Menu
Home Banks First Convenience Bank [FCB] outrageous fees
Author of the complaint
12:05 pm EDT
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have been banking with First Convenience Bank of Killeen, TX now for a few years. The ONLY reason I have chose them as my bank, and have not switched banks is because I became a single mother at age 18 and have acquired enough debt over the years to now have bad credit.
First Convenience Bank is the only bank that I am aware of that will give you a bank account with bad credit. That is why they are always referred to as the Wal-Mart Bank, or the Poor people’s bank.
I am still a single mother and still living hand to mouth. Last year I made roughly about $15, 000. Yet, last year I wound up paying over $4, 000 in bank fees. I have had to have a bank account because jobs I work at tend to not provide live checks and only provide direct deposit.
Over the last 2 years I have given the bank about $10, 000 in bank fees. Because I am stuck in a bad situation. No other bank will take me because of my poor credit, believe me I have tried. And I need a bank account for my direct deposits.
The reason why I have been paying so much in bank fees is the bank holds every single withdrawal/check/debit for 72 hours and reorders them in order from the largest to the smallest. They give you overdraft protection which allows this to happen.
About a year and a half ago my account went $700 in to the negative and I have not been able to catch up ever since then.
Every paycheck I get I go above positive again, but I have to feed my kids and I have to pay my bills, so I am forced to use the overdraft protection, and they reorder everything from largest to smallest in order to collect the most amount of fees possible, and then charge me $2.50 a day every day I am overdrawn, which is most of the month.
I literally give them between $200 and $600 a month in bank fees. I don’t know what to do anymore. I called the customer service center and not only the reps, but also the supervisors are rude, condescending, and insulting. They have extremely poor customer service.
I go to the bank branch and they flat out lie to me about policies and practices. There have been many times when I was sitting down with a bank branch representative and have customer service rep on the phone at the same time and they will tell me two conflicting things. This bank is very evil and incredibly inhumane. They would rather my child starve to death then not collect their $500 a month in bank fees.
The holding and reordering of debits to my account is not only wrong and poor business practices, but it also seems very immoral to me.

More First Convenience Bank [FCB] complaints & reviews

First Convenience Bank [FCB] - overcharged
First Convenience Bank [FCB] - outrageous overdraft fees
First Convenience Bank [FCB] - account balance
First Convenience Bank [FCB] - awful bank
First Convenience Bank [FCB] - overcharged, mis-charged, harassed and ripped off
First Convenience Bank [FCB] - their gliched system double billed me
57 comments
O
Aug 17, 2010 11:45 am EDT

First Convenience Bank is the most terrible bank that has ever come into dallas. They quickly sent me a card, and told me to throw the other one away, which I did. So I have not used my "card" since receiving it, and now II have over 200 dollars in bank fees from fraud, which they told me that they were "deeply sorry about, but since I threw away the wrong card" there was nothing they could do about it. And I don't know who they think is capable of paying over 74 dollars a month in fees, that won't even go towards your balance. I'm a real person with bills to pay, and paying them off all at once means my kids don't eat. this is a corrupt bank, any suggestions?

B
Aug 14, 2010 9:51 pm EDT

We need to do a class action lawsuit and get our money back like what just happened to Wells Fargo in California and the judge ordered the bank to refund fees to customers totalling over 200 million plus! Who's on board?

P
May 05, 2017 6:05 pm EDT

I agree, count me in! The only way to get this and all banking institution, for that matter, to change they way they do business... is to get in "their wallets." Class action suit, I am on board and I am sure there are countless others out there that feel the same way and are willing to take a stand against unfairness. They just closed my account for the reason other than "no activity" for less than three months...this is just the latest of many problems I have had with this bank. They said the program I was under does not exist anymore and I would have to open a new account. I have had the same account for over 10 years with no monthly fees, no minimum balanced or transactions required. I was told that my account was grandfathered and it should have not been closed. However, the only way to bank with them "now", which is unfair, is to open a new account. An account in which, I would have to pay a monthy maintenance fee, make x-number of monthly electronic transactions, and or maintain a high monthly minimum balance. This bank prays on and sets up in areas with high socioeconomically disadvantaged and transient populations. With everything being electronic consumers having little to no choice, but to bank in areas in which they live. All banking institutions following these unethical and unfair business practices, do so just because the can, gouge the pockets of the American people and help to keep the class system alive and thriving in America. We the America people allow banking institutions to to make money off of our hard earned dollars. We allow them to tell us, what we can and can not do with our own money and I say it is time to take a stand. To all Americans, young and old, take all of your money out of the bank, as soon as your direct deposit hits, leave enough in just to keep it open, if you like. Stop using your debit and credit cards and start paying in good old fashion cash...pennies if you have to, or if you must, money orders! Change banks, find one with on fees, minimum transaction or balance requirements. When the American people realize just how much "power" they have by paying in cash and start doing so, only then, will banking institutions world wide start singing a different tune.

People Power
powertoandofthepeople@yahoo.com

B
Jul 31, 2010 2:45 pm EDT

Banks, like any other businesses, are there to make money, it just happens to be that Over Draft Charges are their main money maker. If people knew how to balance their money, things like this would not happen. First convenience Bank offers tons of programs to help fellow community bankers make credit, establish a relatinship with their bank, etc. Its easy to blame someone else for our own mistakes. So let's not judge something, like this bank, for someone' s bad experience that could have been fixed by filling an unauthorized activity form. There are plenty of ways to fix an issue like this, all you have to do is contact someone in a decent amount of time, not a month later.
P.S. I speak from experiance!
yours truly,
A long time 1st Convenience Banker

Jul 23, 2010 6:28 pm EDT

ripoff bank stay clear put money on hold at gas stations for $50 to $75 had 47.00 in bank purchased 7.80 for gas can to mow my lawn over drafted my account will not refund my money when i clearly had funds to cover 7.80 in gas a bunch of crooks beware

Jul 14, 2010 8:05 am EDT

this bank stills money from accounts by overdraft fees

Jun 14, 2010 7:19 pm EDT

first convience bank is the worse bank i had ever open an account in. I never had a problem with any bank everytime i ran out of money I couldn't get nomore i know I should keep up with my account but who does thats why i had choosen not to get checks and yet this happened to me I have no money I had direct deposit and supposely overdraft protection and my account is still negative but nomore direct deposit for people that live off of our check that really put me in a bad spot never again will I bank with any bank all they do is have hidden charges and ugly surprises that are no fun!

I
Jun 06, 2010 10:04 pm EDT

People, every bank has fees and First Convenience Bank DOES NOT take your money because they want to. Every one should manage their money and keep up with all the transactions, payments, purchases and anything else each one fo you do with your Debit Card or checks. If you know you have NO MONEY in the bank, why would you try and swipe your card and see if it "works" and try to buy or pay for anything when you KNOW YOU HAVE NO MONEY! You make yourself negative and you get penalized for that. First Convenience pays larger transactions first because it makes sense that larger purchases are always more important than $1.00 or $2.00 dollar purchases. Use Online-Banking, use a register book, ask for a print out at a location, KEEP UP WITH YOUR MONEY! I don't understand why people think the bank is going to make all the work for them. It's not the bank's fault that merchants don't submit receipts the same day you swipe your card, specially car rentals or hotels, they ALWAYS hold your deposit and it may take up to 14 days to release the funds, and they should awalys let you know before you let them use your card to hold out that money. I've been with First COnvenience for almost 3 years and have NEVER received a fee of any type, I've actually received credits in my account like $9.99 for having direct deposit and I've referred about 10 of my friends to start a bank account and my branch has given me FREE checks and $7 dollars per person. I write down every single transaction on my register book even if it's a soda for $1.50. I only spend between 15 to 30 minutes balancing my checkbook and comparing my transactions with my online transactions and that has always helped me not go negative. I take care of my money and I do not want the bank to get rich off of me, so I do manage my account any way I can. Any time I have to physically go to a location, I ask for a print out and I also compare that to what i have written down. I don't have to keep every single receipt, but I at least write anything every night and that's how I manage MY MONEY. Don't be lazy and use a register book, it really helps. Oh and for that girl, the single mom, the bank offers a Fresh Start Loan that I know you will get approved and will be able to get a loan for the higher amount that you've been negative in the last 45 days and you can get your full payroll checks instead of part of it covering the negative balance and having to overdraft again, and they give you 6 months to pay off the loan, which I think it's a great thing in cases like yours. Don't whine and cry about bank fees, like i said before, ALL THE BANKS HAVE FEES and if you don't keep up with what you spend, YOU ARE GOING TO GET A PENALTY FEE. Just think about it, if you deposit $50 dollars, spend $30 for gas, $15 for lunch, why would you TRY to withdrawal $20 dollars from the ATM when you know you only have $5 left? Believe it or not, that's what most people do. Don't give away your money to the bank.

Mar 03, 2020 5:26 am EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

No you don’t get it. I have had many normal bank accounts over the years and they are all crooks but this one is different. It’s not about keeping track of your funds with this bank. They put a 3 day delay on all transactions then reorder them. So let’s say you deposit $100 today (Monday) hypothetically then you make a purchase for 50 on Tuesday and 49 on Wednesday come Thursday you’ll have an overdraft or nsf fee because they’ll put any purchases before deposits to intentionally f*** you hard. These ppl are all corrupt, rude, predators and I will see them in hell.

Hello,
I am shocked at this bank and all the stories this is horrible! I work for and market MB1
which is Mobile Banking LLC- We are a second chance banking which is FDIC insured and we offer the following:
In Chexsystem ok
Bad credit ok
Mastercard debit card with account
Checking account / w checks
Mobile Banking FREE
Online Banking FREE
Online Bill Pay FREE
Costs nothing to open account
Overdraft protection FREE,
No ATM Fees with us
Direct Deposit FREE
all for only 19.95 a month- we will send you the info kit to get started, we have
started a pilot program and we are not the horror story you read above.
For more information and to get your Second Chance Banking account and kit send to you
email me at Second_chancechecking@yahoo.com
Nicolette- there are options .. !

Dec 11, 2009 8:26 am EST

I agree with all of you. This bank is horrible. I can't believe they are and have been in business for as long as they have. Well if I was stealing all my acct holders money I would be in business too after all these years. Let me just say " I just Quit working there" after I found out what type of bank this was and how they operated The managment at the branch I was at is so bad I have never in all my years working come across such management. Male manager sleeping on the clock in the back room on the weekends because he went out and partied. Smelling like booze and smokes. What kind of employment lets their employees work for a company and do these things " oh thats right First Inconvenience Bank". Blows my mind. Every branch makes up there own rules as to how they get customers. I thought if a customer needs a bank they go to a bank they have researched and get an acct there not get smotherd by employees to open acct. This bank needs to be reported to the FDIC! Good luck to all of you hope your able to cancel your accts otherwise they will be charged off and be reported creditors.

T
Dec 09, 2009 8:19 am EST

I opened a checking account and specified that I wanted no overdraft protection. I was assured that I did not. My concern is based on the fact that I buy a lot of small dollar items (books, cds etc.) on Amazon and between the charges and the Visa holds it is difficult to tract. In the second week post opening an account I was charged over $1, 100 dollars for overdraft fees on total charges of less than $100. We I went in an explained that they represented to me that I had no overdraft protection, I was told that it applied to checks only and not the associated debit card. I was deceived and effectively robbed.

I have written the headquarters in Killeen and not even received the courtesy of a response. My advise to anyone who will listen is to avoid First Convenience Bank at any cost.

Sincerely.

Thomas R. Parker

M

I mistakenly withdrew $400.00 at the ATM machine thinking that my Social Security Direct Deposit was in my account. Social Security deposits funds into my account on the first of each month, however, this past month my funds weren't deposited until the second of the month.

The bank charged my account $104.91. At the same time a check came in for $5.00 and I was charged $34.97. Another check came in for $125.00 and I was again charged $34.97.

I was unaware that the ATM machine allowed withdrawals if there was no money in the account to cover it.

The bank explained that I have overdraft protection. Who is being protected? Certainly not me.
After arguing with the bank supervisor, she agreed to allow me only $88.00 in bank fees.
Wasn't that kind of her?

I don't know who to report this to but I am closing my account ASAP

K
Aug 24, 2009 2:18 pm EDT

This is a ligitimate complaint against 1st Inconvenience bank. They are a second chance bank for anyone who is unable to open a bank account anywhere else. This bank takes advantage of desperate people in need of a checking account and use shady practices to steal their money. I dealt with them for a short period of time, but I was not in need of a "second chance" bank so I closed the account as soon as I realized that they were trying to steal my money. My mother also opened an account with them soon after I did, and left for the same reasons. Unfortunately, my sister was in need of a second chance bank account and opened an account with them. I tried to warn her, but she was in desparate need of a checking account. She is now fighting with them to prove the outrageous overdraft fees she is being charged. She was told that it would take 5 business days to get back to her with an answer. Her account is overdrawn, so there have been no recent transactions. Now here's where it gets ugly; they are charging $2.95 per day for every day the account is overdrawn. These people are crooks!
I worked in the return items department at a bank for 2 years, so I know how it should work. I know that if a cash deposit is made before the books are closed for that day (usually before 2 PM) then that transaction should reflect immediately. This is a very corrupt bank.

F
Jun 11, 2009 8:54 am EDT

Just wanted to let ya know you're not alone. One thing you might consider doing is getting like a visionprepaid card or something and start having your check direct deposited to it instead and although you'll still be charged 2.49 a day for being in the negative with first convenience you can at least maybe avoid the 35 dollar overdraft fees and get the balance paid down. i dont know how long they'll keep the account open without money coming in and it being negative but if you eventually paid it off they'd prolly let you start over with a new account. 2.49 * 30 = 74.70 but Im sure you pay a lot more than that in overdraft fees each month. I had a visionprepaid card for my direct deposits before i got a bank account and one nice thing is they dont let you go in the negative you can only spend what ya have. good luck!

G
May 05, 2009 5:04 pm EDT

If you check with your local banks, most of them do charge a neg balance fee. And that packet they give us all that infor, atiom is in there. We just dont read it in time before something like this happens

D
Jul 10, 2008 5:20 pm EDT

Watch out for banks like this.

OD/NSF fees are the # one money maker for banks. They prey on people like you and hope something happens so they can ding you.

Go to a credit union. They usually have better programs.

If you get a chance, take our survey...

www.odnsf.com

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

65 complaints