Diamond Resorts Internationalrelinquishing my timeshare

J Review updated:

After my husband passed away almost two years ago, I was left with unsurmountable debts and notified Diamond Resorts that I could no longer pay the dues and wished to relinquish the property back to them.

I never received any word back from this request except to receive more than six phone calls requesting maintenance fees that were due and two letter threatening me with legal action. They do not care about the client. They only want to collect their precious dues. If you ever attend a timeshare presentation from Diamond Resorts, do yourself a favor and do NOT attend. They will hassle you until you either buy or try to keep you occupied with every available sales person and take away precious vacation time from you. These people are vultures!!!

Patrick Duffy Feb 17, 2010

Ms. Dulin,
    Our Chairman and CEO Mr. Stephen J. Cloobeck would like you to email him at; [email protected]

• Mr
    Mr. Torres Apr 03, 2010

My family is going through some difficult financial times. I tried to pay the maintentance fee (which has increased so much since I purchased my timeshare) in payments after the the due date. With my mother's passing and an already limited budget I proposed to pay the fee but in 3 payments. They responded by reading from their scripts. I asked to speak with someone who can make a compromise but was received with the same robotic script reading. So I agreed to pay an exta one time late fee of $50 and then an additional interest fee, that's it. But instead, they added an additional fee more than the first time. When I asked them about it they said, "oh its not a late fee its a collection fee." Wow! This is what you are dealing with at DRI. I do not recommend purchasing anything from them. I will sell my timeshare for a few dollars and rid myself of DRI once and for all.

Mr. T

Patrick Duffy Apr 04, 2010

Mr. Torres,

If by some divine chance some fellow poster came across and solved your issue from this post, you would have been a recipient of a miracle.

However, if your situation is important enough to you, please email me at;

Cordially,
    Patrick

• Mk
    MKVan123 Apr 09, 2010

I purchased my timeshare in Las Vegas in January. My husband and I were newly weds (1 day). The timeshare is in my name - I am a full time student and work 12 hours a week. We were told with the monthly maintenance fees we could, throughout the year make larger payments as to not have to deal with one large sum. However, I just receieved a bill for over $800 due in less than 30 days.

Also - I am paying about $3k a year with annual and monthly fees. When booking a vacation I realized it was going to take 4000 points for a week. Then I went to the website of the actual hotel - and realized I could book that room in the hotel for $587. Because I only have 3500 points a year, I am essentially paying over 3k a year for what is a 600 dollar vacation. How does that sound reasonable?

When contacting Diamond for some answers, I was told I could use my points to pay the annual fee. HOWEVER, all 3500 of my points is only equivalent to $175. Crazy.

We should never have been approved for this in the first place since I don't make more than 200 a month. We were lied to during the presentation, we were lied to when signing the contract (page 7, 14c) states that we will not be subjected to additional punishment other than the termination of our membership and loss of money we have already paid. That is fine - we just want out. Whatever we have to do, and no we don't want to file bankrupcy, die, or wait until we are 75 to make this happen. Nobody wants to buy our timeshare because most people are in the same situation as we are. To much money and not enough benefits.

Patrick Duffy May 03, 2010

Dear MKV,

Please send me under separate correspondence at; [email protected] your membership number. I will be happy to look into your situation.

Cordially,

Diamond Resorts International

• Ro
    Rodriguez Family Jun 01, 2010

Rodriguez Family

I am in the same situation most people are in with Diamond Resorts International, this is the third year we have the timeshare and we could not find availability in any of the hotels they advertise . It looks that timeshares were over sold for the amount of rooms available to members, unless you agree to go to the south pole in winter. Until now it is hard to say much about DRI since for three years we could not enjoy what we were promised, all I know is that the membership is for life and you can not cancel it even though it is payed, and every year dues have to be payed without a benefit, with that money you can have a week without having to pay purchase membership. If I have to go back in time I would not consider this timeshare.

Patrick Duffy Jun 02, 2010

Dear Rodriguez Family,

Permit us the opportunity to assist. No one who is reading this can solve this issue except you, me and my staff. Please contact me at;

[email protected]

It will be a pleasure to both clarify, assist and accomodate you.

Patrick C Duffy

Paul_SJ Jun 04, 2010

Just typing their name on google came back with all the negative things. I had signed for their thing just 3 days ago and I cancelled it today after reading the horror stories. I am glad I read the terms and conditions carefully after I got home.

Patrick Duffy Jun 04, 2010

Dear Paul_SJ...

If I can help to expedite your cancel, please permit me the opportunity. Sometimes these products are not suited to everybody. That is why we provide cancellation periods for each purchaser.

With 450, 000 owners and members, there will always be a percentage of users that are not comfortable. We're happy to accomodate you.

• Ro
    Robann Jul 30, 2010

I have the same issue with Diamond Resorts.

We have 2 timeshares with them and when we tried to book reservations it was full. They told us they are booked up to 2 years in advance.

Maintenance costs keep rising. This is not fair.

We do not want our timeshares anymore and are trying to sell them or give them away. We tried to return them but they do not take them back even if it’s free.

crv

Bakersdozen Nov 01, 2010

We have the exact same expereince. We have tried to cancel but DRI's response is: "You signed and you can't get out of it unless you die or become bankrupt!!"

An excellent example of DRIs dedication to customer satisfaction.

• Ka
    Katherine E. Martin Nov 08, 2010

My husband purchased a timeshare for $24, 000, 2 weeks every other year. Six months after we purchased we tried to book 2 weeks and were told that they had no availability for 2 weeks. We finally managed to find a window of two weeks and on the last day of our vacation my husband was hospitalized and diagnosed with terminal cancer. I called DRI and asked if they would keep our deposit and cancel the contract and I was told there was nothing they could do. The other two times I called to book two weeks I spent hours on the phone with DRI trying to find availability. We have never been able to use the timeshare on the dates that we preferred. Their customer service representative states that there is no availability. The fees continue to increase. The 2010 fee notice was received October 1st and is $2366. When I called to ask if I could make 4-5 payments I was told that the fee is due in full by 1/1/11 and that they will not accept payments after the due date. They give you 60 days to pay! We were told that we needed 24, 000 points to stay 2 weeks. When I tried to use 12, 000 points toward the assessment I was told the value is only $500 for 12, 000 points.

DRI are crooks. They tell you one thing and after you sign their 50 page contract you find out that you did not get what you purchased. If you don't bank your points by June of each year you lose your points. I have tried for six years to find someone that can help me get out of this contract. I paid $900 to a company that assured me they could sell my timeshare and in 5 years not a word. After reading all of the complaints it amazes me that the Better Business Bureau and Consumer Protection is allowing DRI to continue lying and taking advantage of thousands of people. I will continue to post complaints and spread the word that DRI is operating a scam.

Bakersdozen Nov 08, 2010

If I were you Katherine, I would simply not pay them. I believe that their ludicrous maintenance charges and poor availability put them in breach of contract. I am sure that they will send threatening letters (as they have done to me), but most contracts need to be balanced and fair. Theirs is neither. Essentially they have taken significant money from us all for something that actually has negative value (no market for the points). What do you call that kind of behaviour legally?

It seems that the bigger the scam, the longer you can get away with it. This requires a Government agency to take on DRI. The average owner does not have the resources. In my view Government is failing us all with DRI, they should be looking into this.

Vacation Owner Nov 16, 2010

DRI is a big company and is operated by "LEGAL Thugs" basically they have their legal dept figure out how they can rob and steal legally from thier members. If you look at you annual fees you will find one is called maintenance and the rest are assesments, taxes and owners association fees. Their legal Dept is good at finding the loopholes in your contracts so your vacation ownership is worthless (when they are done with it) and then thye get to "Leagally" cheat you out of your hard earned $$$ and make it impossible to sell. If you default they will gladly steal your deeded property (which you paid in full) and resell it to some other poor smuck at some "6 hour long" 90 minute presentation.

This member robbery has worked well for them for the past few years and they have damage control being handled by a very pleasant Mr. Duffy oh I mean customer service, sorry Patrick. If you have not been asked yet to respond offline directly to Patrick, you are not making enough noise or give it a little time he will invite you to contact him directly. Drop him a note he does seem to be a nice guy, even though he won't talk to me anymore, as I have anger issues.

[email protected]

DRI is TOP HEAVY and that is why your fees are so much... Personal opion, but very plausable as they lump those heavty salaries in to their "MANAGEMENT FEES". The resort where I own a deeded week (did not sign up for DRI Points) went from around 950, 000 dallar management cost in 2008 to 2, 500, 000 in 2009. DRI's response to the 150% hike in cost was that the resort was paying well under Industry standard managment fees. no real justification, spin it anyway you like DRI is ripping you off...

Vacation Owner
    Keep posting complaints about DRI someone is listening...

Vacation Owner Nov 17, 2010

Hey Bakers

It's my personal oppinion, but I think the ludicrus fees are funding some DRI executives exit strategy and we the abused members (not by choice) will be left footing the bailout... again...

Vacation Owner

Bakersdozen Nov 17, 2010

The continued silence from Mr Duffy on the question of the application of maintenance fees does seem very suspicious I admit. They certainly are creaming in a huge amount of cash in maintenance fees. Come on Mr Duffy, break your silence and explain in simple language what is going on. How much do you spend per typical appartment per week in maintenance. We know what you charge us... what do you spend it on? Do you wash down the walls with angel tears and scrub the floors with powdered unicorn horn?

Dicko 7 Dec 05, 2010

Hi all
    We are having exactly the same problems in the UK. Diamond resorts are phoning every day with an automated system based from the US to hassle complaining owners into paying their maintenance fees. They are now threatening us with debt collectors. All are meant to push us into paying but are producing the opposite effects. What a sad bunch of conmen!
    However, I feel this is simply the desperate death throws of a redundant system attempting to squeeze as much out of its victims before it collapses.

Patrick Duffy Dec 05, 2010

Dear Dicko...

Sadly, you are currently in a personal financial spot now. One that Diamond Resorts has not placed you in, in your entirety. For however long you have been an owner, you have no doubt held up your financial responsibilities. Like all other current members, who use the product, pay the fees on the agreement they signed and enjoy holidays and vacations annually.
    Unfortunately, for whatever reason has befallen you financially, Diamond Resorts is not the root cause of that. If we can assist you in bringing your responsibilities current we would be happy too.

• Ci
    Cindyvan Apr 22, 2018

@Patrick Duffy I am a diamond owner but it was not Diamond when I purchased it. Diamond does overcharge for maintenance fees to the point of seeming like legalized robbery. If this was a legitimate organization with what you consider to be a good deal why is it you don't resell them for owners of just let us give them back to you?

Dicko 7 Dec 05, 2010

Dear Duffy
    What are you talking about? I am in no financial spot - never been so well off. Got a joint income of £80, 000 and NONE of it is coming your way.
    Have you read back what you have actually written? It does not make sense! Do you actually read what your ex-owners are saying? I can get the "product" cheaper from a travel agent so why pay maintenance fees? The "agreement" was signed under false infomation that amounted to misrepresentation - why do you employ salesmen who tell lies to entice people to buy your "product".
    Don't flatter yourself - DRI would never be the root of any of my problems. However, it is a problem to many many pensioners and widows being shafted by your organisation's 54 year debt. Shame on you!
    I will repeat - Timeshare is dead and it was suicide - scam owners and their thug lawyers killed it with their greed!

Bakersdozen Dec 06, 2010

DRI are arrogant, ignorant and greedy. Not to mention morally corrupt.

I agree with you Dicko, Partick should hang his head in shame to be associated with DRI. I am amazed that he has the front to even keep writing on this thread.

Bakersdozen Dec 06, 2010

I think that it is shameful the way that DRI treats it's customers. Many are now retired and originally "invested" (as we were told at the time!) in points to get access to "5 star" holidays at lower cost (also as we were promised at the time).

Now, ten years later, the maintenance fees have been jacked up by a factor of four times, they find it difficult to get the accomodation that they want and they are being told by Patrick and his colleagues that they cannot leave (unless dead or bankrupt... in which case many fear that their children may become liable ( a particular worry for the retired who dream of leaving a valuable legacy to their children... not the albatross that is DRI).

What's the plan once DRI folds Patrick? To take milk from children? Better still sell a "milk contract" to children! Get them to give you all their pocket money up front plus a few pennies a week to be "members of the club". After they have been in for a year or two, you could change the rules to make it impossible to get out and jack up the mandatory price of milk supply to $1000 a week even though you have actually stopped supplying any milk...

When they complain, tell them that its all in the contract (on page 258, sub section Ciii) and that if they don't pay, the liability gets passed on to their teddy bear...

Dicko 7 Dec 06, 2010

Hi all - wheres duffhead and clooless?
    I am going to introduce my own contract sub-sections.
    3aii I will nor pay another penny to this company,
    6bi the product was sold illegally to me,
    9ca dont hold you breath because its my money and I dont like getting conned,
    10bu refer to 3aii.
    News just in - Diamond have introduced an embryo tax ready for when they go bankrupt!

Patrick Duffy Dec 06, 2010

Dear Members...Bakersdozen and Dicko,

Thank you for your thoughts and comments. If I can be of help to you both it would be a pleasure.

Yours cordially,

Dicko 7 Dec 06, 2010

Hi all
    Dont you mean ex-members because I would rather stick red-hot needles in my eyes than pay your conpany another penny of my money.
    As soon as a couple of ex-owners come along with a bit of attitude you fold. Diamond resorts is built upon a con and will soon collapse. Cheers Baker.

Dicko 7 Dec 07, 2010

Hi all
    Heres my take on this situation. I feel this points/timeshare scam was planned, with the help and direction of thug lawyers, and set up like a pryamid (ponzi) system. They (dri) created a contract that held their victims in servitude. They then sold it using a developed con process with a range of salesmen following the same psychological script. They told a load of lies to pull in their buyers but the company distanced themselves from the so called salesmen con process. The reason they distanced themselves from the salemen is that they knew problems would develop - as they have in relation to the increase in fees and the lack of availability.
    However, diamond think are still sitting pretty as they have captured thousands of victims with signed contracts using their web of lies.
    Diamond have created a front with a corporate image that portrays - we are caring for our owners and the environment - but in the end they are just a bunch of scam artists.
    So what happens now? I think their product has about to run its course and they are hanging on as long as possible to reap in as much money as possible before more of their victims see the light.
    Timeshare is dead and it was conmen like these who killed it! Shame on you!

Vacation Owner Dec 08, 2010

Unfortunately we the existing owners of resorts (not magic points or what ever they are selling these days) will fund the opposition by some "Legal FEE" they tack on to our Maint Fees / Invoice.

Concerned Vacation Owner

Dicko 7 Dec 08, 2010

Hi Vacation Owner
    I have heard this complaint before - If a crime has been committed (missold / misrepresentation / complete lies / unfair contract conditions / etc etc, then I am afraid someone has to put it right. According to western world law, common sense and moral values its the organisation doing the wrong that has to pay!
    So if timeshare - as it is - has been corrupted to sustain its very existance then it has to change.
    For example, if you resign as an owner - which I am with a family run honest timeshare company in Tenerife - then I cut my losses and move on. With the points system I cannot resign, they created a false situation during the sale where they neglected to inform me of the 54 year mortgage type of payments to make. If I die my wife and kids have to complete their ramsom money.
    To be honest it stinks!
    So if you have a problem with the Legal costs that is coming up - hassle Diamond Resorts not the victims of their scam!
    Finally - all owners need to check how much of their maintenance fees actually goes towards repairs etc. You will be suprised!

Bakersdozen Dec 08, 2010

Actually I have repeatedly asked for a breakdown of where the money goes. They never answer. The original brochure is very clear that the fee is for maintenance. Clearly the fee is now so high that this cannot possibly be true. Hopefully when the relevant Government agency finally gets up off of its [censor], decides to investigate, and puts a couple of forensic accountants onto the job, we will get to know the truth.

Let's be plain speaking. These people are evil. They victimise vulnerable people and cause untold and completely unnecessary misery. It is everyone's moral duty to oppose them, by whatever means possible. Yes they probably will try to add a legal "levy". I suggest that you do like the rest of us and don't pay it. You just have to face the fact that your holiday points are now worthless. It costs several times more in "maintenance" than renting equivalent property on the open market. If you sell your points to someone else, you are effectively lumbering them with a monkey on their back. Arguably selling these points to anyone could be said to be a fraudulent act. Face it. DRI have effectively destroyed the value of your investment. What has happened to the vanished value, I have no idea.

I had hoped that the American authorities would have sorted this out by now. Perhaps money has such a loud voice that it takes a while for US justice to get going. However I am sure that the executive at DRI will one day recieve what they most justly deserve.

Dicko 7 Dec 08, 2010

Hi all
    Its about time we had an ex-insider giving their views of the Diamond Resorts timeshare points scam. There is some interesting reading relating to another example of - Wyndham vs Faucett vs Wyndham: Goliath, Meet David from the web site Inside the Gate. Its a very interesting read and has links to fraudulent tactics used by the timeshare industry. Quote - The big picture is this: Wyndham gets many of its owners into federally regulated mortgage loans by using deceptive sales methods.
    Have a read then do some further research using the internet re Diamond and any of the negative words you can think of eg scam, con, fees, lawsuit, missold, misrepresentation etc etc.

Bakersdozen Dec 08, 2010

Yes there must be at least one truly repentent DRI sinner out there. Come on guys, save your souls now. Blow the whistle!!!

Dicko 7 Dec 10, 2010

This is an typical example from a DRI complaints web site in the UK -
    I have just endured an intimidating telephone call from DRI collections to collect my management fees. I have written to them repeatedly stating my circumstances of having an heart attack resulting in a quadruple heart bypass and because of this I am currently unemployed with no prospect of getting a job. I did resign my membership this year but for some reason they still hold me liable for the management fees. If I get another call from them I will just put the phone down as the stress of all this is literally killing me. I just wanted to point out their lack of concern for their members who in this case had invested £13000 and has paid management fees since 1995 but has recently fell on bad times.
    Bakersdozen is right, - DRI are arrogant, ignorant and greedy. Not to mention morally corrupt.

Patrick Duffy Dec 10, 2010

Dicko & Bakersdozen...Not everyone feels like you...

Dear Alejandro

We arrived at East Midlands airport in a snow storm! It took about 20 minutes to get into our car - the doors were frozen. After that we couldn't get through the car park barrier because that was frozen too! Eventually we arrived home but have been housebound since Monday due to vast quantities of snow causing utter chaos everywhere and temperatures as low as -15C. You can imagine we wish we were in Majorca. We really enjoyed our stay with you and thank you and your staff for making us feel so welcome.
    Best wishes
    Margaret (Marshall)

Patrick Duffy Dec 10, 2010

Hi Lorraine
    Dicko & Bakersdozen...Again, your feeings are only yours...

A note from a very cold UK!
    Many thanks to you and your team for helping us enjoy our stay with you last week.
    The reception team were, as ever, most helpful and the internet connection was invaluable given the travel chaos.
    The accommodation, cleaning and gardens were up to the normal high standard and the new external furniture, both for the units and the pool, was a major improvement on the old tired furniture.
    “Ruby’s…#157; catering was a significantly better than last year’s offering.
    So, hopefully, we will see you again same time next year.
    Best wishes
    David

• St
    StiffedbyDRI Dec 11, 2010

Mr. Duffy,
    I most have my fair share of complaints with DRI and wish you would personally contact me.

Denise Hoogheem

Bakersdozen Dec 11, 2010

Mr Duffy: According to my last count I personally know of at least 350 people who share my view of DRI.

Margaret, you are supping with the devil. Use a very long spoon! Above all, do not sign anything. What looks like a very benign piece of paper may trap you into years of financial servitude to this group. Absurd charges and no escape save death or bankruptcy. I know from bitter experience.

Save yourself. Don't get drawn in!

Bakersdozen Dec 11, 2010

BTW I am sure that, within the DRI organisation, there are some decent people working. They probably have no concept of the true nature of the organisation that they work for.

You, Patrick, are not one of those. You must be fully aware and therefore morally guilty.

Dicko 7 Dec 11, 2010

Hi all
    I think we need someone else with a bit of commonsense to debate with.
    Whoever you are ( I doubt a muti-millionaire would chat on the internet) - you seem to draw other peoples attention to the boring periphery (thats the edges) and totally miss the point of these complaints!
    Fact - I was told utter lies in order for me to purchase your product eg MFs will increase only with inflation; you can hand back your points if you are finished with them, look upon it as an investment, you can go anywhere in the world with your points, they are perfect for during the school holidays, we could get as much as 4 weeks holiday per year out of our points. (ring a bell with anyone? Because it does with the thousands of ex-owners refusing to pay their MF and complaining on the hundreds of blog sites)
    Fact - I cannot get accommodation where or when I want. Your points are worthless - nobody wants them - I can hand your points back but they didnt tell me I would still have to pay for the MFs for the next 50 years. I could die but you have sorted it so my family pays on.
    In other words the full episode was a total misrepresentation of the product!
    Have I gone too fast for you?
    OK then. Try just answering this one question - Why was I told complete lies in order to buy into your product? (never mind talking about gardens or furniture)

Patrick Duffy Dec 11, 2010

Again, two people attempting to represent many, two people, who are obviously unhappy with memberships that they do not pay on, two people who are a drag on the financial health of the organization, two people who refrain from personal contact with me offered on numerous occasions, two people who's only power in this subject come from the comfort of their keyboard...My transparency and availability speak volumes to your cowardly correspondence and blithe disregard that your very misinformed/aged positions have a cost to the many that pay, vacation/holiday and enjoy.

Your mighty strong at your keyboards...But weak as water to call me personally to assist you??? What do you really fear??

For anyone who is in need of assistance... Please refrain from reading the tiresome and pedantic writing of the few that don't pay, can't use and try so very hard to erect a platform of credibility. Just email me, and permit me to assist...

Patrick Duffy----direct [email protected]

Dicko 7 Dec 11, 2010

Hi all
    As I predicted - you did not answer the one question I asked, which proves I / we are right!
    Cordially

Bakersdozen Dec 11, 2010

It is a tiresome and pedantic question: What do you do with the maintenance fees Patrick. Honestly we would like to know. Just can't figure out how it can possibly cost so much. Please explain.

PS sorry for being tiresome and pedantic... but it is my money we are talking about here and I would like to know what you have done with it.