Hoveroundreseach hoveround power chairs before you buy

L

I am disabled in a power chair. With a power chair I am completely independent. Without a chair I would be in a nursing home. I use the chair 90 percent of the time for everything. I go to doctors, grocery shopping, and malls. Do laundry and everything else that needs to be done. Medicare was kind enough to purchase me a new chair that the list price is $11, 800.

The company I chose to supply the chair was Hoveround. I based my decision only on two factors, distance to be able to travel, and performance. I talked to the sales staff and looked at everything on their website. Hoveround offers the largest batteries of any manufacture that Medicare approves of and highest performance.

The first thing that they misrepresent on the website is they advertise 70 amp hour batteries. The owner’s manual said it comes with 75 amp hour batteries. The batteries in my Hoveround Technique XHD are 60 amp hour batteries. They advertise on their website speed up to 5 miles per hour, mine goes 3 miles per hour. The manual states the chair is programed for 90 percent forward speed. The highest speed the service technician could set on it was 85 %. Their cane holder for the chair is advertise at $25.00 on their web site but when you go to buy it is $60.00.

First of all I don’t know if Medicare knows they paid for a used chair not new. The man who delivered it told me it was a demo. The right arm rest was all scratch up and I made him replace it. In the first month these are some but not all of the things that have happen. Batteries went bad and had to be replaced, elevated leg rests fell off on the side walk and I ran one over with the chair. Seat adjustment knob fell off. The cup that is supplied with the chair the handle just fell off. Most all the bolts and nuts came loose and I personally had to put lock tight on all nuts and bolts that don’t have a nylock nuts on them, battery charger went bad. The best distance I can get out of the chair is 5.5 miles before the batteries are completely exhausted. Not very good for a chair that is rated at 20 miles on their website.

I was told by head of Technical support that the chair should give at least 10 miles no matter the terrain or riders weight. Well this chair won’t do it. The foam filled tires (I have had them on all my chairs and they were all excellent) get no traction at all. Spin all the time trying to get up the ramps in the local buses. I can put the wheels up against a one inch speed bump and spin them until I set them on fire. They are Junk!

I was told a reclining seat cost $1874.00. No other manufacture has a reclining seat that even is half of that price. I wrote a letter to Medicare about the problems over a month ago but no response from them. Well I am stuck with this chair for 5 years. I am glad I still have my old chair so I can get where I need to go because this Hoveround chair won’t do it and is unreliable. I had to push this chair home twice and that I shouldn’t even be trying to do that. So now this American made piece of Garbage sits in the corner. I will have to spend money on my old chair so I can do what I have to do.

Hoveround advertises their chair falsely in their manuals and on their website. It is ashamed they find it necessary to miss inform disabled people about their product simply to make a profit. Well I guess that is the American way! Under the Medicare rules the chair is leased to them and then after 13 months owner ship is turned over to me after the warranty is gone. If it was mine legally I would sue Hoveround immediately and let a judge decide the outcome. I can’t believe Medicare will let them get away with this. I can’t say anything about Hoveround other products just the product I got. It is no wonder Americans buy Japanese and china products.

It seems Americans can’t build anything reliable anymore. One other thing Hoveround on their website advertises is their chairs are indoor outdoor chairs. This is one American that is not going to let them get away with it. I am going to the better business bureau, consumer affairs, attorney general’s office and the president of the United States if need be! It is time someone stands up and fights back. Well I got lots of time on my hands and a good computer! Either Hoveround makes their promises come true on this product or the WAR is on. This is not a Threat it is a FACT. I will find someone out there that has the power to put a stop to all this if I spend the rest of my life doing so. I am an honest and fair man and won’t be taken advantage of. Hoveround do what you say you will, or get out of the business.

PS: Their technicians are nothing but parts re-placers; they know as much about how a chair works as I know about making atom bombs.