Complaints & Reviews

Direct Buyrip off

I agree, we paid $4, 000 membership, we also have a yearly membership due. They have not sent us a renewal in over three years. They took our $4, ooo and we never heard from them again.

• Valerie Oct 06, 2008

My husband and I called DirectBuy over the weekend to add my name to his membership as his wife. We planned to shop yesterday as one household-husband & wife. "I have all the necessary documentation"-I said to them. They told us that there was no way to add me to his membership unless we paid another $4000.00 for a new membership. Why is that?

I though a husband and wife were "one" under government... the law. How can they separate us. They said that I would not be permitted to go into the showroom floor with him, I had to sit in a "guestroom". Is this a business in the United States operating like this. DirectBuy's practices are well beyond money, membership, and secrecy. This seems to be unconstitutional. How dare them to stern the nerve to tell a man or woman that they would have to leave their wife or, husband in a "guestroom" to shop. That is down right insulting. Our feelings were hurt. We refuse to be subjected to this. I am asking the Attorney General of Maryland to investigate. I made a formal complaint yesterday, after ending a very vanquished call with Directbuy in Hunt Valley, MD.

• Valerie Oct 07, 2008

My wife and I signed up and paid $5000.00 after submitting to the high pressure "pay now or never." I have been kicking myself ever since. I planned on doing my shopping online more than 90% of the time and inquired about that before signing up. I was told everything I wanted to hear. I was also told that we would have access to every product that each manufacturer made. Not so. The majority of the manufacturers were very high end and had products that were too high priced. The ones that we were familiar with had very limited selections.

The website was extremely poorly put together and it was hard to see or know what you were buying. On one link there was one picture for fifteen different items and the short, vague description only let you that it was an item you didn't want.

I spent hours and hours online and spent just as much time traveling to their showroom and looking thru their catalogs and came away frustrated and pissed. The minuscule savings are not worth the extreme time and effort and does not justify the high membership fees. Shopping with Directbuy is very time consuming and very, very inconvenient.

Those members who criticize us disgruntled members are either retired old *** with crazy time on their hands, or they are Directbuy employees who have infiltrated the complaint sites to try and balance the comment. They are liars and scammers. I wish there was a class action lawsuit in Florida so I could sign up. I am so pissed, I am contemplating picketing in front of there warehouse to warn off as much people as possible. I have contacted one of my local news stations in the hopes they will run a segment exposing the scam. I am so pissed.

Chris Nov 22, 2008

Wow. All I can say is that I have never been subjected to such nefarious sales tactics as this. You are essentially given an ultimatim, pay now or stay away. Very smooth operation initially, where you are assigned a "salesperson", in our case a herpetic saleslady, who was well trained and very cordial. No questions during the sales presentation which is essentially 3 year old video testimonials. The owner, Mark, was also very smooth and with a full house must have expected a full haul. The price, as of November 22, 2008, was a staggering $6390. They did not mention it during the presentation, albiet minimally, they also tack on an additional 8%. One would have to be building a new house to "enjoy any kind of savings. My advice, stay very, very far away. This is such a rip off of people it is amazing to me that the BBB has not shut they down.

Once again, I reiterate, it costs $6390 to join and they charge 8% on every purchase.

uh-huh May 26, 2009

I can't believe you joined! how is paying thousands of dollars for a membership to save money a good idea? you can always do better locally. Look on the internet, there are so many complaints about Direct Buy it's staggering. They also buy or set up websites to display supposed satisfied customers. This company is very unethical and their business practices are deceptive, if you really want results a class action lawsuit needs to filed. Believe me, they have tons of ready made excuses for you regarding your complaint, according to them anyone who has a grievance with them is just "mistaken" @ Direct Buy the customer is never right, it's only about making money on memberships they care about.

DirectBuy Victim Jul 29, 2009

Nicky-
      My wife & I share your experience & frustrations. We were also taken in by DirectBuy's lies. If you're interested in joining a national class action lawsuit to recoup your membership fees + time / travel reimbursements, please see information on the website:

www.complaintwire.org

• Mi
      Michael Y Mar 16, 2011

We were about to start major renovations of our home including new furniture. The pitch they gave us would save us thousands of dollars for an initial investment of $2000.00. As we began rennovations, we went to the showroom and used their catalogs to locate materials and furniture we wanted. In every case, we could get it for the same price in a local store. We did not have to wait 6 weeks and then pay a delivery charge from their showroom. We did not have to pay their additional service fee. We did not risk accepting damaged goods or a lemon and then accoprding to the agreement we had to sign with each purchase, the problemwas ours once the item left the showroom. The final straw was we anted 2 very expensive recliners. We got them at Macy's for less than Besy But could get them for us with no 6 week wait. This is the biggest rip off you can imagine. Don't even go there to hear the lies they will tell you. Avoid them whatever you do. They also tell you that you have to join that night or you can not join. What a scam.

• Ri
      rightthewrong Mar 16, 2011

I agree wholeheartedly - DirectBuy is a rip off and scam. In hind sight, it was after my husband and I spent $3, 600 for membership we realized: 1. We could get many of the items we wanted at a lesser price; 2. We would not have to wait 2-6 weeks for delivery only to pick up the item at a most inconvenient location and the cost of gas to and from the inconvenient location; 3. Whatever we would purchase (every single item) the price would be increased by their "handling charge"; 4. We would be "stuck" with the item once we looked the item over at the warehouse; 5. If we were to have a problem with any item there is no one to turn to; and 6. Their selection is limited although they claim it's like shopping in a hugh department store - a lot of their items how "no more in stock" items. Just to mention a few cons, the list goes on and on. We tried getting our money back - they allow 3 days to return the contract to which we did not timely cancel in spite of trying to talk to them with what we felt to be good reason. They appear concerned when they are trying to woo you over but they show their true colors showing you how unconcerned they are when you want to get out of the program. All in all we say STAY AWAY IT IS NOT WORTH IT!!! Purchase from stores you know you can go back to with a concern or complaint like Sears, Walmart, Macy's, JC Pennys - get the picture????????? Husband & Wife - Philadelphia, PA

Direct Buy Mar 17, 2011

Hi Michael and rightthewrong,

We are sorry that you felt the expectations you have for your memberships were not met. We understand, and we assure you that we aim to provide the best-quality items at the best price possible. We go to great lengths to conduct price comparisons with other retail stores to assure we can offer you the better savings. And more often than not, you will find a better savings with DirectBuy. We can’t guarantee that we’ll have the lowest price every time as retail stores may have sudden decreases in prices for a number of reasons. However, if you ever find an identical item for a lower price at another retail store, you can provide documentation of the price to your local club and we’ll work to get the best possible price ASAP.

Also, don’t forget, you can always visit the member site to find more information and contact Member Services. They will help you resolve any questions or concerns you may have.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can address or help you resolve.

Have a great day!

• Ab
      AbbeyGail0901 May 06, 2011

I wish I had seen this complaint site when we were considering joining. Sadly, we were charged twice what rightthewrong paid, but were planning a major Kitchen remodel thinking we would save. We spent twice as much because only high end products are available. I bought a Wusthof knife set through Dircetbuy and found the same 12-pc classic block set at a cooking store today for half as much - where are the savings? Help is non-exsistent at the showroom, you go find catalogs, and good luck if you are not a professional. The law suit gives members two free months - whoopie. Please do not be scammed by DirectBuy's lies and empty promises.

• Do
      donnahdesigns Oct 20, 2011

I was an interior designer for thirty years. I bought direct from the manufacturers because I had stores and inventory. Direct buy does give you the wholesale pricing, unlike the design centers that mark up retail 20% and call it show room list. They then give the designers 40%off plus freight and delivery.
      That cost you more than most retail stores! Direct buy is truly a manufactures pricing.
      You could not do better as a consumer!

Direct Buydirect buy... a timeshare?

We called Direct Buy based on their free 30 day promotion and when we went there we found out the membership price is a whopping $6995.00. Their high pressure sales tactics reminded me of a time-share where you have to commit now or forever lose the deal. Since we didn't sign their contrct we were given the 30 day free trial to their warehouse, or should I say catalogs, in which we could buy a maximum of $1, 000.00 during this period; however, this was only from their one $ catalogs, not from the 2 and 3 $ catalogs. If we decided to join during this time period our membership would increase by another $1, 000.00 to almost 8 thousand dollars. That is a hefty price to pay for 30 days...reminds me of loan sharks. Furthemore, if we didn't join after this 30 day time period and hand over their now $8, 000.00 membership fee we would be banned from their club for 7 years. WHAT A HOAX! ANY COMPANY THAT TRIES TO FORCE THIS ON ANYBODY IS A NOT ETHICAL!

• Na
        Nabster Dec 18, 2009

Franchises have different memberships and pricing structures. And some are better than others. Big Cities like LA and NY have higher pricing than others - just like anything. 30 day trial program is to allow a non member access to pricing for 30 days - from multiple manufacturers. Up to 1000 bucks is pretty nice. Why should they service anyone at all for free. Because there is no profit on product and you dont pay for a membership. This is generous. Limiting amounts you can purchase and from whom you can purchase is realisitc. Unlimited purchasing from any manufacturer is not reality.

Memberships support the business and then you get the ability to purchase at cost.

Weigh the benefit. If you cant save dont join, if you can, then do. Check pricing yourself and come prepared. Walk away if it isnt right.
        High pressure sales tactics, exist when you have a lousy salesperson, who utilizes ithat in order to make up for inability to consult you properly. Happens in businesses everywhere everyday and makes me sick.

It is a difficult process, due to manufaturers rules regarding confidentiality. We have to honor the mfg'ers in order to keep them on our shelves. But our guests should be honored as well. 7yr rule is not ours, it is manufacturers agreement with DB. Our commitment to them, that makes them comfortable being on our shelves. We cannot become a public library of confidential pricing. Our members love it because it protects our mfg'ers from leaving us, but it certainly difficult to understand as a guest.
        Check local BBB and local center before going in. Not all are the same.
        Merry Christmas

ps. I do work for DirectBuy in Cool Springs Tn. We are different than the rest. A+ BBB with around 43, 000 orders placed in 7 seven years.

Direct Buy — profiled

Direct Buymembership cancelation

I just tried to revoke my husband and I membership with direct buy and they told me that in the state of Louisiana that I only have three days to cancel a binding contract. This wasnt outlined in the contract and I wasnt aware of that. We havent even been members for 30 days and they dont want to release us from this membership. Is that legal or we screwed? Im calling them again on there next business day which is Tuesday. What they brief to us and what it actually is I think isnt factal.

DirectBuy Victim Oct 13, 2009

Yep, DirectBuy got us, too. Go onto this website & tell your story:

There's a lady named Trudy who has been helping people get their money back. She is successful and knows the strategy to help you. She also knows what to write in your letters & can help you site specific laws they are breaking.

Don't give up hope and allow DB to rip you off! Good luck!

DirectBuy — can't cancel membership within 3 days

We signed a three year contract Oct 2nd, 2009. However when we tried calling them to cancel within three day...

Direct Buyclear scam

After watching the infomercial for Direct Buy on TV I decided to contact them to get more information. I was told on the phone that both my spouse and I must attend and no children are allowed. I was given a reservation# and an appointment to visit an "Open House" for our local Direct Buy in Wappingers Falls, NY.

When we arrived, we were pleasantly greeted by the receptionist and then intoduced to out tour guide. Upon entering the "Showroom" we were then engaged in idle chit chat by our guide about our kids, family, etc while being shown around.

Afterwards we were seated at a table and asked questions as to place of employment, job title, etc. and then given a binder containing approximately 10 issues of Direct Buys member magazine "Directions." After browsing through the binder I noticed that the prices were not any lower than what I would normally pay. However, I figured I'd stick around and see what else they have to offer.

We were than escorted (felt more like being herded) into a room with some other "couples." and given a 45 minute video presentation and speech by another Direct Buy employee again claiming how much we can save by becoming a member of Direct Buy.

At the conclusion we were told it would cost $4800.00 to join for 36 months and then another $190 per year for years 4-10. Well that pretty much would negate any possible savings we could have realized by joining.

They offer a payment plan and it is apparent that they would benefit by people signing up under this plan and paying a huge amount of interest on top of the $4800 fee.

They also charge an 8% fee on top of shipping charges and tax which also negates what anyone would save.

The real kicker here is you are told that you MUST make a decision and sign the contract prior to leaving or you will not be allowed to return. They give no time for anyone to think about the information presented and expect you to sign a contract without giving one the opportunity to have it reviewed and apparantly this contract once signed can't be cancelled for any reason!

If Direct Buy truly believed what they promise they would encourage people to come with a list of any high ticket items they plan on purchasing within the next year or so and allow a potential member time to shop for the best prices and then show one how much Direct Buy can save you. However, this is not the case and as soon as you decline to sign the contrat you are immediately escorted out of the building so that you can't interact with anyone either in the presentation or waiting for a presentation.

This is clearly a SCAM!

DirectBuyrude and disrespectful

OMG! This place is rude. I had heard good things about purchases, under retail prices. I wanted to check it out as a possible resource for my kitchen remodel. I proceeded to schedule a "tour" through a salesperson named John Irish. This man was so annoying. He called almost every day to ensure that I will make my appointment, know the directions there, etc.

The "visitor pass" was for a Sunday, at 11:00 AM. A family situation came up. So, I called on Saturday to tell someone and cancel. I DID NOT SPEAK TO John. This person was nice and understanding. No high pressure sales from him.

Anyway, on Monday I was back home and my twin toddler grandsons are busy and I am trying to feed them. John calls me, chews me out for not attending, as I had scheduled, and wanted to discuss what he said, "Common courtesy". WHAT?!!! I explained to this fool that I had called on Saturday. He did not get the message. I the asked why he would do this and that I was with my grandsons! He kept referring to me saying that I had stated that I would be there and did not. I told him that my family was first and he was acting like a telemarketer! He did not like that comment.

Since this event I have read much about their high-pressure sales and rude tactics. I can only state that this is so true. And I hadn't even made it to the showroom, yet!

Run away; do not walk away, from this company! I am going to contact the attorney general's office next!

• Gu
              guest 10/21/2009 7pm Oct 24, 2009

i was in chicgao. brent gilligan was the spoke person and same stuff. pressure to join. rude. short and fat looking oddly around for the next couple to join jumping from table to table trying...trying to beg for memberships. i saw him take a few 20's from a coulpe and spread the down payment of 390 over 45 days. just to get them to sign a contract. they could not afford the 6500 how are they going to buy anything?
              shame on him and the company. he talks very close and had smokers breathe. we watched the whole thing. i wish i had a hidden camera. i would expose that man for the used car salesmen he is.

• Fa
              Fat Moki Oct 24, 2009

I have heard of many similar things, however, a friend of mine swears by them. I take it all with a grain of salt. Can you afford to lose this money (high financing costs, problems with returning wrong or damaged orders, not remodeling your house to the scale that you have to in order to 'enjoy' the savings they promise, etc.?) I don't think it illegal to work like a used car salesman. It is BUYER BEWARE. You know it. If you have any doubts, don't sign the contract and walk away. As for the deal about your 'free pass' to visit them and look at the catalogs, and if you don't sign up or anything, then they say you can't come back because you've seen the low, low, manufacturer's price. Um, sales gimmick!! High pressure.

Direct Buy — join direct plus! not direct buy.

My wife and I went to Direct Buy, thinking it was a place our friends had told us about in Indianapoli...

Direct Buyvery bad people - &open house day& is a scam

My husband and I were invited by Direct Buy branch in Ottawa to assist to what they call a "open house" day. They called us several times to confirme our presence, which we did. My husband was very curious about that "free gift" stuff they were promising.

First, they told us there was no fee and that if we show up at the store, we will certainly win something. With those difficult economic times, we though "hey, why not" ? We just bough a old house and need to do some stuff inside and outside.

So, we showed up ! We drove about two hours from Quebec to Ontario to make it.

The men who welcomed us was very nice, probably a ferocious salesperson, but a nice guy. But It got ridiculous when a women who was calling herself "marketing assistant" met us in the hall. She looked like a crazy robot and forgot to tell us the schedule of the evening, even if we asked before...

In fact, that "open house" crap was all about selling memberships, which are thousands of dollards ! We had to watch a scary video about the company and the mission and we have been refered to some "sharks" who wanted to sell memberships. When the scary women came to see us afterwards, I mentioned that I had to go to the washroom and she followed me just to make sure I wasn't leaving !

Impressions about the whole situation : scary and pathetic. We felt like if they were all on some hard drugs and that they were harassing us.

If they call you to assist to one of those crazy "open house day", refuse !! All you'll do is waste your time, energy and confidence in people !!!

Angelina and Calvin Oct 17, 2009

I and my husband gave the kids their instructions as we eagerly walked out the door to check out this new idea called Direct Buy. We were called several times by their telemarketers and after watching a couple of commercials we finally agree it might be something to check out. We walked in the West Creek Parkway office in Richmond VA. On 10/15/09 and were greeted by a cheerful woman that told us someone would be up soon to talk with us. Max and the owner Dan approach us and expressed how happy they were that we where there. Max took us to a table and within two minutes was asking us about our employment. We answered his questions as vaguely as possible not wanted to give our full financial position to a person we met two minutes ago. He asked about our employment and our answer was my husband was between jobs and I was a full time student; he smile, said please excuse me, I need to go get nametags. His boss came out and sat down with us asking us again about our financial position and employment. My husband and I looked at each other kind of bewilder by their blunt questioning method that made you feel like all they were worried about was your financial worth to them. We told Dan that we were ok and we were here to check out his establishment and tried to continue on with the conversation about Direct Buys Programs. After three sentence he then said “And guys as I was saying if you’re in between jobs and you’re not planning to build for another six months maybe you should wait and come back after you have gotten a job..” Understand we had discussed with Dan that we were remodeling our house to rent out, we were in the middle of buying a house to flip, and we are building another house in six months. Anyone with a Brain and common since would be able to tell just by our projects we are involved in that we are not really hurting for money. My husband works as a welder has a hobby not out of necessity. We are not here to brag or to put anyone down but we have had some good fortune in our life and let’s just say that our great, great grand children will be benefiting from our good fortune. We were profile, rudely treated, and dismissed while being advised that it would be better for us to come back when we have a job and could afford it. Little did Mr. Dan know that my husband was sitting there with ten thousand dollars cash in his pocket t because we knew that there would be membership fees and he was going to buy me a nice dinette set for my birthday. For about five minutes we were pissed then we laughed our butts off at the ignorance of Direct Buy and the money they lost. We went to Value City where we greeted, welcomed, and treat very nicely. Value city defiantly didn’t profile us when we walked in the door. I am eager to go back and pickup My new dining room set, two new bedroom sets, a double recliner wrap around couch, and we are every getting this really cool vibrating/heating recliner.

DirectBuy — 30-day trial membership

I have been scammed by DirectBuy and want to know what they are up to with this new 30-Day Trial Membership...

Direct Buy Of South Jerseyrip off

I, Like everyone else signed on with Direct buy in Oct 08, I have nothing but regrets. You turn watch HGTV and DYI so you can try to do projects your self (to save money) and Here comes a Direct buy comercial and all you think about is how much you can save. And days after you sign up, you relized you've been hoodwinked.

I am looking for numbers to the attorneys that are filing class action suit.

everyone that had a bad experience should get together and do a commercial to follow theirs. Wounder if it would get played.

IF there was even a way that people could be warned before they stepped foot into a direct buy. So many don't think to do the reserch until they've signed thier money away. And 6k is a lot to throw a way

• Al
                  alexberstein Mar 04, 2010

i've had a directbuy membership for 4 years now, and bought it because i was redoing my kitchen. sure the memberships are a little pricey, but i instantly got my money back and then some from the savings with my kitchen. if you are doing any major costly remodelings to your home its a great value. if you're building a house from the ground up GET A MEMBERSHIP. i still buy things now like my new sony 52" tv which i got for 650 less than bestbuy sold it for.

• Tg
                  TG-SJ member Jun 15, 2011

I have been a member for a long time. Just went there today and they were gone. No letters saying that they closed was sent to me explaining any of this Just seen the piece of crap paper on the front of the new site they moved to. Good thing I did not renew my membership for this year. The nearest one is 30 minutes drive away and after reading these posts I think I will be cutting my loses and not renewing and they can pound sand in their ###. Not sure if I can file anything to try to recoup any of my previous paid funds but might try looking into it.

Direct Buy Canada — huge membership fee

$5600.00 for a 3 year membership fee !!! $3000.00 for a 6-month membership fee !!! don't be a fool to go...

Pickering

DirectBuy — scam pressure tacticts

I agree with what everyone is saying.We went thru a nightmare over our first and only purchase.This was very...

Direct Buypoor business practices

I am a former empoyee of Direct Buy of Memphis, TN I worked at this location for many years. Let me just say that I am so very glad that I have been let off the roller coaster!! The emotional distress that I went through from the owners and managers cursing, yelling, sexual comments and so much more unprofessional behavior was so overwhelming. I was fired because I would not disclose personal information about a member that I had befriended. I also would not sell a membership to an elderly woman on an oxygen tank.
                I did experience some people who saved alot of money. These people were buiding houses around 8, 000-12, 000 square feet and buying a great deal of merchandise. For those of us who live in a more conservative home and do not purchase thousands of dollars worth of merchandise a year furnishing those home, we will not save a dime. Actually, if you are a very savvy shopper, you will pay more at Direct Buy than you would doing a little research. The membership costs thousands of dollars and that only "allows" you access for two years. After that, there is an additional yearly fee for up to five years. After the five years, if you still believe you are saving money, you can re-join all over again.
                I am absolutely floored by the number of people who actually believe this is a wise investment.
                With all of that said, even if you do save money on a couple of purchases, you can not see the items before you purcahse, only pictures in catalogs. You will wait several months to receive your items and you will be treated like a child in the process.

DirectBuy Victim May 19, 2009

Thanks for doing what is right. It took a lot of courage for you to share your experiences with DirectBuy in hopes of saving others from their slimy grip. I can't imagine getting fired for having a moral backbone.
                    If you hear of anyone who wants retribution:
                    Help spread the word...
                    A Federal Class Action lawsuit against DirectBuy has been filed by Izard Nobel LLP. Contact information is as follows
                    toll free phone# - [protected]
                    Please contact them so justice may prevail & we can get our hard earned money aka "membership fees" back.

uh-huh May 26, 2009

I am really glad to hear a former employee come forward with the truth about this company. I am very fortunate I listened to my gut and didn't join, the more I learn about Direct Buy the more I can't believe they are still in business. Some people may have saved money with them but I don't see how, people making large purchases on merchandise would be given a bulk discount with a local company without having to pay thousands of dollars for a fake membership. How is this company still allowed to do business? I hope they get shut down, I am doing all I can to get them out of Tucson.

Direct Buycontract scam

I had gone to the Direct Buy showroom with my dad, and was given a 45 minute presentation. Since we both have limited incomes, we hesitated on a commitment to pay a monthly fee for the program. We gave 100.00 and told them we'd see what transpires in 90 days, and at that point we'd either commit, or lose $100.00. What I didn't know, was that, while I was in the bathroom, they had my father sign a contract stating that in a month $5oo.oo dollars can be extracted from his credit card to initiate membership. This wasn't told to me, but when I received materials stating that we were now members, I wrote and asked how they were able to start a membership on $100 and then I was notified that they had my dad's signature on file, authorizing payment. My father didn't realize that he'd agreed to this, and now we've got harassing calls from the company who financed this. Not once had we ever used Direct Buy, and would like our money refunded--all but the 100 we paid. We want our money back, and would like the finance company to stop harassing us. It was a horribly opportunistic move on the elderly (my father) and the disabled (myself).

• Sh
                      Shirley J Oct 03, 2009

B I G S C A M I MEAN B I G STAY AWAY
                      I can't believe it! The exact SAME thing happened to us to to the t including the threats from the finaical inst. who asked if we owned our home tnen said they could put a lien on it. It must be in their empoylee manual as your experience is excatly like ours.

Saabia Sep 01, 2010

My credit is ruined because of Direct Buy I am a single mom in 2007 I went to a Showroom presentation of Direct Buy at the time I was dealing with a marriage that was falling apart going though a separation. I have 2 kids and I am a full time student and I cant even get a loan for my education. I am paying for my education but I find it very hard to stay afloat. They made it sound so great at the time and I was so uneducated on their sceem. I tried to cancel my contact and I thought I did. But to my surprise I applied for a credit card to help me though school and I was declined, I looked into it and found that they put themselves on my credit report. This is B.S. all my bills are paid in time I have no problems with any other creditors. How do I clear my credit report ? Can someone please help me? email me at [protected]@hotmail.com

DirectBuyscam and cheating

I worked for DirectBuy for 8 years (and still do) and find that this company has helped far more people than it has hurt. However, it all depends on the owners of the franchise. Owners Michael Ricketts and Karen Hansen run their business with absolutely no business ethics are moral values.

They do not pay their bills in a timely manner which makes me question whether or not their members are getting their orders in a timely manner. They treat their employees with complete disrespect. Michael Ricketts and my company parted ways and it has been over a month now and he is still refusing to pay my last invoice.

He proclaims that he is not signing enough members which is why he is having money issues. He then places blame on the finance company. Again this leads me to wonder about the member orders and whether or not they are being ordered in a timely manner.

I would strongly suggest that you do not trust these owners and would recommend you move your business to the DirectBuy in NW Phoenix. DirectBuy is a great concept and WILL save you a ton of money. I just wouldnt suggest you trust these owners because your money isn't safe with dishonest people!

If you are a member make sure they are placing your order the day that you put it in and not 10 days out. If they cannot ensure this then I would contact corporate regarding this matter. Do not let these owners scam you as they have me!

• Valerie Oct 22, 2008

My husband and I attended a presentation in Feb 08. We were in a good financial situation at the time and were getting ready to purchase our first home. So we took the opportunity to join because we knew we were going to have a lot of work to do on the property we were buying. Well the seller stalled and the bank that had agreed to a short sale rescinded their acceptance because the seller was stalling. We lost the house to auction. Within a month the house we were renting was sold our from under us as well because the landlord defaulted on the mortgage. Now we were truly homeless. We had to move to another area some distance from work and our children's' school which left us with a hefty commute. On top of everything else the company my husband worked for cut his hours in half. We immediately contacted our center and informed them of the financial hardship we were currently having. After much negotiation they agreed to freeze our membership. Sounds fair right? Well according to the finance company that collects the monthly installments on the membership just because they froze our membership doesn't mean we stop paying for the membership. Now they are calling my house 3 to 6 times a day demanding money from us, money we simply don't have. When I asked the representative if they wanted me to pay them instead of feeding my children and keep them warm they told me "You signed a contract to pay and you shouldn't have if you couldn't afford it". Funny when we joined we could afford it, if I could see into the future then I could still afford it because I would know what the winning loto number are too.

• Ed
                        Ed Dec 02, 2008

Remember that great scene in Miracle On 34th Street where William Frawley tells the judge what will happen if he proclaims that there is no Santa? Think of that as you read this.

Let us put their sales tactics and fine print to the side and think about some bottom line. As memory serves the DirectBuy pitch eludes to the fact that their operational expenses are pain by the membership fee. In this area it is $5, 000 to join. Even with that figure perhaps it might fun to do a little basic arithmetic.

First, you get to pay the prices that the stores pay. Maybe so, but many manufacturers use different price structures that they use based on a stores volume.

The DirectBuy showrooms are in well appointed and decorated facilities, They can house several room displays, product samples, shelving for the many catalogs, meeting room, children's area, customer service area, kitchen design area, offices for the owners and membership directors, a telephone sales room and a break room. Ever wonder what the rent might be?

There is the cost of the basic utilities and technology such as the computers and telephone systems. Oh, and let us not forget the cleaning service.

Salaried, commission or hourly all of the people who work there get paid.

And, the executives and employees on the corporate side... They get paid too.

Advertising: It is likely that your local "club" pays into that pool.

Infomercials: Writing, Production and post production costs, royalties and residuals
                        (if any), and the simple fact that they don't get on television for free.
                        That goes for airtime on radio too.

Print: Newspapers, magazines... Costs for writing copy and layout. The price for
                        individual publications and ad size and distribution will vary but it is
                        a needed expense and DirectBuy does allot of it. Even the printed
                        material and your free visitors pass isn't really free. OOops I almost
                        forgot the postage.

Computer Ads: While less expensive than more traditional forms it still costs.
                        So do the web designers. Then there is a matter of the proliferation of all those new websites that are declaring the great benefits of joining
                        DirectBuy. All so positive... Real or not someone maintains them.

Had enough logistics? OK so here is the mythical math question to consider and think about. How many new "memberships" does it take to maintain all of the above just on the local level.

DirectBuy Victim May 19, 2009

Every time I hear about another person (people) joining DirectBuy, I cringe. It sounds great in theory, however, when you're able to do the price comparisons, DirectBuy can't beat the prices we either got through Lowes, Home Depot, local retailers or off of the internet. Plus we didn't have to pay tax for out of state retailers. If you want to get your money back:
                        Help spread the word...DirectBuy is a nightmare & scam.

• Fi
                        fittwobtied Jan 02, 2010

You are so RIGHT! DirectBuy is a scam! WHY do they have to spend MILLION$ on advertising? Did you ever seen an ad for Costco (though not the cheapest everytime)?
                        Their YOU MUST SIGN NOW or NEVER AGAIN approach sounds like hard up used car salesmen on a bad month.
                        You gave me an idea! When I have some time to waste I'll give them my MagicJack phone number (another scam) and show up with about 6 of my buddies! I can wait until they call the police!

Direct Buyscam artists

Direct Buy lied to get me to sign up.Took salesman aside to make sure they had contractors that worked in my vacation ski resort condo area that I was planning to remodel. I even showed him on a map. He assured me that there was no place they didn't cover. They work with contractors in any town on the map. I also asked him if they carried Natuzzi furniture. He told They carried all manufacturers. I told him I had to be sure they had people in my area as that is the only reason I would sign up. He assured me it wouldn't be a problem. Would not refund when I found out there was no contractor that services my area. Complained to a worker there and she stated she heard the salesman make false statements all the time. When I questioned direct buy at showroom they said the salesman was probably a little confused because it was a fairly new store he might have made some mistakes, but didn't mean to. I tried working with them for awhile on kitchen design, but it was so frustrating and a long drive to showroom I went to Home Depot and got an estimate from them. I gave a copy of estimate to DB designer, and she gave me an estimate that was more than HD. When I called to question their 40% off retail ads they accused me of taking their estimate and showing it to HD so they would beat the price. They did eventually come up with a contractor they said would work in my area and they have clients that live there. I called a few times to ask contractor about my ski condo remodel with no response. I asked kitchen designer and she didn't know if he worked that far away.

• Ed
                          Edward Mar 10, 2009

Two weeks I went to an open house. When you first arrive everybody is so nice and personable. You are assigned to an individual who will sit with you in a room to watch a video, which I'm sure nobody paid attention to because the only thing you interested in is the cost for joining. Also, after viewing this video you are told that you can't tell anybody and if you decide not to join at that time, you will not be allowed back into the facility.

I sat down with this individual and I explained to him what my goals were and the reason why I was interested in this company. I was told about the shipping, handling and taxes. I was also told the items would be shipped to the facility and I should come there to check out the merchandise.

I was told the membership fee would be 4750.00 if I paid in full, but if I could not do this, there were other options. I opted to take the installation payment. I must also mentioned once I signed the contract, these people would not have spit on me if I was on fire. I was no longer important to them. However, two days later I found out that I was not told the truth about the freight charges, which means I would be responsible for freight, shipping and delivery to my home.

If the correct information was given to me, I would have never joined this bogus company. When I called on the second day after signing the contract, I was told somebody would contact me, which never happened. I called the next day and the person I dealt with during the open house answered the phone and his attitude was quite nasty and rude. He told me I should have been watching the video.

I called the corporate office to make a complaint and I was told it was out of their hands. However, I did explain to this individual that I was not going to roll over and die or disappear.

I've currently contacted the BBB, local television stations. I will be forwarding all information I have to New York State Attorney General. I was also advised to contact the FBI because this appears to be an across state federal crime, due to the large amounts of money which is being scammed from each member.

• Eu
                          eum442 Apr 21, 2009

Direct Buy does high-pressure sales. A friend of mine signed up as well, and even though she double checked to be sure contractors could cover her area, and even though her address was right in front of the salesman, sure enough, no contractors traveled out to her residence. She decided she could at least get some furniture and the catalog was a crappy photocopy with hard to see pictures, and the one clerk nearby was sitting on a stool and refused to get up to help her. Waste of money.

DirectBuy Victim May 19, 2009

I can't believe that DirectBuy is still in business. We have to band together and continue to let others know what a scam this is. DirectBuy is a nightmare & they lie about their "no retail mark-up" merchandise.

DirectBuy Victim May 19, 2009

DirectBuy will do whatever it takes to get you to sign up. They'll tell you anything and then either ignore you or deny it later.
                          DirectBuy is a nightmare & scam.

DirectBuy Victim May 27, 2009

Glad to hear you didn't join DirectBuy. On behalf of those of us who were duped, thanks for spreading the word in keeping others from having a horrible experience and spending tons of money on empty promises.

• Co
                          Cooky7 Dec 03, 2009

check out ' Natuzzi price fixing' on google

You should all know that its been reported today that;
                          'Cary Benson has resigned as president of Natuzzi Americas, a spokeswoman for the Italy-based upholstery manufacturer confirmed. The company has not announced a replacement. Officials could not immediately be reached for comment.'

How convenient not having ANY Officials available for comment. Couldn't possibly be because Natuzzi have been reported to the SEc, and the US Dept of Justice and the UK's Office of Fair Trading, facing potential fines which could total up to $200m, and extradition and imprisonment for Italian directors? Resigning does not escape from a jail sentence or at least it shouldn't!

DirectBuyfraud

There are probably thousands upon thousands of complaints on DirectBuy. I will add my two cents of how much of a scam they are reflecting the opinion of many.

Their membership fees are $5000 which they do not disclose till the end of a very boring, annoying presentation and tour that they make you take. Ok fine that is their business model and I will accept that. But they are fairly pushy when getting you to sign, essentially threaten you by saying you can never come back and sign up again for the next 5 years and in our case, we were mislead be a rep saying that their online website was getting a makeover and would give us access to all their products availabel in the catalogues.

Let me tell you, THAT IS NOT TRUE! They have the worst website and what they dont represent clearly is though you are getting products at the manufacturer's rate, they charge 8-16% in handling fees and then regular tax of 8% or so. So you might say well, that might not be too bad but wrong!

For the online generation thisis the WORST way to shop, you cannot find most products online, there inventory represented online is never up to date with pricing or pictures or product. You have to go in physically each time to possibly only one locaiton in your area, you cannot take friends/family for tehir opinions, you have to be married and only then get in, and after all that you are sifting through the most archaic way of shopping - physical catalogues that are such a STUPID way to shop in comparison with online shopping and using keyword searches.

DIRECTBUY IS A SCAM. Even if you see it in the catalogue, you hvae to search around all over teh place to find that product physically somewhere to get an idea of what it looks like and almost everytime you will find that same product online cheaper!! Online stores do not have the same overheards that are associated with physical storefronts and often times they will take a loss for volume sales which directbuy will not.

I do not forsee DirectBuy surviving the era of people shifting to far more sophisticated methods of online shopping - they are misrepresentative, pushy, they scam you into a decision of membership with little time to think it over and use pressure tactics, and in our case misrepresented the online functionalities, and if you are smart shopper you can find ANYTHING online cheaper than DirectBuy.

We obviously learnt the hard way. PLEASE DO NOT JOIN DIRECTBUY, IT IS A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY AND YOU CAN ALWAYS FIND IT CHEAPER ONLINE!

DirectBuy Victim May 19, 2009

Yep...DirectBuy got us, too. I always thought we were wise consumers until this happened and we're out $6000.
                            DirectBuy is a nightmare & scam.

• Be
                            Betty Aug 05, 2009

We were warned by friends that they were cheated out of about $5, 000 for a DirectBuy membership fee. They forked over all that money because DirectBuy told them that they would be able to buy things for their new home at the manufacturers' price -- at a 50% to 60% discount. Little
                            did they know, after DirectBuy tacked on hefty shipping and handling fees, they were able to find most of the items for sale through DirectBuy at the same prices, if not lower prices, at retail stores like Lowes and Best Buy!!

If you were scammed by DirectBuy, like my friends, you should contact the law firm Craig T. Matthews & Associates at [protected]@ctmlaw.com or 937.434.9393. That law firm has sued DirectBuy before in both Ohio and
                            Indiana (where DirectBuy's headquarters are located), and it's conducting an investigation about DirectBuy's misleading promises. If you want your membership fee refunded, you should contact Craig Matthews to pursue a class action case against DirectBuy. No matter what state you're from,
                            his firm should be able to help you. Be warned!!

• Su
                            Suckerforaday Aug 28, 2009

Direct buy is not truthfull in disclosing Our Right To Terminate Membership. When I purchased my membership I asked my salesperson if I had three days a consumer to cancel. She told me NO the state of Michigan does not give the consumer the right to cancel, once you purchase the membership from the moment on you are a member. Well she lied, Michigan does have a right to cancel in three business days for consumers rather they initiate the sale or We initiate the sale. PLEASE don't get taken like me. Use your right as a consumer and cancel if you change your mind!

• Lo
                            lomtevas Aug 16, 2010

Direct Buy has [redacted] intercept consumer complaints. [redacted] then assures consumers that the highest levels of Direct Buy's leaders will address consumer complaints.

This is false. Here is how Direct Buy Elmhurst addressed my concerns.

I was in Germany mid-July, 2010 and my wife Vera could no longer live in a disheveled home waiting for Direct Buy's shipment of furniture. Vera called the showroom and announced that she was coming to talk with the company's leaders.

One of these, apparently a partner in the business, a woman named "Miriam" met Vera at the showroom. Miriam stated that Vera was known to cause trouble and that Vera has upset all of the employees at Direct Buy in Elmhurst.

Miriam raised her voice and told Vera, "You are going to have to go it alone."

For the $5, 000 membership fee, this conduct was unacceptable.

Vera confronted Miriam as to which employees complained of her and not one employee stepped forward. Therefore Miriam was lying in order to control Vera's behavior.

This regulation of consumers is a hallmark of Direct Buy. Consumers who paid high prices and were mislead about the quality and availability of goods are muzzled either through global mechanisms like the intervention of Direct Buy in [redacted]'s listing of consumer complaints or through local action like Miriam's.

Also, I received two book cases that do not appear to be the book cases Vera ordered. This will add fuel to the problem as there is no return policy for erroneous listings of furniture items. All orders are made via catalogs and the consumer can only go by the description and a picture of the furniture item. If the item is not as it appears in the picture or the description, the consumer takes it in the shorts.

Direct Buymisleading & not delivering on promise

Direct Buy is $5k hard sell for a service that is extremely time consuming with marginal results. You have to look at their show rooms, shop the retail stores, figure out the differences of the quoted product and the one you found, pay for shipping, hope it comes in undamaged, and then arrange for your own local delivery. Service seems very good, but the results are more important when you are trying to recoup your initial cost. Stay away. Keep the money in your pocket.

uh-huh May 26, 2009

Time for a class action lawsuit! This company needs to be shut down! I don't know one person who has had a good experience with Direct Buy or actually saved any money. BEWARE!!! anything that sounds to good to be true probably is!

• Bu
                              burka Nov 21, 2009

I have been a member of Direct Buy for 8 years. I have saved over $21, 000 (net after deducting the Direct Buy fee) furnishing our home. I did a significant amount of competitive research so I know the savings are genuine. While I do not recommend Direct Buy to individuals who are not planning on making a significant amount of large purchases, it was a good financial decision on my part.

Direct Buy — scam, scam, fraud

Stay away from this company. Everybody is so nice to you during the presentation and up until the time you...