Dollar Generalmanager and employees smoking in front of entrance of store

B

When my grandson visited the dollar general we have found on numerous occasions where the employees and manager are outside smoking. In fact one time the manager was at the door calling for the other employee to come outside to smoke. We were the only ones in the store at that time. They left the store unattended and no one was there to afford us help if needed. My grandson has asthma and when he is exposed this causes him difficulty in breathing. Pls inform your employees it is not professional to smoke outside by the entrance door while customers are entering your store. It it continues we will have to shop elsewhere.

• Di
    Disgruntled2021 Feb 24, 2021

I went to the DG in Easley SC on hwy 8 and 2 of the employees were doing the exact same thing. One of the employees walk out of the store with a cigarette hanging from her mouth while the other walked over to where their boyfriends were waiting. They were carrying on so loud n cussing u would have thought it was a gang. This is nothing to the unprofessional attitude of all 4 of the employees that were in the store at the time I was in there. No one wore any type of clothing that let u know they were employees, as a matter of fact one of the girls had on a camo hoodie n Jean's while the other wore a day glow yellow shirt with Jean's and the other similar. They were screaming out n back across the store at each other. I had to ask the price on a gallon of milk, when there were 3 shelves full and no price mark on either the gallon or shelve of any of them. The girl informed me of a price then said it's right there and pointed to the shelve above the 3 shelves of gallon jugs to the half gallon. When I told her that was a half gallon she said goodness just look up its n the wrong spot. The one in the Camo sweatshirt got into a very disrespectful conversation with her Mother on her cell phone, on the floor, so loudly I could hear every word she said about her mom for not picking up her kids bc she couldnt bc she was at work then got off the phone told her workmate her n her boyfriend were going somewhere n didnt want to take her kids with them. The other girl in the day glow tshirt was behind the counter fussing about her manager and I'll just say it was not nice at all, very disrespectful and not something anyone wanted to listen to. Both of these girls, YES girls far from Ladies, were the same two that were outside smoking and I'm convinced on may have been a manager but who would have known bc they were wearing no I'd badges or anything. This is not the first time I've been in this store which has been open a total of maybe 6 months and the level of unprofessionalism and disregard for customers feelings as well as health is very alarming. I looked the building over for a # to call corporate but found nothing then found this website which I'm sure no one who has any authority to do anything about it ever checks. Thank u for listening to my rant. What has happened to even mediocre customer service these days?

• Jm
    jmhebe Apr 17, 2018

So evidently the sign on the propane tank case that says "NO SMOKING" only applies to customers!!
    See picture below. This was at the Dollar General store on Piat Rd. in Youngsville, La.

Comments

• !! :-) Jun 27, 2015

I work there as an assistant manager and I dont smoke so I dont get the breaks that the smokers do, I get told by my store manager "Jared and I have been busting ### we are going outside to have a smoke."Then they sit outside for 30 minutes smoking and talking while I am busting my butt working the register and have a long line, you dont fit in at dollar general unless you smoke. Its the Dollar General in Apollo beach fl. Dont go there very unfriendly people I was the most courteous there, everyone else looked like they hate their jobs.

• Ea
    Easy4Me2OwnU Feb 27, 2015

i work at a DG, and its the same where i work also, i dotn get 3 15 minute breaks ontop of my 30 or 60 minute break yet everyone who smokes does, and god for bid im like hey im going to sit down for a few minutes my feet hurt i get threatened to be wrote up for not working hahaha.

• Li
    littlekitten Jun 09, 2013

Totally agree, its not right for the customers or the co workers. Working 5 hours with NO break, while the MOD and other workers get so many smoke breaks while you suffer at the cashier alone.

• Lo
    LoveEmpress Aug 05, 2012

I really am starting to believe that the only way you will be hired by DG is if you smoke at least 2 packs of cigs a day.

• Lo
    LoveEmpress Aug 05, 2012

unfortunately DG cares less if you take your business elsewhere. I hate walking into their filthy smoke clouds. They have one line open everyone else is outside smoking and cursing. Then they dare you to say something about it.