Diversified Collection Servicesunverifiable state tax debt

A

Received a computer-generated debt notice dated July 26, 2012. Name and address had been pasted into the heading block and name on the salutation line. Notice was for an unspecified tax debt to a state I had not lived in since 2005. I have never received any form of notice from the state. Immediately went on line to check on the company. Located this site and others listing numerous complaints. Sent a certified letter/return receipt re request for debt validation and waited 30 days. No response from Diversified Collection Services and/or its agent Justin L. Sent another certified letter/return receipt giving Justin L. an additional 10 days to provide a proper validation of the alleged debt. Again, no response. I contend that the initial letter was a deliberate attempt to intimidate and coerce a payment and/or assumption of a fraudulent debt by means of deception. Am now sending letters of complaint to the FTC, BBB of CA, Attorney General's Office and the licensing division for collections in my state.

I have never had to respond to a debt collector and it does irk having to "get up to speed" on the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

sameangryyankeeinTN Dec 05, 2012

UPDATE: Dec. 5, 2012. After receiving a second letter from DCS which actually stated dates for the alleged tax debt, the VT Dept. of Taxes was contacted. There was a ? tax obligation due to 1099 forms. All I had to do was prove I was not a resident during the period in question. Result was no tax obligation. How DCS computed a tax bill of $4, 990.06 remains one of life's mysteries. The beauty of the DCS business is that if I had opted to work with them (pay them $4, 990.06 or more) I would still have had to work with the VT Dept. of Taxes.