Complaints & Reviews

Hughesnet Satellite Internetbilling errors

I signed up for HughesNet simply because there were no other options in my area. I was on the automatic payment plan and had no problems.

A few months ago, my credit card company issued me a new card, and the old card expired. HughesNet began sending me paper invoices through the mail. I would then make a one time credit card payment online. I liked this method of payment better, as I don't really trust automatic billing.

I received a bill in the mail, stating that my current balance plus a previous balance was due on August 4th, 2009. The previous balance had been due July 5th, and I had simply made the mistake of thinking I had already paid.

On July 20th, a pop-up page began appearing, stating that my account was past due. I discovered my error, and promptly made payment of the past due amount online, also opting to set my credit card back up for automatic payments to keep this from happening again. The current balance would then be due August 4th (or so I thought).

After making the payment, I still continued to receive the pop-up page stating my account was past due. I thought maybe their system needed some time to process the payment, so I thought nothing of it.

This morning, I was still receiving the notice of non-payment. I called customer service to explain the situation to them. I was informed that my payment due date was 7/20. I explained that I had a paper invoice that stated otherwise. Not only that, but the automated account information over the telephone stated that my current balance would be automatically drafted from my credit card account on 8/7.

I argued and argued with these people. Apparently, when I made the payment online on 7/20...the system changed my payment due date for the CURRENT balance to 7/20. No one made any apology, they simply stated that if I didn't pay the current balance I would be cut off within 3 days.

So now I've paid them TWICE. I am interested to know whether or not they intend to charge my credit card again on August 7th.

I had hoped to resolve the issue with customer service...but the lady I spoke with was apparently an automaton, as she could only repeat what was on her computer screen over and over again. I spoke with her supervisor and explained that companies cannot arbitrarily change due dates on bills without some sort of notification to the customer. His reply was "consider this your notification". I asked if there was anyone that was in the United States that I could speak with and he told me "no".

I wouldn't recommend HughesNet to ANYONE. I will NEVER recommend them. Period. If I had any choice other than HughesNet or an even worse satellite internet provider in my area, I would gladly switch. HughesNet customer service is horrible...their packages are overpriced...and they are completely worthless, in my opinion.

Hughesnetcancelation fees

Although I agree to hughes net 24th month contract, I never knew hughes net is charging for equipment fee and service fee to a total of 800 dollars. Before they told me it was a $500 fee only. I am deeply hurt and violated. I will pay because I don't know how to avoid this and hope no one will regret getting hughes net. Hughes net is the biggest rip off and I am not happy. I am Hughes net biggest enemy... just remember..
    do not believe what you see, or what you hear.
    I have so much problems with hughes net over the pass months. The equipment they gave me werent even knew... why am i paying so much for used equitment. I had bad connections during the first week, i called for technical support more than 10 times. Yet they do the same procedure everytime and failed. I realized that they weren't smart technical supporters because common sense I knew they had missed errors on fixing my connection problems. I am paying full price on a empty month of no internet service. Technical support came to my house and said my reciever is no longer good and I needed a new one. I know i did not just hear that. I had realized it was a used one ...no good... And this one time I had call for technical support again and more likely trying to get some help... the technical guy was yelling at me that i'm doing his check up procedures wrong. I am done with Hughes net... please someone do something about this and in the future... I work average only 2 days in a week because of job is slow. I might filed for unemployment soon... i'm at full stress. especially after realizing hughes net rip off agreement fee. well thanks for listening

• Mi
        minet Sep 17, 2009

We are experiencing the same problem. Tech support is non-existant and the service is bad. We had no problems for a year, now we get 50kb, when we are paying for 1.5MB. I work from home and is dependant on the internet. I have lost 7 days worth of work and might loose my job, because I cannot get onto the internet. I spend hours in the day with the useless tech support.

HOW CAN THIS COMPANY STAY IN BUSINESS. and we will get slammed with a fine if the czncel before the 24 months, which, by the way, must have been in the small print.

Hughesnet — poor service, no service, rip off

Hughes net sucks... They have on more than one occasion billed my credit card without permission, when I did...

Onaway

Hughesnet — 2-year contract??

I'm trying to cancel my Hughesnet service because we are moving to an area that offers broadband (THANK...

Hughesnetearly termination fee...$400.00

I am having to move to a residence that says I can't attach HughesNet equipment to their home or put a pole in the ground on their property, so, I called HughesNet today and they told me I have to pay the $400.00 fee anyway for canceling early...
      I told them I could get them a letter from the owners, but they said it would not make any difference...
      He actually told me I should move somewhere that allowed HughesNet!!!
      I called my credit card company and they said the only option, if I can't resolve the issue with them, is to get a "new" credit card number...
      However, if I don't pay them, my credit rating will be affected...
      I am "constantly" having trouble with HughesNet ...It's so slow and cuts out all the time...It is a lousy service and VERY expensive for what you get!!!
      Plus, I initially had to pay $125.00 up front to have a pole installed in the yard of where I presently live...
      This company was my "ONLY" option for internet at the time as I live in the country...
      I would love any advise on what to do... Thanks, Summer

Hughesnetdouble charged for installation w/in 90 days of initial service

HughesNet dispatched THEIR contracted technician within 90 days of initial installation (by another of THEIR contractors) because I couldn't receive service. The dispatched service technician advised that the original pole & dish was improperly installed & needed to be moved to restore service. I paid the HughesNet technician who installed my service originally $125. The second technician sent by Hughsnet required payment of $125 to reinstall the pole & dish & HughsNet refuses to credit my account or resolve the matter with THEIR contractor who originally installed my service. I have filed a complaint with the FCC. Any other suggestions for recourse?

• Dc
            d cangelosi Jul 08, 2009

THYE DID THE SAME TO ME

THEN THEY HOOK YOU UP WITH SOME ONE, NOT AN AMERICAN WHO DOES NOT CARE, WHO DOES NOT HAVE THE ABILLITY TO HELP>

THEY GIVE YOU INSTRUCTIONS THAT CAN, IF YOU DO NOT WATCH DELETE INFORMATION ON YOUR COMPUTER.

IN ALL THEY NEED TO BE SUED AND STOPPED.

Hughesnet Internet Service — contract and slow internet speeds

I to like everyone else have been having problems with Hughesnet service for a very long time. I have been a...

Hughesnetchanged service to prevent vpn

Hughes networks made changes on their network to not allow vpn access. I have a machine that will vpn from any location ie.. coffee shop, my house (roadrunner), work, ect... It will not vpn on Hughes network router as of a month ago. There are no supervisors or managers available from Hughes and no one to escalate my call. Formal complaints should be addressed to Hughes Network 11717 Exploration Ln German Town Md 20876. I would recommend that rural folks rally here for a class action lawsuit against the company and file grievances for refund of unopperational services.

Hughesnetfap

I only found out this morning that any page browsing, game playing and even accessing your email account goes against your FAP. Now please someone tell me how this is anyway fair.
            I acknowledge that I did exceed the FAP yesterday morning and that I did wait the required 24 hours, when in fact by trying to access my email 2 hours prior to the FAP being taken off I have to wait an additional 24 hours. I would not have known this if I had not been able to speak to a CSR who could actually speak English.
            People I say let's not let them get away with this. I mean after all we pay for the email account that we are being locked out of.
            Let's bombard the Corp office's with letters of complaints.
            Here are the addresses I use.

Hughes Network Systems
            Customer Relations
            11717 Exploration Lane
            Germantown, MD 20876

Hughes Network Systems
            Customer Relations
            100 Lake Forest Blvd
            Gaithersburg, MD 20877

I have used these address so often that I have them memorized.
            I will not give up until things are improved for those of us that keep them in business and you shouldn't either.

PBM Files Class Action Against HughesNet --- Satellite Broadband Company

The law-firm of Pogust, Braslow, & Millrood, LLC, recently filed in the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania, a lawsuit against HughesNet, Inc., Hughes Communications, Inc., and Hughes Network Systems, LLC, for breach of contract and frauduluent business practices involving the marketing of the HughesNet® Satellite Broadband Network System.

Filed on behalf of HughesNet® subscribers and consumers, the Complaint alleges inter alia that the satellite broadband Company's nationwide advertisement of "Highspeed Internet by Satellite: Wherever Whenever" was materially false and misleading.

The class action lawsuit also alleges that HughesNet intentionally "oversold" its bandwidth, whereby thousands of HughesNet® subscribers and consumers were subjected to limited Internet broadband accessibility, speed, functionality, and connectivity.

Additionally, it is alleged that HughesNet actively marketed HughesNet® subscribers and consumers to upgrade their broadband plan under the representation that such would result in faster Internet broadband access. Despite this, HughesNet® subscribers and consumers experienced significant broadband delays, including extremely slow uploading/downloading speeds, unreliable connectivity, and the inability to access email. Furthermore, HughesNet® subscribers and consumers were often required to incur additional costs, fees, and early termination penalities, as a result of HugheNet's false advertising.

If you or someone you know is a HughesNet® subscriber and/or customer and have experienced similar Internet broadband related issues, please contact our law-firm for a free consultation.

Hughesnetrepair bill

I was not able to get on line for 7 days so hughesnet sent out a repairman. I was told a service call would be 125.00. I agreed but when the serviceman came out he said I wouldn't have to pay the service call because the part on the dish was installed wrong and moisture got in and keeped the signal from getting through. He also said I was still under warranty. Then I get my Discover bill and they charged me 44.21 for which is what I should have paid for the month minusthe charge for the 7 days I was without service. Instead my discouer statement showed 169.21. 125.00 plus the 44.21 reduced monthly charge. I called them and complained and they said they would have to check with the boss and call me right back. I have not heard anything from them for two days. July 5 th is the last day of my warranty and I think they are waiting to tell me I'm out of warranty. If you can help I'd appricate it because being retired and on a fixed income a125.00 is a lot of money. Thank you.. Gary,

• El
                  elvenfire1981 Jun 27, 2009

What you need to do is call back and tell the rep you want to speak only with a sup. or member of mgmt about your problem. If they try to insist on not letting you speak to 1 or hang up on you report them to FCC immediately.

Hughesnetinstallation

We went with Hughes because our friends had a 7000, & being a snow bird can install that unit where ever he goes.

We ended up with a 9000, the installer shrugged his shoulders & said, my boss says you will have to take a installers class.

The gist of this letter...we apply for a class, Lea Hunt with RSI says...sorry, but you have to work for a satellite company.

Randy Brown

<br />
                I am retired. & Now I can't move this unit without paying $160.00 to reinstall it . & some companys out there will only do new installs, this is crap.

Hughesnet Sattelitereturn policy, fap, customer service or lack of!!

I currently live in a very rural community with cable internet stopping 2 miles up the road. I was sucked in on the fast internet ads for hughesnet sattelite internet. I had satt. internet about 7 years ago, and it had no kind of FAP( fair access policy), which means it was insanely fast and had no limits all for the same price. So i went ahead and bought the hughesnet equipment so i wouldnt have to sign a long term commitment. BIG MISTAKE!!! I was told it (hughnet) would work for x-box live. Lie #1. I was told if i upgraded to the pro plan it would support x-box live. Lie #2.I was told of unlimited downloads with an upgrade.Lie #3. I was told if i cancelled my service i would be given an address to return this junk. Lie #4. I have been calling everywhere just to get a damn address so i can send this junk back, and get transferred to some 3rd world country where u cant understand a word their saying. Now they're trying to give me credit on my account which i no longer have. I've been fighting with these [censored]es for 2 months now just to get an address that i can send this back to, so i can get my money. Don't know if it will ever happen. Can anyone help me; [protected]@yahoo.com orcall me at [protected]

Hughesnetunfair use of act! fair usage

I was being capped off @ 200m daily when I am paying for 375m daily. Hughesnet did acknowledge this error but refuses to refund in any manor! I will switch asap. DO not go with hughesnet. Look at all options first!

• Eo
                        eorsbon81 Jul 13, 2009

I also have problems with their service. Please contact the Better Business Bureau at www.bbb.org That is the only way that we can make sure something gets done.

paying2muchalso Jul 24, 2009

I alos have hughesnet and am complely fed up with the fair access crap. I have upgraded twice now paying $99 a month for dial up speed 4 out of 7 days a week due to the so called threshold. How can they limit your access when you pay more and more and MORE money, after expensive installation charges and the steep monthly cost??
                        I find it to be the worst possible service for the amount of money that I have to pay out each month. Will definitely be looking into wildblue satellite or just simply dealing with dial-up if I get the same service! Where I live DSL is not an option...it's either dial-up or satellite.
                        Thanks HughesNet for "allowing" me to have high speed internet that costs a fortune at your discretion... when it's fast its fast.. but like I said, not as often as it should be when you are paying that much for home based internet! Terrible, I will NEVER recommend to others!

paying2muchalso Jul 24, 2009

I had to pay over $600 for installation and set-up. Was great for about 6 months... then they started the fair access policy. Don't know how they find it ligitimate to use the word fair in that statement! Pay and we limit you is more like it. Then you have to wait for 24 hours before it resets... so even weather.com takes 15 min. for the page to load... what a bunch of bs! No use calling because just like the above post..you have to just keep upgrading and spending more and more, for what I'm not sure, still have the same problem at $99 that Ihad at $59 a month lol!

paying2muchalso Jul 24, 2009

However, I will go to the Better Business Bureau website like the post above suggested, something has got to be done with this, it's pretty much a monopoly, they have you right where they want you! Contract, most that have it do not have the option of anything other than dial-up..yahta yahta! As sad as it is, I'm glad to see that my household is not alone in the situation!

paying2muchalso Jul 24, 2009

you are allowed a certain amount of MB downloaded per 24 hours (like 375-400 is what I pay for, because I have upgraded to the business plan and beyond because that will help they say! wow) Still have 6 months of contract left I believe..it may be more like Feb 2010...

paying2muchalso Jul 24, 2009

No unfortunately we don't. We are in between two larger cities by 20 miles each..lol so of course I have to pay a fortune for satelitte TV also, but at least it works as promissed! No cable is offered past a specific road about 8 miles west.. and 4 miles east, lovely eh? I can pretty much get any dial-up service out there, but that's my choices... even 2 neighbors have hughesNet.. same problems!

• Us
                        usmcbama Apr 19, 2011

I pay $85.00 monthly to recieve a 410MB a day HughesNet service plan! If I exceed my daily limit my service shuts down for a 24+ hour period. I have no other option besides dial-up because I live in the country. When I see that most consumers are being offered bundled packaged of phone/TV/internet for less than what I pay for HughesNet... I am sickened. This is clearly a case of "PRICE GOUGING" by HughesNet!!! HughesNet has a package offering unlimited downloads but the cost exceeds $300 monthly. Things have drastically changed since HughesNet services have become available. With the onslaught of services for PC/MAC, iPads, iPhones, BluRay, Netflix, XBox... all software updates needed on a daily basis to keep these services including the operating systems well exceed what they are pushing off on their customers.

Hughes Net Satellite Dsl — fap mode

Ok you can see I'm from a little hole in the wall town in kansas, actually outside of town about 5...

Hughesnetmultiple complaints

I have several. We have been with Hughesnet for 5 years. We have had a huge amount of problems to include:
                      1. Our original setup from hughes did not set it up properly. They put one of 4 screws on the radio that attaches to the dish. This caused the radio to get wet and burn out. It took several weeks to get them to get a technician out to repair it.
                      2. FAP. I could understand that the fair access policy is in place to protect my neighbors (who are on hughesnet) from having their service interrupted. However, 200mb per day is not very much. Also, they offered more downloadability if I paid more. Now, this tells me that it has nothing to do with fairness to my neighbors.. it has to do with money. They dont care about my neighbors or they wouldnt have the option available if I paid more.
                      3. Customer service. Nothing against India's residents, but I live in the United States and speak english. Customer service representatives for Hughesnet live in India and speak very little english. This has been a source of continued frustration.

I am happy to announce that Qwest is now in my area and I get to ditch hughesnet. This is a great day!!!

PBM Files Class Action Against HughesNet --- Satellite Broadband Company

Hughesnetall you need to know about hughes net

Hi,
                        To all the Hughes net sufferers, who have been somehow cheated wrongly informed or have been promised something which was never delivered.
                        I am about to let you know how to give them back, what you deserve.
                        I will let you know, everything there is to know about Hughes net (ISP). This article is referring to the following modem types: DW 4000, DW 6000, DW 7000, HN 7000, HN 7000S and HN 9000.
                        I will discuss about the following:
                        1. FAP (Fair Access Policy)
                        2. Slow Speed (slow download/ slow upload/Speed disclaimer)
                        3. OOW (Out of Warranty work order / Out of warranty Modem)
                        4. Installers complain (Wrong installation done)
                        5. Email Issues (Webmail, Configuring Email client)
                        6. How to speak to advance tech support (Tier III)

 FAP (FAIR ACCESS POLICY):
                        This is what Hughes net has to say about it:

Some activities are more likely to exceed the download threshold and trigger the application of the Fair Access Policy (FAP). Several examples are listed below:
                        Full-length movie downloads
                        Peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing programs such as Napster, Kazaa or LimeWire
                        Continuous downloading or viewing streaming media content such as audio or video programming
                        Hosting of server devices such as email, FTP or Web servers
                        Hosting computer applications such as Web camera feeds
                        Automated computer to computer connections used for archiving of local computer content
                        Extensive downloading of Usenet Newsgroups (NNTP)
                        Use of BitTorrent applications
                        Simultaneous file downloads
                        Downloading large files (i.e., file sizes that are close in size to the download threshold of your service plan)
                        Excessive downloading or use of the services described above may cause subscribers to be affected by the Fair Access Policy, or in severe cases, to be terminated from the service.

But for more info about it please visit this link.

The above information is all ###.
                        What is FAP actually is, any hughesnet subscriber can only download a certain amount of megabyte in any 24 hrs according to their respective plan.
                        That means that you can only use your internet connect for a certain time only. Now when I say 24 hrs it does not mean one day (Which everyone is confused about). It means your total download or internet usual should not exceed your total download threshold eg: 200 MB in the last 24 hrs. The 24 hrs is a cyclic clock and not a fixed 24 hr clock. When I say download it does not mean you have actually download data. Any internet usage done online eg: surfing website like google, chatting, playing game etc.
                        You have an OPEN Window which is 3 am to 6 am EST. But most of the time the usage data recorded in incorrect. Even when you have turn off the P.C or the Hughes net modem still it will record some usage on it, which stats that the usage is very incorrect.

Now there is a good new for DW 4000, DW 6000, DW 7000, HN 7000 and HN 7000S users. Hughesnet’s technical support can deactivate the FAP for a customer twice in a month. So you can call the Technical support and tell them that, when the usage page shows data online the P.C and the modem is turned off. You don’t use a router and the windows update or any other software update is turned off, because they will try to blame the router or the windows update. The technical support will reset the FAP for you on the call then a there. Do not get off the call until the FAP is deactivated, because if you are informed they will forward the info to someone or some other Dept then nothing is going to be done at all.

MORAL OF THE THIS STORY: Call up hughes net tech support has ask them to reset you FAP as they can do that. Twice in a month.

 Slow Speed (slow download/ slow upload/Speed disclaimer):
                        What Hughes net has to say about it?
                        With the Home service plan, you can connect to the Internet with maximum download speeds up to 1.0 Mbps, with typical speeds about 550 Kbps to 650 Kbps during peak times. Upload speeds, which are capable of reaching 128 Kbps, are typically 70 Kbps to 80 Kbps during peak hours.

With the Pro plan, connect to the Internet with maximum download speeds of up to 1.2 Mbps, with typical speeds about 700 Kbps to 800 Kbps during peak times. Upload speeds, which are capable of reaching 200 Kbps, are typically 100 Kbps to 120 Kbps during peak hours.

With the Proplus plan, connect to the Internet with maximum download speeds of up to 1.6 Mbps, with typical speeds about 800 Kbps to 1.0 Mbps during peak times. Upload speeds, which are capable of reaching 250 Kbps, are typically 130 Kbps to 150 Kbps during peak hours.

With the Elite plan, connect to the Internet with maximum download speeds of up to 2.0 Mbps, with typical speeds about 1.0 Mbps to 1.2 Mbps during peak times. Upload speeds, which are capable of reaching 300 Kbps, are typically 165 Kbps to 180 Kbps during peak hours.

With the ElitePlus plan, connect to the Internet with maximum download speeds of up to 3.0 Mbps, with typical speeds about 1.6 Mbps to 1.8 Mbps during peak times. Upload speeds, which are capable of reaching 300 Kbps, are typically 165 Kbps to 180 Kbps during peak hours.

With the ElitePremium plan, connect to the Internet with maximum download speeds of up to 5.0 Mbps, with typical speeds about 2.7 Mbps to 3.0 Mbps during peak times. Upload speeds, which are capable of reaching 300 Kbps, are typically 165 Kbps to 180 Kbps during peak hours.

If you choose to run a VPN over your satellite service, your data speeds may be reduced by as much as 50-75%. In addition, we do not recommend using HughesNet® to run time-sensitive applications that require fractions-of-a-second user inputs (such as twitch gameplay or real-time equities trading).

For more info try this link:

What I have to say about it:
                        Hughes net connection speed sucks. All the Ads on the Television are lies.

You will always face slow connection speed with Hughes net and there is nothing you can do or they can do about it. Because it is that way the system is designed. Hughes net connection is based on SHARED BANDWITH. That means the entire HughesNet customers share the same band with available through HughesNet. So the more customer hughesnet has the lesser speed you individually you will get.
                        Now when you will call Hughes net for any slow connection issue, let it be slow upload or slow download. All they (Tier 1) will do is they will ask you to delete your P.C’s Cache, cookies and browser history. Restart the P.C in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING. And at the end they will asked you to run the 5 Web response test back to back (not the SPEED TEST) but the response test. If the Web response test is any where below 12 then they will ask you to run the test for 2 days and call back. What it does is nothing. Just buy time. And when you call back after 2 days and after running the test all you will get is a SPEED DISCLAIMER. That is you will get no more. Because the web response test will most of the time will be below 12. So if you want to get the issue resolved then you have to speak to the ADVANCE TECH support. And the only way you can speak to Advance tech support is when you don’t run the speed test. Inform the person that you can’t run the speed test. Tell them as soon as you click on Initiate Web Response test you get the error “Page cannot be displayed”. And so they will transfer you to Advance tech support and then you can run the test and do the troubleshooting that is required. And after that you don’t have to speak to tier I as you can refer you case number that you got from Tier III.

MORAL OF THIS STORY: DO WANT IS STATED IT ABOVE AND YOU WILL GET ISSUE RESOLVE OR CANCEL THE CONTRACT.

 OOW (Out of Warranty work order / Out of warranty Modem):
                        What Hughes net has to say about it?
                        Hughes warrants to the original buyer that under normal use and wear the equipment used to access the Service (the “Equipment”), which includes the Indoor Unit (satellite modem), Power Supply, and Outdoor Unit (Antenna & Radio Assembly), will be free from defects in material and workmanship for a standard limited warranty term of 24 months* from the date of activation. Any Equipment replaced or repaired under this warranty will be warranted for the remainder of the original warranty period or thirty (30) days, whichever is longer. This warranty is not transferable.
                        If under normal use and wear, the Equipment becomes defective in materials or workmanship during the warranty period set forth above, Hughes shall at its option and expense, perform one of the following:
                        • We will repair or replace the defective Equipment within thirty (30) days of the date the defective Equipment was returned to Hughes’ designated address at your expense, to cause it to comply with the terms of this Limited Warranty. Reconditioned replacement components, parts, units or materials may be used if the Equipment is repaired or replaced.
                        • If service to the Outdoor Unit (satellite antenna and transmitter) is required, Hughes will, at its expense, repair or replace it pursuant to the limited warranty for the first six months after installation. From six months to the end of your limited warranty period, Hughes will cover the cost of the replacement equipment, but the cost of the onsite service technician visit, if necessary, will be paid by you. You may request a price estimate prior to the work, based on the type of the replacement. If your satellite antenna needs to be re-pointed after the first 6 months of service, a standard onsite visit fee will be charged to you. Reconditioned replacement components, parts, units or materials may be used if the Equipment is repaired or replaced.
                        • We may upgrade the Equipment to a later-generation product that performs the same function and complies with the terms of this Limited Warranty.
                        THESE ARE YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDIES FOR DEFECTS DURING THE WARRANTY PERIOD IN ANY EQUIPMENT COVERED BY THE LIMITED WARRANTY. To request Limited Warranty service you must contact Hughes Customer Service, toll-free, at [protected] within the Limited Warranty period.
                        For more info check the link:

What I have to say about it:
                        Keep a check on your warranty status check when it is going to expire. People whose warranty status is still active nothing to worry. But for those whose warranty status has expired there are options:
                        1. Sign up for an Express repair home so instead of paying $125 for the Out of warranty work order you will only pay $99.
                        2. Ask for credits ask the tech person for credit speak to the sup and his sup till you get the credit that does not mean you get for 1-2 week. Credit means you should get the whole credit for the work order.
                        3. If there was a tech sent out to your location in the last 6 mths then you have put an installer complain that the installation was not done correctly and they will have to send a tech out free.
                        4. Speak with the Retentions dpt and ask them to waive off the charge, they can do that.

MORAL OF THIS STORY: HUGHES NET WILL AND SHOULD SEND A TECH OUT FREE. SPEAK WITH A SUPERVISOR AND IF REQUIRED SPEAK TO HIS.

 Installers complain (Wrong installation done):

What Hughes net has to say: Nothing they don’t have anything to say. But we can get them.
                        What I have to say about it:
                        Well you can only file an Installer complain if the installation was done in the last 6 months. If you think that the installer has not done his job properly, which is true most of the time or if the installer was rude to you. Call up technical support and file an installer complain speak to supervisor in this scenario. What you can do is call them up and tell them that the installer did not install the antenna in the right position, it is pointing toward the tree or something else. The antenna is not fixed right it keeps on shaking or moving when there is wind. The cables are lying in front of the lawn or it is not put underground. When the complain is filed and you are given a case number, you will get a call back within 48 hrs from the install escalation dpt. In this case always speak with a Supervisor.

 Email Issues (Webmail, Configuring Email client):
                        What Hughes net has to say about it: We don’t support this we don’t support that.

What I have to say about it:
                        If you face any issue with your email. First check if you are able to access you emails from the webmail that is: http://home.myhughesnet.com/
                        Try to sign and check your email, check if you are able to send and receive emails from this website. If you are then Hughes net will say everything is OK. And will refer you to someone else.
                        So try to configure the Email client (Outlook/ Outlook Express etc) by yourself.
                        If you need help in it try the link: http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/email/config/
                        Other than that you will require.
                        Incoming server: mail.hughes.net
                        Outgoing server: smtp.hughes.net
                        Username: (This will be you complete email address)
                        Leave the rest as it is.
                        For more info check other links:

MORAL OF THIS STORY: TRY TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE BY YOURSELF AND IF HAVE TO CALL TECH SUPPORT SPEAK WITH A SUPERVISOR AS THEY KNOW WHAT THEY DO.

 How to speak to advance tech support (Tier III):
                        What Hughes net has to say about it: We can’t transfer you to Tier III, Sorry you will have to troubleshoot the whole thing again.
                        Following are the ways to speak to Tier III:
                        1. If you have spoken to tier III in the last 7 days refer the case number. And if they refuse to transfer tell them you refuse to troubleshoot and want to speak to tier III only. Speak with the supervisor and he will authorize the transfer.
                        2. If you have spoken to Tier III much prior to 7 last then. When they ask you to open the System Control Center by: 192.168.0.1. They will ask you to ask you to provide the Transmit status. Give the transmit status as TX code 9. What they will try to do is switch off the modem and restart it. What ever they do you have to say that the Transmit status is still TX code 9. And they will transfer you to Advance technical support. You can try this even during the Troubleshooting.

Other tips for all you Hughes users:
                        IF YOU CHECK YOU SYSTEM CONTROL CENTER (TYPE 192.168.0.1 in your address bar), check your system status.
                        If your TX code is
                        6 or 7: you need to re point the antenna and at the end send a tech out or speak to advance tech support.
                        10 or 13: you will need a tech at your location.
                        9: you need to speak to Advance tech support.
                        24: your transmit cable or the transmitter has an issue. You need a tech out.

And one more thing: SPEAK TO THE SUPERVISOR’S as they know what they are doing. And the reps have no idea what the issue all about.

For any feedback or any info contact me on: [protected]@gmail.com

aroldfut Nov 13, 2009

I have called Hughes at least 100 times since installing the system in 2003. Slow service, no service, Fair Access Policy, you name it, I've had to call. I know everyone in India by name. This morning I tried their online chat to resolve my recurring slow upload/download problem. As usual they have you run their tests which are always within range and satisfactory for THEIR STANDARDS. However, I tried three times to download a 54 second video from youtube and it took eleven-minutes to download. Their 'standards' have nothing to do with reality, just crap they tell you to get you off the phone.

My neighbor recently installed hughes and was given a 9000 series modem. When I called Hughes I was told that modem was not available. Sounds like lying to me??

IF I had ANY OTHER CHOICE FOR INTERNET HUGHES WOULD BE HISTORY!

• Eh
                            EhBiteme Jun 12, 2012

I agree, Hughes Net suck! A friend of mine told me that he got GCI, he can download whenever he want's with out going over his limit. He download movies and music and there's no waiting to download, with Hughes Net I have to start my download 10pm to 3am and that really sucks!

Hughes Net Satellite Servicetermination of services, customer support and billing

Hughes Net Satellite broke, I called tech support after hours of automated trouble shooting a service repair man was scheduled. Took off from work, met repair man. Nice guy, but had no equipment to repair my satellite 'in truck'. so...why come? He could not identify problem without the equipment and therefore, could not fix it that day. Cost $125 for trip...explained, no fixy no payee. Requested termination of services-cost $300. fine...part of contract. Unknown to me...continued to be billed for services that were not usable. I can only guess there was a communication problem with the representative since English is clearly not their strong suit. Saw this on visa bill, so I contacted customer service...be prepared to speak to foreigners with heavy accents-and no they will not transfer you when you ask them to speak to someone whose English is a a little better. Sent a letter via email...thinking bypass the accent issue... 'customized' automated response. So I have paid $69.95 since February and now an additional $300 to terminate the service. Worth it.

Very displeased.

I am now an embarq customer. Thank Goodness.

• Te
                              Terry Jun 12, 2009

I called Hughes for there satelite system and talk to there sells department they suggested I go with there Pro plan with two computer hook up with the free installation, when the service guys came out here, they told me there was only going to be the one computer hook up and the other would cost me $50.00. Now everything is hooked up, 30 min after service guys leave the system keeps turning off and rebooting leaving your work on line stranded, called tech support and they said it will cost me more money to have sevice guys come back out to replace the modem, and that they would'nt refund my $50.00 for the hook up on the second computer and... I would have to pay the shipping to have the other modem sent back to them. So now I find myself stuck paying for a product that doesn't work, After 24 hours dealing with tech support and not having a reliable internet service, I told them I wasn't going to pay out another penny until there system was up and working correctly, Haven't got to the $300 discontinue bill yet!! NOT PLEASED AT ALL> WASTE OF MY TIME AND MONEY!!!

• Ly
                              Lydia Mathews Apr 08, 2010

I think you you stop advertising that HughesNet is the fastest download there is. I think it is bull crap. I sit here waiting and waiting for eons for things to download and I find it to be very tiresome. We are paying right at $100 a month for crappy internet service. I did call customer support right after we got your system, they told me that HughesNet was not up to some of the newer computers. I have a Compaq which is about 4 months old running windows 7. Your customer service told me to download Firefox, which I did, and it runs only a tiny amount faster than Windows, but still the service and download time is AWFUL. Customer service said that if the Firefox did not correct my problem that I would need to downgrade my Windows. I think that is ridiculous. Why would I want to purchase a new grade computer only to downgrade it?????? that is stupid!!! If ever someone asks me about how the quality of your system is, believe me, I will not refer them to you! Have a great day.

• Ro
                              rockybla Feb 09, 2011

Hughes Net Internet Satellite Service has the most uninformed and rudest support/service system I have encountered. Give me India over this group. Good luck if you choose to go with this company. I was foolish to consider signing up for this internet service. I'm not.
                              I simply wanted to change my installation billing from the debit card I submitted to direct withdrawal from checking after I lost my debit card and had to cancel it. Hours of calls to several different departments, I reached an operator who was changing the billing information, and she said that she had computer problems...call back. I did. This operator referred me elsewhere and the maze of calls to departments continued. Finally, on internet support, I got the number, [protected], where the problem could be fixed. Wrong. The service lady wasn't sure that she could, but didn't think so. I asked for a manager. The female manager was agitated and rude. She said the change couldn't be made. I recounted my history of almost having it changed, and the mentioned that I had been referred by the internet service department. She responded with sarcasm. I asked for her name or operator's number, and she said, "Call ended, " and hung up. Very irritating experience but I can cancel before getting hooked into a two year sentence/contract with this so-called service.

Hughesnetcrap service and charging more for it

My girlfriend and I moved to Gladwin, its a small farming town in mid-Michigan. After a few months of having no internet or TV we decided to get Hughesnet since the neghibors had it. We stopped at a local "computer shop" in town. I say "computer shop" because they deal mostly in Alltel cell phones. Anywho, they send a guy out quick as can be with the promise that we'll have high speed, broadband internet. Broadband yes, but not speed wise. Its broadband as in the cable it broad compared to phone cable. Thats it. The Alltel shop said they would be giving us a free installation. A guy came out and set it up, charged us $125 for a pole in out backyard even though we had a satellite pole already as the previous tenants had DishTV. After its set up and theres a hole in the side of my house which you can see through he takes the $125 and goes. He leaves me the boxes which is fine, I like boxes. When I get an account statement I find that they've charged me $270 for nothing at all. I've never signed a contract, i've never spoken to these people and it was a struggle to get rid of their service. I had it for four days and have already decided that dial-up would be better. i've signed nothing, given them one check for $125 and now have a hole for insects to crawl in and out of my house through. The worst part is that I had no connection 80% of the time and when I did it was slower that 56K. They've said they will refund me the $125 and the activation charge but I have yet to recieve any of that.

• Je
                                Jefa Ali Jun 16, 2009

I agree 100% with the experience of Killjoy Zero. I had pretty much the exact situation. They came out - they charged to install a pole - what free installation??? It is NOT faster than dialup. I complained to the company 11 days after installation -- and they conveniently waited until TWO days after the 30 day "complaint" window to get back to me. I finally wrote to my State Attorney General. We'll see if I get any results going that route. I WOULD VEHEMENTLY DISCOURAGE ANYONE FROM GETTING HUGHES NET! IT IS NOT WHAT IT ADVERTISES. Their service is pathetic. When I complained - I got someone in India who informed me, "Internet there is working good." NO IT IS NOT!!! DO NOT GET HUGHES.NET. You will regret it.

• Ra
                                razorwirekiss Nov 12, 2009

We live in the foothills of Yosemite and we have one choice of internet company so we went and got hugheshit service . we are not really super downloaders or anything but we kept overing our FAP (Yes look that up BEFORE you purchase Hugheshite!!!)

We averaged about 12kbs during our 24 hour punishment for actually using the internet!!!

We have now switched to local broadband company STI and they are friendly efficient and their call center is actually nearby and no in India!!!

So ### you Hugheshite and your crappy internet service

Love C and S

Art Aug 03, 2011

Maybe your complaint is not with HughesNet themselves but rather with the idiots you are ordering the service from. HughesNet is a good solid product and offers a great service that is useful to those that live outside the DSL and cable areas. And it seems to me that you are complaining about the product instead of pointing the finger at the guy that did a lazy install for you. Kind of like saying you hate all chocolate cake because the baker you got it from was lousy. Next time do some research and order it from an experienced company that deals in HughesNet only. You will recieve exceptional service that way.

Art Aug 03, 2011

HughesNet cost is 399.99. The installation portion of that is 199.00 with the other 200.00 as the cost of equipment. There is no longer any charges for pole mounts. The basic speeds of HughesNet is 1000 k. The majority of folks actually get 900 plus as an actual speed. If you have had a bad experience, you should call Hughes and get it resolved. I am a HughesNet Tech and I can tell you that there are alot of guys running around pretending to be installers with little or no training. Please...do NOT order the system from any out of state dealers. If they cannot give you their local address (no matter what state you live in), then hang up and look for a local dealer. You will get much better service without the salesman misleading you because he will never see you. The local dealers do a much better job because their techs have to answer to them and their reputaion is on the line with every install. If the dealer sells more cell phones than anything else, then they are not the people you want to deal with...PLEASE DON'T KNOCK THE PRODUCT BECAUSE THE "MAN" DID YOU WRONG.

Hughesnet — service outages

Hughes net use of proxy servers and port forwarding standard Internet Protocol from port 80 to port 87 ...

Hughesnetlimited use of internet service

We live in the country in Montana and were told Hughesnet was the only game in town. I called tonight to complain of the many hours that I cannot access my computer and was told (by someone in the PHILIPPINES) that I was being punished due to using more mega bites or whatever they call it... I just found out about the "FAIR USE POLICY' and asked them if they were serious??? She said it was in my contract and I told her please send me a contract so I can read it, she said I can get it on the internet! I told her, "no I cannot get it on internet because I cannot access it at the moment that is why I was calling!!!"
                              Also, we pay $90.00 a month for this lousy internet service, cannot talk to anyone in the USA and can't understand what they are saying half the time. We tried to cancel them after we had the service a couple of months and they sent us a bill for over $800.00 for early termination! I reinstated the service just because I did not want that $800.00 looming over my head. They said it was in my contract, but I never signed a contract because if I had one to read, I would have never gone with Hughesnet... I have asked then several times for a contract to be sent to me, but they tell me to go to Hughesnet customer care online... Online, when I am being punished and cannot use any more time on the internet. They are a ripe off company, horrible service, lousy customer service and they overcharge for their so called internet service. My neighbor has dial up and pays $9.99 a month and has better internet service and access than we do. I will be filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau as soon as I can get the forms, but gee, can't right now, I am being punished for using over the amount allocated to us for downloads, which includes emails! They told me to use it between 5-6 pm... I told the person on the other end of the line, I am at work and do not get home until after 7pm and I cannot always use the internet because I cannot get ONLINE!!! THIS IS HIGHWAY ROBBERY AND NEEDS TO BE STOPPED! How many complaints does it take to shut them down? It is not like the United States would loose jobs, they are all overseas... India, the Philippines and probably more countries than we know...