Discover Card — illegal, unethical, dishonest business
I want to start out by saying no matter what your personal opinion, Discover Financial Services is essentially a white collar terrorist organization, and they are committing acts of financial terrorism against millions of decent, responsible, hardworking, respectful, reasonable American citizens everyday in broad daylight. These are much more than acts of financial terrorism though as they force people to lose their homes, to go without food, to not provide for their children, to postpone basic and/or urgent medical care, because Discover Financial Services has devised a system (And it is not very complicated to do what they do, and see how they do it) whereby they saddle a consumer with a debt that they cannot pay off.
Some people will read this and respond as a minority of people have responded to my many other post all over the Internet and say stuff like: "You should be more responsible", "You shouldn't have gotten the card", "You borrowed the money, just pay your bill". I do not know if these people are just being contrary, playing devils advocate or actually work for financial institutions and are out there representing the other side. To people who say I should be responsible, I have paid every other bill I have ever had, in life, in full and on time, with NO ISSUES - So why not Discover? I have always paid my rent, my car insurance, my car payment, my utilities, my phone bill, my Internet bill, and all other bills on time and in full, why not Discover, curious isn't it?
The answer is that I actually have paid my Discover Card bill. I have a credit limit of approximately $5, 000 dollars, granted, I have borrowed this money from Discover over the 10 years I have held the card, but I have also paid the amount back in full at least 6 times (Yes, $30, 000 FOR AN INITIAL $5, 000 LOAN, and their not done yet), but that is not good enough for Discover Card - you see with Discover you don't simply borrow money and pay it back at a reasonable rate, this companies gets its claws in you and will not let go, until you have paid at least $50, 000 for a $5, 000 loan. They'll get you with late fees, they'll raise your interest rate, and they'll get you with late fees by **Moving your payment due date around (Without notification), and then adjusting your minimum payment due (Without notification).
To the people who say, "You shouldn't have got the card", that would be like telling the 99% of Americans in debt to financial institutions, "You shouldn't have got a college loan, it's your fault", or "You shouldn't have got sick and got that medical debt" or "You shouldn't have got upside down in your mortgage", but No One got into debt on their own, or by playing by reasonable rules. The 99% of Americans who have been victimized by financial institutions have been just that, victimized, terrorized, lied to, cheated, robbed, swindled. A crime, many crimes have been committed, in broad day light but nothing is done because it is white collar crime, and many, if not all of these companies have bought political protection, like people used to buy protection from the mafia. No I got a Discover Card with an initial contract at a low interest rate, and like many consumers, Discover Card found a way to more than double my interest rate once I charged money on the card.
I was one of the unfortunate, innocent, naive people who was solicited by Discover Card as a college student. This practice (Of soliciting to college students) was recently banned, unfortunately I cannot be grandfathered into the ban. I was a college student, it was over 10 years ago, and like many college students I needed a little help making ends meet, I did not (AS SOME COLDHEARTED PEOPLE OUT THERE LIKE TO SAY ) splurge on frivolous items, like a big screen TV, or a game system, or a ping-pong table. I, like many Americans saddled with credit card debt, used my card to simply buy food, to eat. I do not buy frivolous things. I am a very responsible consumer.
1. Discover Financial Services - offers consumers one thing and then when they have you out there holding one of their cards and using it, they alter your contract. And this is something - THAT HAS TO BE ILLEGAL - And I have only seen this with Discover Card. With any other contract I have ever been a part of I not only had to read and agree to terms, but I had to sign and initial the contract and is changes were made they had to be read and initialed. ***With Discover Financial Services they have created their own laws, they have decided that if they bury contract changes in a letter, they supposedly mailed to you (Where is the proof I actually received the letter?) and mind you they will bombard you with letters, and NO ONE reads those letters and all the small print, ***But this is the important point, whether you got the letter or not, YOU AGREE TO CHANGES IN YOUR CONTRACT - BY SIMPLY CONTINUING TO USE THE CARD - So you don't sign anything, you don't acknowledge anything, you agree by buying gas, or some groceries at the store. Apparently the Credit Card companies have invented their own contract law rules. Who needs lawyers?
2. When Discover Financial Services penalizes you, it is never a 1 penalty situation. Let's say I am late with my phone, insurance, or electric bill - I pay the bill and a late fee (1 reasonable penalty for one transgression). With Discover, not so simple, they are in the "Double Jeopardy" business. You will be assessed a late fee (Penalty 1). This late fee will be added to your balance, which will cause your monthly minimum payment to increase (Penalty 2) and then they will, of course, double your interest rate (Penalty 3 - if your rate was 13%, now it will be 26%) and Discover Card makes a killing, literally and figuratively, white collar terrorism, greed, how much is too much. In fact I wonder how many people Discover has directly led to suicide because they put them in a debt that was impossible to escape, and the people saw no way out, which is exactly how Discover Financial Services, constructs their contracts, it's part of their business strategy, get a hardworking, respectful, responsible middle or lower class American in debt and keep them there at any cost - even when it means their daily practice of breaking (And apparently creating) the law.
3. Most recently Discover Financial Services decided to change (Without notice) all of their customers payment due dates. Again I have to think this is inherently against the law, as Verizon doesn't randomly change my payment due date, my electric bill is always due on a certain day as is my car payment, my rent, my car insurance, my internet bill, et cetera...but Discover decided to change my payment due date. This led to me (As I am sure millions of other Americans) being late on my payment (Oh Wow! LOOK, instant revenue for Discover Financial Services) - as soon as I and I assume millions of other Americans went late on our payments via Discovers latest scheme, they generated 100's of millions of dollars in late fees...
They hit me with late fees, and, but - here is the genius of it ***I have always paid well above the minimum monthly payment due - say my minimum monthly payment due is $70 I was consistently paying $100 - Unfortunately (Guess who else knew this?! Discover - THIS IS HOW WE ARE ALL PLAYING A RIGGED GAME!!!) so I went late on my payment, because Discover decided to change my payment due date, without notifying me of the change, then they hit me with late fees (Keep paying attention this gets amusing), they folded the late fees into my balance, which increased my monthly minimum payment due - and here is the kicker - my monthly minimum payment didn't go up $10, it didn't go up $20, it didn't even go up $30 (To $100 from $70) it went up $43, because Discover has my payment history right in front of them, and if it only went up $30, they wouldn't be able to catch me with late fees again, when I went in to pay my monthly minimum payment and like most responsible consumers paid over the minimum ($70 and I was paying a $100), but it wasn't $70, and CONVENIENTLY it was OVER $100, because they KNEW I would pay $100, and they knew they DO NOT, and DID NOT adequately inform me or any consumer of these changes, in payment due dates, raises in interest rates, raises in monthly minimum payments, et cetera...so they got me again...late fee, after late fee, because I was not adequately notified, and they raised my monthly minimum payment to just over what they knew I had a history of paying.
***Another cute problem here, I continued to make a monthly payment, on time to Discover Card, of $100, having not been informed of the change in minimum payment, but it is not enough to make a payment to Discover, if you do not make the minimum payment, you are once again penalized for - Not making a payment, Ah! But I did make a payment, and shouldn't it even be my choice, as a consumer, ta make a smaller payment, as long as I am paying on my bill every month?!
4. Finally, I have informed Discover Card that I am launching an all out campaign against them, via the BBB (Which I am starting to think has been bought off by big business), the FTC, The American Civil Liberties (Because I think the financial institutions inherently violate civil liberties, and generally a persons pursuit of liberty, freedom and happiness) my States Attorney Generals office (In Georgia where I live and was the initial crime took place), and also with The States Attorney Generals Office in Utah and Delaware where this company runs it's criminal enterprise (I am also going to talk to an attorney about bringing charges against Discover Financial Services under the RICO statute, as this is a criminal, racketeering, organization operating across state lines) I am also out here filing complaints all over the internet at the many internet complaint boards, via Facebook and Twitter.
I informed Discover of these intentions and now they are harassing me. Specifically, now they will not correctly receive a payment from me. I just paid my October payment, over the monthly minimum, of course, on time, of course, REMEMBER I AM OTHERWISE A 100% RESPONSIBLE CONSUMER (Except, apparently in my interactions with this illegal, fraudulent company) But...Discover promptly sent me an e-mail on Monday saying I missed my payment again. When I contacted them, they said the e-mail was incorrect, and that I had made my payment in time and in full, so I asked them to send me an apology and an e-mail containing the correction (Correct info) and was informed that they could not send that via e-mail, they would have to send that via conventional mail. THAT'S RIGHT they will send you incorrect info through e-mail, but the correct info, can't do it.
One more interesting/amusing thing - Discover Financial Services informs me that they do not have a complaint department?! What decent sized business doesn't have a complaint department? I assume the Discover Card complaint department was so overwhelmed the company gave up trying to operate one, and they certainly do not care about customer complaints and this is one glaring sign of their disregard for customer service.
My Desired Outcome:
I have said this to Discover Card numerous times and I hope someone out there can help me see this goal thorough. If a lawyer reads this and can find any kind of a loophole, and help me sue Discover Financial Services, please contact me, I can't pay a lot but I would make it worth an attorneys time, if we could sue Discover Financial Services, achieve my desired outcome, and hopefully even have a case which gains negative media attention for Discover's unscrupulous practices.
I simply want Discover to recognize that they have an extremely dissatisfied, angry, disgruntled, activist customer out here, that is much more of a liability to them than I could ever be an asset, ***And I want them to forgive my remaining balance (Approximately $3, 500) and send me a letter officially ending my relationship with their company.
Problem: I am extremely dissatisfied with this company.
Solution: We both go our separate ways.
That simple. It is like how every now and then a restaurant has to comp a meal. Well Discover Financial Services are going to have to comp my bill. I must reiterate that I am not trying to weasel out of paying my bill. The fact I have already paid my bill 10 times over.
While Discover Financial Services tried to ignore this situation I will be out here fighting via every avenue imaginable until I find satisfaction and justice.
In closing Discover Financial Services is a White Collar Terrorist organization operating with impunity in The United States. History will look back on them as the criminals they are, and see the acts they have committed for the depravity, greed, ruthlessness, lawlessness, and as the treason that they are.
More Discover Card Complaints & Reviews
- Discover Card - scam and cheating
- Discover Card - dispute of charges
- Discover Card - lower payment plan scam
- Discover Card - possible scam to get one to activate fraud protection
- Discover Card - usurious increase in apr by discover card
- Discover Bank - online saving
- Discover Bank - unethical dispute process
- Discover Credit Cards - terrible experience
- Discover Card - fraud
- Discover - balance transfer