Direct Energyprice gouging

R

Hello,

Firstly, I would like to compliment the associate at Direct Energy for keeping her cool. Although I only ever slightly raised my voice, most defensive companies would have never lasted on the phone.

Now for the story...

Not unlike many of you, we decided as a young family to protect ourselves from the 'corporate menaces' at Veridian from skyrocketing hydro rates. At the time, the 5 cents per kwh that we were paying netted us bills around $380 for the quarter. With their carefully laid out accounting, Direct Energy scared the hell out of us one unsuspecting spring afternoon at our door, and we fell prey to a 'very conservative' rate of 9.65 cents; something that possibly even within 6 months would be matched by Veridian. Although I have requested my signatures for the documents (they called numerous times to get my business), I am in a battle with them that, whatever it takes, will be my relentless mission to win. We have paid at least $1600 more over the last two years than we would have, are locked in for 3 more years, and would have an early cancellation charge of $600. I just spoke to them today, and already I am writing this letter. They have no idea how many people are about to find out about their door-to-door scams, their 'hands-off' approach once they've locked you in, and their BS responses. In fact, I was offered a lower rate of 8.49 cents just for calling today, as long as I lock in for another five years! My next stop; my lawyer. Next; every forum there is concerning consumer protection. Next; an email to everyone on my contact list. And so on...

Please; don't let yourselves get trapped. My bills have not been less than $600 since I so-called 'switched'. Watch out for more correspondence; it certainly will be coming.

• Ov
    over drwn Jul 17, 2009

I agree. I have paid dble for gas since I signed. They managed to scare my wife into signing up with the market instabiltiy. Well you can only cancel your contract for 10 days after you sign (most men in Alberta are out of town for over ten days at a go) then to ice the cake it takes them three monthes to hook you up to the service, then another month before your bill arrives.

So you don't even know you are getting screwed until 120 days after you sign, 110 days after you could have cancelled.

AngelGal4Ever May 13, 2009

I agree my mom is a single mother and we got scammed by Direct Energy and now we are paying way more then we are suppose to. My mom cannot keep up to the bill so our hydro got cut off. Our bills use to be about 200-300 dollars but now they are like 1000 dollars. This is ridiculous and we got a 5 year contract. :/

• Br
    brendatusie Nov 11, 2008

Please give the name of a consumer attorney for this energy company.