Having problems with Duke Energy?

400 S Tryon
Charlotte, North Carolina

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Duke Energy.

Complaints & Reviews

Progress Energy — additional deposits

My husband and I have been customers with Progress Energy since March 2009. We paid a $380 deposit to have...

Duke Energyrefuse to install a line surge protector

The website has the details of the complaint, which has been filed with the Public Utilities Commission, but in essence:

We decided to purchase a photovoltaic system and feed energy back into the system via GreenPower of NC. From the start their main objects seemed to be to stall, misinform and discourage. It became evident that the people we were dealing with had little idea about photovoltaic or interconnection processes. Either that or they were being intentionally malicious.

The final straw came after line surges (which "Snuffy" Smith, head of ... suggested as the probably cause of the problem) blew up our second inverter within a year. He suggests it is not up to Duke Energy to police their line to keep surges from destroying our equipment, even though we have to provide proof of insurance to make sure we don't damage theirs.

We can't replace $2000 inverters twice a year. Hell, we can't afford to replace the inverter at all.

Progress-energy.comfrustration

We just purchased a home 3 months ago and each month our bill has been around $300.00 for a 1600 sq. ft. home.

I had an all electric home in Ohio never ever did I have a $300.00 bill for one month.

Every time I call them they can't give me any answers, they just tell me how to conserve electric. I had our air unit checked and it is running perfect, we have no lights on in the house during the day, one tv for toddler and at night maybe 2 tv's and one light over kitchen sink, so how in the world can my bill be so high when the kids aren't allowed to turn anything on and we live like we're Amish.

They also suggested doing a breaker test, not sure about anyone else but if your not used to dealing with electricity and your not an electrician then it's kind of risky. I told them if I could afford to pay a $300.00 a month bill, then I could afford to hire an electrician to come out and check it.

I went as far as calling the North Carolina Public Utilities Commision to enlist their help with this problem.

All they can do is have progress energy check the meter which is better than nothing just incase the meter is bad.

Ughhhh. It's just so frustrating.

chand12 Sep 21, 2009

Hi did you get any help from progress energy coz our bill is also very high and we dont know what to do coz our appliances are running fine.

• Wi
        WilliamVL Jan 27, 2010

They told me my meter was fine too, have a $800 bill told me my usage more than tripled from dec14 to jan11 absolute bs...customer service manager refused to give his name or connect me to accounting dept. Now Im told im SOL and have to pay. Did the breaker test and found out that in order to use that much power Id have to run everything in my house 12 hrs per day, does that even sound possible to them?

• On
        one angry daughter Feb 25, 2015

I am so disappointed in Progress Energy...my Dad is legally blind and doesn't change anything in the house (thermostat). His house is less than 1200sqft and his bill is $300.00 for Jan and over $400.00 for Feb. He is on a fixed income and can't afford the electric bill-it is more than his freaking mortgage. I have asked that someone from Progress come out an check to see what is causing his bill to be so high. They told me that they don't come out to check-but they come and check the damn meter. I am a very frustrated daughter. I asked if we could get a payment plan for this bill and they offered the monthly payment plan but your balance has to be zero...Wow! The rep told me to check with Social Services or the Salvation Army...that is a damn shame how our seniors are treated..

Progress Energyscam artist!

ONCE I PAID MY ACCOUNT BALANCE THEY DECIDED TO DISCONNECT SERVICE. I CALLED TO INQUIRE AS TO WHY THE SERVICE WAS DISCONNECTED AFTER THE THEY RECEIVED THE PAYMENT AND WAS ADVISED I THEN NEEDED TO PAY AN ADDITIONAL $188 FOR A DEPOSIT AND $30 RE-CONNECTION FEE! YOU TURN OFF MY LIGHTS AFTER I PAY! WOW!!! AND THEN CHARGE ME MORE $$? CALLED CUSTOMER SERVICE AND THE GIRL "LISA" TOLD ME (WITH A VERY NASTY ATTITUDE "YOUR THE ONE WITH THE LIGHTS TURNED OFF", I REQUESTED A SUPERVISOR AND HE SAID HIS NAME WAS JOHN. WHEN I CALLED BACK WITH MY CONFORMATION NUMBER AFTER PAYING THE ADDITIONAL $188 THERE WAS NO SUPERVISOR THERE BY THE NAME JOHN!

Duke Energycustomer service

I just got off the phone with a representative there and she was probably the nastiest person I have ever spoke with in my life. I guess you just cannot find good customer service anymore b.c she was so rude that I wanted to just punch someone once I got off the phone with her. That is how angry she made me. As a customer I should never have to feel that way. I simply wanted to know what I could do to better the situation that I was in. Thinking maybe they could offer some suggestions or assistance and she acted like I was crap and did not deserve her time. I never raised my voice or disrespected this lady in any way but she made sure that she let me know that my issues were not her concern and that I just needed to shut up and pay. All you really ever want in customer service is for someone to even act like they care or to even sound like you are important enough to them and it just does not happen like that anymore. I did email them to let them know just how GREAT their customer service was...i shall see what happens.

Progress Energy — high bill and excessive fees

STATE OF FLORIDA NEEDS TO IRADICATE PROGRESS ENERGY AND THEIR MONOPOLY OVER THE ENERGY BUSINESS- THEY ARE A...

Duke Energyreconnect services/unauthorized request/false idenity

Ron Hamilton stole my idenity by having a female call in request to restore service to 4708 Peabody where he resided as tenent using my name Juanita and cell number which was easily obtained from my business card of Mary Kay Cosmetics, which he eventually stole upon his eviction September 6, 2006, along with items totalying $13, 000 including my dryer, my antique dollhouse, antiqwue kettle stove, rugs, computer desk, bar stools, shoe racks, brass lamps, home depot home repairsupplies, new dryer, tile, vinyl floooring, spackling, , etc. Duke accepted this call as actual voice verification of me and use of cell number. duke did not verify home phone, nor address for caller id. Duke realized home was not occupied by me-I had services at separate address. Roy a. Green reported me as tenent to Legal Aid and himself as sole owner, while my sister and I shared owndership. Duke did not seek payment of illegally obtained services from either co-owners Roy A. Green or sister Hulda J. Prater, and have switched charges at 4708 Peabody to my residence of 975 Windsor, illegally and improperly. These moneies and penalities of $982.30 plus dollors are owed by Ron Hamilton, evicted tenant, debtor, based on illegal request and idenity theft.

• Mi
              Miss C. Jun 02, 2009

I wish there were more options for gas and electric in our city. Duke has monopolized the field and they know it, therefore they bully consumers. I think their service and customer service is aweful! This is the most insensitive company I've ever dealt with. No compassion or regard for personal issues that may arise. If there is ever another option for me I would Disconnect my services with Duke energy in a heartbeat. I am begging for another energy company to offer more services in the city of Cincinnati.

Duke Energypast utilities charged to another customer

Thomas Worrell, Huff Realty, had charges transferred to my name and account retro to January 2007, prior to my acknowledgement of deed transfer using my name and SSN. Mike Ealy, Model Realty 2170 Gilbert Avenue Cincinnati 45206 was prior owner per settlement statement and so was Donald Berberich, Brookville Kentucky who previously owned this utility account considered under 975 Windsor. The transfer amonted to $1271.91 ofr useageprior to my occupancy of 5/27/08 and installation of new furnaces (previous ones non working) of November 2007. These chargesd are clearly someone else's and not accredited to me, Juanita B. thomas (deed transfer 12/07) Mike Ealy and Thomas Worrel had keys to the premises and Duke entered and levied readings not associated with me or my account. Complainant Juanita B. Thomas.

chica32 May 20, 2010

When I moved to 3142 safer the landlord had the whole building in my name no master meter! he let us rent upstairs we kept it for 1 month went back to just having the bottom floor and a couple moved upstairs...guest what bill was still in my name. went to duke energy they did nothing..suggested i move because the whole thing was shady. my finally bill 1500 dollars.

jadp Apr 14, 2011

Duke energy is [censor], they (entire company) are nothing but thieves! They would bleed a prune dry for the almighty dollar! They are soul less, heart less and uncompassionate. They aren't in business to treat their customers with dignity and respect they are there to serve themselves, to better themselves and to screw the hardworking who get stuck with their services. Hey Duke energy, just remember at the end of your day whos money feeds you and your family! It's the people your taking advantage of, the elderly, babies and ones that are sitting tonight without heat, without lights because of your greediness!!

Progress Energy — terrible customer service

Normally, I do not take the time to complain or share my experiences with companies. In the past, I have felt...

Progress Energy — over charging

progress energy sucks, I have been paying for utilities for 8 years never have my utilities turned off. I...

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices