F.Y.E11 year old son and I being insulted and harassed by cashier/font end manager

A

My 11 year old son and I(male 32 years old)entered the FYE in South Burlington Vermont located in the University Mall sometime between 1130am and 1 pm on 5/29/2017. My son was excited to see a stand of new fidget spinner located at the front of the store just to the right of the register area. My son asked if I could take one out for him so he could try it out (this is approved by the local AC Moore) I had no problem doing so as the package was not sealed in any way and could be repackaged without any damage. I took the spinner out and spun it for my son, as I did this the front end manager I presume ( women with brown hair in her early 40s) came over and rudely stated "can you not see the sign" and pointed to a neon orange handwritten sign on the right side of the display stating to not open the spinner. I said sorry if I had seen the sign I would not have opened the package. As the women returned to the register area my son witnessed her mouth "watch them" to one of the workers, I didn't fully believe him until roughly 20 seconds later a large teenage male fye worker was standing roughly 2 feet to my left with no apparent duties other than to stare at my son and I. I then asked him if the women had told him to watch my son and I, the boy mumbled that he was just standing there waiting to go on his break? I stated that I am a corrections officer and had been for the last 8 years and had no intention of stealing a fidget spinner. He then left my side and went to speak with the women. My son and I looked at a few more spinners (in package) as I heard the women say out loud "well they obviously can't read". I immediately approached her and asked " did you just say my son and I can't read?" She then stated that that wasn't what she said and I stated " that is exactly what you just said". She then stated that I wasn't teaching my son any lessons with the way I was acting. I told my son we were leaving and as I turned to leave she repeated something about me being a poor parent, at this point I stated that was going to turn around and walk away and for her to not say another word to me. I turned with my son and left and as I did she started telling me that I can't tell her when she can speak. All in all my son and I are pretty upset, I understand not opening the packages and did miss the sign on the display as we were both excited to see the new spinners. A simple maybe " I'm sorry but we don't let people open them" would have been sufficient, telling the staff to watch us and then mumbled insults about our ability to read was straight up insulting.