Diamond Resorts Internationalrelinquishing my timeshare

J Review updated:

After my husband passed away almost two years ago, I was left with unsurmountable debts and notified Diamond Resorts that I could no longer pay the dues and wished to relinquish the property back to them.

I never received any word back from this request except to receive more than six phone calls requesting maintenance fees that were due and two letter threatening me with legal action. They do not care about the client. They only want to collect their precious dues. If you ever attend a timeshare presentation from Diamond Resorts, do yourself a favor and do NOT attend. They will hassle you until you either buy or try to keep you occupied with every available sales person and take away precious vacation time from you. These people are vultures!!!

• Rr
    RRGCancellation Jul 25, 2019

If you're a Diamond Resorts International victim that wants to end your nightmare... We can help.

Call the Timeshare Exit Hotline: [protected] to learn more and avoid paying anymore maintenance fees.

Joaniep Mar 21, 2019

My Husband and I invested in the Grand Vacation Club, back in the 1990's initially with £5000.00 and then with a further £7000.00 because we were so impressed and everything appeared to live up to the sales pitch. Beautiful Resorts and excellent service. We usually went to Santa Barbara in Tenerife and we were delighted. Gradually however we became disenchanted, as we realised that not all was sweetness and light.
    1) At the time of purchase we were particularly encouraged by the " arrangements the company had with airlines, for cheaper flights.
    This was withdrawn about 2 years after we were sold our points. We complained and were told it wasn't their fault the airlines pulled out. Therefore they were not able to help.
    2) At the time of purchase, we were told that ALL sites advertised in the GVC catalogue, were wholly owned by them and that the locations were exclusively available to GVC members.
    We found that ALL resorts were not exclusive and that Thomsons, Cosmos and even self catering individuals were staying on the site. When asked about this we were advised that the sites were not exclusively owned, as we had been told, but only certain rooms were.
    As time went by my mother became seriously ill and I had to give up work and become her full time carer. I told the Company ( initially GVC then Sunterra and Diamond resorts) each time the Company changed hands, about the difficulties we were having, the Children didn't want to go, because they were harassed by sales people, and that the clientele was deteriorating, and we were left to pay Annual membership fees that we could not afford, and we were getting nothing in return. I cannot recall the last holiday we were able to go on, even.
    We had to pay the fees plus late fees by credit card and now, we are still paying these off, a little at a time.
    Eventually we were able to relinquish our Points, as my husband developed Skin Cancer and despite several appeals, this was the only way we could get out of the scheme.
    We complained about the system not living up to the sales pitch we had been given at Pine Lake on several occasions, but were dismissed each time.
    The Company even tried to say that despite us not being able to travel we could still use the pool and facilities at Pine Lodge so it was still usable for us. Then even that facility was withdrawn. I have just watched undercover boss, and feel that Steven J Cloobeck, seems a really nice and understanding guy, but I don't think he realises the full extent of dissatisfaction and problems the Companies he has taken over, have caused to long term customers, who are now rooing the day they ever heard of GVC, Sunterra and eventually Diamond Resorts. I hope he does do more undercover work, particularly in Europe.

• Ad
    adelamerced Jan 29, 2018

I originally signed up with Pacific Monarch Grand Vacations. They sold me on the fact that even tough they only had 9 resorts that They had a deal with DRI on transferring points to be able to use their 300+ resorts with only a $100 transfer fee. Now DRI has bought out Pacific Monarch. Even tough they now own all the resorts I have to buy into another program at the cost of $8000 to be able to use those 300+ resorts again. So my original $18, 000 was not enough. I can only use the original 9 resorts. On top of that the quarterly fees of just over $100 is now over $300. I have completely paid for my resort fees at a cost of over $30, 000 Fees/interest and only have 9 resorts to show for it and not the 300+ I was sold on.

SarBear Jul 26, 2017

I may be able to help get you out of your timeshare [protected]

• Fr
    Free off Diamond Apr 09, 2016

DRI now accepting deedbacks
    The financial dept apparently Voluntary Surrender Program:

In order to qualify, the HOA (MFs) must be up-to-date and the owner must have a zero balance on the loan.

To start this process, the owner must send an email to: [email protected] with the subject line stating: Inventory Takeback.

In the email itself the owner must include:
    -Resort Name
    -Owner(s) Name(s)
    -Account Number
    -Inventory owned (ie. weeks, points, etc)
    -any other important information regarding the deed

within 7-10 business days, the Diamond Resorts will send an action required correspondence, where the owner will have 15 days to return.

Note: the owner is responsible for any fees associated with the paper work, such as notary, postage etc.
    __________________
    Brian Rogers - TUG Owner

Hi all
    We saw the above post back in December so we emailed DRI our details and received a ticket no a couple of hours later.
    The time share is a three bed lock off in Florida we live in the UK, we didn't hear anything until the quit claim deed paper work arrived beginning of March. DRI charge $250 for possessing deed.
    We got the quit deed notarized and sent to FCO for deed to be legalised £30 then sent back to DRI in las Vegas to end our time with DRI. We had no out standing payments due

• Ci
    Cindy Cooper Jan 25, 2019

@Free off Diamond Thank you for your post and I would like to ask who did you use in the UK to do the notarized paperwork. We own a 2 bed lock off in Florida and have just e-mailed them to notify them we wish to hand back. Any information you could give me to help the process would be really appreciated. Regards Cindy Cooper

• Li
    Linda Cottle Mar 23, 2016

OF COURSE the performance on Undercover Boss was just that ... a performance. You think they're going to be exposed to national TV with the truth of their company? Heck no! I don't see where any one questioned Mr. Pat Duffy's title: "Chief Experience Officer." What in the world is that?! I've been in the corporate world for many years and haven't seen that before. That's like a title a child would create on a play date. This isn't a play date - this is real people, real clients with real money. This IS a scam and it's a shame we can't do anything about it. If anyone comes up with a good solution, I'd be the first to try it out. In the meantime, try to discourage anyone you know from falling in this pit.

• Rm
    Rmduren Mar 07, 2016

Please read this article http://nyti.ms/1K1GAVG. Very interesting reading. Their stock dropped after this article.

Ken Gholson Feb 26, 2016

I tried to post again but was blocked

Ken Gholson Feb 26, 2016

I truly hate reading this about DRI. I watch Undercover Boss every time it's on. I have see dozens of CEO's go Undercover on the show but I must say MR Cloobeck truly brought tears to my eyes with the way that he truly cares about his employees, his properties and his guest. To pay for his customers wedding cause a desk clerk wasn't properly trained was very heart warming. The way he treated his employees was truly impressive. I just hope it wasn't, just for TV ratings. I hope I find a resolution in our bad experience at one of his properties. I guess time will tell. I will report back as soon as I hear from someone from DRI. [email protected]

Ken Gholson Feb 26, 2016

I recently seen Mr Cloobeck on Undercover Boss and I must say I was very impressed with the way he handled situations he faced while Undercover. He definitely takes care of his employees an it looked as if he cared about his guest. Since then the family and I stayed at the Beach Quarter Resort at Virginiabeach. What an experience. I have tried contacting the HR Dept to no response. So far all I get is the run around. If I don't hear from Mr Cloobeck shortly I'm going to try calling once again. I will update my situation an any response if any that I get. At that time I'll go into the details of our week at this resort . ken Gholson. Marysville Ohio

• Na
    Nancy Brockway Jan 13, 2016

SCAM, SCAM, SCAM. Does anyone know any other contract you sign that you can NEVER, NEVER get out off. Let alone you heirs. I don't! I have tried to sell my timeshare with 2 companies. Yep, I paid them $$ hoping they would. Still have it listed with one. No takers. I was told maybe someone from overseas who needed to show US Ownership might. Well even the unquestionable don't want it. I have tried to sell it for $0.00 and I would pay the transfer fees and ensure the current year fees were paid. Guess what NO TAKERS. I have sent to Diamond a marketing proposal to take back, again at no expense to Diamond, since I would happily pay the transfer fees and make sure my maintenance fees were paid uptodate. Guess what! EVEN DIAMOND DOES NOT WANT IT, why would they. We are trapped til the end of the world comes. Do you think Diamond even called me...NOPE. Maybe what we all should do is go to Diamonds Polo Towers in Las Vegas and as potential naive buyers get off the elevator to go the the presentation, we tell these naive buyers that we will GIVE them for FREE our timeshares. We will make sure the maintenance fees our current and we will pay the transfer fees. I bet many of these naive buyers will think twice about signing the NEVER, EVER contract with Diamond. Just an thought. Oh, I forgot, DIAMOND DOESN"T CARE. I wonder if they ever run out of timeshares to sell. NOPE...Because unlike they say in there presentation, and as we know, vacations are not endless opportunities. IT SHOULD BE PRESENTED SALES OF TIMESHARES IS ENDLESS, MAINTENANCE FEES ARE ENDLESS, AND AVAILABILITY TO BOOK IS LIMITED. Does anyone want my timeshare? It's your just for asking. Nancy

SarBear Jul 26, 2017

@Nancy Brockway I can help get you out. [protected]

• Da
    Dan88Vegas Dec 23, 2015

My partner and I purchased with them in Vegas back in August and we've paid over 3k in fees and payments already and we cannot even get a room booked because owners come first. They told us we were able to sell the timeshare and when we approach them we cannot. That you cannot cancel until its paid off. Well honestly i think this company is a scam and someone needs to do something about that. I've tried numerous thing and they still will not be helpful all they want is money and money don't care about the consumer. One of these those employees of that will get what is coming to them especially with all the people they have scammed.

• Kl
    kldinh Aug 28, 2015

I went to a DRI timeshare presentation and signed the contract with DRI after 4hrs of talking with the salesman. Felt like a good deal at the time, but thinking about it after i realized why was i so dumb! This is like signing your life away to the devil, because there's no way to get out except to give the curse to someone else... maintenance fee will continue to go up until the day you die, and if you give the points to your kids, you just screwed them for life. These points have no value and there are no ways to get rid of them unless you dieee!!! Thats a scary thought... Why is it that with any other products, the moment you stop paying you get kicked out, but with DRI, you have no options of getting out at all and have to keep paying until you dieee??? .luckily i researched a bit more and sent my rescission letter within 2 days. I feel so sorry for everyone who fell for this. This sounds like a good case for a class action lawsuit.

• Ol
    Olga V Jun 30, 2014

I would like to cancel. Paying 2k a year and only 2500 pints can't even get me a weekend in Vegas. How can we cancel. This may work for some people but it's not for us. Not what we were promised. It's a true shame we got this to take family vacations but we can't even do that. Better off booking my own hotel then through This. :(

• Ca
    CarlosGarcia Jun 27, 2014

Bought my week (not points) of timeshare on 1999, never could use it in the property (Grand Beach, Orlando, Fl, USA). Lost my job in 2002, so from my retirement fund I paid the mortgage in advance and in full. I then tried to get my document of deed (original) in order to sale it, but SUNTERRA (the owner then) went bankrupt. Since 2002 I have never again used, reserved, sold, transfer or anything my week to others, nor interchanged it through RCI since 2002. As soon as DRI (which purchased the result from the bankruptcy court) contacted me for due maintenance fees (outrageously higher than 1999 to 2003) II started explaining I didn't have a job and couldn't afford payment and that I was trying to sell the timeshare back, or simply relinquishing to what they called "The Association" to no avail, our calls and emails went unanswered, only to get every year a new collection threat. Finally someone in Collection told me to sign a letter transferring the property back and fax it, which I did and also emailed it to Collection. I thought that was it, since I got a Acknowledge of receipt and of read email, but it wasn't. 4 years later I start receiving new threats of legal action for now triple amount of debt on higher maintenance fees plus late charges, for which I never receive an explanation of how are calculated, nor budgets or anything at all. When I finally got through they told me that yes they received the letter but that I needed it notarized by a US Public Notary (I live in Venezuela). When I finally got an appointment at the US Embassy in Caracas for the Notary Services (which by the way are impacted by the Venezuelan regime attitude of expelling US consular officers) and call to let them know, they told me that it wasn't necessary, and that it would go to foreclosure with me losing the property (that I'd been trying to deed back to them for 11 years anyway) without having to pay for anything since they were well aware of the Venezuelan problems with economic, political issues and currency exchange restrictions, however I just received a threatening letter from a collection agency. 11 years into forced retirement, jobless and having tried by all possible means to pay fees until I couldn't no longer afford them, without reserving, exchanging, blocking or selling my week to anyone else, and which according to the lack of availability within my allotted dates for usage of my week in the Grand Beach property, was probably rented to others by DRI, without applying the charged amount to my maintenance fees I'm still carrying this preoccupation and anxiety.

So if you or anyone you know is planning to buy timeshare or any other service or products sold by DRI, you better think again and RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN FROM DIAMONDS RESORT INTERNATIONAL. They seem to be con artists running a scam.

• Th
    ThomasR70 Nov 20, 2013

Before buying a timeshare, calculate the total cost of the timeshare, including mortgage payments and expenses, like travel costs, annual maintenance fees and taxes, closing costs, broker commissions, and finance charges. Then compare these costs with the cost of renting similar accommodations with similar amenities in the same location for the same time period. And remember, a timeshare is not an investment for profit or an interest in real estate that will likely appreciate over time. And if you try to resell your timeshare, it is unlikely you will get any way near what you paid for it. This is a good article on how to buy a timeshare:

• Mi
    Micky Gee May 20, 2013

ONLY JUST READ THIS NO SIR I do not work for them my very good friends Mr Mrs Adams used their services and now yes we have also for a small fee lower than my annual fees we got out by disposal using the above named Adviser's namely David Thomson of www.thomsonandlaw.com bet your the one who works for DRI as have you ever tried writing to them to end the tie with them.??

We will be crediting them as we still can get the same unit at our chosen resort in Spain using there advice for £249 for a 1 bed in September we could in fact for the price of our old fees get 4 flights and 3 weeks rental in total. !!!

NODRIP Mar 07, 2013

Hello Micky Gee. Do you work for them then?
    You don't need to use any company to get you out of DRI.
    It doesn't cost you a penny to stop paying maintenance fees and then wait for them to take you to court because they never will. Their operation would then come under the microscope of the court and they daren't risk that situation.
    By the way Google doesn't recognize the company that you have mentioned - perhaps just as well.!!

• Mi
    Micky Gee Mar 06, 2013

I used a new Uk company for owners in the Uk and if you want my opinion we can all get out without worry or debt or threats from DRI
    My good friend also used this service and it worked inexpensive also and we did nit pay a penny until we had proof that our membership was finished and over for good.!! Google thomsonandlaw they will look after you.

• Ca
    cary jensen Dec 29, 2012

We have experienced a similar situation to the ones posted above. I have filed a complaint with the BBB and the Arizona State attorney general Tom Horne. I would suggest many of you experiencing maintenance fee increase issues please do the same. While I understand that things change, I feel that many of us who were owners of timeshares through ILX corporation have become the red-headed step children of Diamond Resorts International. My wife and I feel that we are no longer getting what we paid for when we purchased property in Sedona Arizona. We have recently recovered are original deed that we were told Diamond Resorts was under no obligation to honor and could have taken away ownership from ILX once Diamond Resorts took over operation management of these resorts. We were further told by Diamond Resorts management in Sedona that only "through the goodness of their hearts" would we be allowed to keep ownership of the base model one bedroom and nothing more. We were also told that we would be forced to use their somewhat confusing points system and not be able to keep our every other year one bedroom because no such option existed with in the Diamond Resorts timeshare plan. In the two years that Diamond resorts has taken over the ILX properties our maintenance fees have nearly doubled. While our costs to use what we paid for "in full" back in 2003 has seriously declined in quality of product the cost to keep has significantly increased. Shame on you Diamond Resorts for ripping off seniors.

• Kl
    Klattu Sep 21, 2012

I'm a Canadian and signed up for DRI points back in 2010, came to my senses a few days later - and decided after reading these complaints that DRI really is nothing more than a legitimized extortion scheme, that rewards and feeds a greedy and baseless existence of those who live off the hard earned money of others - for a good case example of how useless and messed up the people like Cloebeck are, go see the movie "The Queen of Versailes" about another timeshare loser David Siegel. Cloebeck needs to feel the same reality of this nonsense. I lost only a bit to DRI, and the way out is simple people - forget about class action litigation crap, the lawyers on the other side will all hide behind your signed papers and your politicians and government regulators are all doorknobs asleep at the switch because they either don't know about this nonsense, or don't care. What you people all need to do is find each other, the thousands of you that there are, and basically organize for a massive default of your ongoing maintenance fees and choke these @[email protected]&$ where it hurts - their bank accounts, and then wait for the DRI to sink. Think about folks, if you could organize yourselves for a mass walk-out, they will die, and so will this scam. Default works great, so stop whining and do something to save yourself and your money - and then take a vacation, sooner than DRI can offer.

Good luck!

Satisfiednow Jun 21, 2012

I tried to work with DRI when they acquired my timeshare company after a bankruptcy. I explained I could no longer afford the ever increasing fees and offered to deed back my week (not points, ) but they said they have no mechanism for reselling the unit. I managed to dig up an old email from the former owners telling me the options available to get rid of the week and deeding it back was one of the options. I shared that email with DRI along with a letter stating that I would no longer pay the dues and would like to deed it back. After sending the same letter several times over the course of a year+ I finally decided to get a little more creative. I prepared a Quit Claim Deed and sent it to them each time I received an invoice, along with the same letter and email copy. They finally called me and said the deed had to be filed by me in the correct county and that is why I was still getting invoices for dues. They actually sent me a warranty deed for signature and notary and pre-paid the return ship. Bye bye DRI! WHEW.

joe blogg Jun 21, 2012

i think diamond resorts are the biggest bunch of fraudsters since AL Capone, but they don't need to use a gun, they were even pulled up on BBC watchdog last year where he had to relinquish some peoples membership, because he did not want the bad press, but then told the people if they did not drop the action on TV they would get sued for 10. thousand dollars. but this sound like the action of a desperate man, having just bought the company the points system is the only way he can put money in his pocket, because, maintenance for fixed week owners has to be paid for the resort, whereas point owner maintenance can be lost in his black hole of his pocket, which is why he wont let anyone resign. but he will come a cropper because the next generation, cant afford to buy a house let ALone get burdened with a maintenance bill so he will be on a slippery slope. and the more he hikes the maintenance the more people will default every year.

Talman Aug 11, 2011

O'h boy are people who have been burned already by a timeshare company expected to believe this? I think there is little chance of anyone being fooled a second time!

• Ti
    Timeshare4 Elimination Aug 11, 2011

UK BUSINESS BASED IN NORTH WALES. Timeshare Elimination UK, Tel [protected]

DO YOU HAVE AN UNWANTED TIMESHARE? In todays market there is a need to find timeshare professional help when one is trying to remove themselves from timeshare. Trying to find a reputable UK business who can legally dispose of timeshare with NO timeshare upfront fees can be almost impossible.

NO HIDDEN OR UPFRONT FEES. We do not charge any up-front fees, appraisal fees or advertising fees? NO, NO, NO! Timeshare Elimination UK has never charged any type of listing fee to timeshare owners wanting to escape timeshare! Why should someone pay for work yet to be done. We MUST work hard to dispose of your timeshare, because we do not make a penny until we do! Other companies have no incentive to work on your behalf if they have already received money from you upfront and most tend to be a timeshare scam company trying to persuade you to buy other timeshare products ie a holiday club.

WE CAN LEGALLY DISPOSE OF A TIMESHARE FOR YOU. We are the UKs leading timeshare disposal business who will help you dispose of your timeshare ownership at any resort world wide. There is no marketing involved, no meetings to attend, no long winded sales pitch. What we are offering is very simple, your timeshare liability surrendered from your name and legally transferred out of your name.

WE WILL GET RID OF YOUR TIMESHARE FOR YOU. Stuck with a timeshare you don’t want? Let us help. It’s almost impossible to get rid of timeshares otherwise – and you will be wasting a lot of time and money if you try everything on your own. The market for timeshare is not as huge or as demanding as it once was. You will notice that there are thousands of timeshares for sale and only a very small percentage are purchased. If you have already tried to rent out your timeshare, sell your timeshare and have even contacted the timeshare resort to see if they will allow you to simply relinquish your timeshare but to no avail then we can help.

GUARANTEED EXIT PROGRAM! It has never been easy to get rid of timeshare, with so many people losing their jobs and having their hours cut back, it is sensible to get out of timeshare because there is no room these days for lavish expenses. Being able to save money is a top priority for the majority of people, which is why you should escape timeshare and escape clubshare now.

GETTING OUT OF A TIMESHARE, ADVICE DESPERATELY NEEDED: CALL [protected] TODAY!

We can explain how to get rid of timeshare forever, escape timeshare, simply walk away from a timeshare, no more timeshare maintenance fees with our timeshare transfer service. It doesn't matter if your current ownership is timeshare perpetuity, timeshare escritura deed, timeshare USA warranty deed or timeshare leasehold ownership! Timeshare Elimination UK are the leading professionals in this field and we can help you.

We simply transfer your timeshare certificates out of your name. Sounds easy doesn't it? Unfortunately it's not!

Most timeshare developers make it almost impossible to transfer, inputting all kinds of clauses into the contract. We know of timeshare companies that charge figures of £6, 000 but do not transfer certificates. Some resorts only allow certificates to be transferred to people who already own their product.

Comments

Dicko 7 May 14, 2011

Hi all
    This is how back-handed this nice CONpany is. On their UK website they have a link showing how the OFT have just taken a scam resale company to hand. Its on -
    However, if you read down the list of infringements, then this nice CONpany fit all of them. This reminds me of the saying -- "DON'T P*SS DOWN MY NECK AND TELL ME IT'S RAINING!"
    In other words this nice CONpany portray themselves as the good guys in this racket - when in fact they are the leaders of deception and misrepresentation!

• Va
    Vacation Owner May 05, 2011

Yeah! Another Happy Vacationer saved from the demonic clutches of cloobeck and his cronies. (IMO) Get used to it Duffbeck, DRI is not long for this world, hope your bags are packed for your big get away. I am sure much like Bin Ladden these scammers have stashed their cash, it's unfortunate there is not a price on their heads, like Usama had...

CVO

• Te
    Terri D May 03, 2011

Thank you all for your stories. I too purchased DRI when I was in Maui and was tricked into the 90 minutes open house at the Maui resort. I was a bit skeptical but my boyfriend liked the idea and so we bought 4, 000pts. Stupid me I should of done more research on my iphone before signging anything (but at the moment you don't think of those things).
    After our vacation I was curious how the system works and so I start researching online and was surprised...and overwhelmed by how many unhappy DRI members there are. I quickly looked through my packages and paperworks and cancelled my membership immediately since I still have the 7 days grace period.
    So thank you so much for everyone's stories or else I would too would be one of DRI's victim.

Thanks,
    Terri

Dicko 7 Mar 19, 2011

Some good news from the UK. eg - TCA http://www.timeshare.org.uk/news.html
    " Kings Ransome Holidays (Peachy Leisure) yesterday took a large number of its Members to Court in Manchester. Kings were attempting to claim back management fees and other monies from said Members.The Judge STRUCK out every claim, and told Kings they were liable for ALL defence costs, and ALL Legal costs."
    It seems the LAW does not like timeshare! It also just so happens that this company had the same contract type as the company for this thread. Shame on them!
    Wheres duffy?

• Va
    Vacation Owner Mar 09, 2011

We can certainly hope that is the case Dick07

Keep up the pressure...

On another note I found the CeO Dufster on a quiter board (only 27 complaints so far)

/link removed/

In case you wanted to drop him a quick note... Same MO however as he used on this board, ( Call me, email me ) to keep from posting negative posts on the boards. Still just a scared little boy with expensive squares that we paid for with our high MFs.

PPL that must do their business behind closed doors are scammers, not unlike polaticians.

CVO

Dicko 7 Mar 09, 2011

Hi all
    On a positive note. My neighbours think I am really popular because of the daily automated DRI calls from the states and the debt collectors attempts to talk on the phone. Keep it up lads.
    DRI must be really getting desperate for money. Do you think its because thousands of ex-members realise they have been scammed and that any attempt to threaten money from them is just the last wind of a failing compamy.

• Ge
    georgemavroftas Mar 01, 2011

First, a bit of background: My wife and I purchased our timeshare at Island Links Resort on Hilton Head Island from Epic Resorts approximately 10 years ago. It is a point system that we've been able to use in Mexico and here in the United States through an affiliation with Interval International. Our experiences were o'kay when the timeshare was owned by Epic and later by Sunterra. Since Diamond Resorts acquired the timeshare, however, we've had problems that include increasingly high maintenance fees and the inability to book vacations at desired times. Finally, several months ago we decided to withhold 2011's maintenance fee with the understanding (per what the salesperson had informed us at the time of our purchase) that ownership of the timeshare would revert to the timeshare company. We've had several telephone conversations with DRI representatives during the past month during which we were informed that we cannot walk away from the timeshare despite owing no money on the purchase price and that we would be subject to legal action for unpaid maintenance fees until we either transfer title to another person or die. With the intention of biding our time while we look for other ways to escape, we then decided to pay the fee but remain determined not to use the timeshare.

This brings me to the real purpose of this post, to share information which might be useful. I see at least two rebuttals to DRI's claim that we are beholden to them in perpetuity. First, regardless of what was actually written ten years ago in the contract, there is a long and well-established history of laws regarding agency relationships that would bind DRI to any representations that the salesperson (the agent of the company) made of the property to the timeshare purchaser. You can obtain a more detailed explanation of agency relationships from wikipedia (http:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_agency).

My second tidbit is that DRI apparently has no copy of any contract for any timeshare that was purchased by a timeshare owner from a different company. I base this upon a statement that a DRI representative made during a recent telephone conversation when I asked for copies of all documents in their possession related to my purchasing the timeshare: "Our records only go back to 2008, when we acquired Sunterra."

• Ba
    Bakersdozen Feb 18, 2011

PATRICK DUFFY FOUND

He is still alive and well and living in Las Vegas. Seems to be spending a lot of money on coloured squares. I am sure that is a comfort to all of you DRI victims out there. http://weeklyseven.com/feature/2011/january/27/patrick-duffy

Looks like you have a pretty good life style Mr Duffy.

Dicko 7 Feb 05, 2011

Interesting post on UK website relating to debt collectors -
    To enforce a debt they must have a county court judgement.A timeshare maintenance debt is un-enforcable if you have not received any service or used the timeshare in the previous year.
    These are just empty threats hoping that the less well informed will pay.

Talman Jan 30, 2011

Just come across this on the Mirror site!

In June of 2010 we booked 8 weeks with 50, 000 pts that we had paid maintenance fees on plus 14, 000 unpaid from 2011. We stayed two weeks and received a call saying if we did not pay our current maintenance fee all reservations would be cancelled for the remaining weeks. They would give us $1620 toward our maintenance fees for our remaining 36, 000 pts and we could then pay $4594 to remain current. We declined their offer and lost 4 weeks of paid vacation that we had already paid for. We are livid! These people are con artists. We had platinum status and got nothing in return. Do not buy from this company or you will be sorry. They do not buy back the points. Once you let them go, they just sell them to some other sucker.
    January 28, 2011 3:23 AM

Another happy bunny!! Still nothing from Mr Duffy! I wonder why!

• Ba
    Bakersdozen Jan 30, 2011

Can anyone advise of a US government agency that would investigate DRI's activities? Alternatively an investigative journalist?

This evil needs to be stopped.

Dicko 7 Jan 29, 2011

Hi all
    I have stopped calling your representatives salemen - conboys is better suited. They con the buyers and a man wouldnt do this, hence boy.
    Some interesting events taking place in the UK courts re misrepresentation and a lack of cancellation rights with timeshare contracts. Keep sending the demand letters, US based phone demands and debt collector demands Mr Duffy. They are all recorded and kept as evidence for later haressment use in the courts.
    Sh*t and fan come to mind...

Talman Jan 25, 2011

Here is another website where there are a lot of complaints about DRI check out www.redweek.com
    when you get on the website click on forums then on the right there is a search forums option type in Diamond Resorts search all forums and you will not be surprised to find a lot of anti DRI topics!!

Of course it is only a couple of people claiming to speak for many is that not correct MR (where the heck is he hiding?) DUFFY!

Oddly enough I have just been on the Tenerife Forum under the thread What are your experiences with Diamon Resorts in Tenerife? and guess what for the first time since i have been posting on there my post has to be checked out by a moderater!!! Mmmmm maybe I am being cynical but perhaps given the amount of anti DRI stuff that has been posted recently I suspect interference!!

Talman Jan 25, 2011

Has anyone noticed how the mouthpiece for DRI has been very conspicuous by his absence of late on this site? I do wish he would come back and actually answer some of the questions! It would also be great to see how he would put a positive spin on the court case they lost in St Marttens! Come on Mr Duffy show yourself!

Talman Jan 24, 2011

The reason he has not responded is because he cannot answer the specific questions without having to perpetrate his lies further, or god forbid admit that DRI dishonest at point of sale these wonderful points were sold on the basis of them being an investment and we were told we could sell them to anyone who wanted to buy them (GVC and later confirmed by Sunterra!!) now we are told by DRI that we can only sell to existing members (are there any out there who want to buy more points?) through a company nominated by lets think for a minute a'h thats it DRI!! For an up front fee! We were also told we could sell them back to the company at the current market rate that points were being sold (oops missold) to new punters!! So Mr Duffy when you next poke your head over the parapet could you let me know how much my points are worth and i will let you know where to send the cheque (or maybe a bankers draft may be better less chance of it bouncing!

It seems when he (or some unfortunate minion on his behalf) responds he does a lot of name calling and tries to show how articulate he is but never answers a question!! A career in politics awaits you Mr Duffy!!