FashionNovainternational shipping: extra unexpected fee

S Oct 15, 2019

10/13/2019 I ordered two items (order #[protected]), paying $45 in total of which $15 for international shipping. When my items arrived in the Netherlands, 10/15/2019, I received an email from DHL saying I had to pay about $45 (€42.75) for import duty/tax. When I called them they explained to me that Fashion Nova hadn't filled in the shipping fee correctly, causing a high tax fee. DHL can't do anything about it, because they are just doing their job and they just act according to the law. However, because of Fashion Nova's sloppiness, I now have to pay basically twice for my order (2x $45), which is absolutely absurd!

I have to pay the extra $45, because otherwise I won't be able to receive my package. Returning my package also isn't an option, because then I still have to pay the extra $45 and some more to return the package to the US. Furthermore, I will receive a coupon instead of money on my bank account, which means I will have to order something again, causing the same problem.

DHL told me more people have had this same problem because of Fashion Nova's sloppiness. It is thus a serious problem, since it's not just me who's having an issue with this.

A desirable resolution for my complaint would be Fashion Nova paying the extra fee of €42.75 (approx. $45), because they are responsible for it. Also, in the future they have to fill in their forms/documents (the shipping costs) correctly, so this won't happen again.

E-mail from DHL Express : IMPORT DUTY/TAX PAYMENT IS REQUIRED

Hello SARI KOELEMAN,

Your DHL Express shipment with waybill number [protected] from FASHION NOVA is arriving in the country. There is import duty/tax due on your shipment. The amount is € 42.75.

We will pay your import duty/tax to the authorities on your behalf to speed regulatory clearance. To avoid any delivery delay, please pay us this amount securely online now. Click here to pay and view the duty/tax calculation.

You may track your shipment here.

Duty/Tax Payment

SHIPMENT INFORMATION
Waybill No. [protected]
Address Marius Bauerstraat 235 C8 AMSTERDAM 1062 AL AMSTERDAM

Thank you for paying online.

DHL Express - Excellence. Simply delivered.

DHL Express | Contact DHL | Privacy Policy

2019 © DHL International GmbH. All rights reserved.

international shipping: extra unexpected fee

RESOLVED

• FashionNova's response · Oct 17, 2019

Regarding the complaint made by the Consumer:

We appreciate the opportunity to address the Consumer's concerns. We are happy to help.

Currently, certain western countries have established laws that require all packages that come into a particular country to be processed and examined by that country’s Customs Department. Once a package is processed through the Customs Department, it may be charged duties and taxes. These charges are not affiliated with Fashion Nova. Fashion Nova has no control over charges applied by the Customs Department nor how long the Customs Department deems necessary to hold and process a package.

In the case of the consumer, her package was charged duties and taxes by her destination country’s Customs Department. Once a package is charged these fees, the Customs Department will reach out through an affiliate company to notify the consumer of these charges. Fashion Nova is not responsible for notifying the consumer of these charges as Fashion Nova does not charge them. We would like to extend an apology to the consumer for this inconvenience.

We are happy to take a closer look into this for the consumer. We ask the consumer to email us at [email protected] with their order details for further assistance.

• Updated by SaKoe · Oct 23, 2019

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, however, it is not an answer on what I wrote.

I still don't know why I had to pay you $15 shippong costs and then another approximately $45 to DHL. And also, why was DHL shipping the only option when I wanted to order? I would have preferred the standard shipping, but that wasn't an option and now I have to pay $90 instead of $45 for the purchase and there's nothing I can do but pay... As a young student who's currently unemployed (but desperately looking for a job) this is a nightmare.

Also, you didn't respond to this particular issue I contacted you about:

"When I called them they explained to me that you, Fashion Nova, hadn't filled in the shipping costs correctly, causing a high tax fee. DHL can't do anything about it, because they are just doing their job and they just act according to the law. However, because of your sloppiness, I now have to pay basically twice for my order (2x $45), which is absolutely absurd! "

Now how can we resolve this? What can I do? I'm frustrated, clueless and I feel betrayed... I hope you can answer me in a useful way this time.

• FashionNova's response · Nov 29, 2019

Regarding the complaint made by the Consumer:

We appreciate the consumer's feedback on this matter. We always strive to be the best in class and provide our Fashion Nova family with great products and the best shopping experience possible. We will forward this information to the appropriate department for review and consideration.

• Ju
    JulieoftheNorth Jan 20, 2021

Fashion Nova charged me taxes and duties at check out but did not forward the amount on to DHL. DHL then charged me for the same taxes and duties before being able to release the package through Customs. If Fashion Nova charged taxes and duties then they should forward it along or NOT charge it in the first place. Are they running a tax/duty scam? Where are they depositing the taxes/duties collected?

• La
    Laveena Kukreja Nov 20, 2020

Will I get the same problem if I have a delivery till India ? Please guide me about it the same .
    I am already paying shipping charges and tax .
    Yet will I have to pay the customs ?
    Please tell me .

• Pa
    Patricia Goncalves Jan 04, 2020

I also got te same problem, but to Germany. My order was 145$ though and it arrived late because fashion nova wrote my adress wrong!Now I have to pay extra 42$?!! I would like to know what will fashion nova do as they are responsible!

• Sh
    Sherryllyn van Dooren Nov 27, 2019

I have the exact same problem with fashion nova. I ordered something online and DHL is delivering this tomorrow but I have to pay a extra $45. My order does not even have that value. I agree with the comment above. If I knew this I would have preferred standard shipping. I am also not going to order again at fashion nova. This is not oke.

• Al
    Alice/ Oct 12, 2020

@Sherryllyn van Dooren was your order above £15 including shipping?