Ford Motor Companyford escape 2016

E Aug 01, 2018

I leased a 2016 Ford Escape in September of 2015 ). I had turned in another Escape prior to this lease. I work in Princeton, NJ and live in Cherry Hill, NJ. My commute is 90 miles round trip. Other than that, I don't drive very much. That commute, however, results in about 25, 000 miles per year on the odometer.

About 27 months into the lease, December of 2017, I came outside to find my car down at the end of my driveway...front wheels on the driveway, back wheels on the street. I was astonished. I thought perhaps the car was being stolen. Then i realized it had snowed and iced up, and I thought perhaps somehow it slid down the driveway. I had no way of knowing what to think. I would never have thought to bring it to the dealer, as in my mind, the car still looked and drove like new.

Two months later, the same thing happened. I was waiting until spring to bring the car to the dealer so I could walk home from there, knowing they no longer provide loaners. In April 2018, I read an article about 550, 000 2016 Ford Escapes being recalled for bushings which when broken, affected the shifting of gears and recognition thereof by the transmission. It occurred to me that perhaps my bushings were in fact broken, and that's why the car slid. In the meantime, I put on full brakes and ordered four tires, thinking that may have been an issue.

I called the dealer, Mike P. at Winner Ford in Cherry Hill, who said that my "VIN wasn't recalled." That made no sense to me, but the dealer's word is the word from Ford itself.

Three weeks ago, I was driving and my accelerator stopped working, my car wouldn't leave 1st gear, and it flat out died in the middle of a busy highway. I was almost killed and was petrified. I was on the exit ramp near my home and under 1/2 mile from Winner Ford, so I got off the highway and rolled it into the dealership. Mike P. checked my VIN and again said it wasn't recalled.

He called me late the next day to tell me there was metal in my transmission and it needed to be replaced. I have never had a car at any age, lose its transmission. This car is two years old, with 70, 000 miles of highway driving, shiny and well-maintained, and is now dead, at Winner Ford.

I called Ford last week on Wednesday who began a case to see what discretionary funds they may decide to use to pay for it. I was told I would hear from the dealer in 48 hours regarding Ford's decision, bringing us to last Friday. No one called. I called them twice, left two messages, and did not hear back. Nothing again on Monday.

I called the dealer again on Tuesday and they said Ford would pay 40% and I would have to pay 60% of a restructured total, which left me with a bill of $2546. I know my warranty is over, but not only can I not afford to pay for a transmission, and not only did my car come close to killing me, hitting kids from the family next door who were sledding on my street, but who builds a car that dies at age 2? This is outrageous. This is why people lease cars...because any respectable car stays together and operational for a minimum of 4-5 years.

This is an embarrassment for Ford, for American built cars, for cheaply made merchandise, for poor treatment at the dealership, for safety concerns, for recall mistakes, for taking lives into your hands instead of recalling these death machines. You should also know that Winner Ford would not RENT me a car for $40/day, a rate HIGHER than all others in the area, while my car awaits its repair, because "they won't rent to me if i'm not the one paying for the repair."

Ford has been disappointing and astonishing.

This life-threatening problem is obviously well-hidden from Ford drivers, and is actually horrifying. How many other cars will die in traffic before you call in the half million cars with faulty transmissions!?

Clearly this transmission was already going when it slid down the driveway in December of 2017 at 27 mos/55k miles, WHEN IT WAS STILL UNDER WARRANTY, but because you don't share the truth with the public, no one knows until it's too late. Who would know what to look for when Ford takes the time to hide the truth from its clients?

EA - Cherry Hill, NJ