Having problems with HomeAdvisor?

1877 800 3177 (Customer Service)
+1 303 963 7200 (Head Office)
14023 Denver West Pkwy, Suite 200
Sat7:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Sun7:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Complaints & Reviews

Scams

ServiceMagic.Com is a scam. Bad leads, no refounds or credits. No prescreening of contractors like they claim. I think the Fed`s should investigate Service Magic and close their doors. Complete Ripe-Off for contractors and home owners alike!
I should know as I was a Plumbing Contractor that tried their service. Closed my Account, Never looking back!

Not posting negative comments

I used ServiceMagic.com to locate a masonry contractor to do some work on my property in NJ. I used a recommendation from their website considering the plethora of positive reviews on their site. The contractor turned out to be far different than the glowing reviews on the site. Frankly it was a disaster. I then posted a negative review on ServiceMagic.com to ensure that truthful, factual information was available for anyone looking to use this contractor in the future. ServiceMagic.com touts their review capability to allow consumers to properly evaluate contractors on their site based upon actual work performed. A nice unbiased feature I thought.

After several weeks of my review not being posted I contact ServiceMagic.com to see what the hold up was. They told me it was still in the review process. I called them a week later, they said they don't have a record of it. I sent it again, waited a few weeks and after not hearing from them again I called them. They told me someone would contact me shortly to ensure that the review was accurate as they don't want to post negative reviews unless it's screened first. I never got a call.

ServiceMagic.com derives the lions share of their revenue from vendors who use their services such as web site creation/management and referrals. As such they are high incentives not to damage those relationships by posting negative feedback. It should be clear to anyone on the above sequence of events that this is the case. I've given up on trying to get the negative review posted and instead am going to tell everyone I know not to use service magic.com as you are getting a completely biased picture of vendors which is in direct opposition of what their stated purpose is. Shame on you ServiceMagic!

Joe918 Apr 14, 2010

Thank you for posting your warning. Unfortunately, I found it too late! A few weeks ago, I found a contractor, called 800 New Look thru SermiveMaigic.com to do roofing and siding on my house. They did roofing, but left nails everywhere on the roof. They installed some roof vent caps, but did not cut vent holes under the caps. When doing the siding, they turned all my aluminum awnings into trash. They awnings provided nice shades to my front/back porches and windows, costed over $5000 orginally. The contractor originally promised to keep or work around the awnings, but they eventually ruined them into pieces lying on the ground. I complained to ServiceMagic by posting negative rating and reviews, but they all went nowhere! Apparently, ServiceMagic takes money from contractors, not from consumers like me. Therefore, they are on the side of the bad contractors and unwilling to disapplease them. This $8000 lesson for me is: NEVER use ServiceMagic.com again!

• Il
    iluvscrat Oct 13, 2010

I have enough trouble finding good contractors on my own...I would have probably checked out ServiceMagic but now I certainly won't. Thanks for the warning!

clydesmom Jul 19, 2012

We also found out too late. Their resolution process is a joke! We were totally ripped off. They need to be thoroughly investigated and put out of business - probably should do jail time!

Taken for a ride

After a good start with Servicemagic things went south FAST. Wasting our time as contractors with fabricated, cohersed, or incorrect leads is unforgivabe. Yes they tell the customer that they will not have to pay, yet they do not inform them the us, the contractor pays(yes everyone that recieved the lead). In addition they claim that the lead gets sent to 3or 4 contractors, this is bunk, I know of 6 fellow contractors friends that have recieved the same lead. There response was that different peope from the same companys were calling. I personally know this is not true. Ive been debating cancelling the service for quite some thime as Ive had my leads shut off for over a year due to there deceptive buisness practices and after reading other complaints, I made up my mind. My advice to any contactor thinking of joining (DONT ) !!! Unless you have time and money to waste. Stu co GTC Mass.

Do not rely on them

We relied upon Service Magic's recommendation of a Contractor based on their "10 point Prescreening Service Guarantee" and hired one of the four recommended to repair our deck. When our contractor first showed signs of reneging on his commitment, I contacted Service Magic which stated that this particular Contractor was no longer with them, and that they had no way to encourage his compliance. They had not notified me that he was no longer a recommended contractor. When he abandoned our project (and I have found out since, did shoddy and incompetent, even dangerous repairs in the limited work he did perform) I complained to Service Magic with a phone call and email. They have not returned by emails or calls.

Do NOT rely on Service Magic - They do NOT stand by their contractors and are apparently a gloried advertizing agency.

ALEX OJEDA Jun 26, 2010

I CONTACTED service magic AND WAS GIVEN LEADS IN THE WRONG AS WELLAS WORK THAT I CALLED THE FOLLOWING DAY AND TOLD THAT THAT WORK HAD BEEN DONE FOR SOMETIME, CATEGORY CALLED THEM TO INFORMED IMMEDIATELY OK YOU ARE CREDITED FOR THAT AND PROMISED TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM BUT CONTINUED TO GET THIS FAXES SEVERAL A DAY GOT HOME AND SAW AGAIN THE PROBLEM CONTINUED i ADVICE THEM DISCONTINUE THE SERVICE THE NEXT DAY THEY ARE STILL COMING WENT TO MY BANK AND WAS INFORMED THAT $140.00 SOME HAD BEEN TAKEN FROM MY ACCOUNT i THEN INFORMED THEM THAT STOP THEM ADVICE i HAD TO CANCELED THE CARD AFTER 3 WEEKS AGAIN IT ALL STARTS UP AGAIN o THEN CALLED FOR THE 2ND TIME AND INFORMED I HAD SUSPENDED THE SERVICE AND NO MORE WAS TO BE SENT, TOLD THEM THAT i HAD CANCELED BUT TO NO AVAIL IT KEEPS COMING, i SPOKE W/ SOME ONE IN COLORADO AND THEY AGREED AS TO THE CALLS WHERE THE ONES i COMPLAINED NOW AN AUGMENTED BILL SHOWS UP FROM A COLLECTION FIRM I WILL BE FILLING A COMPLAIN WITH THE (BBB ) BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU TO HAVE THEM CONTACTED AS THEY CONTINUE THE HARASSMENT AND I HAVE EVERY ONE OF THE LEADS i GOT ON MY FAX MACHINE IF ANY ONE WOULD CARE TO READ AND SEE HOW YOUR COMPANY FAILED TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE PROBLEM FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME AND RECTIFY THE PROBLEM
    SINCERLY ALEX OJEDA

homeontherange Sep 27, 2010

I hired a crummy roofer through ServiceMagic. Even though the roof leaked, not only did SM not live up to its service guarantee, but kept the roofer on its listings and he's there to this day. I gave crappy feedback and it was not put on their listing.

Terrible service

I have started using Service Magic since my business has been slow and I have received numerous request for bids on local work. I am all in for going to a job site and giving my input on jobs with fair prices. I do not like the fact when you have contractors that contact you to bid work and expect you to do a half *** job and put your name on it. I'm sorry but I am not doing that to the customer. Plus we bid numerous jobs being they are free estimates. My issues is for the consumer to call either way when not using us and contractors don't lie to your customers. That is not good business practice. So we are now advertising on our web site and local paper and not using service magic.

Samuel Jan 12, 2009

I have been a faithful fool of Service Magic. Their filters are non existent. In theory it does work. The problem is there are too many tire kickers and internet players that are not legitimate. If you waste more time and complain they might give you back a few bad leads, good luck. The contractor pays and pays and pays while the customers are not serious. They will not allow you to pay for bids so you are at the mercy of the customer, if they exist, and you waste more time while Service Magic rakes in the money form 3 or 4 contractors one each POTENTIAL LEAD.

There filters suck and their service is worse. They should be invaded and their computers burned!!!

Alfred Jan 15, 2009

In recent communication with Servic Magic company regarding an Installer for my shed, purchased through Betty Mills, I was given installers to contact for my service needs through Service Magic.

I engaged with Service Magic who recommended the installer, Al's Construction, and I hired them as my shed installer. That hiring took place at the beginning of November 2017.

The installation was estimated by the manufacturer, to take 2 to 3 days. Al's Construction completed the installation in 3+ weeks. See below the historical activity for the installation:

Week or October 27th 2017 Al’s Construction contacted me in response to installing my Betty Mills 10x12 shed. The following events have occurred following that telephone dialog with Al:

· The week of 11/27/2017 Al spoke to me on the telephone and verbally agreed to perform the installation of my 10x12 shed for the agreed amount of $420.00. Joe agrees to receive payment in full when the shed is built.

· Al visited the property for a site review on 11/1/2017 and he approved of the site location and reiterated his agreement to assemble the shed

· During Al’s visit, I addressed upcoming weather stating that he should begin the job on 11/3/2017 versus a previous date he suggested of 11/6/2017 due to forecasted rain on that date.

· Al agreed to begin the assembly job on 11/3/2017 and anticipated the completion of the job in 1 ½ days. He told me that he would have Joe come in on 11/3/2017 and start to dig the foundation and begin the assembly of the foundation kit.

· 11/3/2017 – Joe arrives on the job with Al, Joe begins the foundation work and AL leaves 11/2 hours into the job. Al asks me to pay him up front for the work. I agee to pay Al 50% up front and give him a check for $210.00. Al cashes that check that day . Joe does some raking of the site and attempt to level the 4 corner bricks . Joe then decides he can’t do any more work that day and leaves before 12noon, total time on the job- 2 hours, Work completed:- removal of sm all plants and insertion of 4 foundation stones( no dirt was excavated and limited work on the foundation kit work is performed. total time on the job- 2 hours

· 11/4/2017- Al shows up very tired and Joe arrives at the work site at 9:30-10:00am and Al shows up very tired. Before, Joe arrives. Al ends up leaving after 1 hour of work and Joe continues to attempt to assemble the foundation kit and prep the foundation. Joe admits to me that Al works a 3r d shift job at a metal fabrication shop in Portland, ME. Joe assures me that they will have the building up on 11/5/2017 claiming that he needs Al around to complete the foundation kit. At lunch 12:noon, Joe tells me he is going to get a sandwich downtown at and come back. Joe never returns to complete the foundation work. I call Al and ask where Joe went leaving a message. I suspect he blew me off and went on a motorcycle ride as he had hinted that to me earlier in the day when I spoke to him. Work completed: Joe does not complete the digging of the foundation, the laying of the *** barrier or the completion of the foundation frame. Hours worked 2+

11/5/2017- Al shows up around 8:30am -9:am. Al admits to me after reviewing the foundation kit assembly by Joe on the previous day, that he didn’t assemble it correctly, and Al has to reassemble the foundation frame. I ask Al if he ever got in touch with Al on 11/4, he said he called Joe a number of times but Joe didn’t call him back. I tell Al that Joe did not do any digging as we had agreed on as part of the foundation preparation. Al says that they will do the digging that day. Joe eventually shows up between 9:30 and 10:am. I restate my requirements for the foundation along with the digging. I go to the Home Dept and buy additional foundation pavers for the foundation frame. Work completed: AL and Joe dig a little dirt out of the foundation plot and finish the foundation kit, bending one beam in the process, lay the *** plastic and spread the crushed stone, add the foundation bricks, while putting the foundation frame on the bricks, neglecting to insert two important brick under the door area of the frame. They lay out the plywood floor without fastening it. I ask Al to try to use the instruction for laying out the plywood, he wants to do it another way. Al announces at 12:noon that he is unable to continue the job and he and Joe leave at 12:noon. Total hours worked: 3

· 11/6 – No work is preformed due to rain. Al does not call or follow up with me on the next day he will work.

· 11/7 Rain has stopped, no word from Al or Joe. I placed a call into Al -9:Am at 207-432-5481, 11:30am no reply from Al, no one came to work, no rain falling all morning. After noon, Al returns call, leaves voice mail, attempts to explain that he has been working multiple jobs, is tired and has had to wait due to weather delays.

· 11/10- Al informs me that Joe is no longer on the work team and weather continues to be a delay factor. He lets me know that he is hiring on Rob. He also states that he has to complete the roofing job he has been working on and won’t be able to commit to the shed before 11/13. Total time on the project, 1+ hours. Weather is clear dry and cold.

· Week of 11/10- There is a complete disconnect with Al and work. I leave a nasty VM on his cell stating that he needs to have the shed built by 11/21 .

· 11/13 Al shows up with Rob, and they begin to put down the flooring after restablishin the metal frame and foundation for the shed. The work 3 hours and decide it is going to rain and leave for the day.

· 11/14 - No work is performed on this day due to rain.

· 11/15-11/16- no work is performed on these days due to rain

· 11/17- Al shows up and Rob joins him between 9 & 9:30am. Al is basically walking around half asleep. Less than an hour goes by and Al leaves, Rob is left behind. I ask Rob where Al went, he says he went home to sleep. Rob attempts to start putting up the frame for the left side of the shed and seems unable to do it by himself. By 10:am he ***.

· Week of 11/17--- 11/17-- Al sends over Rob with his assistant, they begin to construct the side walls and front and back walls. Rob tells me that they are short on some back wood panels. I call the company and they tell me that the floor frame and foundation kit have to measure 117 inches wide, not 121 inches, see page 3 of the instructions, again Al does not read the instructions . I leave Al a voice mail explaining the delay and the mistake he made. Rob and his helper have to take the plywood floor out of the frame and adjust the frame with the walls standing. They then have to cut the plywood in order to re set it into the floor frame, a major delay of 2 hours. Rob then says he has to stop working mid day to pick up his kid who is sick at day care. Total work 5 hours

· 11/18 & 11/19 - Al shows up and Rob comes later. They continue to construct the shed working on the roof. They complain that the roof panels are not fitting, and then Al discovers that they have installed them upside down-wrong end up, they correct that mistake. They spend 4 hours in the morning putting a small roof up with the gable ends, also discovering that they have miscalculated th e center beam and are having trouble with roof panels lining up. Al requests more fastening screws claiming he lost some and wants another pound of screws, I have to go out and purchase them. Total; work performed 5 hours

· 11/20 & 21 – Al and Rob put in half days constructing the roof finally completing the roof and gables on 11/21. Al states that he will return on 11/24 to complete the job. Total hours both days, 6 to 7 hours

· 11/23- I stain the shed and it is completely stained inside and out. ( I am forced to work in freezing tempretures due to the delays)

· 11/24 – Rob and Al do not show up to work, the weather is warmer and sunny. No call comes in for Al letting me know he will not be here.

· Work is completed on the shed week of 11/24( roof has holes in it and Al states that they could not line up the beams with the roof, probably because they did not assemble the frame of the building on center originally-

· Three weeks have elapsed since the installation began.

The history clearly reveals Al's Construction's total lack of dependibility. professionalism, and capability to deliver the Service Magic commitment to quality services to its customer.

I will not be using Al's Construction again or recommend Service Magic to my friends or family in the future.

chores Jul 22, 2009

I have been using Service Magic for many years off and on. I turned off the leads in the spring because of the *lousy* lead quality. yesterday I got a new lead. this one is about the bottom of the barrel, and I strongly suspect that Service Magic pays some people to fill out request forms just to generate more bogus leads. I spent 2 hours with the live chat dude, who had been schooled in the fine art of "how not to respond directly to questions" and "how to accentuate the positive even if its a lie". any way I got absolutely nowhere with this meatball, so I asked him to send my information to management, and he had 3 or 4 reasons why that would not be a good idea. finally, I told him to do it anyway, as I had already spent about 2 hours with him. I made a copy of the live chat, for my records. next I plan on doing more of my own marketing as service magic cannot be trusted to screen calls, or operate in way that they expect of their service providers.

How many stars for Service Magic? it hasnt been worth a darn for many years. 1 star for showing up and breathing.

• Pa
    Painting Services Unlimited Jul 31, 2009

Wake Up! Service Magic is a Telemarketing Business. They make promises to prospective clients and Contractors. The know nothing about either! They get Contractors Debit Cards on file and charge away! They don't screen Contractors or Clients! ServiceMagic took me for more then $1100.00 before I dumped them. On many of the referrals they sent me on, the prospective clients already had 5 other bids and they were looking for the cheapest one! When you complain they replace the leads with worse ones. I have been in business for 32 years and still the best way for me to get work is when my clients recommend me. Steven Goldstein, Painting Services Unlimited, Glendale, CA
    (818) 956-0609

service magic sucks!!!! Aug 02, 2009

I recently signed up with Service magic with promises of recieving leads. What Service Magic and any other business would consider a lead are two different things. If you consider a qaulity lead a name and phone number that you cant get a call back on a lead then go ahead and WASTE your money using Service Magic.
    I had recieved 12 total leads from Service Magic and over 50% of the leads the "so called pre screened customer would not even return my phone calls. I am still being charged for those leads.
    It's a complete waste of money!!!

Derek
    Fairfax VA

JacD51 Sep 16, 2009

Service Magic recommended Biancardi Construction for the repair and rebuilding of my deck. He did shoddy work, did not complete the contract, and left mid-project without notice keeping the money I paid him as he required it for materials never delivered and work not done. Now I have discovered that the work he did was dangerously incompetent (for example, putting sonna tubes over old sonna tubes instead of replacing them as promised and going down only 2 instead of 4 feet in New Hampshire). I am out over $8, 000 and feel both Service Magic and Biancardi should reimburse me. Never trust Service Magic to stand by a contractor they recommend. When I first complained to them, they said he was no longer with them (no notice to me!) without explanation!

• Ta
    t ames Nov 12, 2009

Service Magic is a sham. The leads are mostly bogus and they demand you even pay for the bad ones. on numerous attempts of trying to cancel we cut them off from auto pay out of our checking account. Then they continued to bill us for leads after i shut it off now, it has been turned over to collections to a very rude company who really dont care about fixing the error so we are taking it to the state of Utah and filing it with numerous departments Its strange that the notes i recorded and theirs do not match.

uspvteyes Dec 15, 2009

Service Magice are crooks from the word go. They con people out of their names and sell them to contractors. Every time they do this they rip of 2 to 4 contractors.
    They send spam out by the thousands from many companies.
    When the Hiolidays are over I'm going to start working on a Law Suit aganist them.

• Ks
    K Siegfried Jan 07, 2010

My wife opened the latest bill from Amercan Express only discover that Service Magic had made numerous charges totaling $453. Having been infuriated by there action, I called Service Magic customer service to find out what was going on. Especially since I had terminated my association with them on the 14th of December, 2017 due to the many bogus leads they had sent me and the charges that were incured.
    What I was told, was that my account had not been canceled (as I requested) but was put on hold. What??? I couldn't believe what I had heard. How convenient an excuse is that. They were sucking money from my wife's credit account on a weekly basis without our knowledge. It wasn't until we received the latest bill from Am Ex when we found out what they had been up to.
    Obviously, both my wife and I insisted that they reverse the charges or we would take some sort of legal action against them. That made little difference to the "supervisor" we were speaking to, since he insisted that the account was not closed. Then to top it all off, after being put on hold for a lengthy period, he finally stated that he would be more than willing to rectify the situation if I would be willing to give him another form of credit/debit card that he could transfer the charges to! I couldn't believe my ears. My last statement to him was that we were going to pursue some sort of legal action against Service Magic. The line went dead...
    We immediately called American Express to inform them of the situation, and to request a "stop payment" for the fraudulent transactions made by Service Magic. The gentleman told us that they would be investigated, but that we need to wait for about 30 days for Service Magic to state their case.
    My wife went on the net to see what she could find out about this fraudulent company. We were suprised to see just how many others had been taken as we had been. If only I had done my own investigation before signing on with Service Magic!
    The bottom line is simple... "Contractors beware!!!" Service Magic will happily take you for a ride too. Watch your pocket books!

CHRISB03266 Mar 21, 2010

THESE LOSERS DID NOT PAY ON TIME LIKE THE CONTRACT SAID AND THEY HAD AGRED TO THE WORK WAS NOT SHORTY THERE LYING ###. PEOPLE LIKE THIS ARE WHY CONTRACTORS LIKE ME CHARGE SO HIGH CAUSE WE KNOW LOSERS LIKE THIS ARE GOING TO ### US OVER. THE WORK WAS DONE TO CODE. DROP DEAD BETH AND MICHAEL

• Do
    donein May 28, 2010

They did the same to our business. We had shut off the leads and did not renew our credit card with them, they submitted 6 "new" leads, then sent everything to collection. I called and emailed to have the new leads cancelled, to no avail. Beware of Service Magic. You will spend a whole lot of money with very little return.

Class Action Man May 28, 2010

Sorry to hear of your frustrations. My office has been investigating this company for some time now. If you were so inclined, I'd like to speak with you regarding your experiences so we can continue with our investigation and bring a class action against this company so as to put an end to these unscrupulous business practices.

****************This communication may be considered Attorney Advertising in California*******************

Jim Butler Jun 01, 2010

1. Their leads are predominantly bad, unqualified leads. Over and over again they charged or attempted to charge us for leads that were wrong address, wrong phone number, and wrong email addresses. Often the "customer contact" didn't even own the property in question, and had no authority to make any improvements to it.

2. When we finally gave up on these losers, they refused, yes REFUSED to stop sending and charging us for leads after we told them several times that we no longer would be using their service. I finally had to change my credit card number so that they couldn't charge it anymore.

3. They routinely sent and billed for more leads than we authorized to be sent each month.

4. They continued to try to charge us for leads even after I changed the credit card number, then have continued to send threatening emails and make threatening phone calls if we don't pay for leads they sent literally MONTHS after we discontinued their service.

Under NO circumstances would I recommend that ANYONE do business with these crooks. You literally do better going door to door than using their leads, and you won't have the aggravation of having them try to steal from you the entire time.

BillyBobCrud Jul 18, 2010

Yeppers...I used Service Magic when they first arrived on the internet years ago...after 25 bomb leads..I left...they tried to sue me but the idiots got the information wrong and they screwed themselves. they are worthless pieces of chet. Not a one of them knows what they are doing...I wrote to the attorney general's off and put a stop to this, QUICK...How does our government allow hese bafoons to do this?
    The leaders of these groups, lke Yodle and such have been trying to get us, for years, and I tell them to their faces how they suck and it doesn't bother them in the least...all they want is money...they should all be quartered and boiled in oil. NOW...They should also go take a hike over the deepest grand canyon opening...with no shoes.

Thank you, it's ben a pleasure to tell you, in case you are dumb enough, that these companies can offer you only negative buisess and your will be out in a matter of weeks., So there.

Here is there staff...

ta taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

tataaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Megan Aug 05, 2010

I entered information about specific contractors I was looking for on the Service Magic website in hopes of being hooked up with folks who deal in that area. When the rep from Service Magic called to verify my request his connection was horrible and moreover he was exceptionally rude, condescending and abrasive. I was stunned. I can do the research to find contractors on my own and the rep's attitude resulted in my vowing not to use anyone who contacts me through my request to Service Magic - PERIOD. Warning contractors, these folks may be LOSING you business instead of increasing it.

J&MPainting Aug 16, 2010

I have been trying to cancel my Service Magic account for the past 4 months. They ignore the requests by phone, deny us having an account when emailing them and their fax machines will not accept transmissions.

They have been sending charges to an expired Visa card and Visa was paying them until I called the dispute department to put a stop to it. Despite these efforts, I just now found out that 2 more charges went in this month which VISA is fixing.

All during this time, my only protection has been keeping my leads turned off to avoid any further charges, however, you can only do this for a week at a time and they come on after midnight and leads slip through in the wee hours. Additionally, they have turned my leads back on without my knowledge.

As with the other complaints, I agree, this only makes money for Service Magic, since they have been known to send up to 7 paint contractor leads to one customer, certainly not all of them valid, qualified leads.

So, who is the police authority that watchdogs this kind of fraud? We have to find some way to get Service Magic's attention!

• Jr
    J. Rott Aug 25, 2010

Avoid Service Magic’s lead program. They blatantly swindle business customers.

On May 19th we (a roofing company) authorized a $450.00 package to try out Service Magic’s lead program. After doing so, we found that the leads were not good (at all) and decided to cancel. On June 9, 2017 we called and cancelled. We were told that we had credit left that could not be refunded. We said fine, use it up; cancel us. Since that time we have been billed an additional $856.00.

On August 4, 2017 after receiving our July credit card statement we contacted Service Magic and asked for refund, which was refused. In addition to that they are trying to bill an additional $165.00 which will apparently not go through as they keep requesting updated credit card information (and are now threatening collections for).

On August 24, 2017 we called again, and re-explained that we had cancelled June 9, 2017. Not only were we refused credit, but they actually said it had been our responsibility to track the credit as of June 9th and call back after the credit was used to cancel. At no time was it related to us that we would have to re-cancel when our credit was used up. What kind of deal is that anyway? We cancelled!

We also found out that our account is still not cancelled, but on hold due to the balance due. If for some reason the owing (in their mind) charge attempt went through, we would be considered active, up and running till we cancelled again. However, they would be glad to process our cancellation once the outstanding balance is received.

Service Magic’s excuse is their computer system, which they say cannot cancel you when you apparently have a credit, or outstanding balance due. That is absurd. The reality is they refused and are still refusing to cancel our account, along with refunding our money.

We are disputing the credit card charges with the bank in hopes of getting our money back. We filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau and Attorney General of Colorado about Service Magic’s deceptive business practices. I would encourage you all to take the time and do the same. Here are the links: http://www.denver.bbb.org/; http://www.coloradoattorneygeneral.gov/ .

SMSupport Aug 26, 2010

Hello-

My name is Angela Doss and I work at ServiceMagic in customer service. As always, we appreciate your candor and feedback about ServiceMagic. Your voice continues to be heard and we are always looking for new and better ways to serve our customers. I would like the opportunity to speak with you to try and amend this situation. Please contact me at your earliest convenience at [email protected] or 303.963.8125 so we can discuss your frustrations and concerns.

Best regards,

Angela Doss
    303.963.8125

Michael Sep 10, 2010

Service Magic has national web sites, but does not provide information about the service providers they represent and market. Following major damage to my home by a Service Magic contractor, and being told by the contractor who walked off the job to "Sue me"...Service Magic would not provide information about this contractor's insurer, in spite of the fact that Service Magic markets for this contractor providing information on their web site that the contractor has insurance and the expiration date of this insurance, but not the carrier...and Service Magic refuses to provide infomation about the carrier thus misrepresenting their client contractor to the public.

BEWARE of SERVICE MAGIC...they are not Consumer Friendly!! Do NOT trust their referrals. SS.

SMSupport Sep 10, 2010

Hello Michael-

Thanks for your feedback. We take the professionalism of our member businesses very seriously and I apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations. Every homeowner is provided with the service professional’s type of insurance, the amount and the expiration date; this information is always up for display on their profile page. Due to privacy policy, we do not release any further information as ServiceMagic is diligent in verifying and updating all of our service professional’s insurance certificates. I would like the opportunity to speak with you to try and amend this situation. I do believe I replied to another post you made on 8/26 but I have not heard from you yet. Please contact me at your earliest convenience at [email protected] or 303.963.8125 so we can discuss your frustrations and concerns.

-Angela Doss

homeontherange Sep 27, 2010

I had the same problem: when I sued a terrible roofer referred to me by ServiceMagic, SM refused to very his current address.

homeontherange Sep 27, 2010

Forgot to mention: I used their "screen a pro" website and found he crook roofer is still on the Service Magic network.

homeontherange Sep 27, 2010

I hired an inept roofer through SM, and just checked and found out he is still listed with them.

• Re
    Redmond777 Jan 12, 2011

Would not post bad review of contractor and their project estimates are way off, beware they will give you bad info and send bad contractoros to your house. For example, when asked for how much to do a remodel Servicemagic was under 8k what is actually cost. Also their contracto they proposed did crappy work, bad dry wall, plumbing was not lined up, and the sink leaks. Also the contractor charges more than the not to exceed estimate. When I posted this info on ServiceMagic's web site they sent an email stating they could not post it. The company is a shame.

Bolk Jan 21, 2011

Just a heads up, I've been with Service Magic for over a year.I have landed a couple of small jobs in the very beginning but most of the leads over all are fraudulent. Every time I get a lead now it's $50 and no one ever calls you back or e-mails. The people I've spoken with say they never asked to be contacted. Now my leads have been turned off by me, but Service Magic went in and turned my leads on with out my permission. So contractors beware - the economy is bad enough, we will have our turn again without paying for false advertisement.

Jim Boden Jan 24, 2011

I was looking for someone to remodel my kithchen and found a guy on service magic. He called me within 10 minutes of me posting the job. to make a long story short, this guy totally ruining my kitchen ceiling trying to remove the cabinets. I asked him to see his license the next day he can for work and he told me that he didn't need one. Service magic is crap. They do not screen these people. Of course, he needs a license in California. I found a real contractor on onlylicensedcontractors.com and he did a great job and he had a license!!! They didn't make me leave my information. i could jsut see the contractor names and contact information to call them myself. Always, ask to se the license before they do anything.

Jim Boden Jan 24, 2011

You're right about service magic. Anyone can be listed on their site, but onlylicensedcontractors.com should have a section for handymen who may not need to have a license. Even if you are in a state that does not require contractors to be licensed, only licensedcontractors.com won't let you join their site. All states don't require contractors to be licensed.

Maybe, that is why they call it Only Licensed Contractors.com???? lol

Jim Boden Jan 24, 2011

They are con men. They got me for almost $1200 in 7 months with their bogus leads. I canceled my credit card to stop they from bleeding me. Check out only licensed contractors.com. they sent me a postcard about becoming a member. You don't pay for leads and you have very little competition. In the past 4 months, i've gotten 5 jobs from people seeing my company on their website. They've only sent me about 3 leads that people posted and I got one job from that. it's a good deal for the money and way cheaper than service magic.

• Pa
    Pay2Work? Jan 24, 2011

I got F**CKED into the Service Magic pay for leads scam! I'll admit it because I know my wife wont read this and find out she was right. Anytime you have to pay to get work, chances are the work won't be profitable enough to recoup your investment.
    So here is how to handle them:
    1) cancel the card or account used to autopay Service Magic
    2) get a new CC logo DEBIT/CHECK card (you're gonna have to do it anyway so you might as well get on with it)
    3) if you choose to take the risk and keep doing business with them, ALWAYS make sure you make payments for the leads by speaking to a rep, and when making payment, specify ONE TIME PAYMENT on the new card you are using. This is important because otherwise they can keep a copy of the card numbers on file and start the autopay all over again.
    4) retain control over when they can issue leads---go into your account and turn the leads off until YOU are ready for accept a lead, this pisses them off (you have to make sure that you reset the off setting every 12 days or you will get a lead(s) that you hadn't planned on)
    5) make sure you are fully aware of just what kind of work you have agreed to perform. For instance "Hire a Handyman" is pretty vague and covers a lot of crap work that they can justify issuing a lead for. Again, you log into your account to make these changes. You can also request that they send you list of the types of work and what those leads will cost--very useful in making the decision of what you want to be doing.
    6) if you wish to end your relationship with them (and I'm sure you will), complete steps 1 and 2 first, log into the account and cancel the service. Use whatever colorful explanation for cancellation that serves you at the moment.
    By the way, make sure that you post somewhere obvious that Service Magic charges the contractors for the leads, because it seems they don't disclose that information to the potential customer and I know for a fact that it will piss Service Magic off to have that tidbit out there--I checked.
    I'll repost with more complaint when they pull their next shi**y trick on me--I'm sure they will try something.

Mackers74 Jan 25, 2011

We are a contracting geothermal company out of Atlanta and we were once members with Service Magic, this was about 2 years ago. Today we found a most disturbing advertisement fraud with Service Magic using our name, our address, but their phone number. Basically the listing was found immediately under our company name, but when we called the contact number listed it went directly to Service Magic. Here is our complaint: About 2 years ago or so we were members with Service Magic and yes, they definitley do not do thorough background checks, as we found our competitors on Service Magic, without them even having a license to do buisness/contract work. Needless to say, we are licensed, insured and bonded so we felt that we had the upper hand and decided to stay with them on a trial basis. All for 6 months, then we cancelled it. When we cancelled it was due to our own bad experiences with Service Magic and even a personal family experience with Service Magic that ended horribly for them, so that was it, we were through with Service Magic, and this was 2 years ago(2017). During the year of 2017, we hired a person to help us with advertising that use to work with Service Magic from her home, fielding calls for them. We found out quite alot of bad marketing fraud that goes on - which I am not allowed to disclose- but contractors beware! Anyways, we hired this very nice lady, again back in 2017. I just want to give all of you a timeline here.. Joined service magic 2017 for 6 months then cancelled, hired a lady that use to work for servcie magic 2017, today 2017 January we found they are STILL advertising our good name and business, but with their contact information. We called the number and it went directly to a lady who stated " Thank you for calling Electrical.. blah blah". We answered back, "that's interesting, because I wanted E*** ( can't disclose my company name) heating and air and not an electrical company?" The lady at SM answered back, "Oh yes sir, sorry about that, as the company is busy with their schedule, would you like to try "blah blah" instead and I can get you set up with an appointment right away." Ok that ticked us off. So, they are not only using our company name with their phone number, but they are also LIEING TO THE CONSUMER- our would be customers, and fielding them to other contractors. After a rather lengthly conversation with this Service Magic "professional customer service rep", they promised to remove their phone number from all associations with E *** ( my business ). PAST CONTRACTORS OF SERVICE MAGIC-- BE AWARE OF THIS SCAM and FRAUDULENT ADVERTISING of YOUR GOOD BUSINESS NAME - We advise you to immediately do an internet search of your name. If you should locate any association with Service Magic, as you are not a client of theirs, but once were, we ADVISE YOU TO TAKE ACTION! Thank You.

Madhous1 Jan 26, 2011

My husband responded to an ad on craigslist for plumbers. He got a call from Service Magic and they explained their "gig". They asked him for a bank account number so they could take money for the leads they give him. HUGE red flag!!! As he was on the phone, I googled the company and found tons of complaints. He asked them not to call again, but they still do. I just spoke to a guy and told them we want nothing to do with them and he laughed at me when I told him I saw reviews about the company being fraudlant. He asked me how they could have an A+ BBB review if they were fraudulant. Well, because they don't have any complaints that went that far, I guess. I am thinking of contacting our news station. They do investigations on bad companies.

• Po
    Poter Feb 01, 2011

Service Magic allowed a competitor to access my account, change user passwords and steal my leads!! I called to inquire when my passwords had been changed and was told that I called and requested a password reset, I had just used my account that morning and apparently developed amnesia because I needed a password reset within an hour or two! ###-they did not confirm the identity of the caller if they had attempted to they would have realized it wasn't me. I added a call in password and tried to call back to test them and I wasn't asked the password. Contractors beware they only want your money and don't care if people are screwing around and not really wanting leads and they will apparently allow thieves to access private or so called "secure" accounts. Needless to say I am cancelling and filing a lawsuit against Service Magic and Michael Casiano of Deckmasters for theft of access.

• Fr
    Frustrated floor guy Feb 17, 2011

CONTRACTORS BEWARE. I am a flooring contractor and had been with Service Magic for about three years. I paid over $5000 for about 210 leads total. I had many jobs from these leads, and every one of my customer reviews were outstanding. Never had anything close to a complaint. Except one customer, who had a very small issue with his kitchen floor. The customer and I could not reach an agreement on how to solve his problem, so he complained to Service Magic. The customer then demanded $2200 to fix a tiny part of his floor, which I refused to pay. Without warning, notice, and without asking me any questions whatsoever about the job, SM fined me $500 (per my contract with SM), cancelled my account, and even threatened to report my company to the BBB and the Colorado Attorney General office. I was treated like a criminal! I wrote the head of contractor relations a letter describing my horrible experience; he has not replied.

Bottom line, fellow contractors is that Service Magic is, kind of, your boss if you use their lead program. When a problem arises, they will NOT advocate for you, even though you are the one paying their bills. They will side with the customer every time, and throw you overboard like you were a common criminal. In short, they treated me exactly the opposite of how I treat my customers--with total disrespect. DO NOT USE SERVICE MAGIC!!!

• Ju
    juanca1020 Mar 07, 2011

Hi my name is juan velez, i owned a small construction company in ct, and i have exactly the same problem whit servimagic, this people use my company information whit a different phone #, to take my costumers away, i think, we need to stop this people, some how, im pretty sure is not only 2 0 3 companies whit the same problem.we need to get together to stop servimagic

• Fr
    Frank's Fixin Construction Jun 21, 2011

I was a Service Magic contractor for about 6 months. I got 2 leads. The first was from a fly by night real estate org. They wanted me to do alot of work and offered to pay me in about 2 months. The second was a window job but nobody would ansewer the phone.
    I was charged $42. for this lead and when I disputed the charge to Visa the price jumped to $62. These people just needed to prove there claim to Visa to get paid, but they called and emailed me letting me know that they would send me to collections and "ruin my credit". I had to cancel my visa.

Angie Jhonson Nov 06, 2011

I Hear You. I'm in Indianapolis, Indiana and I, have received about seven leads and they never returned my calls either. I had one who called me and canceled his appointment. My thing is why do we have to pay for a lead that is just, calling for a quote? It's seems as if, I 'm just, wasting my money. I have not received a call back YET!!!. People are wasting there time going to Service Magic. Because, they are the one's getting the money . It should be, us the Cleaning Business paying for a lead after, the lead's Agree with the cleaners or contractors that they want us to come clean for them. This seam's more like a "BIG GAMBLE" I don't think it's fair at all Wasting money on a "GUESS" NOT KNOWING IF, the leads are going to use you or some one else. Then it's to late you already paid. While Service Magic is getting paid to keep there Company.

• Ck
    CK Rush Dec 01, 2011

I agree, ServiceMagic is a total ripoff. As a contractor I spent money on bogus leads that I couldn't reach or return my calls. The few we did reach had no realistic idea of what construction costs are. SM also sells the same lead to too many contractors, and they recycle leads that are weeks old. I know this as one person said he'd contacted SM several weeks before and had already heard from 5 or 6 contractors. When I called SM about all this they simply said "it's in the cost." WTH? They did promise to credit some of the phony leads, which they never did. Today I tell both consumers and contractors to avoid these lying scam artists every chance I get.

clydesmom Jul 19, 2012

Service Magic is a total scam! We got ripped off by the company the recommended and their resolution process is a joke! They never had any intention of getting us any money back. They just don't care! Stay away! They will make your life hell!

clydesmom Jul 19, 2012

They wouldn't post our bad review of the company that ripped us off either! Total Scam! Steer clear!

clydesmom Jul 19, 2012

Yes Service Magic are crooks! Somebody needs to put them out of business!

False Advertising

Recently I was looking to do some work on my home and saw a commercial for ServiceMagic. ServiceMagic is a company that helps you find local contractors to help with your job. They claim to have a "10-point" screening process that all contractors go through to be a part of that network. This is a very sore subject for me as I know some people who have had their trust "violated" by those who have been let in their home to do work. Unfortunately, ServiceMagic's process is mostly style over substance. There are many independent contracting companies out there that do not background screen their employees for such simple things as a criminal record, whether they are a registered sex offender, is their drivers license valid, etc. One of the reasons I chose to look at ServiceMagic was this 10-point claim of theirs.
However, when I actually looked at what they do it is nothing like what they advertise. In reality ServiceMagic, "ServiceMagic uses 3rd party data sources to conduct a criminal search for any relevant criminal activity associated with the owner/ principal of the business." What a load of crap this is. They check the criminal record of the owner of the company...ha. How does this ensure my safety as a consumer when the owner sends his employees into my home to do a repair? Why aren't the service men/women being screened? I don't care if the owner has a record I want to know about the person being sent into my home. They say the same thing about their sex offender search. You want a reason why knowing the background of those being sent into your home is important read this link http://www.sueweavercause.org/ . There are hundreds, if not thousands, of companies out there that can do a background check on the employees of these companies and the only reason why a company like ServiceMagic cuts a corner like this is to save a few bucks. Nice to see the safety of their customers is more important to them then saving a few bucks. Here's an idea ServiceMagic either do what you claim and check all employees of the companies in your network or don't bring attention to your lackluster system. It might not have caught up to them yet, and I sincerely hope they fix it before it does and we have another tragedy like what happened to Sue Weaver.

• Gw
    Gwen Gibson Sep 30, 2009

I agree! We are a housecleaning company in Greensboro NC - WE do 20 year background checks on all of our potential employees - criminal, driving, and work history checks. If we can not get EXCELLENT checks in ALL departments, we DO NOT hire them!

Service Magic does only a check on the owner of the business. PERIOD. THEN they rip off the business by sending phony leads. 98% of the leads we received had disconnected or non-existent phone numbers, and the e-mails bounced back as undeliverable. We put our account with them on hold. THEN Service Magic attached itself to OUR yellowpage ad listing! So, if someone clicked on OUR website link it sent them to our page on Service Magic.com!

RIP OFF ARTISTS... we called yellow pages and THEY were shocked. (PLUS only last week Carolina Maids had done the SAME THING to one of our directory listings... noting themselves as an aka and listing THEIR website link. NOTE: we have NOTHING to do with Carolina Maids! If you hired THEM thinking they were US you were deceived!)

I am fed up with deceitful competitors! Gwen Gibson, Maid in North Carolina, Inc.

ServiceMagic is crap Nov 06, 2009

ServiceMagic is a fraud. I read many stories about them ripping off contractors.
    I'll tell you it's just as bad for consumers.

I had a horrible experience with a contractor I hired through ServiceMagic. After I wrote a negative review, ServiceMagic called me, and I told them the same story. In spite of being 100% objective and honest in my review, they removed it from their site.

That's why all contractors have great review on ServiceMagic. They refuse to post negative reviews. It's a complete fraud. By the way, the person I hired had dozens of glowing reviews. Still, he turned out to be completely incompetent. I am absolutely sure that there were many more scathing reviews about this guy submitted by customers like me.

ServiceMagic is blatantly LYING to both consumers and contractors. It's a fraud - don't use them!

• Fe
    Festerized Nov 20, 2009

Goto Contractor talk.com to get the insite on service magic

Bio Kleen Maids Dec 08, 2009

It is not a fraud. The reason all of their contractors have good reviews is the bad companies get dropped from the service. I run a maid service and I can tell you some of the big names in the business are absent from servicemagic. Its not because they dont want to be there...its because they CANT be there. They had too many bad reviews!! The company REQUIRES my employees and myself to be bonded. I am required to do a due diligence investigation on my employees to protect my own business as well as my customers.

• Pe
    Peter Cetera Jan 30, 2010

I agree and they are a rip off...$50/lead and you have to bid against your competition. Why pay Service Magic for leads if I can get your web site on the front page of Google Guaranteed!! You do not pay until I get you there. This is not pay per click. $99.00 per month unlimited leads. Please contact me at 908-591-1597 [email protected]
    www.webtrafficgurus.com

Chupa Mar 26, 2010

ok ok someone explain to me something here..

What the HELL does a drivers license have to do with ANYTHING. Are you worried because someone didnt renew their NATIONAL ID CARD?

Bunch of paranoid freaks.

• Hu
    Hugo21 Jul 15, 2010

1. Non-refundable membership cost

2. False leads sent to you, charges applicable and non-refundable

3.Consumes lead charges from 3-4 different contractors or companies, non will be refundable

4.they call "credit back to your account" not your bank account, the account with Service Magic, the money in your bank account will never be credited it has already been charged.

5. You will be sent leads that are not in your category or leads that are old, in the meantime, you will be charged for the lead and you will call to claim a false lead or a lead that does not belong in your category, in the meantime you did pay for the false lead and the "credit" you had from the previous lead will not be used instead your "credit" just grows, in other words you will never see your "credit" decrease just increase and your bank account decrease.

6. They claim contractors nationwide are and have grown thanks to Service Magic, that these contractors will happily continue growing with ServiceMagic's service. You ask for these "happily growing contractors" information and you will notice that they will start a dodge and dance move, this "growing contractors" are a false advertising pitch that makes ServiceMagic grow.

7.You call to cancel your membership, knowing that they will keep your non-refundable membership, (which is OK, you knew that when you signed up), but, you want to cancel membership because you don't want to be paying for false leads, so you have money in your "credit" once you cancel you will not be reimbursed your credit back to your bank account. ServiceMagic will keep your money, as a matter of fact they try talking you back into their membership for free, they want to keep lynching off your bank account with false leads.

I will never ever be or do any "ANY" business with Service Magic, I feel sorry for Service Magic on how they earn their business, I hope that this helps contractors or companies looking to partnership with Service Magic, don't do it! you will come back to this page and elaborate on this post and explain your own experience.

"Service Magic" a bad business partnership, bad business conduct, unjustifiable charges, overall Service Magic will grow with bad business practices, They are the mold that grows!!!

cindyjn Mar 02, 2011

Wow, I have a story for you…..I will post what I have posted on other sites and you can contact me if you have questions.

After repeated calls from Service Magic asking us to sign up for their service, I finally agreed to give it a try in January 2017. They were offering no sign up fees, the only requirement was that we have valid liability insurance. The way the service works is there is a charge for every contractor that receives a "lead" and I was told that each lead would go to three contractors in our area. Leads that were determined to be "exact match leads" were charged a much higher rate. On February 14th, we received our first and only lead and it turned out to be an "exact match". I called the customer immediately and again tried to contact him later but he never returned my calls. I called SM to report the issue and told them I did not expect to be charged. They sent the customer an e-mail and I received a reply that he had found someone else. I told SM this was not going to work for me and that I had plenty of work on my own anyway so I wanted to cancel. One week later, I was searching out various location on the web and found they had hijacked my Yahoo Local ad where we had great customer reviews dating much earlier than my January 7th sign up date. They had changed my phone number to their toll free number and changed my website link to their own. I have since found other places where I had my company registered that they had changed my original information. I could not believe this had happened. I still have not gotten the situation totally corrected. I have spent several hours on the phone with Yahoo, had to agree to pay a monthly fee so no one can get into my ad again and am still waiting for them to try to get our company customer reviews from the site SM hijacked to my paid for submission. I wonder how many other companies they do this to and they don't even know it. I suppose if you are a new company and do not have good web presence, SM may be a good match for that company but not a company who already has a good business. I am still not sure how they managed to do what they have done, can not believe it is legal and can not imagine how much business we have lost as a result

• Cd
    cdhaerle Aug 28, 2011

They do this to every contractor company that uses them. This is probably a bigger scam than the poor leads that are farmed out to many more contractors than they say. This is probably alos a bigger scam then the poor and invalid leads that they provide. I do carpet cleaning and they sent me a paint lead and would not refund or credit me back. They are by all means the worst at what they are supposed to do and the best at ripping people off.

bob tornton Dec 12, 2011

Ok I my busines was going slow so I said y not try sevicemagice they say they can find u jobs which they call leads which they charge u for they take the money right out ur account so watch it first I said ok but then I notes that the leads were for other citys not like I ask then the monthly fees I dented about 450$ for I said that's it .not one lead made me money o and they charge u another fee for Makeing u a web site pulse a monthly fee for that to .look I no better now no one can help u get jobs but word of mouth .so long story short don't believe what u see they lie to get u in then charge u to get out

SMSupport Dec 12, 2011

Hi Bob -

I am sorry to hear that you are frustrated with us. We match leads to you based off of the zip code and the type of work. If you are seeing leads in places you do not want to receive leads from we can help you adjust your coverage area to ensure you are profiled correctly. I would like to speak to you directly to discuss your concerns and see if there is anything I can help you with. You may reach me directly at 303.963.8066 or mblack[at]servicemagic.com.

not a true lead!

My boyfriend and I have been researching Service Magic to see if it would be a good company to enroll with for leads for contractor services. In reading through the literature they sent him, I said, "What would prevent any schmoe from just signing up for services and never even intending having any work done?" So I logged in as a customer looking for trim work, left a name and phone number and it was not 5 MINUTES LATER that someone called me! We just looked at each other.

SO THERE IS YOUR ANSWER! These are not screened leads and the poor man was charged good money for this bogus lead. I called him up and apologized and said told him the story.

So any contractors should beware as well. This may well be a good service, but I can verify that the leads are in no way prequalified or verified for their validity.

The contractor we spoke to thought the company had not been a good deal for him and was in fact thinking of dropping the service as well.

• Ha
    Handyman Services LLP Jan 25, 2010

I tried to sign my business up for service magic. Before they even had my personal info. my computer and email became so clogged with spam from them I gave up on the company. Since then I have recieved numerous calls from Service Magic.
    Watch your privacy settings on your computer... this company is very bad with phishing for your information, and they are persistent.
    This is not what I want my business associated with.

Fraud and cheating

I signed up with their service a year and a half ago, and they send me leads a couple of times a month during the busy season...What they do is send out the customer lead to at least three contractors, and then they scramble to contact the customer. They then charge each contractor $9 or $12, so they make their money no matter what happens... Luckily, when I have gotten their automated voice mails, I dial the number of the lead on my other phone. This way, I make sure that if the lead is serious, I will be the first one on the phone with them. Because of my fast response, I have gotten probably 12 out of the last 15 jobs they sent me.

The problem, as what the other reporters said, comes when the leads turn out to be dead...their policy states that they refuse to refund lead $ 'when the customer changes their mind' which is extremely unfair. They claim that dead leads are built into their 'low low pricing structure'. They also refused to refund several lead $ to me when their system failed to leave me a usable voice message and text message. I went back and forth with them, and they flatly refused to refund anything even when their system failed to give me the lead. This to me is a RIPOFF, and why I am filing this report.

Rip off

I have been with service magic since Oct 2007, In all these months I have had leads but 95% off them are bogus .All service magic does is steal your money.I urge all contractors and other service people to stay away from this fraudulent conpany.You cant talk to them they talk over you and will not give an inch.All trhey care about is how much money they can steal froim you.Once again be ware and dont get involved with servicemagig, You will be dissapointed and ripped off.

Awful experience

We have been unhappy with Servicemagic for sometime and have mentioned to them about how their service has gone down over the last couple of years. We had a lead sent to us and have had others that were not valid yet they charge our card. In this case we asked for a refund as we were closing this account and a replacement would not work. They refused. I spoke with a CSR, she said she could not, I spoke with her manager, same story, I spoke with his manager Mike and he refused and threaten to send the $13 to collections and said he would not refund it. He even went as far to say that you tried to call the number (which is not valid) so you attempted to get the business. After trying to explain that we were not interested in a lead replacement and were canceling our account. He then hung up on me.

This is a scam service, BEWARE. If they will not refund $13 imagine the leads that some contractors have to pay that are $50, 60 or more. Servicemagic does not verify information. They go to 411. They need to be held accountable for their lack of service and costing contractors/people money.

• Je
    Jerry May 22, 2009

I disagree strongly with this post. We have been a Servicemagic referred contractor for well over 5 years. Yes, sometimes we do not get the job because another company got to the client first or the client went with someone cheaper. But, we understood that as a possibility right up front.
    They DO check to be sure that our licensing, bonds, etc are in force every year.
    If the lead turns out to be not qualified, they have always credited us for them. A very few have been in the gray area and, again, we understand this is a possibility ( Some "clients" are just fishing to see how the system works, etc)
    Servicemagic is an excellent referral source, if you act on the referral as soon as it comes in. We are fortunate that we have a full time office manager that can jump on the leads. We get a Fax, an email and a phone call with every lead.

Dan Jun 13, 2009

this company is a sales driven company, all they care about is contractors money, im sure you could save more money if you got someone to design you a webpage and then call the major search engines and see how mcuh it is to be at the top of the list will more than likely save you time, money, and your sanity

BobDdiver Sep 14, 2009

Jerry, you're wrong. They're dishonest thieving ###. I won't bother to go into detail. That's all anyone needs to know about ServiceMagic.

• Ju
    juckie Dec 08, 2009

As a customer of SM I think it`s a rip off. Once I also heard from a couple of people who have worked at my house how the system works I can see how it`s a rip off for contractors also. One contractor kept calling and calling and I later found out these guys just want this lead fee or something. I felt bad for the guy bcz SM completely led him astray about what I needed. They led a whole bunch of contractors wrong for a project I needed as a disabled person. The person at SM had no idea what the hell he was doing but tried to be the biggest arrogant person and belittle me like I didn`t know what I needed and I was the person asking for it. I knew EXACTLY what I needed and he was the idiot. After transfering me to 4 people I just hung up. I also learned that certain colored stars I think, in the customer rating section mean your commenting as an outsider(like a friend or family of the business) or your a legitimate cust. commenting. That make a huge diff. You could have your friends or yourself using a false name and email address, commenting what a great comp. they are and great cust. svc. they have. I had a landscape comp. come and theyhad no idea what they were doing. NONE AT ALL!!! After the boss left the workers told me this was par for the course for this business. They just fly by the seat of there pants at every job. The crew also didn`t understand why they got so much work bcz no one really knows what there doing. However, the guy that comes out is the HUGEST BSer, LIER and pumps you up full of great info. about there comp. and how informed they all are and educated in specific areas, yet when I would ask diff. workers or this guy who was part owner a specific question no one had an answer. They were also doiing landscaping work. My yard looked like ### AND TEHM SOME when they got done. They actually showed up with only part of the equip. they needed and didn`t know what to do. They had no idea they were doing landscape work. They had no idea were the sprinkler heads were suppose to go. I asked if they were suppose to follow a drawing? The workers said, nope, we just guess! They had no idea I had 20 plus plants to plant, underground existing wire not to chop up which ended up getting chopped up and took 2 weeks to fix and chopped my yard up more instead of fixing it theminute they cut it. I could go on but it just makes me mad. They want the other 1/2 of there payment but, the sprinkler heads are crooked and the rest of the work where they ruined areas that weren`t worked on but were disturbed by there hack work, still aren`t put back together and fix the existing landscape work they ruined. This is just a horror job. I was going to have them plow snow this winter but I`m fearful there snow plow driver will take out the fence along my driveway, or all the shrubs along the driveway or smash into my vehicle. Then they`ll have some lame excuse to try and get out of it.
    I did go to one of the owners Facebooks page and look at some of his content. Had I done that before I hired him there is no way absolutely no way I would have hired it. He is a severe drunk and a grose pig. No wonder he couldn`t remember anything I told him, he was probably coming off of a big drunk every morning. He had nasty videos I would never ever post on any web page ever. I have learned my lesson. Search more than just the other cust. comments. Then you`ll get to learn more about who your really dealing with. Thank God I never let him in my house. I am young and feel he may have tried to sexuallytried to take advantage of me. Even his business emails were a bit sketchy when I would email him a quick question. Folks do good research when hiring someone, especially is your home alone and a female. Now I don`t know where to go to, to find to loyal, trustworthy, hardworking and good trades people to work on my house. Karen, Twin Cities, MN

Fraud and scam

I will have to agree the my fellow handyman & contractors who have all been screwed by Service Magic! They pitched me as well, twice, and promised me legitimate customers. What they failed to inform me was that they wouldn't be leading me any real jobs, without a General B Lic. I got B.S. stuff like child proofing, people calling me asking about where my dump & recycling center was. I'm a 26 yr professional in all fields of construction, formerly flipping residential properties. They were definitely a great waste of my time, and now I too am being pursued for collection for crap leads! I was given wrong info, people were soliciting me for there own advantage, and/ or product- services through Service Magic, and some were wishy washy, not even ready to commit or move forward... "just looking around" One of my so called leads stiffed my company of $650.00, and Service Magic cared more for the customer. Initially I re painted her ceiling from a roof leakage, and then she had us R & R her front & rear custom doors put in through Home Depot, the contractor sent out had hacked the doors completely, and then the customer, after being please with our professional work, choose to stiff us because Service Magic didn't inform the customer that we were not licensed. We are a handyman company, servicing any/ all small jobs for $500.00 or less... Material is separate and at face value. Stay away from Service Magic!!!

• Valerie Oct 15, 2008

I hired a contractor referred by Service Magic. That was the first mistake. The job was never finished, the contractor said he ran out of money. He had all of mine though. The work that was done is a joke. Drains connected to nothing. Flagstone ruined. Laborers coming over on Sundays telling me they were never paid. Service Magic contacted me to see how I liked the service, so I told them. Service magic's response was condescending and downright snotty. Nasty little e-mails, acting like I am the scammer. They can keep the stinking $500.00. It will cost me over $20, 000.00 to fix the mess. Never again.

Bob Wright Nov 16, 2008

This Service Magic Company had charged my credit card even though I didn't have a signed contract with them. I didn't complete any work on their behalf.
    I will fully support a class action suit against this company.

• Jg
    J. Goldberg Jan 26, 2009

You don’t need Service Magic!!! Their verification system and customer ratings are joke. I’ve seen scam companies listed on their website with 100% positive rating. It’s all about money. Stay away, relay on your intuition, always ask and check references. If your project is large ask the contractor to show you recently completed projects and talk to their customers in person. Service Magic does not care about you. What they care about is money!

Ripped off

I actually had a good working relationship with Service Magic. I was okay with the fees and leads and they did me pretty good until I accepted a lead building a simple deck. I built the deck got paid and everything was good. Then after two weeks, the customer found "flaws" in the deck so I went back and corrected them. I actually went back 5 times over two months. After 35 years doing this work, I realized this woman was scamming me. All she had to do was to complain to service magic and they deducted $500 out of my bank account for her. My real problem was I was never told or even warned the money was to be taken out. Not to mention to reinstate me the wanted another $600 and never could explain what that was for.

false promises

Based on the endorsement of Service Magic, Inc., we hired their member, the Colorado Radon Institute, for mold & asbestos testing. The owner of Colorado Radon Institute, Michael Merit, came to our apartment and allegedly performed the tests. While collecting samples, he told us we had black mold which could be hazardous to our health. We paid Michael Merit and he cashed the check. However, he failed to provide us with the lab results or respond to our calls, emails or letter.

So, we contacted Service Magic, Inc. and spoke with Harry Patkowski and Tammy Wright. We also emailed the following Service Magic representatives: (1) Co-Chairman, Michael Beaudoin; (2) Co-Chairman, Rodney Rice; (3) CEO, Craig Smith; (4) Senior Vice President, Ty Kasperbauer, ; (5) Senior Vice President, Ryan Sullivan; (6) Senior Vice President, Andy Zurcher; (7) Vice President, Jim Croft; and (8) Vice President, Tom Durant.

Ms. Wright stated Service Magic recommended and endorsed its member, the Colorado Radon Institute and its owner, Michael Merit, after he paid his $99.00 Service Magic fee and passed the "rigorous 10-Point Screening" check in 2007. Ms. Wright guaranteed Service Magic performed a background check for complaints, suspicious business activity, etc. We checked with the BBB and found Michael Merit had complaints filed against him dating back to May 2003, see http://denver.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Report.aspx?site=33&bbb=0885&firm=[protected].

Due to Michael Merit�s shady business practices, he changes company names to avoid being held accountable, see below:

Colorado Radon Institute

Telephone: [protected]

Email: radoninstitute AT aol.com

Website: http://www.servicemagic.com/rated.ColoradoRadonInstitute.12602646.Mold-and-Asbestos-Services.-12072.html

Micro Environmental

dba Envirospect of Denver

Cell: [protected] (cell)

Email: theecodepot AT aol.com

Website: www.envirospect.net

Despite Michael Merit�s suspicious business practices, Service Magic, Inc. accepted the Colorado Radon Institute and Michael Merit as members and have since endorsed and recommended their services, see http://www.servicemagic.com/rated.ColoradoRadonInstitute.12602646.html.

In fact, according to Service Magic�s Contractor Relations Specialist Harry Patkowski, he cannot even get in contact with Service Magic's pre-screened service magic professional Michael Merit. We rated Michael Merit accordingly on Service Magic�s web site and wrote, �BUYER BEWARE!!! Don't hire Service Magic's client, Michael Merit; you must read about them on http://www.concernedconsumers.com/. I gave him one star only because it was required for this submission.�

Nevertheless, Service Magic continues to advertise, endorse and recommend Michael Merit and the Colorado Radon Institute with five stars. Mr. Beaudoin, why do you continue to endorse such a client?

DO NOT USE THE SERVICES OF ANY OF THE ABOVE-NAMED COMPANIES - MORE LIKELY THAN NOT, THEY WILL MAKE FALSE PROMISES AND SCAM YOU OUT OF YOUR MONEY!!!

homeontherange Sep 27, 2010

Thanks for a detailed and informative post. You can check if this contractor is still with ServiceMagic by using its "screen a pro" service. http://www.servicemagic.com/screen/

I hired a terrible roofer through Service Magic and just today determined that he is still with Service Magic.

fraudulent charges!

I signed with Service Magic appx. one year ago offering my services as a real estate appraiser. After I went a "rigorous" and extensive check to verify my credentials which cost me $50.00 I was so "pleased" that I was "accepted". Two "qualified" leads (as they call them) later from two unscrupulous mortgage brokers made me think that this company doesn't care at all about the consumers but in fact they are in it just for the money. I explained Magic "professional team" that I am not going to loose my license hitting a pre-determined value for some ### mortgage brokers and I am not willing to pay for unqualified leads. Well guess what ? According to a Magic Service email I have received today my account has been terminated and sent to a collection agency. Now what is this ? Is this how honesty is treated today ? Haven't we seen enough of the devastating effect caused by fraud ? I am disgusted and nothing is going to stop me to spread the word around about this immoral, unethical company which is Service Magic.

George.

Anna Hicks Mar 12, 2008

I wish I had read your complaint before I signed on with Service Magic. I was with this company only 1 week and spent $174 for bogus leads. The leads were definitely not good. The the last name of one prospect was incorrect, wrong phone number, emails bounced back, one prospect stated he never requested by service through Service Magic. Yet they expect for me to pay for bogus leads. Their solution was an in-house credit. What good is a replacement lead if they are also bogus?

Circlesucks May 06, 2008

I agree maybe a class action lawsuit is what they need.

• To
    Tom May 17, 2008

I totally agree with both of you about ServiceMagic. As a matter of fact, I posted a complaint with the BBB in regards to their fraudulent business practices. Almost every single "lead" were bogus. One of the few that we were able to set up an estimate for, the customer complained that she had already received multiple calls from other ServiceMagic contractors competing for her business. According to her, the contractors who called from ServiceMagic were very rude and unprofessional, which of course taints the image of my company before I even set foot in their home. Hell, I didn't even know that I would have to compete for leads that I was already paying for!! After going back and forth with the jokers from ServiceMagic, we finally decided to eliminate them as a marketing tool. Unfortunately, they don't want to let you go. Instead they give you credits for more crappy "leads". We basically just told them to piss off and never call us again.

dan Jun 05, 2008

I have been a contractor working with Service Magic for around 1 month and so far have had 9 leads for entire roof replacements. 5 have been bogus, 3 turned out to be legitimate estimates, and 1 was out of my area. They sell each lead for $55 to 2-3 other contractors. The 2 contractor part is a total joke because they obviously are selling it to as many total contractors as possible (4) to maximize returns. The industry standard is to get 3 estimates, but not when a fourth is worth another $55 to a referral service. One of the problems with the way they run their business is the fact that they could care less about the contractors who are the lifeblood of their business. They look to sell each and every lead to as many contractors possible to maximaize profits. If a contractor is unhappy and quits, they just hire a new contractor to replace the old one. This is why they are always hiring, if you dont believe me just inquire with them and I garantee they will have openings for all the trades. They also run their website in a deceptive way to bait unsuspecting customers. These customers are the ones who are not actually interested in having their roofs done but were enticed to enter their information to get to another page on Service Magics website. These same customers are the ones who dont call the contractors back because they were not interested in having the work done in the first place. What they also didnt realize is that their name and phone number fleeced 4 contractors out of $55 and lined the pockets of the service magic corporation to the tune of $220. I have been with different internet referral services and they are so far the worst. The servicemagic rep told me that no refunds will be given for the $55 leads and that customers NOT RESPONDING TO LEADS IS BUILT INTO THE PRICING. There is a reason they are always very activly recruiting contractors. So far only 3 25% chance estimates has cost me over $495 and many headaches.

• Ro
    Ron Jun 12, 2008

Service Magic is definitely a scam all around. I have experienced the same problems bogus leads you can never contact. I have told Service Magic to turn my leads off and they will turn them back on without my permission. If I do not check my emails daily and they send a lead I am charged because they provided me the information. What a scam!!! Oh they will give you credit on your next lead after you go through the hassle of emailing a request and explaining what happened. Even though I am on the telephone talking to a customer representative I still have to go to their website and my account and email a request. What a difficult way for a busy contractor to deal with an unprofessional business. I have even went to my account emailed my request and then they want me to call them. What a joke. We have refused to pay for a lead after they were told to turn off the leads and of course being the upright company it is not, they have terminated and sent our account to collection. I was going to pay the bill but after finding this site and all the complaints I feel there really needs to be some legal action against Service Magic.

bobbie Jun 20, 2008

Look... good luck getting a lawsuit against servicemagic, if u read the the fine print or Terms and Conditions you will see everything in writing.if you are promised something by a individual and its not in writing then the rule is in was never said. When you are first getting into servicemagic they let you know that about 1 and 10 are good leads, thats an average not a promise! I notice that when something isnt perfect people always say its a "Scam" or its "Fraud". There are thousands of contractors that are successful that use servicemagic and in some cases change there lives. we do try our best to make sure that every lead we send, are people who want the work done, however some do fall thru the cracks and its truly unfortunate. most contractors are hard working people who are amazing at what they do, I to would be pissed if i got a bad lead, think about the yellow pages and other forms of advertising how affective are they? truly? If you work the program set up by servicemagic chances are it will work, not to say you will never get a bad lead, but the cost of those leads compared to the fixed target spend rate with the yellow pages at a 3% chance of getting a good lead you have a 10% chance with servicemagic and most of are contractors are doing 50%. If you look at our website we state very clearly that we try to match consumers with 1 to 4 contractors, we never say we will give the job to you on a sliver platter, we get your foot in the door its up to you to sell your company. with everything you do no matter what avenue of marking you choose there is risk and there are no promises made, by any company. Some have you gave up after a week of being with servicemagic and one person was with us a month!! what do you do if you are hired for a job and things go wrong or dont work out the way you want? do you up and leave the job or quit? Dan says the we bait unsuspecting customers, not true at all! before a request is submitted a pop up comes up that says "Please respect our contractors time and only put this request in if you are serious about getting this done". and when did 3 estimates become the industry standard? a consumer has the right to get as many as they want. and we took a poll and most people want 4. I will agree with Dan that contractors are the backbone of servicemagic and we do try to help and not purposely hurt your company in anyway and I am truly sorry to hear all of you had such a bad experience, we are trying to improve everyday and alot of the time bad leads get sent out are because of individuals working for servicemagic some of them just dont know enough about construction the people who work servicemagic are monitored closely and if you submit to many bad leads you are fired, so its not all about money, i know this cause i work at servicemagic and I am not a mananger or high up there I deal with contractor and consumers on a daily basis and I see how this service has helped people

Mary Aug 29, 2008

I am an Account Specialist for Service Magic and find most of your complaints one sided. I have worked with contractors for years for residential as well as commercial. What most of you are not indicating is that Service Magic is not offering you "Lead Replacements" for consumers that clearly go to the intenet and purposely enter in phony information at your expense. The question that should be asked here is what is your intrepretation of a "qualified lead"? We at Service Magic call 8000 leads a day for the contrators verifying if the customer was contacted by the service professional, many times they are not, or contractors make appts they don't keep for one reason or another. We also ask them what is the status of their project. This is it, everything else as far as qualifying the lead is done by the contractor so we do not impede your sales process. We are a lead service folks we are not selling you jobs! There is a difference as there are companies out there that will charge you well over $2000 for a job. The question is how much will you pay for a qualfied job! If you have questions feel free to call our Customer Service Call center as we are here to answer any question you may have on your account. Thank you.

• Ro
    robert johnson Sep 15, 2008

I am a service magic contractor and have been signed up for three months. I had real good resultes, 1 st month i won 7 leads out of 15' not bad, but i was on top of it and worked it hard .Now the leads have droped off a bit but thats construction up and down

• Wo
    wojciech kiszkiel Oct 02, 2008

Service magic ia a big scam. I got almost arested because of Service magic(guy call cops because i tried to rech him on the number that service magic gave me)
    Did around 20 estimates and got 0 jobs. Paid for 40 leads of which half were bogus

Bob Wright Oct 27, 2008

This Service Magic company should disappear! They billed my card for leads even though I had not formally agreed to work for them. I phoned my bank to put a block on any of their charges.
    They charged me even though they didn't have a signed contract from me and I did not complete any work on their behalf.
    They turned me into their collection department.
    I fully support a class action lawsuit.

• Ms
    mshmoo Dec 10, 2008

I am a contractor.
    I have almost same experionce as like yours.
    This website shows about 'class action'

• Co
    concrete503 Feb 28, 2009

I'm a contractor and have been using Service Magic for a month. I recently got a referral for a job that was for installation of new countertops. Well the address that came up didn't seem like a residental neighborhood, so I went to check it out. Well, it turned out to be a apartment complex. After that, I proceeded back to my office and do a reverse find on the telephone number, and it came up with a different address and name that was on the referral. How weak is that.

maiddirectory Mar 15, 2009

Visit www.maid-directory.com a new nationwide directory to list your company absolutely free.

• Jr
    Jrge Fraco Mar 15, 2009

Advertising is advertising. It's that simple. When I started my flooring company, I initially did the same thing every other contractor in the world did. I put an ad in the yellow pages, I paid for one of those magnetic company signs to put on my pickup, I posted small stacks of business cards at local coffee shops, and sent out flyers to every homeowner in my demographic.

My Yellow Page ad ran me right around $1, 400 for the year, my custom magnetic signs (2, one for each side) were about $300, flyers ran about 49 cents each and since I sent out 2, 500 of them, that equated to about $1, 225, and the busines cards were cheap, but you need those anyway, so I won't figuree that into my advertising costs. So, with my conventional forms of advertising I spent around $3, 000.

A contractor friend of mine who does landscaping turned me on to Service Magic, so I thought I'd take a look. So, I called and the sales rep I spoke with (think his name is Carson) told me that people come to their website to find licensed and insured contractors, which I am. So I signed up. I signed up to for hardwood flooring leads at $38 or $28 per lead depending on whether or not the customer has the materials. Within a 25 mle radius from my location I was receiving about 2 leads per week. I ended up spending about $200 before I landed my first job. As of now, I on average spend ablout $125-$300 before I am able to land a job.

Yellow pages generated ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for me. Not a SINGLE call! My flyers landed me 2 bids, but both fell through.

I'm not sure what the rest of you were told about their advertising, but I knew exactly what i was getting into when I signed up with Service Magic. I knew they were not garanteed jobs, just like billboard advertising does not offer garanteed jobs, but all I wanted was the opportunity to talk to good folks who were/are looking into getting work done. Service Magic did just that. I'm satisfied. Not sure what else to say, other than:

ADVERTISING IS ADVERTISING!!!

• Fl
    Floor Guru Mar 31, 2009

I have been using Service Magic since last October. I just dumped them on 3/30/09. Some of their leads are in crack town, some are just "Tire Kickers" or some you can never get in touch with! Even the few "replacement" leads were useless.
    Service Magic is the pits, unless you are willing to compete with lowballers and bottom feeders, and basically work and try to run a business, bidding at half price then you don't need Service Magic.
    They are truly a useless lead generator. And I refuse to do business with cheapskate homeowners who think anyone with a saw and a truck is a seasoned flooring mechanic. Or that some illegal alien advertising on Craigs List, is actually a legitimate business.
    There's a new scam out there also. It's called www.everycontractor.com Google their name and/complaints. believe it or not they are just as bad if not worse than Service Magic.

• Gp
    gpc May 29, 2009

Service magic are sly people they recently due to the fact I would not sign up posted a comment with my business name stating this company is a not a service magic pro. Neither is half a million others. They use this ploy this technique as a scare tactic along with constant calls. Bye the way Gpconstruction llc. is not associated with service magic in any way shape or manner. That should give me alot more work. lol. Suggestions for all of you contractors trying to subsidise your income. Networking is number one always, friends, workers, family distant lol. word of mouth travels faster. If you must find others try bid clerk 50 a month all the jobs at your finger tips. CDC for you commercial and heavy companies great website always try it out first then make a comprehensive decision. CDC should run about 800 a year. Be informed be skeptical even on your purchases. Bye the way 1800 contractors and service magic are the same company and you will be bidding on some jobs against them on bid clerk. Another search engince is the town or city you live in for federal and government jobs up and coming on most town or city websites for free. Enjoy the bidding and bid smart. GP

Andy Jun 17, 2009

I tried out Service Magic also and was scammed. Leads were supposed to have plans, permits, financing in place and be within 25 miles of our location. Not. I had to pay for leads so far away that I never made contact. I was charged money to set up and put $400.00 in my account towards leads. I made contact with one potential customer that was only looking for entertainment. When I cancelled I had $140.00 in my account and they wouldn't refund it. What a scam! Buyer beware. It did cost me money but more than that, frustration and time wasted.

jcmann01 Jun 25, 2009

I am a contractor with Service Magic and indeed have gotten many leads so far. I have handed in 5-7 leads that clearly fit on their list of refundable credits. However, its been two weeks and I have not seen one penny returned to me for these leads. Now, they guarantee 5-7 business days, but why I don't see the credits by now clearly tells me that there are unethical practices going on here. The ethical way of them handling this is not to charge the contractor for the questionable lead until it has been checked out under the "Service Magic Service Level Agreements" that they set up. Now, Service Magic is quick to charge the contractor for a lead and quick to take the whole thing to collections, but don't take their own unethical practices into account at all? If you go to Walmart and your not happy with the Merchandise, they refund you for it right away. If you are unhappy with the lead at Service Magic, they tell you to come back in two weeks after they make a decision about whether or not they will
    refund you the credit for the lead.

• Gl
    Glen71 Jul 22, 2009

scams

• En
    Environmental Resourec Tech Aug 28, 2009

I am a new Service Magic customer and feel totally scammed. When I talk to anyone at service magic I in vision a puppy running in circles chasing its own tale. These people are fraudulent and I am cancelling my account immediately. Most leads are bogus and some people on the bid request aren't even the property owner nor can they authorize work and they damn for sure aren't paying the bill. I wish I would of really checked them out before I signed up. Does anyone have a similar company the are doing good business with?

• Or
    ort Sep 11, 2009

new to this thank you all before i made the same mistake

• Si
    sierenplumbing Sep 16, 2009

I signed up to bogus magic and set my limit at 100.00 market match and 100.00 exact match. The first day i recieved 7 leads and was wondering how in the hell that many leads would spread out over a month! I got on to my account, and wouldnt ya know, my limits were set at 250.00 each! Not only did that puke sales rep STEVE CASTIGLIONE lie to me to get me to sign by telling me that if I didnt get ahold of the people, I could get a lead replacement, he betrayed my trust instantly by going against my wishes of a higher spending limit and put down whatever amount he thought I should pay. So I call to cancel and of course was bombarded with calls from account managers, reps, and whoever to stay on board. "we will get this straightened out" and "we will send you some free leads to make it right". I was charged 300 bucks my first week, and was only agreed to pay 200 for the whole month!! and out of the 15 leads I got, i made contact with only 3, and they were really strange conversations I had too, almost like set up. So why do I want free leads that are junk anyway?? but I gave it a couple more weeks, and no free leads, just kept getting leads that went nowhere. 600 bucks i got in service magic in my first month and all I got out of the deal was head aches and wasted time. Not one cent back, and when I called to ask about my free junk leads, no answer or return call in three days. So I sent an email and cancelled, no phone call from a rep trying to keep me around, just a confirmation letter would be fine was what I said, and if any more leads get sent to me I will refuse to pay.. I cannot believe that this company has not been investigated or charged with fraud or theft charges. If there were a lawsuit filed, I would spend TWICE what I lost with the crook ### to have an opportunity to close the doors on this criminal empire.

Eric Sieren, owner of

SIEREN PLUMBING SOLUTIONS (and I hope that they see who I am!... If I lived in CO. Id make a stop by and say it in person to thier worthless, thieving, lieing @$$es!!)

MagicMan777 Oct 30, 2009

Check out this link for hundreds of real contractors making great money by usinng ServiceMagic!

MagicMan777 Oct 30, 2009

Before u listen to these Internet Jokers, check out this link to Dozens of Contractors who Love ServiceMagic. It really does work people, you just need to sell yourself to the Home/Business owners requesting the bids! Stay On It!

• Ti
    timclaud34 Nov 05, 2009

I logged onto Service Magics website this morning wanting to use there services because my competitors do and was really looking forward to getting help with leads but after researching them I don't know if I should. What should I do?

• Ly
    Lynx410 Dec 05, 2009

Advertising is Advertising, BUT:

I am a carpet cleaner who has used Service Magic from the get go. I understand that nothing is garanteed and this is what I expected. However,
    the underlying deception that most contractors did not bother to mention
    is Service Magic's lack of flexibility when it comes to getting credit
    for leads that are charged to their account, but don't pan out. For instance,
    I had a lead from a lady who went to Service Magic, filled out the forms, and
    was referred to me. Okay, I called her and she later told me that she spoke
    to the landlord and decided to have him hire another contractor to clean the
    apartment for her. Okay, fair enough, but I am still out $12 for this? The
    lady had already made up her mind to have someone else do the work before I called her. Is this a fair lead? Ok, I applied for a credit, but was denied, stating that she had the authority to have the work done, but was entitled to change her mind. Now Service Magic did not just make $12 off of me, but many other contractors as well in my assigned areas. They could have made well over $100 for this bogus lead. Is this fair to contractors? No, but the only one who ever seems to profit from everyone's loss is Service Magic. My only beef with Service Magic is that they should be more flexible with giving credits back to the contractors if they ever intend on staying in business. After getting many leads like this and no credit in return, I put the business
    on indefinate hold after having to pay a whopping $100 + in bogus lead money.
    Otherwise, they were threatening to take me to small claims court over it.

For those of you working at Service Magic, who are vigilantly defending this service, I suggest you start looking for employment elsewhere because the mounting public dissatifaction with this service is only growing each year and will either end in lack of business from being reg flagged or bankruptcy from class action lawsuits. I understand that Service Magic has to make a lot of money in order to stay in business, but if they worked with Contractors in being more flexible with credits, then they would gain much more business and good credit in return. Being a hard assed big steam roller is what they are good at though and it is the natural progression of business economy for services like this to be eventually replaced by better and more satisfactory services that suit more consumers and contractors. They treat contractors more like they are ignorant employees that don't have any other choices to make because Service Magic is a BIG Advertiser on the Web. I am here to tell Service Magic that we are small business owners that have other choices and can easily cancel your HIRED service that WE PAY YOU to PERFORM for us. If you don't believe this, look at AT&T and IBM back in the 80s and you will see that their monopolized empires eventually fell apart and were replaced by more efficient and satisfactory competition.

Mike A. Cote Jr Dec 30, 2009

I have read many of your complaints and can understand where everyone of you are ccoming from!
    i signed up with Service magic two years ago and did receive some good leads two years ago. Since the crash in the economy, residential home owners are in the same boat we are all in...not in a financial situation in which we can make any large investments.
    I was at the point in which i was receiving $1, 000.00 for regular leads and a $1, 000.00 dollars for "exclusive" leads. i received all bogus leads this year. The complaints i would receive from the customers were that they were just browsing and not looking for a contractor, they changed their minds or already found another contractor, or would simply not answer my calls or reply to the e-mails. When i reported this to the Service Magic Reps. they told me to continue the persuit, and all the time knowing that you only have so much time to claim a refund. I had 43 refund request and I received 10 refunds which were 10 new bogus leads that kept the monotiny going. My business or line of work that i do costs me $50.00 to $100.00 per lead. Multiply that amount with 43 bogus leads! When i started ignoring the leads and rquesting that they shut off my leads, they say they didnt record the conversation? They were sending leads over my leads limit, i tried to explain to them that i had a contract with a spending cap and that i was not going to pay over my spending cap and wanted credit for those 43 bogus leads. They tried to bill my card but was wise enough to call my bank and have a block put on this business. When i did this they cut my service off and now have a collection agency calling and claiming that i owe them $3, 033.00!!! My spending limit was only $2, 000.00?? I am not going to pay a bogus company for bogus leads!!
    I have told the collection agency that there will be a class action laaw suit and that until that is settled I werent paying a dime. My suggestion to all you contractors, write to the agency that is constantly bothering you with your story and let them know you are going to join the law suit. And when was is started or if I knew how to start one I would like to go after these maggets!!

Mike Cote/Maine

• Ed
    ed MacFarlane Jan 17, 2010

I use to feel the same way about Service Magic. What you need to do is walk yourself thru the entire site to take full advantage of the services. There is more to it than lead generation. For example, customer follow up section, the ability to turn off the leads when you want via the web-site. Granted they will turn on automatically in two weeks, you can go in and shut them off before they actually come back on. You can actually end up with a rating that will help greatly with the exact match customer. I have had customer tell me my bid was slightly higher than the competition but they hired us anyway because of the rating! What other sources would everyone suggust besides SM?

David Vazquez JR Feb 06, 2010

My Name is Dave, Freelance Event & Wedding Photographer
    Words cannot describe how frustrating in dealing with Service Magic Pros. Service Magic made it very clear that I can only receive leads within state of NJ...Well guess what they started sending me leads in Philly PA, At $30.00 a lead. I knew were this was heading. So I decided to withdraw from this organization as I expressed my concerns, I was told that an entry on my account was an error. I then decided to do a little research about Service
    Magic and low and behold the amount of complaints is growing and bogus leads are being charged to contractors. Even after withdrawing guess what...$50.00 was removed from my account Illegally without my permission...Now they got a fight in their hands!
    I warn all those who would consider joining service magic...Good Luck and hang on to your wallets!
    David

• Wr
    Wrong Hombre Mar 11, 2010

Complain to the right person:

1525 Sherman St.
    Denver, Colorado 80203
    P: 303-866-4500
    F: 303-866-5691
    [email protected]

The More the Merrier! They used my registered name and address and advertising with their phone number. I called them and said I saw the ad. They said how can we help you. You can STOP USING MY RESITERED COMPANY NAME! Still waiting to hear back from the Attorney General so now is the time to Email, call and write.

• Pr
    Pracer Apr 07, 2010

I wish I could add some new information to side with SM. Their program is a SCAM and a JOKE at best... Same thing here. Bogus leads, dead ends, and wasted time; not to mention numerous calls to resolve it with nothing but apologies and more empty promises... Why would I want to spend more if they can't even deliver the minimum?
    I had to threaten legal action just to get them to stop charging my account!

• B6
    b61mack Apr 12, 2010

i also...got scamed by service magic...i had a customer tell me that his wife entered a contest...win...this...just fill out the form...that is how they generate so many bogus ...leads...that is why leads...don't anwser...their phones...or hang up on us...service magic is... quick to send your account to collections...i am thinking about suing them in small claims court...let them get a attorney...and explain to the judge why they have so many complaints...have them justifly the leads...each and every one...yes they have disclaimers on the contacts...but that does not give them the right to run fraudulant leads to us...even if we don't win...they will get the message...another unhappy contractor...tom...

Danascot Apr 29, 2010

ServiceMagic provides mostly junk leads from people who do not respond to phone calls or email or are not serious about going forward with a project.

Over the past two years I have gotten 20+ "leads" from ServiceMagic for architectural services. Exactly 1 resulted in an actual job. I was only able to actually speak with 5 of the leads and those were only tire kickers. If ServiceMagic would contact the lead to verify they are real and actually interested in the service they inquired about, the lead quality would be vastly improved, but obviously they take in much more money by providing junk leads to their "service professionals". ServiceMagic is a complete waste of time and money.

• I am a contractor live in Northern California and need help with finding a good reiliable Contractor Leads website to sign up for leads. Can any contractors please tell me what services on the internet are a good place to sign up for the Leads. Thank You. My email [email protected]

Thomaspoa Jun 24, 2010

Isn't it funny how some "contractors" will come to a complaints board to say how great their experience with Service Magic has been? If it is so great, why would they want S.M. to have more contractors to compete for the leads? It looks to me like S.M. will do anything for a buck.

SMREP Jul 01, 2010

*** Iam currently employed for service magic, and i had to reply to this message board. People who complain that all the leads are "bogus" are coming into the service with the WRONG expectations. Like Mention before service magic is a form of ADVERTISEMENT, your not going to win every lead your not going to talk to every lead, but you are getting your companies name out there!!! People you have to call more than once to contact the consumer you NEED to follow up, if your not willing to do the work DONT expect to be successful w/ service magic. NO we are not going to credit you because you couldn't get ahold of them, NO we are not going to credit you because a consumer changed their mind... WHY because they are valid leads. someone is looking to have the work done and we placed you in contact w/ them what happens after that is up to the consumer not service magic we did our job. Also keep in mind we do have filters in place to weed out bad leads just keep in mind if a consumer mis categorizes their job to something else that shouldn't be it's not us it's the consumer. That being said there is plenty of contractors who are more than happy w/ service magic because they know how to work the system they know that theres more to a lead than just a phone call, now iam not telling you how to run your business but i am telling you how to work our leads. if your not open for advice and how to become more successful in the field maybe you deserve to fail. PEOPLE stop calling SCREAMING AND YELLING it doesn't do anything but not wanna help you and if your talking to your customers the way you are to us NO WONDER your not winning bid i wouldn't hire you either LOL!! Just know how to work the system and i guarantee you your gonna win bids, know how you call the consumer know when to call know you profile know how important are your ratings and reviews and foremost know its advertisement **** (ps) 5 things we credit you for 1) Contact's phone # is disconnected or going to someone else's home 2) Lead came from a Zip code you don't cover 3) Lead is for type of work you don't do 4) a service professional looking how the system works 5) you have received a lead twice ( 1st most also be from service magic) EVERYTHING else we will not credit you for... now you know so dont complain when you dont receive your credit!!

• Un
    Unemployed Chump Jul 30, 2010

Try Working for them, give them years of to the grind dialing and smiling to kkep your job, and when you are at "Budget" you get fired for some Bogus BS. The tenure there is pathetic, they always have a new class starting in sales, people are under pressure at All times.

Alittleupset Aug 06, 2010

Not all Mortgage Brokers are [censor]! Maybe they were looking for a qualified Appraiser to use in your area? You should know that Mortgage brokers WERE your bread and butter. I am mortgage broker and I am still in the business because I am NOT a [censor]... so there! :)

• Pe
    PERWAIZ HUSSAIN Aug 09, 2010

i am job less . plasce job

• Ge
    george julian Aug 11, 2010

I am a General Contractor, and one of the sale Rep. call me to signe up with magic service, she aske me for my card # and later on when she start recording the conversation
    I ask her how much is the registration? and I was told it depends with leads . since it cost too much I told her Im not ready yet. so She call me after a month and I told Her
    Im not interested worst cases is they start taken out money on my account

Pls; Advice

• 33
    330racing Sep 05, 2010

Applied to receive quotes on kitchen countertops. Already in 3 hours I have received 3 calls from their automated system. This is ridiculous and I want it to stop NOW. I would never use their service again and will file complaint with the BBB if this does not stop.

I will probably file a complaint with the BBB anyway since this is no way to treat customers. I feel it is harassing and completely unacceptable. I really have nothing else to say except I am not a happy camper at all. I will not use any contractor associated with the company.

SMSupport Sep 07, 2010

Hello Rob-

This is Angela from ServiceMagic customer service. I believe we spoke on August 23rd and cancelled your service request and put you on the do not call list. We have a strict policy that refrains us from sharing your information to telemarketers or other 3rd parties, however if you are still receiving bothersome phone calls please contact me directly at [email protected] or at 303.963.8125. I hope we can resolve this issue and I look forward to hearing from you.

-Angela Doss

• Ha
    Harry Kass Oct 13, 2010

I do agree with you all I have the same problem with them and now they are sending me to collection for the leads that is not legitimate and also I have found out this individual did not own a property and the bank owns the property and it is under foreclosure. They have been sending me fraud leads for years and if you look at my account you found out that, 70% of the leads were forcefully by me credited and the rest was charged for the fraud and I have not got even one leads for last year.
    Class action sue is appropriate and I have been looking into that.
    Harry
    301-602-1842

ServiceMagicLawsuit Oct 14, 2010

If you would like to be included in a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT against "Service Magic" for their alleged "Fraudulent & Deceptive Trade Practices" among many other criminal & civil allegations, Please email me with your contact information & what exactly your experience was with service magic.

The “Terms & Conditions” you likely agreed to via voice recording, will likely be construed as an illegal and invalid contract by most judges, making such contract inadmissible in the lawsuit against them.

• Rc
    rcmariani Nov 05, 2010

Submitted to the Service Magic webiste on Nov 5, 2010
    BUYER BEWAR OF SERVICE MAGIC
    "Yes, today your Representitive called asking about me returning to Service Magic. I told her that after two years with never a job that I felt that you were only interested in my money and not my sucess. When I told her that Service Magic business model was broken and couldn’t last she hung up on me.

Nice! Diane Maki another Service Magic Rep restoring my faith that I did the right thing in leaving them. Maybe you should contact her for more magical service."

• Am
    A mad contractor Dec 19, 2010

SERVICEMAJIC SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM AND POOR POOR POOR POOR POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE...That is if they have some...I am a General contractor in San Diego Ca. I have had the same problem with servicemajic, i have invested money and on all leads the give you get 2 answer after you call. fake or no lead or you are competing with 4 other contractors. They have send my account to collections that is after i send request to customer service to talk to a live person and no answer back. These people are fraudelent, they say one thing when they ask you to sign up for leads and as time passes they change the stories and keep charging your credit card. They donot verify any info...

Mackers74 Jan 25, 2011

We are a contracting geothermal company out of Atlanta and we were once members with Service Magic, this was about 2 years ago. Today we found a most disturbing advertisement fraud with Service Magic using our name, our address, but their phone number. Basically the listing was found immediately under our company name, but when we called the contact number listed it went directly to Service Magic. Here is our complaint: About 2 years ago or so we were members with Service Magic and yes, they definitley do not do thorough background checks, as we found our competitors on Service Magic, without them even having a license to do buisness/contract work. Needless to say, we are licensed, insured and bonded so we felt that we had the upper hand and decided to stay with them on a trial basis. All for 6 months, then we cancelled it. When we cancelled it was due to our own bad experiences with Service Magic and even a personal family experience with Service Magic that ended horribly for them, so that was it, we were through with Service Magic, and this was 2 years ago(2009). During the year of 2010, we hired a person to help us with advertising that use to work with Service Magic from her home, fielding calls for them. We found out quite alot of bad marketing fraud that goes on - which I am not allowed to disclose- but contractors beware! Anyways, we hired this very nice lady, again back in 2010. I just want to give all of you a timeline here.. Joined service magic 2009 for 6 months then cancelled, hired a lady that use to work for servcie magic 2010, today 2011 January we found they are STILL advertising our good name and business, but with their contact information. We called the number and it went directly to a lady who stated " Thank you for calling Electrical.. blah blah". We answered back, "that's interesting, because I wanted E*** ( can't disclose my company name) heating and air and not an electrical company?" The lady at SM answered back, "Oh yes sir, sorry about that, as the company is busy with their schedule, would you like to try "blah blah" instead and I can get you set up with an appointment right away." Ok that ticked us off. So, they are not only using our company name with their phone number, but they are also LIEING TO THE CONSUMER- our would be customers, and fielding them to other contractors. After a rather lengthly conversation with this Service Magic "professional customer service rep", they promised to remove their phone number from all associations with E *** ( my business ). PAST CONTRACTORS OF SERVICE MAGIC-- BE AWARE OF THIS SCAM and FRAUDULENT ADVERTISING of YOUR GOOD BUSINESS NAME - We advise you to immediately do an internet search of your name. If you should locate any association with Service Magic, as you are not a client of theirs, but once were, we ADVISE YOU TO TAKE ACTION! Thank You.

• Ll
    Lloydwh Feb 03, 2011

Seargeants Remodel (ServiceMagic) aka JustinSchonna Huber have a remodeling scam. We have payed them over $8, 700 to tile one bathroom and one shower. The contract called for them to replace soffits, flooring, ceiling, etc. I realize they drag work schedule to collect payments (draw schedule) and then when you press them for time table the run.

Not to mention the quality of work is poor. They alledge to work for Sadler Homes, a large high end builder. One of the workers wife apparently works there. Don't rely on ServiceMagic reviews as the Huber's former business Infiniti Construction and J & S are prior businesses that have folded.

• Ir
    Ironknight Feb 07, 2011

I signed up with Service Magic after they had sent me free sample leads which were looking good. I paid 49 dollars to sign up, they waived 50% of the fee, one lead was minimum $36, pretty high for murals.

The leads I got were all BAD. The last one was the worst. It was false, the person never had asked for the service, about 10 people called him. I was told that 1 lead goes to 4 contractors. Wrong. 1 lead is almost $400 for SM.

Service Magic rips people off who are truly searching for work, and trusted them.

SMSupport Feb 07, 2011

Hello IronKnight-
    My name is Angela Doss and I am the online customer liaison here at ServiceMagic. I'm sorry to hear about your experience with our service and I'd be more than happy to speak to you about your account and frustrations. If you could please contact me, that would be greatly appreciated. I can be reached at 303.963.8125 or at adoss[at]servicemagic[dot]com
    Best regards,
    Angela Doss

• Tr
    TrueBlueContractors Feb 09, 2011

Hi - Try TrueBlueContractors.com. All leads are free with membership and organic (real people, really looking).

• La
    Lart Feb 22, 2011

Its sad that a company who advertises them selves as the "Great white hope" for contractors and consumers. Continues to screw both with vigor. Ive been with them for a year. In that time I have had nothing but bad leads, expired leads (I had one person tell me that they had had the work done 6 months previous to me receiving the lead) 98% of the contacts do not return a phone call or e-mail. Those that I did make contact in their home were overwhelmed by the amount of contractors showing up to their home. I was told there would only be 3 contractors sent the lead. One contact had had 11 before me and had 9 coming the next day. All of us paid $50 for that lead. Every Time I have contact with them they try to make it right. BUT would not cancel the contract. Finally I quit paying for BS leads and now they are sending me to collections! Bad mistake. I will be posting this here, The story on my blog and on all 5 groups I'm associated with on Link In. I get 15000 hits to my web site a month. Lets see how they like that!

• Ph
    Photoman Mar 01, 2011

To all business owners finding that ServiceMagic is misrepresenting themselves as your agent -

File a complaint with the Better, Business Bureau
    File a complaint with the Colorado Attorney General
    File a complaint with the US Attorney General

This method of doing business is HIGHLY ILLEGAL.

They send feeds to the various local listings on a periodic basis, so if you manage to correct the information with the local listing service, it will later be changed back to ServiceMagic's contact information again!!!

[email protected] Apr 13, 2011

Service Magic is a BIG FAT SCAM, they claim they are a service for the consumer, HAH! They contacted my husband several times and wanted to have him join, I was not impressed with how they go about wanting all the info (Lic, Ins/Bonds and your Bank Info) they charge the Contractor $50.00 for each referral, by electronic funds transfer, I laughed at the lady representing Service Magic, and told her she was not going to get any bank info from us. If my husband received an acceptance on his estimate and the consumer signed a Contract with our construction company, we would be more than happy to pay them, OH NO, that is not how they work. What really happens is that each contractor they refer for the specific job (weither you get the job or not) are charged $30-50.00. Wow, the contractors contacting the consumer could be as many as 20 plus, depending on your area. You do the math. They are making a killing and maybe one contractor gets the job, but they all paid a fee for the contact (the consumer). This is no Service!! Glad my husband listened to me and told them he was not interested in their so called service. Since the construction industry was hit so bad, due to the Banks and Wall Street colapse. Sonm many contractors are desperate for work and you will have good and bad contractors. This is my recommendation, ask for refferals, the best advertising is word of mouth. My husband has a great reputation, work ethic, and always makes sure the customer is 100% satisfied. Period. We are barely making it in these times, due to the small populated area we live in, however, we continue to make sure our customers always come first and foremost. If you hear from Service Magic, hang-up, the call isn't worth your time or energy.

• Tr
    Trevis Apr 18, 2011

I am a small business owner and I was contacted by service magic today. I am so glad i told them to call me back in a week. Sorry to hear all of these hard working people being ripped off by this company. I know as a business owner that every dime made is valuable and cant afford to be waisted with crap like this. I sure hope something is done so this doesn't happen to anymore people. Thank you to all the people that took the time to tell others of there experience with companys like this.

• Re
    reactor May 20, 2011

I was a member, about four years ago, and was scammed like the rest of you guys. I just wanted to comment on how they lie to the public also. They tell them all contracters are licensed, bonded, and insured. I was only insured, they still accdepted me. Now they are calling wanting me to join again. I told them now I am not licesed, bonded, or insured. They said it didn't matter, I could still join. Yaaaa right!!

Limp Skully Jun 10, 2011

Mary is FOS, this company has zero bussiness ethics. Ia m not a contractor but a customer that used thier website. It turned out to be a nightmare. I work graveyard and the phone rang off the hook for two weeks straight. My wife say we are still getting calls and it has been over a month. They pimped my number out to god and country. Not only did I not go with one of thier contrcators, I will never do bussiness with anyone associated with these clowns. Now I know why I was getting the hard sell you poor saps are getting popped for 60 bucks just to get someone like me who is pissed off because they recieved too many calls.

the pool guys Jun 16, 2011

service magic sets up web sites with there phone and your name and after you stop there service they still get leads from your company name

SMSupport Jun 17, 2011

Good afternoon The Pool Guys –

It sounds like you are referring to the exact match program. I apologize if you had any confusion around this and wanted to help clear any questions up. Here is how it works. If a service professional has Exact Match activated, we promote our member’s business profile online using different advertising and keyword matching methods. The point is to get the contractor’s info out there and create a strong online presence. This site does have a phone number that connects to our customer service team so that we can still verify the type of work and zip code associated with the consumer. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me directly at 303.963.8066 or mblack [at] servicemagic.com.

[email protected] Jun 21, 2011

They are unethical, and unscrupulous. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM, they are still calling our home. Of course, I don't answer!!!

• Cn
    cncain Sep 14, 2011

I have not used them. However, I did get a call from them today using the number 913-529-2784, which I searched google for and ended up here on this site. I'm glad I did.

I thought the person on the phone was quite rude to me to start with. When I told them I did all my own PR, web and advertising, so I was not in need of their service, she said "Well, we'll just call your competitors then." I said "thank you" (LOL), and hung up the phone.

Then I wanted to see what I found about the rude company, so I searched their number. Thank you for all this information.

CNC

• Dj
    djulien Oct 03, 2011

Cancelled account with ServiceMagic.com and they continue to advertise using my business name with their website and phone number.

SMSupport Oct 04, 2011

Good morning DJulien -

I apologize that your experience led you to cancelling your account and that your exact match listing has not been fully removed. When your account is cancelled, it can take some time to be removed from the search engines; we have to wait for each one to do a web crawl update. I sent your information over to one of our representatives to help you. If you have any questions, please contact me directly at 303.963.8066 mblack[at]servicemagic.com.

jcmann01 Oct 13, 2011

jcmann01 Oct 20, 2011

Don't bother calling them back. They will only sweet talk you into doing nothing and tell you that they are really not responsible to stealing your business from you. This is called business piracy and it is illegal for one business entity to be stealing business from another business entity using unethical and devious means. You have to do something about this or they will just continue to raid potential business using your name that you have worked so hard to build.

At last, the ball is moving and attorneys in Washington are working on investigating Service Magic for their unethical practices. I had one call me the other day wanting all kinds of information about them- facts, figures, people I spoke to, the business arrangements, and dates. He said to send him any further legitimate evidence of business fraud and deceit that may have been committed by this corporation. Richard Toikka with Farkas & Toikka in Washington. DIR 202.337.7802Please don't call to just wine and complain about them. He wants facts, figures, and clear cut evidence that can be used in court.

• La
    lankie Nov 05, 2011

I haven't yet registered with them, but I have received a phone call 3 days ago while working at a job site. The caller made me believe that he was a potential client looking at engaging my services. I said that at that particular moment I could not talk but that I would be available toward the end of the business day to discuss the matter. He did not call me as agreed. I then decided to called him and left him a voice mail message explaining that I would try to make myself available on the following morning although morning time is normally bad for me because I work and I cannot concentrate on calls. He called me again on the following morning catching me again unprepared. He asked for my contractor license number, date of birth and social security number indicating that it was his company policy to run a background check before proceeding with a contractual agreement with me. This is done quite often and is not uncommon, but then he asked for my credit card number and explained what his company (Service Magic) exactly does. I did not have the card at hand, and I told him to call me back another time. I believe he wants to finalize the deal next week. My question is: has everyone gone thorough the same procedure? I mean: has Service Magic asked for all this personal information to everyone, and has Service Magic stolen identities? Their Internet site shows their privacy policies, and how they guard the information, but one never knows.

TH in GA Feb 28, 2012

I must thank all of you for taking the time to post your experiences with service magic as I was thinking of using them. Fortunately I found this site (as well as numerous others) that sold me on not doing business with them and thereby saved me the loss and frustration that so many of you speak of! Thanks Again!

• Up
    upandrunning Jun 02, 2012

You contractors whine too much... see it from the consumer's point of view. When we set up the search for pros to fix our broken down homes, we put in the best descriptions we can without being knowledgeable of the contractor lingo. Then service magic's database uses the keywords to find the best pros for the job in our zip code area. Today I got three pros for choices. As I can not nor do I NEED three contractors to do ONE job ... I have to choose by having them come and convince me that they can do the best job for the best price without padding the price. It's up for bids, literally. If my Uncle Norris was still alive he'd do all of my home repair for free and even add stuff just because he is a proud worker and loved his profession. Old homes need just as much love and more care than new homes ... you all should be ashamed of yourselves. One of you said you only get the crack house jobs... shameful that you say such things... shameful.

• Ww
    www.bidproconnect.com Jun 20, 2012

As a client, you are able to post your project, add photos, a description, upload documents, set a closing date, communicate with new project professionals through forums and direct messages, view bids and award your project to the best project professional for your job. In addition, you can also search and filter through project professionals in your area, view their information, reviews, photos, credentials, documents, and invite the project professionals you like to bid on your project! BidProConnect gives you an easy way to find project professionals in your area, and also gives project professionals an easy way to find you, all in one place. Completing your project just got a whole lot easier!

Check it out, www.bidproconnect.com!

• i am a lic. ca. contractor who has had the same experience and the same complaints you read about with service magic aka home adviser, i have also had to close my credit / atm card and will have to deal with a collection agency wanting to collect money for phone number or lead's that don't exist, I took the time to look at who own's service magic, it is a company called i a c. If you google i.a.c. click on the iac, you will see all of the company's they own including servicemagic . i found it interesting they own a lot of dating service co. ect. pretty much scam company's, you will also find service magic in small print. now go back to google and click on (about i.a.c.) click on management, take note of last name's ect i found it quit interesting. now go back to the top of the page and click on the board of directors, look at how is #5 on the list. google that name and see who she is married to, now the interesting part. google the husband;s name then google the father, look at the bottom of the wiki page, he has quit a history. it seems the whole company is is run by a bunch of liars and scam artists and they probably own the collection agency and the phone numbers that they sell as lead's. ( who know's what else ) They have a lot of power and money behind them, that got a lot stronger with the new kid on the block. make's you wonder ? it's bad enough home owner"s get bad advise ? ect. who they could give a dam about, or the lic. & unlic. contractors. From the very bottom ( lead's) to the very top it"s all about making money from the middle class.(both side's) this whole scam needs some good exposure. I don't know how to do it but somebody must, there are a lot more people out there who are going to lose good money to pay overpaid corp. salaries.They have no mercy and a lot of greed.

• Wa
    Wallace Builders Dec 04, 2012

yes... i joined service magic and thought this might work for me. well just like alot of you this was a scam. I got 14 leads and not one worked out...One lady told me that she has never heard of service magic (home advisor) and to off her property...They said that would give me a credit for this...No i was still chared for it...Now im getting phone calls from a collection agency saying that i owe them over $600.00 ... WE ALL NEED TO SUE THEM... File your complaints with your state board of consumers and the B.B.B...Lets put them out of work and get (us) that have a legit busienss for over24 years, back to work for someone that CARES about the real working family...Anyone out there that has been SCAMMED...Service magic or so-called Home Advivors...Please VOICE your Anger ...GOD BLESS AMERICA

Michael Crowley Mar 04, 2015

They are relentless in their pursuit to, "snag you in". Okay, so after many conversations with them over the phone..they got me! The 8 months go by with disappoint after disappoint. Oh, and let me not forget to mention loss of time and money. I have been on many of erroneous estimates;text message Hassel's from people texting me or calling me about fake leads.Can not some adults get a life?! I have wasted fuel and business time.They have charges me unknowingly at times too. Leave any messages regarding your displeasure? "A slow boat to China will get you there faster". In conclusion: Do not let there superficial customer service fool you. This company is, " a sheep in wolves clothing". The worse business experience I have ever had.,

Scam and deceptive advertising!

Sales man david reed claims to be able to hook your website for your business to hundreds of other pages and sites and promises that your website will be directly linked to service magics site free of charge as soon as you sign on. They list only the beneficial ratings of companies, and through 'direct match' wash there hands of bogus leads. Before you sign up for the service it is promised that they filter leads both coming in and also going to the contractors. Once your signed on they then claim its just advertising. Fraud comes to mind.

They claim they do checking and research for licenses in the areas you wish to serve, false claim and to prove it I was able to add Iowa for my line of work who requires contractor licenses for the state, but I wasn't able to add minnesota who does not require any licensing for my line of work. They offer there so called services in all 50 states of the United States, the goods or promises they make are vigerious 10 point screening. (more like 3 point screening)

What they call a Ten point inspection turns out to be a check for insurance to make it look good and a check on the contractors routing number along with the account numbers. Another false thing they do is tell you leads are direct match, but in fact they sent that same $30 to $60 lead to roughly 3 customers on average, equals about $180 per lead for them, and a piss off customer that go's with someone else completely do to being bombed with calls. Injury to my bank account and my reputation is on the line for buying into there sales pitch, empty fraudulent promises.

This company is immoral, unethical, oppressive, unscrupulous; and substantially can injure consumers and contractors alike by mismatching professionals the consumer believes to be qualified, contractor that is slow on work that is having a rough time, by being mismatch and potentially running there reputations.

End result, out of work contractor that may have been legit for there original field, an unhappy customer that has to pay more a second tine to have work done twice, and the people that run ServiceMagic a few dollars richer off this miss portion of others. They fail to disclose material fact at the time of sale of profiles to the consumers who later in the system are the contractors, also to the home owner slash consumer that hires these screened professionals.

They also speak against other lead companies saying how they can't do anything for anyone, (Product disparagement). The whole things built in bad faith.

• Kr
    Kragen Aug 25, 2008

This guy is stupid. He doesn't know what he is talking about. I am a sales rep at servicemagic. I have quotas and sometimes do not meet these quotas becuase of setbacks like licensing requirements, dba's, Inc's or LLC's not being in good status, etc! We do everything to verify that a company is legit. This is just another contractor that didn't ask the right questions at the right times. Why is it that SM has over 52, 000 contracting businesses w/o any long term committments? If theses contractors were not doing well they would all cancel right. With all of you that are filing complaints against us talk with someone that has made millions of dollars from us. Why is it that he is doing well and so many others fail. The people who do good work and gain referrals from the jobs they win. ServiceMagic only gets paid once in this circumstance and that is just good business. I happen to have a business degree and know a ton about business in general. Many of the contractors who start their own business are not businessmen they are contractors and that is why they fail! Consider the benefits of what we are able to do. Consider the fact that this is not something you can just jump into or you will end up like the guy above. Ask the right questions, learn how to manipulate us, then you will find that SM is your best friend.

• Ms
    ms bad ass Apr 15, 2009

### yah

• De
    Decorating Connections May 21, 2009

I have been a dealer for Service Magic since they first came to Canada and I can honestly say that they have been nothing but amazing at customer service. They are fast and efficient. We have been very successful in providing service to the clients that have been referred to us. I find these clients very educated, they know what they want and are a pleasure to work with.

All I can say is keep up the great work Service Magic by offering quality trades to the consumer.

Dan Jun 13, 2009

I have read nothing but bad reviews about this company from contractors to home owners. with all the different feedback I have read I can tell you they are a sales driven enviroment. look at there mission statement. here is the link http://www.servicemagic.com/rfs/aboutus/ourMission.jsp they dont care about either of their customers all they care about is making money. I know a guy who worked there and was fired for not meeting their revenue generating goals, they pay there customer service reps commission if they can sell you another service, to me that is bad customer service if you want something you will go find it right? why should you be harassed by these people in trying to get you in contact with another contractor. stay away from this company if you dont they will drive you crazy and take advantage of you, go find a better company to do business with. to me servicemagic sucks.

• Kc
    kc delivery service Jul 15, 2009

i have same problem with service magic

• Kc
    kc delivery service Jul 15, 2009

wach out from this people

• Ne
    neckfreak Sep 09, 2009

"This guy is stupid. He doesn't know what he is talking about. I am a sales rep at servicemagic. "

This is exactly what a servicemagic employee would say... With this aggressive behavior you are to banned from all networks. I'm putting so much effort to fix the damages your company has done to many of my current clients and the the online marketing business in general, that it is completely unbelievable that you people even TRY to raise your heads above the swamp you're in!!!

Do not get me started with real life examples what this lame company has done so far, i got proof - links, screen shots of inaccurate info, using home address instead of business one, selling or providing third parties with client info, negative comments when people try to resent your services, etc.

Servicemagic - you are a bunch of thieves and liars - get a regular job instead of stealing money for "leads" from people that actually "work".

chevy neutron Sep 28, 2009

servicemagic sounds shady

• Ri
    RichLee Oct 07, 2009

I'm offering an alternative to ServiceMagic. Community based. Free.

ContractorSolutionNetwork.com brings Pros & Homeowners together. Pros can find new business for free. Check us out @ http://ContractorSolutionNetwork.com.

Contractor Solution Network helps Roofers, Dry Wallers, Landscapers, Architects, HVAC, Carpenters, Plumbers, Electricians, and more. If you're a home service professional, you should be on ContractorSolutionNetwork.com.

• Gi
    girliepink Oct 24, 2009

http://ContractorSolutionNetwork.com.????? Where is your screening? Do you let anyone on your site?

• Gi
    girliepink Oct 25, 2009

Also, I wouldn't go as far as saying this particular service pro is stupid...but, there is a reason why some just don't make it. As my fellow coworker stated above; there are some that are good business men and some that are just good at what they do. As for me, I get the pleasure of working with the consumers. Sometimes I get the pleasure of calling some of our contractors, and I must say I am not impressed when they answer the phone and say " Hello" instead of "Bob the Builder Home Buiding. How can I help you?". Professionalism is the first step! Also, contractors not showing up on time or at all is our biggest complaint, so i would have to say the 2nd step is to do what you say, say what you do! If you tell a customer you are going to call them or be there then do it, and if not be courteous enough to tell them. Both the contractors and consumers have tools provided to them to make wise decisions to be successful and to help every project along smoothly, it's just up to you to listen and utilize them.

I have worked there for over 2 years and I am proud to work there! Never have I worked anywhere that is so customer service oriented! Of course the company expects revenue ITS A BUSINESS! However, I have fun there and enjoy each and every customer I come in contact with! That guy " Dan" wanted to post a link to our guiding principles, but I thought it would be better to paste them for everyone to see just how "awful" it is (gosh, I don't know how I have put up with this place for 2 years):

Guiding Principles:
    Serve Our Customers - We seek all customer comments and complaints, and firmly believe that every interaction is an opportunity to create a customer for life. We listen, we care, and we act to exceed their expectations and provide the best customer experience possible.
    Get It Done Through Teamwork - We believe the team is stronger than the individual. We rely on the collective talent and creativity of each team member and partner to continuously improve. We treat every team member with honesty, candor, and respect. Most importantly, we celebrate our team victories and have fun every day.
    Innovate to Win - We must constantly reinvent ourselves and challenge assumptions that limit our opportunities. We strive to anticipate future customer needs and then we solve what may seem unsolvable. We are not afraid of taking risks and making mistakes because the knowledge and experience that is gained will fuel our future breakthrough innovations.
    Create Superior Value - We cherish our precious human and capital resources. We focus on doing the right work at the right time and wisely deploy our resources at all times. We are committed to creating superior value for all ServiceMagic stakeholders including our customers, partners, investors, employees and the communities in which we serve.

• Pl
    plumber95 Nov 16, 2009

not all they say they are but sure beats yellow pages advertising . some leads are bogus and asking for credits is a pain and their new policy of advertising unscreened plumbing professionals on the same page we have to pay extra (need to have exact match leads ) is b.s.. why are these non members getting the benefit of the site but we have to pay for it? but on the other hand i have made some money off the calls i received and im still here after 4 yrs

MelodyB Nov 25, 2009

I've been a ServiceMagic customer on the business side for several years and I agree it can be a pain, but you need to learn to work the system! Just like with online adwords and keywords, you find out what works for you and what doesn't and adjust accordingly. Earlier this year we shut-off all our categories except 1 because the leads we were getting were all price-driven and we weren't going to play that game. We'll be around and those that low-ball won't be able to pay the bills after awhile. (Many are already gone) The 'rep' above is correct - many customers I have dealt with complain other companies matched to them didn't show, or remark later on our professionalism in some way. Just look at our 4.7 rating and our 22(ish) reviews! http://www.incontrolhome.com/?page_id=36
    So many tradesmen out there are merely self-employed persons, versus a business. They don't know how to *be* a business, and that hurts them. If you are calling "Bob" because he does it all, then usually he expects you to know that, already! But the customer doesn't and even though we are technically a mom-n-pop with 1 tech, I always answer with our business name.
    Just a few thoughts for anyone researching. This is certainly not the greatest lead source ever, and you still have to go out and promote your business yourself! No one is going to just hand you customers, though sometimes I think many people expect ServiceMagic, the internet/adword campaigns, et al to do just that.

Maglio Dec 03, 2009

I have been with servicemagic for over 2 months now and have been satisfied beyond belief. I just started my own company and in these 2 months have been able to get my company off the ground and have made more money than ever to support my family thanks to servicemagic. So anybody thats a sceptic or wants to talk bad about servicemagic probably hasent made any money bidding their jobs too high or being a customer thats choosing the wrong contractor for their work. I am a honest family man with a wife and kids at home, I dont scam anybody and I wont be scammed. Thats why I am still with servicemagic and plan on being for a long time to come. Do more research before you complain.

• Bb
    bbqit2 Dec 22, 2009

Dont do it, I did and I regret it...you keep paying and nothing...the people on the site are tires kickers.

Mitchostat Apr 06, 2010

You know there is another company out there that's hot on Service Magic's heals and it's CalFinder.

If you want information about their contractors and how they select them check em out at www.calfinder.com

I haven't heard nearly the negative comments about them as I have about Service Magic.

As for tire kickers CalFinder vets out all of those types...they have a whole department contacting leads and throwing out the ones who are not serious.

MelodyB Apr 07, 2010

Calfinder.com, according to my peers at ContractorTalk.com, is far worse. It costs disgustingly more and the lead quality is the same as SM or worse!
    The online lead selling game is a shell game. They sell the same leads to multiple people, sometimes through multiple company names, and charge each one of them the same price (or more) for it! They make out while we are left to chase our tails and call people night/day hoping they'll return the call. I've given up on that part, myself. I have never had a better than 50% return on leads, meaning out of my best catagories for getting leads, no more than 50% of them did I get to even bid. Some you never get to even talk to! I stopped the exact matches for this reason. Just because you don't get competition from other SM companies directly, doesn't mean the homeowner is only gonna deal with you. They can be getting bids from a friend's recommendation, etc. You are often times only there as a 'requirement'. For $75, I want to know for sure they are going to use me!

I haven't got anything off the new direct-sales thing they've started. We'll see how that goes down.

• Ti
    Timmib Jul 06, 2010

I am SO glad I didn't pay for servicemagic. The contractor I ended up getting for a concrete job is a total scam artist. He has changed contractor licenses every time a lawsuit is attached to his bond. He uses his different family members that have a good reputation and no bad record and creates a new company. The 10-point check that ServiceMagic does is completely ridiculous and anyone can look the info they provide for free! I will NEVER use this service again...especially since they charge the contractors for every "lead" they provide. That is completely ridiculous.

When I had a problem with my "pro" I tried to contact my "personal assistant" who never bothered to return my call. I called them and finally reached someone who was going to help me. She listed to my complaint, said she'd call the contractor and try to straighten out the fact that he didn't bother to show up when he said. Never heard from her again. Called back and left numerous messages...I give up. Contractor finally finished the job but it was definitely not done well!

ALEX CRESPIN Aug 17, 2010

Service Magic is bad for business. Turn off your lead option every week or it turns on by its self. They wanted me to go to jobs that my trade doesn’t do and still charged me for them. When they sent me e-mails to give a customer a bid I would call the customer and they said that they have enough companies coming out to bid and don't need anymore. I called customer service and they still charged me. I am now on a mission to call all the companies on there site or email them about what happened to me. If you are a co worker of service magic you are not going to talk crap about the people who are paying your bills so you really do not have any say in the matter. Until you are a business owner and not an employee then you can talk. Word of mouth for my company killed service magic Leeds and I will continue to let my new customers know about this unexceptable behavior. This company does not represent the American business owner to me but that’s for you to decide.

• Sh
    shylohjacobs Mar 17, 2011

Yeah, that sounds like a scam to me. And when I say that I mean a dangerous one. Why would anyone believe those outlandish claims?

• De
    decoremo Feb 04, 2012

service magic is ###ing horrible!!! Im a fully licensed and insured contractorwho has been on service magic 2 times and got screwed both times...I should have never signed up again. They drain your bank account with ### leads andthey dont screen possible customers.. All leeds i received were just people browsing the web site for something to do and were not even interested in having any work done.. Service magic takes money from from contractors for this and wont refund.. SAVE YOUR MONEY AND DONT GET ###ED BY THESE ### HOLES!!!

• Di
    disgruntledalso Apr 17, 2012

Servicemagic is a scam on contractors. We signed up, got zero contracts out of it, and tons of leads not even in our service area that they refused to give credits for. We had to stop our credit card to get them to stop taking money. Now they are trying to get us into collections for more BS leads.

• Tl
    Tlb1974 Apr 23, 2012

I was thinking about using SM. But if they are anything like cal finders. I think I will pass. I used cal finders and they took out over a $1000.00 out of my account before I ever got a lead. Then it took a few weeks to get it back. They said they had a accounting screw up. I finding out that most of these companies are scams. Don t waste your money!!!

SMSupport Apr 25, 2012

Hello Gudini -

I am sorry to hear that you are concerned about your experience with us. We do verify and screen all potential member businesses including searches for criminal convictions, sex offender registry, state-level licensing, insurance, civil judgments and others. We then collect direct feedback from homeowners through ratings and reviews.

After you are approved you have market match and exact match leads. Exact Match is an optional program where we promote our member business profiles online using different advertising and keyword matching methods. This allows the consumer to submit in a localized search and choose professionals they would like to hear from.

I would like to discuss your concerns and frustrations further in detail and answer any questions you might have. You may contact me directly at 303-963-8066 or [email protected]

Thank you for your time and I look forward to speaking with you.

• Ww
    www.bidproconnect.com Jun 26, 2012

Check out www.bidproconnect.com, it is a 100% FREE WAY TO FIND LOCAL LEADS!! As a Project Professional, No more paying for leads, no monthly subscriptions, no hidden costs or fees. Unlimited access! Exposure to thousands of projects with no limit to number of leads, bids, or awarded jobs. With no limitations, BidProConnect allows you to be as successful as you want to be. Everything you need to find leads, communicate, bid, and be awarded jobs all in one convenient location! No need to leave your home or office, everything you need is right at your finger tips. Did I say it is free? A free place for you to advertise your business with no hidden costs or paid upgrades. Check it out at www.bidproconnect.com

Are you looking to post a project? You are able to post projects, add photos, a description, upload documents, set a closing date, communicate with new project professionals through forums and direct messages, view bids and award your project to the best project professional for your job. In addition, you can also search and filter through project professionals in your area, view their information, reviews, photos, credentials, documents, and invite the project professionals you like to bid on your project! BidProConnect gives you an easy way to find project professionals in your area, and also gives project professionals an easy way to find you, all in one place. Completing your project just got a whole lot easier!

Check it out, www.bidproconnect.com!

clydesmom Jul 19, 2012

We were ripped off by contractor that Service Magic recommended. Service Magic said our request for a refund was not fair or reasonable. They never have any intention of refunding any money with their guarantee - didn't even post our bad review of the contractor. They are total scam artists and should be put out of business.

• Tg
    Tgeorge duplessis Mar 07, 2018

service magic took my phone number off and put their phone number on my business and put it on the internet till i busted them in the act

fraudulent business practices of servicemagic, inc.

I had been contacted by ServiceMagic Inc in my business. They say they will give leads to work for $10.00 per lead. What they did was give leads that were dead ends. One lead was to build a garage. I am a garage door installer, not a garage or any other type of builder. The other leads never even had any answer on the phone.

I wrote and complained about the leads and the billing for these. They continued to bill me, so I wrote and told them why I should not be billed. Now, I got a letter today form CMI, a collection agency for them. They want $52.50 to take off a negative report. The report was wrongfully made to begin with. I suppose many would just pay the $52.50 so that they do not have a negative report. That is what they are counting on. Figure, if you get every customer for $52.50 and do nothing in return for it, you can make a decent living by ripping off other businesses. I would appreciate any ideas on what else can be done regarding this business. I am making a complaint to the Better Business Bureau and Consumer Affairs. Please, if you have a negative experience with them, report them so that they can be stopped! Thank you.

Circlesucks May 06, 2008

• Kr
    Kragen Aug 25, 2008

I work for ServiceMagic.com. Yes we do telesales but it is important that if you are thinking of joining a service like this you are aware of everything that goes on. The pseron aboves first complaint is that he is a garage door guy he does not build garages. This is a homeowners mistake in filling out a service request. Homeowners are not contractors they are homewners and they do not always know what they need done. This is where contractors come in to inform the homeowner. ServiceMagic provides 5 circumstances in which we provide lead replacements. This happens to be one of them. Did the contractor even know this? Did he ask the right questions and become fully informed of how we work. My thought is no. I am not bad mouthing this contractor but lets be real. Contractors are sometimes dumb, impatient, selfish, un-licensed, un-insured, etc. It is so hard to really get someone in the service and fully inform them of how we work. We are the next generation form of advertising and it really is the most cost effective way to find actual customers that lead to jobs/contracts. My retention rate as of 2 years at SM is about 75% or 3 out of 4. The people that ask the right questions and do great work make a lot of money from us and expand their business. Poeple who are contractors and not bussinessman usually do not do well within the service!
    As far as the leads that didn't turn into anything. This does happen and that is why we do a checklist with a 3rd party within SM. It is imprtant that this person ask the contractor questions regarding the funamentals of the service. If the contractor disagrees with anything, the checklist will be rejected and the contractor cannot move forward. We asked him a question that stated these are leads and not guarenteed jobs do you understand? This contractor obviously said yes. Not all jobs are going to close but if i send you 10 leads and you close 1 you should make a profit. after you grow you profile which contractors often neglect you should increase your closing ration making SM more effective in the long run. This contractor obviously only took on a few leads and now is complaining versus understanding what you must do to be successful in the program.
    The person above wrote "Maybe we can get a class action lawsuit going to force Service Magic to stop thier unethical business practices." How do you know this contractor is good at what he does. Maybe he never called the homeowners back right away and other more professional contractors won the job. Then is it servicemagics fault or the contractors? If the job was landed then the contractors!

• Kg
    KG Nov 17, 2008

Just to inform the new readers of this post, the above contractor is currently enrolled into our program and doing great!

jcmann01 Jun 25, 2009

Obviously, whoever answered from Service Magic is uniformed that Service Magic REQUIRES the contractors to be licensed and insured before they can even do business with Service Magic. So when they said:

Contractors are sometimes dumb, impatient, selfish, un-licensed, un-insured, etc. It is so hard to really get someone in the service and fully inform them of how we work. We are the next generation form of advertising..

It makes me wonder whether they even know what they are talking about? The contract was taking leads from Service Magic, so he had to be insured and licensed, daaa?

Personally, I have a business that is advertised on Service Magic
    and I know all the rules of the game. I have gotten several leads that were profitable and several that were dead ends because either the customer did not fill out the forms with correct information or the customer rep did not transcribe it correctly over the phone. In either case, what bothers me is that Service Magic has not given me credit for any of the leads that fit within their "criteria" for giving credit
    and it has been past 7 days. So, yes, this is very unethical in practice.
    They are quick to charge the contractor for the lead, but drag their feet on issuing credits or don't issue them at all. Whats up with that?

Now, to clump us contractors all into one group and call us dumb, insured, impatient, and selfish just turns me off all the more and
    shows how unprofessional this person really is. Does Service Magic know how they are representing this corporation?

• Ka
    karly Wiedman Oct 13, 2009

I would love to take Service Magic to Court. I am the office manager for a construction business and heard all the guidelines and Information that "Steve" from SM gave me.
    However, after we accepted and paid for a lead, the customers number was disconnected and her email address was fake. I called SM for a credit and they said they would check into it. No word back from them and I can't get a hold of Crystal who is managing our account... We have had a total of 18 leads and not a one have panned out. I have called and emailed when a lead is accepted and yet nothing. Most people are just fiddling around on the internet and have no intention of having any type of contracting work done.
    So do I think Service Magic is a rip off??? YES
    O and to the guy who works there and thinks we are all dumb... he is a tech stuck in a cubicle who answers the phone. Im sure you had to have a Masters Degree for that, right?

• Rk
    Rkenneth Dec 11, 2009

Overall, lead generators are a better form of selling than traditional marketing. If you close one deal for every ten leads, you would lose much more money sending mailers, paying for an outsourced salesperson/telemarketer, or hiring a marketing company to accomplish these goals. If you didn't get a refund from print advertisement (newspapers, magazines, mailers) would you complain and form class action suits?! Have to spend money to make money. If you're not happy, change. Pick up the phone and call a few thousand prospects from a purchased list, or create a website to generate traffic, or whatever else you "know" that works. If it's not a referral, good luck waiting for the work to come your way.
    I have been a contractor longer than I wish to realize, and I'm sick and tired of other contractors complaining about everything everyday. If you can't handle the business of owning a construction company, go back to work for one that knows how!

• Wd
    W. Donald Orkoskey Jan 12, 2010

I got both an unsolicited call and email from these folks today. They are both now in my spam folder (got to love Google Voice). Why are they marked as spam? It was unsolicited, the person leaving both messages had the attitude that I wanted to, nay, NEEDED to hear from them, and because what they are offering is as worthless.

The messages belong in the same folder as those emails telling me how much women want their men to produce gallons of more seminal fluids during sex. They both are laughable, presume to be from "experts" who may very well be (but who cares), and they are driven only by a desire to take money from your pocket.

When I googled them this page came up just below their listing.

I've been hounded lately by these types of companies and by SEO companies. Most of them are legit but even those are hiring people at low wages that are just there for a pay check - they don't know what they are doing and don't care about the job.

Why would I trust even the smallest part of my businesses future to these folks? What kind of business person would I be if I can't find any customers on my own?

If you own or work for a company like this why not do something productive with your abilities like sell tangible goods or worthwhile services? There are far too many companies like this in the US and they are just phantoms. They're companies that exist purely to make money off of the work that businesses should be doing themselves or otherwise should not be in business.

• Cr
    critalmass99 Sep 15, 2010

Servicemagic is an unwanted expensive middleman adding no value to the contractor - consumer relationship. Contractors pay stiff fees to join, and for every "lead" provided, whether they get the gig or not. Information about contractors is scanty and inaccurate - many are not there for long, and pass on their bad experience to the end customer.

I was approached to be a contractor in a cold call. The salesperson was aggressive and scripted, I wasn't interested, but kept getting repeat calls. My first question kept getting circumvented, simply: "How much does this cost?" The price structure was ludicrous. For most people on either side, there are direct ways of getting in touch with each other - all much cheaper and more satisfying. SM does not provide more customers to your market, or more contractors... All they do is give contractors willing to PAY a little extra edge in reaching lazy, less informed customers - and these are not necessarily GOOD customers.

The insult on top of this is that I was added to a spam mailing list immediately after declining. 3 or more emails per day - not branded with servicemagic's name, but anonymously offering contractors for a variety of services. They all resolved through a link bidding system to Servicemagic! I was getting additional spam from these same illegal marketers. Servicemagic had no website unsubscribe page, or department to deal with this. I finally contacted a public relations person who said she would stop this flow (they were evading my fairly aggressive spam filter). No luck. She claimed 3rd parties were not following "their rules". Uhhhh hello! So don't pay them!

The pressure of the economy I think has pushed them to more aggressive and unethical behavior to support their huge infrastructure - financed entirely by contractors passing on their fees to customers. Sad. Do whatever you can to make sure this leech business model does not survive!

• To
    toddshizaft May 12, 2011

ServiceMagic is a great company of whom use picky shoppers know this is our best bet to get a quality professional. Going to court for $50 give me a break !!! SM is Legit and above comments are from other companies trying to hate. So WTF ever !!!

• Ar
    ARGFL Jun 21, 2011

If you are a contractor that has had problem with ServiceMagic, I would enjoy speaking with you. Why? I am the owner of an appliance repair company that is having problems with this company of thieves. E-mail [email protected]

SMSupport Jun 22, 2011

Good afternoon ARGFL –

I am sorry that you are frustrated with us and would like to get a chance to discuss what kind of problems you are having with us. You can contact me directly at 303.963.8066 or e-mail me at mblack [at] servicemagic.com.

Thank you and I look forward to speaking with you.

SMSupport Jun 22, 2011

Good afternoon ARGFL –

Thank you and I look forward to speaking with you.

joe Moise Jul 28, 2012

A good way to eliminate alot of the frustration with the interpretation of the services provided in a lead service like this, would be ONLY pay for leads where you actually get the job. Charge a % of the contract agreement which would be fair to the service provider as well as the contractor. It would give the service provider more incentive to actually make sure the homeowners are serious and not wasting the contractors time and money. It's a shame this country is in such a shambles job wise that every body and their brother has to resort to becomming a contractor to try and make a living. It leaves vultures like Service Magic the opportunity to cherry pick bank accounts.

jcmann01 Aug 20, 2012

@ joe Moise

This would make sense in an ideal world, where everyone calls you for work, but when you need leads, but have vultures like Service Magic, hijacking your company name and replacing your number with theirs, even after canceling the service, this can become a challenge! Take them to court?? Hardly!! Service Magic is part of a vast enterprise of internet businesses owned by some mega corporation and enough money to string you along for decades, bleeding your time and money away...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices