Florida Department of Children and Familiesthey admitted made an error and I have to suffer for it

I am so sick of explaining the situation that I will just give the skim details. I was a hard working person since i was a kid and the economy got the best of me and I needed to get food assistance for my daughter and I. I have been receiving assistance for quite some time now unable to find stable work with income enough to live on. I reapplied in Feb. like i was supposed to, got a phone message in march saying i needed to submit information and to call in and verify how my bills get paid-my father pays the rent and utilities until I can get on my feet. I called- no answer- i left a message explaining and gave my number in case they needed anything else. I got a letter saying i was denied in mid march. I immediately called in and asked why they said i needed to submit information i told them about the previous phone call and they said i needed a new letter from my father stating he pays the bills, I said ok whats the address or fax number? The women then said oh wait it says it can be given verbally since we have a copy on file your good to go. I didnt get any more calls or letters so i assumed i was fine. I went to go shopping on the day the assistance was supposed to be deposited and checked the balance to see it was zero. I called in again and they said the girl who told me i didnt need to submit anything was looking at the wrong year of the letter and I had needed to submit it even though they saw the note saying everything was submitted. I said well can I fax it in and they said I had to reapply because it was past 60 days since I last applied. I was obviously upset since that meant i wasnt going to get any assistance for over 30 days and had to go through all the hoops all over again. I asked why my daughter and i were going to have to suffer since i was misinformed and was more then willing to submit anything because the assistance is very important to me and i needed it which is why i responded so quickly every time. She said it was unfortunate but basically too bad. I had waited on hold for over 20 minutes to get attitude-great. Then i asked to speak to a supervisor and she said there wasnt one there-impossible- and that they would get back to me in 72 hours and said she could give me the number to a charity to help with food for the time being! I called the next day again and that girl said the other girl was right and i had to reapply and i said that was ridiculous and it wasnt my fault and it was wrong i was going through all this and she said and i quote "well you can either reapply or not get assistance" i felt so degraded. Its hard enough to have to ask for help to begin with after working 2 sometimes 3 jobs to try to make ends meat just to be treated like trash. Noone cares they treat you like garbage and its not right. I was in absolutely no fault here i did my part i called and responded when asked but they dont care its just oops our bad sucks for you. Its just wrong I am a fair person if i did something on my part to make it lapse or knowingly not submit something i would understand but they are completely wrong and im so upset that im not going to just let it go i will contact someone every single day until something changes its not right i would understand they just think your trash and your ### and its very upset SOMEONE NEEDS TO HELP and when you want to speak to someone who can do something about it you get a voice mail or a 'promise' to return your call when you dont get a call returned what do i do now? who do i call? who is going to care or listen and DO SOMETHING ?

• Na
    Nanette cromartie Sep 19, 2010

I have had the same problems with children and families. My daughter is pregnant and I have been trying to get her Pregnant Woman Medicaid. After two months, I finally contacted the governor; Charlie Crist and told my story. They did contact the agency and I got an email from a worker, but she has not gotten back with me thus far. I did receive a new letter from them denying me benefits once again; they say generic words like; did not receive all information or documents needed or they claim they did not receive my faxes. I did have a phone interview with one worker and she said she would get it all squared away and it never happened. I think they just stamp denied on so many per day without even checking all the information you sent them. I have requested them to call me, and no one has to date. At a time when our middle class American's are having so much financial hardship, you would think someone would give a crap! Nan

• Co
    Cocoa Bay Apr 13, 2010

Girl, All People with POWER can do as they please, there is no one out there to set them on the right track, been there done that with those kind of people. Thrift stores in your area will give your family some food, they go by your zip code and income, some will give money also. GOOD LUCK!!
    Bonnie

check my story out with the City of Cocoa, Florida.
    City of Cocoa - Damage of my Home