Dish Networkreturn policy

N

I cancelled my Dish Network service today. As expected, they'll require the return of my leased equipment. Much to my surprise there would be a $15 fee assessed for each return label I had to use. I was told that this was clearly stated in the terms and conditions I signed for my service.
However, Dish Network's RCA Page 7, Item 5, Part B: states you must "contact our customer service... to schedule the return of your leased Equipment...". It says nothing about the customer being repsonsible for return shipping charges. Nor does it say anything about Dish Network paying the return fees.
Obviously there is nothing criminal about this policy. What it does is provide Dish Network with the leverage they need to bully clients into keeping their services. If you wish to refuse to return your leased equipment, Dish Network will simply place an over-inflated replacement fee onto your credit card they keep on file. It should be noted that your credit card information is kept on file even after you request it to be deleted. The public needs to know what of company Dish Network is. Buyer beware and remove your support by cancelling your own services.

• Updated by [email protected] Network · May 11, 2011

nibs84, I'm sorry for any frustration caused by those equipment return fees.

Generally there are fees for returning leased equipment as outlined per either the RCA or the contract signed. I can definitely look up more information on your account and see what's going on with those charges. If you'd like further assistance with this you can reach me at [email protected]

Tommy Faust
    DISH Network Executive Offices

• Updated by MikeL DISH · Jul 27, 2011

How are you doing, jpatt624? Your post caught my eye as I thought it was an interesting concern! Not everyone uses our boxes with shipping labels to return the equipment back to us, so we don't feel that it's fair to raise all of our customers' monthly rates to cover the cost of shipping. You are by no means required to use our boxes with shipping labels to ship it back, but we provide those to you as an available option should you decide to use them.

Hope that helps!

• Jp
    jpatt624 Jul 06, 2011

I just recently canceled my service after having it for 9yrs, and I only canceled it due to me leaving the country for deployment. I got charged $24.04, and three weeks later got hit with a $30 return fee for shipping, not once while canceling it was I ever told that I would be charged for return shipping. I find this to be very shady business practice. Dish either needs to better train there employees, or revamp there policy to state that there is a return charge for equipment, and to contact customer service. I had plans to start the service once back but I can say that theyhave lost me. I will go to Direct tv!

• Da
    david radnot May 12, 2011

If they won't take your money, then leave and not pay them. Thats what I would do.