FebrezeDamaged vehicle interior

S Review updated:

I purchased the Linen/Fresh Scent Febreeze Liquid Air freshener that is made to clip on to your air vent. I have had it in my car for four days now. Today I noticed it leaked all the way down my dashboard, and completely stripped away the paint. I am irate because it is a product specifically made for the car interior, yet it is not friendly at all with the contact of any car surface. Do not buy!! And do not buy any liquid air freshener. It will easily damage your cars interior when come in contact with.

• Do
    don'tbuyventclips Nov 04, 2012

We purchased the same product and the freshener packet fell out of the cheap plastic clip. The contents leaked on the silver console of our 2012 GMC Acadia, stripped the paint and ate into the plastic. I am very unhappy and have had absolutely no luck in getting a response from PG despite sending them the product, packaging, photographs, and description of the issue. I also told them that it is unbelievalbe that a product designed for use on the interior of a car would be made with ingredients that damage the INTERIOR OF the CAR!!! Let me know if you have any luck in getting them to pay for your damages or if you are able to locate the email for upper management at the company as I've found nothing, but will find them. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT TO ANYONE, unless of course you are looking to damage the interior of your vehicle.

Marahkl Feb 17, 2013

Same thing happened to my Subaru. The freshener dripped down the console and ate the finish and plastic all the way down including the CD player. How toxic is this stuff?? Was there any product testing on or in an actual car? Extremely upset as I keep immaculate interiors and this has definitely ruined the value! I paid $3 for an air freshner that has caused $200 damage and I see it everyday. So unhappy.

• Em
    Emilylauren23 Apr 29, 2013

Same thing happened to my car and it wasn't even in there 10 hours. Completely stripped the dash board of my black interior exposing the white under neath. I am extremely disappointed in the product. Please someone let me know If they have gotten in contact with the company. I should not have to pay for something that has damage my car and was not my fault. This product should not be on the market.

• Be
    Bellamie Apr 29, 2013

I have used several of these and never had a problem. Could it be the way you have installed it? We have them in 3 of our cars and our family uses them as well and not once have we experienced any issues like this.

• Sc
    scottdcarr May 18, 2013

Same exact problem...you would think the liquid is made of acid! I had it in my car for 5 days with no problems...on the sixth day( a very hot day) is when the liquid leaked out.

Mahesh D May 19, 2013

same thing happened to me also the product is auto expressions vent oil, today spilled out and melted my dash board ..I am very much upset, what can we do in this scenario? can we sue the company for the bad products? please help !

Deborahjaneh Aug 01, 2017

@Mahesh D This very thing happened today to my daughter who just had her new car for 5 days. Did you get any results?

• Te
    texastrucker Jun 09, 2013

Same thing happened to me last week. I installed one in each of my cars. One of them leaked and ate the plastic on my dash. I am sending them back the product and all the pictures they are asking for. I won't hold my breath that I will ever hear back from them though. We will see.

• Na
    NancyT520 Sep 30, 2013

This just happened in my car. I am so frustrated, been on hold for 30 minutes with Proctor and Gamble.

• Gw
    Gwinkies Oct 17, 2013

I have used this product this product 5 times in my HHR, without any problems and loved the way it worked on the dog smells. On the 6th time it dripped down my console leaving a path of melted plastic in it's wake. It melted some of the plastic on the air vent flap, fussing it into place. EXTREMELY UPSET!!!

• Ni
    Nina0817 Jun 04, 2014

I experienced the same issue. I have bought this product many times, ever since i purchased my car about two years ago and never had a problem until this one, in my opinion it must be a defective product. I cannot tell for sure but I just e-mailed P& G and they got back to me pretty fast. They are sending me a pre-paid package to include the device along with a questionnaire and photos of the damaged caused on my car. At least they are answering my concern, but Have anyone gotten paid for damages on the car yet?

• Cv
    cvincent0822 Jul 06, 2014

Used vent clip in car and it to ate away at my dash.very upset .would like to know if contacting the company will do anything for me.

• Br
    breanda McGuire Jul 31, 2014

Just happened to me today! Just bought it last night and today my car dash and radio are ruined.

• Hs
    Hsanpmommy Aug 20, 2014

I also am experiencing this problem. I was given the vent clip by Safelite and encouraged to use it. Safelite will take no responsibility for the damage to my dash and AC controls. Febreeze is sending me a claim form, but I am doubtful of any resolution there. The damage is 1800$. I will be consulting a lawyer next

Andyash Nov 04, 2019

@Hsanpmommy Did you ever get any compensation for this? plz let me know, I’m furious about this, they need to send me forms for compensation

• Lw
    LWood25 Sep 13, 2014

Yes same here Febreeze Car Vent Air Freshener and it leaked down the dash of my BMW causing all the vinyl to bubble and melt looks dreadful, and so lucky it didn't damaged the CD player or on board computer I have managed to get hold of the company and have been asked to send photos, estimate and the offending Air Freshener to them it has only been a week so fingers crossed I should here soon. But will not let it rest as there is obviously a problem with this product now having read all the complaints. Definitely do not this product or similar products for you car.

SashaBird Oct 13, 2014

I'm an automotive engineer who works with interior paint. I'm sitting in a meeting with a paint supplier, and we are talking about how impossible it is to develop paint and plastic that resist air fresheners. YES, the automotive industry specifies rigorous testing, and NO, there aren't many paints that pass the air freshener test, and if the paint holds up, the air freshener tends to move through it and attacks the plastic. Part of the problem is rapid, constant change in the chemicals in air fresheners. Because it's a consumer product, there is little stability in formulation, even for the same product. The only way you can protect yourself is to keep air freshener AWAY from all surfaces inside your car! Sorry for the bad news.

• Ge
    George Elias Oct 16, 2018

@SashaBird Can it be repaired? Perhaps some kind of spray paint. My damage has been confined to the finishers around the air vents.

• Le
    Leonard Nunnally Oct 23, 2014

This the first Febreze product that I used. I installed the Linen/Fresh Air clip-on airfreshner as specified in the package directions. After the solution "ran out" I removed the clip-on air freshner from my vent and noticed that some of the air freshner had leaked out the back and "melted" the vents. I loved the product but I'm dissappointed that it caused the damage to my vents.

Maria0747 Dec 24, 2014

The product is garbage...do we have a lawyer? contact me please [email protected]

• Th
    theeditor Jan 02, 2015

It's been really cold in Salt Lake City, so I purchased a Febreze Hawaiian Scent (mind over matter). A few days later I noticed that it was leaking and I immediately threw it out the window. Yesterday I got some "goop off" to remove what I thought was "stickiness" from the leakage, and I noticed that it stripped away some of the dashboard paint on my 2004 Ford Thunderbird. It also might have leaked into my newly replaced radio/CD player. At least some manufacturers are making custom dashboard kits for this classic car so I can cover it cup, but that's $250! Oy vey!

• Tl
    tlm215 Jan 22, 2015

My frebreez air freshener leaked behind my buttons for heat, ac, defrost, and the buttons are all stuck and can't use any of these functions in ny car now! Also, left drills in plastic on dash and paint removed! I threw away the leaky one but am furious because my CD player isn't working either! Who do I contact for help paying to fix this! I'm disabled and live on a fixed income. NO HEAT, AC OT DEFORST AT ALL NOW!! NEEDS TO BE TAKEN OFF THE MARKET!! TM

• Al
    Alicia Robinson Feb 07, 2015

Just wondering why they say they last 30 days when they really only last 1.5-2 weeks.. maybe they can fill them full? Just a thought...

• So
    SoniaE Mar 02, 2015

I bought one to put in my 2014 Ford fusion and it started leaking. The liquid has messed up the dash as well as the face of the radio. This is very upsetting because this is a brand New car that is taken care of and something that is made for the vehicle has made it look as though the car is neglected.

• Kw
    KWard77 Jun 03, 2015

SO PISSED!!! I bought the Frebreeze clip on oil and have had it for about a week. Today I got into my car and noticed it had leaked ALL over my dash. When I went to clean up the spills, the paint on my dash wiped off!
    I JUST PURCHASED MY 2012 CRUZE 6 MONTHS AGO!!!

• Kw
    KWard77 Jun 03, 2015

I WILL BE CONTACTING AN ATTORNEY! THIS IS RIDICULOUS!
    There is absolutely NO WARNING on packaging that states "May eat plastic"
    I just bought my new car 6 months ago!

• Ta
    Tam Tam Wear Nov 24, 2018

@KWard77 It’s there a class action lawsuit about this yet ?

• Sp
    spiritangel76 Jul 06, 2015

My son pointed out this morning on our way to his daycare. :( Single mom 2012 Mits Galant If anyone does know of any legal help. I would greatly appreciate the info. no warning at all!!

• Mi
    Mimi Costa Jul 14, 2015

Bought a Febreeze auto freshner and installed it on Sunday, came out this morning (Tuesday) and it has leaked down onto the bezel trim and ate it down to the surface of the plastic. Not a happy gal, and husband is none too pleased. Removing it from the vent, I got the product on my hands, and I've washed them twice and can still smell it. I will definitely be following up with them. This is ridiculous, a device manufactured with the sole purpose of being used in a car and it causes hundreds of dollars worth of damage. They should have to fix every single car.

• Li
    Lizbeth829 Jul 20, 2015

I have the same problem apparently everybody seems to be going through. The febreze car fragrance got turned upside down and spilled an ran down the stereo and we cleaned it but by the looks of it about 10 hours later the paint was chipped and it ruined the stereo. I don't understand why someone would make something "suitable" for a car that yet works like acid if you spill it in there. They make something worth $5 but if this happens to you then to fix your car its $200 . Really don't like this never buying again! Febreze should do something about this SERIOUSLY.

• Je
    Jennifer Ritter Aug 03, 2015

I also used febreeze air vent clip on freshener with liquid scent and noticed one leaking causing damage by striping paint off plastic. Very upsetting and would not recommend anyone to use that product.

Dedra sanford Aug 04, 2015

I have a linclon aviator and I bought a vent clip and the liquid leaked out and totally stripped the paint off my dashboard I am so ticked what can we do they should have to pay to fix this problem!!!

DenamarieG Sep 02, 2015

I have a two month old Prius and the same problem happened to me. I noticed a black greasy film when adjusting my vent and I noticed it was from the vent clip leaking onto the plastic vent cover. It completely dissolved the outer layer of my vent cover. I'm going to see if I can locate an attorney that would consider a class action. This is ridiculous!

• Ki
    Kiriti Roy Sep 03, 2015

I bought an auto expressions clipon last week from Canadian Tires. Today i found oil leaked onto the dash of my Infiniti M35. The oil is corrosive, it ate through the leather and left permanent mark on the plastic air vent. the oil is so corrosive for the plastics ... I don't know how bad it would be for a person who is breathing it...personally I'd stay away from this product and products alike
    Extremely unhappy with the product.will not recommend this product to anyone. IF THE PROCUCT LEAKS..it will ruin your car's interiors

• Br
    Brenda Ashlock Oct 20, 2015

Same ting happened to me. Big time damage! Has anyone had any luck
    with company compensation?

• Cm
    cmonique Nov 05, 2015

My mom and I each purchased one for our vehicles. We have not had the leaking, however, we both have had major issues with throat and sinus pain after two weeks of having them. It has affected my throat to the point of me having difficulty swallowing and I have a cough. My mom is having the same symptoms.

• Jm
    JM0315 Dec 20, 2015

Had a similar experience with leaking and then damage to my car. I heard there is an attorney in San Francisco named Craig Ramsdell that has helped a lot of consumers in the past and is considering whether to file a class action lawsuit seeking to recover on behalf of those who purchased this defective product.

• La
    Lashelle Jan 02, 2016

I put the Gain scent in my car that is new I've only had my Nisson Rouge two weeks and this leak all down my dash my CD player and backup camera screen are ruined ! I am so upset I was so proud of my new car and I guess I will contact a Attoney. Has anyone got anywhere with Procter and Gamble ? Please help
    [email protected]

• Li
    LisaWill Jan 03, 2016

I used the Vent clip also, it dripped and damaged to dash of my Lexus...no response from company. I believe it's time for a class action suit. My dash is $5000.00 to replace and replace air bags which are attached. For God's sake remove them from the shelves.

• Em
    Emerald Rhea Jan 04, 2016

This happened to me as well.

• Ge
    Genaro Perez Jan 21, 2016

I am so angry, I discovered my vent clip also leaked and damaged my dash --I did a quick search and found this page! Unbelievable! My dash is white and my vehicle is in pristine condition (2 year old Fiat 500) and now I have a terrible coin-sized gash in the middle of my console.

John Moffett Jan 24, 2016

Damaged dash on our RX 350
    Now I know why costco had such a good deal

Jay22 Jan 26, 2016

I had a problem also with a piece of it falling into my heater system of my Lexus which caused it to stop working twice! It was under warranty so they fixed heat but dealer said if it happens again it will cost over $1500 to take piece out.

• Di
    dindy hawj Feb 08, 2016

Same thing happened to my 08 Honda Accord and my 06 dodge charger. I have the pictures to prove it. I am beyond upset. I'm furious and I am wondering if there are any lawsuits going on at the moment. My cars are my babies. I love them to death! I'm a woman that is into cars so I care about my $hit. I'm piss the fluck off. Please if anyone knows of anything please post. Thank you. Obviously this website won't allow people to express their minds so some are my words are mispelled.