Hobby Lobbyreturn policy

I recently started a jewelry making class in college and I needed to buy supplies for my class, so I went to Hobby Lobby. When I was at the register I saw a magazines about bead-making so I purchased two. It wasn't until I got home that I saw that they were each 20.00 and way too advanced for someone like me. So today, (its been less than a week since I bought them) I went back to the store to return them (I had my original reciept too). The employee at the return counter very rudely told me I couldn't return them. So I then called the manager and asked him if I could at least get store credit. He was also extremely rude and wouldn't even listen to my problem. They told me I couldn't return magazines because I could have read them and then returned them. I can understand that, however, I do think that they should be more specific and have signs saying that you cannot return these magazines. Actually they are more like how-to manuals because it actually tells you how to make certain types of jewelry. But when you get to thinking about it, I;m sure that they are many things that people could buy in the store, use it, and then return it back without any problem. My complaint is that the return policy is misleading and does not specify what items can be returned and what can't. I also did not appreciate the employees at the Beckley, West Virginia store to be so rude to me. This has not been my first incident at Hobby Lobby either, I also recently ordered bar stools and before I had a chance to come back and pick them up, someone resold the bar stools I had already paid for. Needless to say, this will be the last time I shop at this store and I will suggest my friends and family do the same.

• Ju
    justanotherjoan Jul 12, 2011

Hobby Lobby will not accept a return on a book because you could go home and copy it. And like mickay pointed out it was a magazine...I don't think any store would take a return on that.

• Mi
    mickay Feb 10, 2010

The magazine racks near the registers are handled by an outside company so technically they aren't "owned" by Hobby Lobby per se. Also, periodicals such as magazines are usually dated and if they don't sell the company removes and replaces them, so you might have been returning an item that was out of date and unsellable (yes I realize that it wasn't that long but it happens sometimes). Don't be afraid to ask when buying things like books and magazines what exactly the return policy is, it doesn't matter if they print it on the back of the receipt unless it specifically refers to the item you're buying. (I once bought an airbed from Walmart, when I found out it leaked and tried to return it the very next day they tried to convince me that the store's policy was that they didn't take them back. Luckily, they decided to concede since they didn't have anything to back it up with, although the fact that I put it on a credit card probably didn't hurt either.) I don't know for certain that the policy still is that they can't take these items back, it could be you're dealing with someone who is hanging on to the old policy that it had something to do with copyright laws. My suggestion here would be to take the matter up with either the district manager or the corporate headquarters customer service people, but if you decide to do that I think I'd emphasize that you spent more than you meant to (which I think is really what happened) and not that the techniques involved are too advanced for you. Your only other option might be to try to sell them off to someone else.