Groupon.comfraudulant credit card charges

M

On Sept. 18th I purchased a 50% off coupon for the Gap($50.00 coupon for $25.00). When I found I had to wait 3-4 days for the email coupon I immediate requested a refund. I was responded to quickly and the charge hit on the 22nd and a credit was posted on the 23rd.

This was all good, but then on the 24th I received a call from Capital one due to unusual charges to this same card. They started on the 22nd and the Groupon charge appeared again, then there was a Pizza Hut charge, 2 Skype charges (15.00 ea), 2 Netflix charges and more. I do not use Skype phone and I am not a Netflix Memmber and have not been to a Pizza hut in 15 years. Then after the card was canceled on the 24th there was another email for Groupon saying they could not process my order due to the card being declined.

Groupon had a severe security breach or they have an untrustworthy employee in charge of confidential information.

• Updated by Lydia Jenkins · Apr 14, 2019

I bought a dmv and emmision service. Groupon charged me and I was charged on top of that by the merchant.

• Updated by ThereseS · Dec 11, 2019

Fix my orders!!

• Pa
    paul boulanger Sep 17, 2010

this company fills my mail box every day, and wont stop

• Re
    redfish1228 Sep 27, 2010

It happened to me as well. I recently purchase a $20 deal for only $10 for Soap.com n 9/17. And on 9/20 received a phone call from Chase due to several unusual charges around $500 to my card that happened on 9/19 and 9/20. Fortunately Chase will takes care of it.
    Groupon buyers must be careful when purchasing deals from Groupon.

• Da
    Dan Britza Dec 03, 2010

I did not renew my subscription. Please credit my AMEX account for $59.00.
    This is an un authorized charge.

• Si
    sip Dec 21, 2010

Yet another groupon casualty!!! The first instance followed the soap.com purchase as above. Someone from NY charged my CC $250+ followed by a $1900 jewelry charge (which was preceeded by a bait charge of a few pennies.) Luckily this is when USbank, my CC company, caught the $1900 charge ahead of time. They sent me a new card. A month after I began using the new card, another fraudulent charge followed yet another groupon charge. This time the fraudulent charge is by a company called Tmark Inc. out of Long Island NY for a small amount (called bait charge) that my CC company caught yet again. Usually large sums would follow these bait charges. It is my feeling that this stuff is being done internally at Groupon. They must have an untrustworthy employee in charge of confidential information. Please stop this Groupon I will not frequent your service until you clean your house.

• Wi
    Wisconsin Member Jan 24, 2011

Just this past week, I bought a Groupon deal. The next day there were four fraudulent charges. My card was suspended. This is the second time this has happened with a Groupon charge. I think I might just need to rethink my Groupon membership.

• Zz
    -Zzyzx Apr 23, 2011

I purchased a Groupon deal on 4.20 and and on 4.22 I received a call from my CC company inquiring about potentially fraudulent charges. My CC info was used at a Target in NY for about $50 initially, then 9 more charges for exactly $150. It's not possible for me to say that my info was leaked through Groupon or somehow expoloited through their phone app, however, I can say that it was the only charge that I made that was out of my normal routine.

hope 97 May 05, 2011

We just found $70 worth of pizza and other stuff in Chicago (where Groupon is) on our credit card. I used Groupon for the first time last month. This is the first time we have had a credit card breach. I assume the incidents are related.

• Ji
    Jillidrizow May 22, 2011

I purchased the Chicago Coldwater Creek coupon and have attempted to use it by following the directions printed on the Groupon, but the Coldwater Creek site keeps telling me that the code is invalid. I want my groupon to work or I want my money back!

Hooled Nov 16, 2011

They sell me a voucher for 185 $ tablet android and the voucher code doesn't work and the store say i need to see with groupon. Groupon Never return my email.

not Groupon lover Dec 07, 2011

On Dec 3/11, I paid for a Groupon deal about 5:30 pm and then cancelled it within 4 hours. A few hours later, on Dec 4, a $1046 charge went through. Then, immediately 2 charges to Apple Store totalling about $1100. On Dec 5, another $1046 to 1-800 Flowers charged again. Total = $3300 approximate. Bank suspended my card and told me when I phoned them. I almost never use credit card online, so I suspect the Groupon purchase caused this to happen right after. Never again.

• Il
    Ilsoyed Dec 13, 2011

The companies that are using Groupon have no idea what they are doing. They sell vouchers and make offers that they can not follow through. I bought a voucher for a local restaurant and when we tried to book a table we were just fobbed off, we either rang at the wrong time and "the person who deals with groupon" was off that day or they only take groupon booking between 10am & 4pm.

• Do
    Dobzek Dec 19, 2011

Horrible customer service. They pride themselves on this but have consistently failed to deliver. I really do not see this business lasting another 3-5 years.

• Ta
    Taneash Jan 09, 2012

I had a dreadful experience with Groupon in England. If you do not receive your product from the partner company, they take no responsibility whatsoever. Hence, they are in a win, win situation, whereby they just blame the partner. Don't buy, you can ruin special occasions, as did I. Printerpix, their partner, sucks.

Nouble Jan 11, 2012

We also got ripped off by groupon. purchased some bedding which never turned up. we contacted trading standards who tried several times to contact groupon but were unsuccessful.

• Om
    Omglave Jan 17, 2012

Complete scam!! I bought 3 deals and 2 of them were complete fake companies which did not exist. DO NOT USE.

• Bi
    Billiare Jan 30, 2012

Groupon has what they say is a deal. Garmin GPS for $144.00. Amazon has the same one for $129.00. So much for the 50% off they say price includes. Always check other sites or call the business directly. It's likely get the same deal maybe a little better.

Alibas Feb 06, 2012

What a nightmare this company is!!! I ordered 2 helicopters through GROUPON...NEVER AGAIN!!! Ordered last year, first one was faulty and I have tried contacting to get a replacement one by phone/email/ and via Groupon, over 60 times, not even a response!!! The second was ordered in December...still not come! Incompetent, Incompetent, Incompetent, Incompetent, Incompetent, Incompetent.

• Fe
    Fecheke Mar 05, 2012

I was scammed. I bought a groupon for some cake pops and when I went to place the order, the lady informed me that I had to pay a $25 delivery charge. ummm, no way am I going to pay $25 for you to delivery cake pops. I asked her if I could pick them up and she said it was impossible because she would be out delivering and the warehouse she was in was not set up for pick ups. I'm never purchasing another groupon again.

• Ko
    Koobera Mar 05, 2012

They are horrible. You cannot trust them. I bought a ticket to see a show and two hours before the show they sent me an email stating that the deal had been canceled. That action was despicable. Never again. I hope they go out of business. The Groupon concept is good as long as they can deliver, but they don't.

• He
    Hemakxe Mar 07, 2012

I paid for two nights accommodations and they are unredeemable because the hotel is filled. Groupon thinks it can satisfy me by offering a refund. That's not enough. They have inconvenienced me, taken my money, and have not provided adequate customer service. I suggest that consumers avoid this company and their site. Remember: you don't always get what you pay for, sometimes far less.

• Ka
    Kalbake Apr 03, 2012

Never responded to e-mails when my voucher wouldn't work (online code for a race). Race director refused to honor it. Waste of $30 and several hours of my life. I will never buy another Groupon again. Buyer beware!

Albake51 Apr 03, 2012

HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE, Brooke W is one of the rudest supervisors. The deals are not that special, the merchants up mark their products/services so it seems you are getting a good deal.

• Na
    Nakene Apr 05, 2012

The business that I purchased an item for would not redeem the Groupon. I have asked Groupon for a refund of my money and have only received robo-messages.

• Sm
    Smalde Apr 06, 2012

OMG, I wish that I did some research on groupon.com before buying stuff from them! They offere a 'great deal' on electric toobrush, and ordered 2 of them, trusting that that was really a good deal. I got the package from some unknown 'bling' brand that claimed a value of $200+ and they were selling it for $69.

Lesson learned. NEVER use Groupon.com EVER again.

• Bo
    Boliete Apr 22, 2012

Purchased & paid 4 deal Feb 2012, nothing received; Groupon refuse refund says I have to go direct to supplier who is not replying to my inquiry. Buyers should BEWARE of Groupon Australia.

• Mi
    Milamine Apr 24, 2012

I have same problem with groupon; paid the money, did not receive my coupon for ' days already. And since I am leaving this city now i willl not be able to use the coupon, so waste of money. DONT BUY ON GROUPON if you need the coupon soon. You will lose your money. Maybe this is how they make eactual profit. I just lost 80 dollars to them.

Samile Apr 25, 2012

I have same problem with groupon ; paid the money, did not receive my coupon for ' days already. And since I am leaving this city now i will not be able to use the coupon, so waste of money. DON'T BUY ON GROUPON if you need the coupon soon. You will lose your money. Maybe this is how they make actual profit. I just lost 80 dollars to them.

• Pi
    Pileme Apr 26, 2012

On the face of it the deals do look good but 99 % are crappy with very poor experience. In fact, on so many occasions they have refunded money to customers for businesses going bust even before the customer could redeem her/ his coupon. Also, watch out for expired coupons, they do not give you credit in the form of even groupon bucks which many other similar sites do, no questions asked. Stay away!!

• Bu
    Buliene May 01, 2012

I ordered some jbuds (earphones) it said they were originally 89dollars which is a total lie!!! they sell them on amazon for 15 dolla and i paid 22dollars on groupon for these horrible earphones!!! they were broken when i plugged them in! I am very pissed off and i plan to return them as soon as possible but i have to wait 24hours for them to get back to me!!! ugh... i do not recommend this site!!

• Th
    The Ogre May 03, 2012

Why would you spend 22 dollars for them when you can get them somewhere for 15 dollars? I dont get it.

• Na
    Naitruve May 06, 2012

I recommend everyone to stay away from goods sold on Groupon, it is impossible to return anything once you purchase it no matter how dissatisfied you may be. This is very poor customer service. But I still think that it is worth buying Groupon for services, but not for goods.

Hobeled May 08, 2012

They sent me invalid coupon that merchant did not accept. I have been on the phone with customer service for over a week now and they are unable to fix the issue. Will go for refund. Hopefully I can get my $200 back.

• Ol
    Olipare May 23, 2012

Had one really poor experience (no delivery on goods, no response fr Groupon, finally received a refund) but decided to try another time. Again, no delivery, cannot reach the office, no response to my emails). That's it, I will unsubscribe to all their annoying, phony email deals!

• Go
    Goomake May 27, 2012

Purchased a so called deal on Groupon. Not sure who is making the money on these but I know it's a ripoff for the consumer. I ended up paying more in the end than I would have without the Groupon "deal". Whether it was Groupon or the merchant that was resonsible, I will never patronize either one again. I should have known better and I certainly will in the future. BUYER BEWARE!!!

• We
    Werhay May 27, 2012

I would forward all of my lovely emails they sent me regarding a purchase. They are very deceptive. Beware. Some are great deals but this is very risky.

• Oc
    Ochekotte May 29, 2012

I have been buying deals on this site for over a year. At first everything was fine. Then, I had a cleaning company refuse to return my calls to set up an appointment on a $70 voucher. This persisted until the deal expired. I DID contact Groupon before the deal expired for help and received none. I received a maddenign letter from Groupon accusing me of not contacting the House Cleaning company before the expiry date. I have the calls on my phone bill. They essentially blew the problem off. Then, they over-sold another deal and the merchant stated that they knew that they were overselling it, and that the merchant should not be liable because Groupon sold more vouchers than they contracted for. So, once again I am out money--now over 100.00. When I googled them, I found tons of complaints regarding the SAME cleaning company and the same deals. I don't think the issue is whether they fit into the definition of a scam or not. The issue is more properly couched as, "Do you get what you pay for? The answer is that 75% of the time you do not. I am basing this on one year's experience and numerous failed calls to customer service. I am writing to the Attorney General and Better Business Bureau in my state. At least if people do their homework they won't be burned.

• Ab
    Abigation May 30, 2012

I am a small businessman and I desperately need more publicity. I thought this site would do it. Turns out they hate small businesses and refuse to do business with small businesses.

I looked at the "deals" offered and they're just worthless. I can get 10% off in most places just by negotiating. The other deals - you have to buy so much it's just not worthwhile.

• Ki
    Kiliper Jun 12, 2012

I must say I will never use Groupon EVER again in my life. I have purchased a curling iron almost 2 weeks ago & they still haven't shipped my order. I am so done with this site. I need to unsubscribe myself because it is a useless site. Pathetic.

Alsokee Jun 13, 2012

Not good. they did not pay me.

Alichey Jun 14, 2012

Refused a refund after the store and groupon were misleading!!!