Menu
Diversified Collection Services
reviews & complaints

Diversified Collection Services
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

31 complaints
21 resolved 10 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Diversified Collection Services. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
A
11:26 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Received a computer-generated debt notice dated July 26, 2012. Name and address had been pasted into the heading block and name on the salutation line. Notice was for an unspecified tax debt to a state I had not lived in since 2005. I have never received any form of notice from the state. Immediately went on line to check on the company. Located this site...

4:02 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I received a letter from DCS dated on 02-02-12 but wasn't post marked until the 8th. The letter stated they were responsible for collecting the debt owed from a student loan. In the body of the letter they stated "We will hold your account to give you the opportunity to settle this obligation voluntarily." On the back of the letter it states I have 30 day...

C
9:54 pm EST

Diversified Collection Services - misleading, untruthful

This company began calling my home in Oct-2011. The asserted that they had been contracted by the US Government to collect on a past due student loan, in the EXACT amount of 7000.00, from loan originator ITT. I was already in a debt consolidation/repayment program with a different company. I called them up. Yes my financials are in good standing, yes my payments were being made on time. NO, there is nowhere listed in my Fed SL account an amount listed for 7000.00. She then gave me the web address for the US FED SL site. Anyone can go there & check out their status. So I did. Yes, I do have debt listed there. But there is NO debt for the exact amount of 7000.00. Loans originating at ITT are marked PAID IN FULL. I also pulled up my credit report. There is no outstanding credit listing from ITT. This original debt is over 20 years old. There is also no unidentified debt/debtor requesting the 7000.00 amount. I relayed this information to DCS the next time they called. The rep on the phone tried to badger me in to revealing my SS#, DOB, & banking information over the phone. Since I can see from my credit report that they have already investigated me, they 'have' all this information. I have asked repeatedly for them to mail me a letter stating who the loan originator is, that companies contact info and the amount due. They just keep badgering me for money. And they have done two 'hard inquiries' to my credit report within the past 6 months. Hard Inquiries damage your credit rating.
1) I am IN a repayment program for a student loan originating in 2008
2) All prior Student Loans from the late 1980's have been PAID IN FULL
3) My credit report does NOT list ITT as a defaulted loan
4) My credit report does NOT have an 'unknown' charge of 7000.00 awaiting payment/in default
5) My US Fed Gov student loan debt record does NOT have either the loan originator 'ITT' or this specified amount 7000.00 listed as one of my debts
I do not believe that this company has valid information or the right to collect any monies from me. How do I make them provide information validating this debt? Or make them stop entirely?

1 comment

What they are doing is illegal and you need to contact an attorney and sue them. Call [protected] and tell them what is going on. Also start recording your phone calls, because they will lie and say they did nothing wrong. Also note days, times and person that has called.

12:55 am EST

Diversified Collection Services - illegal harassment

I have been repeatedly contacted by representatives of DCS regarding a supposed debt that they are trying to collect from me. My wife and I filed for chapter 7 bankruptcy two years ago, due to the downturn in the construction industry. My business had a $20, 000 credit line of which we owed 19, 000 to the bank. The bankruptcy caused that debt to dissappear. But the amount owed the bank was underwritten by the SBA, so the bank filed a claim to be reimbursed for their loss. So now the SBA (via the Treaury Dept) has decided to pursue me for the full amount. The Treasury Dept farmed out this "debt" to DCS. The DCS contacts me and tells me that my personal chapter 7 does not cover the business loan (which is not true; I have spoken with several different attorneys regarding this). I respond to the DCS reps by telling them I dispute the validity of their claim; that my original debt was wiped clean with the bankruptcy. Their typical reply is that I, in fact, do owe the money and that "they always get the results they are after, in the end, and that I had better cooperate with them" . I also believe they are spoofing caller ID's because they tried using a local number that belongs to a large attorney firm in my area. I contacted the firm and asked who had contacted me about this supposed "debt" and was told that no one from their office had spoken with me.
All in all, these people are liars and will stop at almost nothing to get you to give them money.

Apr 25, 2012 6:49 am EDT

I had been out for a little while and when I got home I found a hand-written note on a piece of note paper shoved into my door. It had the [protected] number with ext. 3661, Lilliana, written on it to call because it was important. No company name on it just a phone # and extension. I called this number thinking it may have been a neighbor or Jahovas witness peddling something. This "Lilliana" who I spoke with is in Livermore, CA & I live in FL, she was very insistent on me giving her my social # or an account #. I didn't give my name but how does someone in CA deliver a unproffesional note to someone in FL? I don't believe this is even a legitimate company. Since when do collection agencies go door to door writing notes on scrap paper? Something sounds fishy about this "collection agency". Anyone else experience this from this "company"?

K
11:53 pm EST

Diversified Collection Services - garnishment of wages

This company refuses to answer my phone calls regarding my account. They have garnished my pay for 5 years waited 25 years on a loan of 5000.00/ Will not provide account balance as requested, now I am homeless, , no car, need to know where to file in court They have been paid 10 times over the amount and I need HELP{

R
4:24 pm EDT

Diversified Collection Services - very shady

I will admit to having deliquency loans with Sallie Mae. I started dealing with a company this month called Allied Collection Service but have been in contact with them since January for a easy way to pay my loan off, yes I have some complaints on them but my biggest confusion is with DCS. I got my first call (EVER) from them on Tuesday but when I answered the phone I didnt have reception and I asked to please call me back because I couldnt hear her. Never got a call back after so I decided Id call back (yesterday) and see what it was regarding. The girl I spoke to told me she didnt call me back cause I hung up on her and I clarified to her that was not the case. After she got over that she stated they were trying to collect a debt for a school I never even heard of. I asked her to double check that as I never went there and she placed me on hold like 3 times trying to figure out what school it was and where the loan came from. I assumed right away it was for Sallie Mae but she didnt know that and even after placing me on hold she didnt see Sallie Mae anywhere. She advised I had a deadline to make a payment of $55 by 06/21/11 if not my account will be placed to garnish 15% of anything. I advised to please try to understand me, that I had already started paying another company for the same loan. She gave me the loan locator number [protected]) to see where all the loans have gone but that I needed to make the payment before that date. I dont understand how I can several Sallie Mae loans open for a month's worth of school and supposidly a loan of over $5000. How can I make a payment without having anything in writing from them or such short notice? Is this normal?

3 comments

Nov 01, 2011 12:57 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

SALLIE MAE IS THE WORST. My advice is speak to a pro-bono attorney and make up your own written declaration.

Sallie Mae, being the worst of the worst loan agencies (which I did not know at the time) will do literally any trick in the book to receive its loans promptly. A certain letter of declaration, or a cease and desist letter will actually get Sallie Mae off your back so they don't call back.

You can then settle the arrangement with a cash-in clause that obligates them to never contact you again - and get this...they won't be able to respond! It has to be signed by your lawyer, however. I highly advise consulting a nice lawyer.

F

No absolutely NOT...This is not normal. She is trying to get you to make a payment so that the clock can start to tick on your previous balance. This company is known for their SHISTY SHADY PRACTICES. SOMEONE SHOULD HAVE THEM CLOSED DOWN. They are thieves and you shouldn't believe a word that they are saying. You should definitely not send them any money. Moreover, take a look on the Internet at all of the complaints that have been filed against them. THEY DEFINITELY SHOULD NOT BE TRUSTED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!

Diversified Collection Services - attorneys not licensed to practice

Dcs and any and all other attorneys only have licenses to practice law in the supreme court and appellate courts of their licensing states, they cannot practice law in any city, county, district, or federal court. Ask any attorney for their license to practice law, venue and jurisdiction. They will not respond to those questions — they can't without exposing the fraud. Spread the word!

T
9:37 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Great Lakes Higher Education Guaranty Corporation Wells Fargo EFS Account No: [protected] I, Toy Laster, do attest that i work for a 501(c)(3) organization that is tax exempt and i have been employed with the charity since 2002. I am a certified teacher. I got the loans to become a licensed teacher but I was unable to secure a teaching position in middle...

F
4:17 pm EDT

Diversified Collection Services - diversified collection services are an abusive scam company

Diversified collection services are an abusive scam company. They contacted me about an overdue student loan. Jen Decker told me my paycheck would be garnished this week unless I joined a repayment option/opportunity. I wanted to pay the loan more than I wanted my check garnished so I gave them allot of personal contact information.

At the end of the call I was told they needed a $400 “deposit” to gain acceptance. The company that they say they got my loan from isn’t correct and doesn’t appear on google anywhere. When I asked for them to put the agreement in writing and I would sign and return it with a check they said they wouldn’t mail a letter (even after stating they have made several attempts to mail me one, lie) and needed my checking account.

This loan has been in default for years. My address and phone have not changed for 10 years. They said they got the loan a year ago but couldn’t contact me. When I spoke with the manager Hailey Perry she told me she would not give me the contact information of the company. They got the loan from and urged me to give her my checking account to be approved tonight or have my check garnished tomorrow.

I told her I would contact the attorney general and the loan originator and get back to her. She was not happy, was harassing and abusive over the phone demanding my credit card or checking acct. This is a nasty unethical business at best and should be avoided by all business and personal interests.

J

In early 2005, I bought a home inspection franchise from a company based in Vermont. I did no business in Vermont at any time. In January 2007, I settled my debt with the company owner and got out of the business. The last home inspection I ever did was November 2006.
Fast forward to the present. Beginning about two weeks ago, I began receiving messages on my home phone voice mail asking me to return their call to company called DCS, regarding the home inspection company. A couple of days back, my wife answered a call from them in which they stated that they were DCS, Diversified Collections Service, and they told her that they were calling on behalf of their client, the "Vermont Department of Taxation" (there is no such thing, it is Department of TAXES) for taxes I owed for 2007. Yesterday, I received a letter from the good folks at DCS stating my "delinquent debt" has been referred to them. $1491.36!
First of all, I had NEVER been informed at any time by either the Vermont Department of Taxation nor the Vermont Department of Taxes that I ever owed them anything! Now this debt I never knew I had, nor do I think I have now, is at a collection agency. I'm afraid my credit is going to be messed up over this.
I do suspect what may be going on, correct me if I'm off base here.
I suspect that the company owner has gone out of business, likely owing mountains of taxes to the state of Vermont. Could it be that he is somehow trying to pass off some of this debt onto us former franchise owners? Just a thought.

12:50 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I had a collector from this agency who handles my case, whose name is Kody Myers. I have to say that he is the rudest and the most disrespectful person I have ever dealt with. I know that I owe a debt and that I had to pay which I was willing and actually made a payment agreement with the agency. He wasn't very helpful and just kept repeating that they are...

8:28 pm EST

Diversified Collection Services - non-existent virginia tax debt

The first I heard from this outfit, they called my elderly mother late in the evening and just about scared her to death, by telling her that it was an emergency and they needed to get ahold of me immediately. She gave them my phone number, which isn't unlisted by the way, I have know idea how or why they would call her, I haven't lived at home in over 20 years. As soon as she hung up, she called me and told me someone named Trina was looking for me and it was an emergency. Well sure enough, about 15 minutes later "Trina" called me. After I realized it was nothing but a two-bit collection agency I chewed her up one side and down the other for scaring my mother, I finally determined she was attempting to collect a tax debt for the state of Virginia to the tune of about $2, 000. I was unaware of any tax debt as I always pay my taxes religously and thought the whole thing was a scam. So, I basically told Trina to go to [protected]@ll and I was going to speak to the state of Virginia, she tried to convince me that I wasn't permitted to speak to the state because DCS was handling the account. "Yeah Riigght.." The next morning I called Virginia and was lucky enough to actually talk to a reasonable human being. They did confirm that they were showing an outstanding amount from 2005, but we quickly determined the issue was due to the fact that I had paid that amount to another state I was a part-time resident of that year, they had never received that information from the IRS and had taxed me on it in Virginia, a couple faxes later the mistake was corrected and I figured that was that. Well about a week later, my good "friend" Trina calls back, this time threatening to get a judgement against me to garnish my wages and levy my bank accounts, I politely told her the situation had been resolved through the state of Virginia. She claimed it didn't matter because DCS now "owned" the account. Well I told her to go right ahead and sue me then and hung up. Then next day I had Virginia fax me a letter saying no debt existed with them, and I sent DCS a FDCPA cease-communication letter, (a good one be found athttp://www.budhibbs.com/ceaseletter.htm), ordering them not to contact me anymore. Now I'm patiently waiting for them to sue me so I can make them look like idiots. Somehow I doubt it will happen though, they can sure run their mouths over the phone though.

M
Mar 31, 2011 4:13 pm EDT

this is happening to us now, waiting for a supervisor to call me, but this is for 2003, if i read right any thing after 8 yrs. with irs is u know longer owe them. is this true? i need to keep diging for more infor.. p.s. they to called my parents, not 1 but 2 times & that's when i called & blessed her out. so i hope it's a good day for us & see if the supervisors calls.

A
6:10 pm EDT

Diversified Collection Services - invalid collections

I have been making diligent payments on my student loans for over a year. I authorized the Iowa College Aid Commission to debit my payments automatically from my bank account. Recently the State of Iowa turned over all of their loans to Diversified Collections due to government employee cutbacks. I notified the Iowa College Aid Commission that I didn't wish for my account to be transferred to Diversified Collections (especially considering I was making my regular payments without issue). I was informed that my payments could continue to be made to them in the usual fashion. A month later, I again started receiving calls from Diversified Collections. Their story this month was that I pay Iowa and Iowa pays them. They're calling this month because Iowa hasn't sent the money to them yet. I informed them that this is not my problem, that my payment has been taken from my account and they need to stop calling me. They informed me that they will not stop calling until the payment is received by them. I told the gentlemen I spoke to (Todd Green) that I would file a complaint with the FTC and/or FCC. He CHUCKLED at me and told me that the FCC wouldn't do anything about this issue. I intend to call my Congressman's office tomorrow. This is a fraudulent collection as payment has already been made. Also, every time they call they ask me to verify personal information that I did not authorize them to have in the first place.

7:54 am EDT

Diversified Collection Services - abusive practices & violation of the law

This company is calling neighbors on my block. This is in clear violation of the law. I had a neighbor, who I do not know, come to my house with a name and number of a person to call. Come to find out, it is a scavenger bill collector named Aaron Marks from Diversified Collection Services. I call this guy, and he asks me for my social security number, which I refuse to give him.
I called the FTC and they told me that this collector, and this company is in violation of the Fair Debt Collections Act. She said they will be hit with a huge fine. How can we stop companies like this from calling our neighbors?

Update by JREwing4
Apr 01, 2010 7:29 pm EDT

Correction: His name is Aaron Marks. He is now calling my work, as well as calling neighbors.
These lowlife ### will stop at nothing.

O
Jul 10, 2010 7:25 pm EDT

They have the legal right to call one neighbor per day. It's the law.

R
1:46 pm EDT

Diversified Collection Services - telephone harrassment

After 4 years of paying off my student loans thru court d/t permanent disability, I am now being harrassed by this collection agency again. It seems my old bill went from one state to the other, and now the new collection department has different people calling me up on my husband's telephone demanding payments. They state they don't accept the discharges from the Los Angeles Courts, nor my previous physicians paperwork.

The state I took out the loan from, has agreed to discharge the unpaid portion of my loan d/t medical conditions. Yet the DCS agency is going to take all of my pay checks (which I don't have any), all of my vehicles, garnish my wages (don't have those either), and take my home from me.

Ms. Hawkins was last person to speak with me today from DCS from the telephone number listed above which belongs to Hal Leach, Jr., President of DCS out of Grants Pass, OR.

Jan 26, 2011 5:14 pm EST

Diversified Collection should be investigated by a higher authority. I received a calls from them almost every day. I have previously asked them paperwork on the debt that they claimed I owe. It is been more than six months.

May 18, 2010 11:11 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

a kathy call my home very rude and why talking to her rude self she hang up the phone on me twice how rude can that be

C
5:58 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My name is Colleen F. I am having a very hard time with DCS due to the fact that my school loan account was turned over to them. About 18 months ago, I became homeless with my family (3 daughters, son, and 2 wk old granddaughter). I was living shelter to shelter, and had no means of a steady address, and no money for a P.O. box. In October 2009, I...

T
9:53 am EDT

Diversified Collection Services - phone calls at work

I have been receiving harrasing phone calls at my job from a woman named Lisa at this company. I had a car accident over a year ago at no fault of my own and thought that these medical bills were paid by the other party. I explained this situation to her and advised that i needed to find the information and contact that insurance company to get things settled. She called back 3 days later and asked for my boss and threatened to sue me and garnish my wages. Since this accident i have received no bills or letters or phone calls stating that these bills were past due. This company needs to be looked into, because this can not be legal.

1:51 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I received a letter from this company stating that I owed a delinquent debt from the State of Louisiana Department of revenue. The letter looked official enough so I call them and spoke with Alyssa @ ext 3710. I must admin that it did cross my mind that I could have messed up something on my taxes but then she explained that it was for Tax year 1999. Thi...

V
1:28 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Jassica Valim Calls me Tuesday and tells me I have to pay $3200.00 on Wednesday to avoid ruining my credit and avoiding liens on my property just like many others that complained about this same woman she is rude and unprofessional. I tried explaining it was near impossible to spring up with that kind of money in one day, but now after reading other...

D
4:27 pm EST

Diversified Collection Services - loan collection

DIVERSIFIED COLLECTION SERVICES IS AN ABUSIVE SCAM COMPANY. They contacted me about an overdue student loan. Jen Decker told me my paycheck would be garnished this week unless I joined a repayment option/opportunity. I wanted to pay the loan more than I wanted my check garnished so I gave them allot of personal contact information. At the end of the call I was told they needed a $400 "deposit" to gain acceptance. The company that they say they got my loan from isn't correct and doesn't appear on google anywhere. When I asked for them to put the agreement in writing and I would sign and return it with a check they said they wouldn't mail a letter (even after stating they have made several attempts to mail me one, lie) and needed my checking account #. This loan has been in default for years. My address and phone # have not changed for 10 years. They said they got the loan a year ago but couldn't contact me. When I spoke with the manager HAILEY PERRY she told me she would not give me the contact information of the co. they got the loan from and urged me to give her my checking account # to be approved tonight or have my check garnished tomorrow. I told her I would contact the attorney general and the loan originator and get back to her. She was not happy, was harassing and abusive over the phone demanding my credit card or checking acct. # This is a nasty unethical business at best and should be avoided by all business and personal interests. Their phone # is [protected]

12:58 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

While attempting to make payment arrangements on 10/16/2009 Amy Sparks informed me that my initial payment of $300 had been approved by her "managers". After securing permission from a family member to use their account for the bank draft I called Ms. Sparks back on 10/17/2009. At this time she was more than willing to set up a bank draft for $425. After an...

Diversified Collection Services contacts