FebrezeDamaged vehicle interior

S

I purchased the Linen/Fresh Scent Febreeze Liquid Air freshener that is made to clip on to your air vent. I have had it in my car for four days now. Today I noticed it leaked all the way down my dashboard, and completely stripped away the paint. I am irate because it is a product specifically made for the car interior, yet it is not friendly at all with the contact of any car surface. Do not buy!! And do not buy any liquid air freshener. It will easily damage your cars interior when come in contact with.

• Pa
    paulleeRN Apr 02, 2020

didn't expect that it will damage my dashboard. i have a lexus nx300 and it's less than a year. frustrating!

• Zm
    zmy Nov 06, 2019

The oil inside Febreze CAR vent clip leaked and melt my car print and AC dashboard.
    The print and the dashboard are permanently damaged and cannot be cleaned. I have
    cleaned it a few times and the corrosion damage is permanent.

• Si
    Silvana Gerges Jul 13, 2019

I have the same problem, i’m Really frustrated

Please let me know what did u do

• Be
    becky with the good hair Jun 09, 2019

This happened to me too! I’ve had these four years wit no problem, and this morning I saw my dash bubble up. I’m so frustrated.

• Si
    Silvana Gerges Jul 13, 2019

@becky with the good hair Did you do anything about it ?

• Ok
    ok4dean Nov 01, 2018

You can contact P&G and they will send you a complaint questionnaire, which if completed they will consider, review your claim. The catch is you need to have the Febreze Clip-on AND the original packaging. I spent the time to fill out the questionnaire, take/send (12) pictures, acquire (2) damage estimates (Nissan's quote was over $3, 000) and explained I thought it was unreasonable expectation for a consumer to have the packaging for a $5.00 air freshener for over a week after purchase, PLUS save an air freshener that was leaking on your hand and just damaged the dash board of a new car…The response boils down to thanks for filling out the form, but without the clip-on and packaging we cannot “evaluate the merits of your claim.” In other words by requiring the packaging and clip-on they can skirt the fast majority of claims.

• Ki
    KimberlyReuter Aug 13, 2018

I am so upset this has caused so much damage to my car which was supposed to improve it. Why would they put a solution that would damage the interior of the car plus at flimsy plastic cover. I am a single mom. I can afford an attorney and it devalued my car a lot now. I am so upset I’m hysterically crying. Why would you make this?

• Ki
    KimberlyReuter Aug 13, 2018

I am so upset. This stripped my paint on my dash and I found this site when I was doing research on this item. What do I do now? I can’t afford an attorney. This just devalued my car so much when it was supposed to improve it. It’s got a flimsy plastic cover and why the hell would you put a solution in it that would damage the car????

Christina1977 Aug 07, 2018

Same here! I Purchased the Hawaiian sent febreze vent clip for my 2017 focus that I have owned for less than six months. The clip leaked all over the dash and console and stripped away the finish. I am just sick about it because this is the first brand new car I have ever owned and until now everything was immaculate. I can’t believe a three dollar vent clip has ruined part of my interior. There should be a class action lawsuit against febreze and we should all be reimbursed for the damages that we’ve incurred due to these faulty vent clips. I don’t understand why they are still on the market when the company knows that they can cause this type of damage!!

Christina1977 Aug 07, 2018

Same here. I purchased the Hawaiian scent Febreze vent clip and installed it in my new 2017 Focus that I’ve had for less than 6 months. The clipped leaked all over my dash and console and ate into the plastic, ruining the finish. I’m just sick about it because this is the first brand new car that I’ve ever owned and until now everything was immaculate! I don’t understand why these clips are still being sold when the company knows that they cause damages to the interior of a car!! There should be a class action lawsuit against Febreze and we all should be reimbursed for the damages that these things have caused!

• Ho
    Horace Dover Oct 09, 2017

They Are A Bad Design This One Leaked And Ruined My 2005 Yukon Denali

• Bl
    Blew1949 Sep 14, 2017

I just experienced the same issue with a clip on for my Rogue. It leaked and damaged the area right underneath. Ate away the plastic. Very uhappy and will never buy this product again.

• Kc
    KCme Aug 10, 2017

I too am a victim of a faulty Febreeze Liquid Air Freshener. I've used them off and on for years; but no more! A 3 inch streak of melted goo now runs down from the vent. I see a lot of upset people here, but no way of filing a formal complaint with P&G. I've looked all over their website and cannot see how to submit a damage claim. If I missed it, please share!

• Su
    Susan SB Aug 07, 2017

I had been using these for a long time with no issues until yesterday. I put a new one in my car and when I came out to get in my car a few hours later, I noticed that it smelled really good yet strong. That is when I looked over at the vent clip and discovered that it was almost empty and had dripped on the plastic below the vents. It ruined the plastic and now it will cost me money to replace the parts.

Deborahjaneh Aug 01, 2017

My daughter just bought a new car and has only had it for a week. This very thing happened to her today a leaking car freshener! She is single teacher who worked so hard to buy this card . She took on Tutoring and babysitting n her spare time to have the extra money . I am livid, she is sick of the damage caused by this cheap, faulty, piece of crap! As others have sai, this product was created for a car's interior that is made of plastic! Why do, you create a product that is not conducive to plastic? If she does not get results from P&G we will be contacting an attorney . There are too many incidents where this has occurred. I plan on letting as many people as I know about this! I would like to know if anyone has had compensation for the damages to their vehicles .

Maura Bar Jul 28, 2017

I have just experienced the same damage that all these complaints have experience. I have a 2016 Jeep Cherokee sport that I haven't had for more than eight months. Have used the Febreze air fresheners in my car for several months had no problem. I put a new one in just a couple of days ago. Didn't notice anything until I went to wash my car and was vacuuming the interior and wiping down the dashboard when I looked and saw the paint had peeled off the console near the vent. Knew instantly it had to have been the Febreze air freshener as nothing else would have cause that damage. Had no idea that it would do that kind of damage. I looked on the package and it does have a warning that it could cause damage. Yet why would you have a product that would cause this kind of damage to the interior of a car for a product that specifically made for the interior of a car? I am going to call them on Monday and see what they say about it and if they will offer some kind of compensation. I think if there is enough complaints something has to be done and people's vehicles need to be repaired.

Deborahjaneh Aug 01, 2017

@Maura Bar Did you have any success?

• Da
    daniel southern ill Jul 14, 2017

here are photos of the damage to my dash ( DANIEL, SOUTHERN IL

• Da
    daniel southern il Jul 13, 2017

SAME THING HERE! I HAVE HAD THE AIR FRESHNER IN MY CAR FOR 2 DAYS! I JUST BOUGHT THE CAR AND PUT IT IN, AND LOW AND BEHOLD, IT LEAKED ALL DOWN MY DASH PANEL, AND STRIPPED ALL THE PAINT OFF OF THE DASH! I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED AND UPSET! I WILL BE CALLING P AND G TO COMPLAIN, AND I MIGHT EVEN LOOK INTO A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT OVER THIS ! THIS IS RIDUCULOUS!

• Ga
    Gary Brannon May 08, 2017

We all have to get together and sue!!

• Je
    Jean Paul Doiron Mar 25, 2017

I will be calling consumer affairs. This product should be OFF the market. Myou brand new vehicles vent is stripped of the finish. The Fabreze Freshener Clip drooled down and and along the bottom of the vent. Is there a class action lawsuit at all? Has anyone received reimbursement for this horrible product?

JP Doiron
    [email protected]

• Ga
    Gary Brannon May 08, 2017

@Jean Paul Doiron The same has happened to us all we need to all get together with a lawyer and sue!!!

Deborahjaneh Aug 01, 2017

@Gary Brannon Would be interested in joining in!

• He
    Hellodarkness Jan 23, 2017

I had an air freshener that came alive in my car and killed my family :0

• Tr
    tryeuh Jan 02, 2017

this is the least of the issue, what it does to yor car...what it does to your body is worse.

• Ni
    Niyobi Nov 28, 2016

I AM LIVID!!! All I wanted was a clean fresh smelling car. So at the car wash, I spared no expense for my new VW Beetle. I finally got a beautiful new car and was determined to care for it bumper to bumper with THE BEST CARE available. I chose the Febreeze vent clip because their fragrances are always so pleasant and the clip was easy to use. Well THIS person dripped on the side of my car vent and trim both #@$&*!!! $# are RUINED!!! I'm about to bust out my Samuel Jackson pulp fiction on them for the damage their crap product has caused!!! WTF?! Other Febreeze products don't have this adverse effect in my home or on my clothes, so what the HELL kind of ACID is in that car clip?!!! You manufacturing yutzes owe me for the car's repair!!!

Delete324 Aug 24, 2016

Used the product for less than 6 hours and it managed to leak and completely erode a streak all the way from my vent to the bottom of my dashboard. So much for my interior being spotless. Do not buy this product.

RESOLVED

Issue resolved.

• El
    Eli el Aug 13, 2016

Just had the same thing happen to me!!! So pissed! I used the Fabreeze air freshener and when it was empty, I put it up by my dash board.. 10 min later, whatever product was left in there(it was basically empty) melted my dashboard! What kind of chemicals are they using in this product!? And to think we are breathing this in.. It happened in 10 min!! I am wanting to sue them now because this was not my fault! I am so upset! Just called them and they are closed. Will try Monday!! Never using these products again!

Jason Horner Jul 26, 2016

As far as I am concerned, these auto air freshener companies knowing put out a product...if leaks costs $1000s in damage...they should be held accountable in a court. . I have over 2000 dollars in damage to the interior dash, navigation screen and buttons because it exploded in the heat...and the juice went everywhere. I think a class action lawsuit would be in order.

• Kr
    Kristina H. Jul 25, 2016

I purchased a Scents brand(Kraco product) vent air freshener and also had a leak onto my 2011 Camaro SS dash and face of radio! so upset! sent a written complaint in and have pictures to show, still waiting for a response. Has anyone had luck with Kraco company?

• Ka
    Kayla a Jun 30, 2016

I just bought a Bahamas and co one and my Yukon is destroyed because of it. Hoping I have luck getting them to fix it. I'm so furious! I take a lot of pride in my vehicles:(

Chris Cancel May 16, 2016

Melted my vent as well - anybody have luck with getting compensated?

Sami0212 May 12, 2016

I have just had that problem it's eaten away at the paint work on my car this is disgusting they don't pay for damage I will take it to the papers. Absolutely disgusted

• Ls
    Lstarn Apr 29, 2016

This product damaged my mercedes panel and the numbers on my radio are stuck! The dealership said they see this all the time. Has anyone had any luck contacting Kraco? The cost of replacement is $2, 300. I wish I would have found this posts before I bought it!

• Jn
    Jnespinal Apr 05, 2016

Recenty bought (not two months ago) a brand new scion iA. I decided to purchase a febreze car vent clip to add a nice fragrance to it three days ago. When I arrived today from work I noticed that the vent clip had leaked on to the bottom of the air vent dripping onto the interior. I quickly tried to clean it up before further damage and honestly hoping it would not leave any damage but found it was too late. Extremely upset that this product ruined my new car. Will never buy nor recommend this product again. Worse this is that this company won't fix any of the damage its caused.

• As
    Asif Hussain Shahid Feb 13, 2016

I recently bought a new BMW 320i . The Febreeze liquid leaked & completely ruined the climate control & audio panel plastic. Shocked at the cheapness of the product

• Di
    dindy hawj Feb 08, 2016

Same thing happened to my 08 Honda Accord and my 06 dodge charger. I have the pictures to prove it. I am beyond upset. I'm furious and I am wondering if there are any lawsuits going on at the moment. My cars are my babies. I love them to death! I'm a woman that is into cars so I care about my $hit. I'm piss the fluck off. Please if anyone knows of anything please post. Thank you. Obviously this website won't allow people to express their minds so some are my words are mispelled.

Jay22 Jan 26, 2016

I had a problem also with a piece of it falling into my heater system of my Lexus which caused it to stop working twice! It was under warranty so they fixed heat but dealer said if it happens again it will cost over $1500 to take piece out.

John Moffett Jan 24, 2016

Damaged dash on our RX 350
    Now I know why costco had such a good deal

• Ge
    Genaro Perez Jan 21, 2016

I am so angry, I discovered my vent clip also leaked and damaged my dash --I did a quick search and found this page! Unbelievable! My dash is white and my vehicle is in pristine condition (2 year old Fiat 500) and now I have a terrible coin-sized gash in the middle of my console.

• Em
    Emerald Rhea Jan 04, 2016

This happened to me as well.

• Li
    LisaWill Jan 03, 2016

I used the Vent clip also, it dripped and damaged to dash of my Lexus...no response from company. I believe it's time for a class action suit. My dash is $5000.00 to replace and replace air bags which are attached. For God's sake remove them from the shelves.

• La
    Lashelle Jan 02, 2016

I put the Gain scent in my car that is new I've only had my Nisson Rouge two weeks and this leak all down my dash my CD player and backup camera screen are ruined ! I am so upset I was so proud of my new car and I guess I will contact a Attoney. Has anyone got anywhere with Procter and Gamble ? Please help
    [email protected]

• Jm
    JM0315 Dec 20, 2015

Had a similar experience with leaking and then damage to my car. I heard there is an attorney in San Francisco named Craig Ramsdell that has helped a lot of consumers in the past and is considering whether to file a class action lawsuit seeking to recover on behalf of those who purchased this defective product.