Complaints & Reviews

injured

So, in all fairness to your health and safety, if you're going to be a guest at Villas de Santa Fe, make sure you're a litigious hypochondriac and have a video camera ready, a sample bag and a good lawyer because my former attorney, was terribly inept at best. I could never recommend another Diamond Resorts property to anyone.

Vacation Owner Nov 16, 2010

These crooks are not just in Santa Fe they are ripping folks off globally

Vacation Owner...

maintenance fees

We bought our first week in July of 1999. The maintenance fees at that time were three hundred dollars. We...

incorrect billing

I have paid the yearly fees for the interval ownership located at The Point in Kauai, Hawaii and those payments have been credited to the wrong account. I am requesting official documentation listing the payments that have been credited to my account for the last three (3) years. I have been told by a representative of Diamond Resorts that my payments have been credited to the wrong account. This issue has been dragging on for at least three (3) years without resolution.

I have faithfully paid on my account and it is Diamond Resorts that has made the accounting error. I would like this issue resolved before I am wrongly foreclosed upon.

Please provide a detailed accounting either in writing or email for acct # 1469482 in the name of Mary B. Bell for interval ownership located at 1613 Pe'e Road, Kauai, Hawaii. My email address is [protected]@aol.com. I can be reached by phone at [protected]. My address is:
PO Box 3031
Oakland, CA 94609.

My son, Phillip Bell is authorized to discuss and handle all aspects of this issue.
Your immediate attention in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Mary B Bell

Patrick Duffy Jun 02, 2010

Dear Mrs. Bell,

Thank you for this request for information. We will action this ASAP and be back with you to verify your concerns, and correct as necessary and required.

Patrick C. Duffy

Patrick Duffy Jun 14, 2010

Thank you Ms. Bell...

A complete forencic audit was completed on your account on June 9, 2010. The findings;

1) • The address in Atlas on Ms. Mary B. Bell’s account was changed to the P.O. Box address indicated in her e-mail below in October of 2009 however, the address
    history does not indicate that the address on 1469482 was ever the same as similar named account.

2) • Now Ms. Mary Beatrice Bell is claiming to have made payments that were misapplied to another account for the last three years yet we have not received proof of payment as requested from MBB and/or Mr. Phillip Bell on Dec 11, 2009/ Feb 23, 2010/ Mar 4, 2010

3)• There is no record of Ms. Mary Beatrice Bell attempting to contact us regarding her account between 2004 and December 11, 2009?

4)• The account balance for 1469482 was $5, 035.45 when the property went to auction on June 2, 2010. It was foreclosed on and the property has been transferred

We advised Mr. Phillip Bell via email on June 3, 2010 that I was having the account audited, I emailed him on June 9, 2010 to advise him I was ready to discuss the account and requested a time to call him. He has not responded and as such I am closing ticket number 2010060310000348. When/if he responds I will advise him of the account status

Thank you for the opportunity to speak to your account clarification.

Yours cordially,
    Patrick C. Duffy

customer service

Today I called Diamond Resorts [protected] and asked for the representative who has been working with me to...

rude & lying

I wrote Diamond on March 6, 2010 with no response asking them to transfer maintenance fees to San Luis Bay Inn. This was after I was told they were not yet transferred by Fairfield Management Resort. I paid club dues not recognizing until today Diamond collects maintenance fees for all locations except San Luis Bay Inn. I verified my account with Diamond showed $0 in maintenance fees dues in addition to club fees believing they were paid. Their site indicates they collect both. Nowhere on their site dso they indicate this policy is not applicable to San Luis Bay Inn. If you call the automated number, however, they indicate they are unable to take payment for San Luis Bay Inn. As a result of Diamond’s not specifying this deviation in policy, I owe a collection agency $649.49 for $240.92. One simple phone call or an explanation of the deviation in policy on their web-site would have handled this matter. Or for that matter, indicating what the fees were that I initially paid for.

Their response when I called Diamond Resorts this morning and pressed #0 (you can't get anyone from their corporate office). The person indicated to me that I should have known better. He told me “it has been years since Sunterra collected fees and that I didn’t haven’t my facts straight.” I told him that I have a copy of my VISA statement for 2009 showing otherwise—he hung it on me. Unfortunately, I find their people arrogant when they are ill-informed and make no effort to remedy their mistakes.

The collection agency said this also happens with RCI. They use the words maintenance fees and confuse people. In all honesty, owning a time-share is not worth it-- I find that I am dealing with people who don't care or not willing to help you. This is not the first time that Diamond has been so rude to me, or cost me money. I believe they do this to get more money from the collection agency.

Patrick Duffy Mar 16, 2010

Dear Sir/Madam:
    I can assure you no one will assist you on this forum except me...On behalf of DRI.
    We do care, a great deal.

If what you write about is concrete, please contact me and identify this occurance.
    Thank you for the opportunity.

jojobee Mar 23, 2010

Patrick Duffy huh you are a liar just like the rest of them. Your business tactics at Diamond are DISHONEST and just flat out WRONG. The Diamond Difference, YES so different that you will never get the truth and just get the run around like the rest. Horrible COmpany and just out right CHEATERS

• Ge
    george associates Apr 03, 2010

I have just spent the last few hours reading through various pages on this site, all relating to DRI. I bought timeshare in the UK, many years ago from GVC which was then 'taken-over' by Sunterra & finally DRI. I was always assured that if my personal circumstances changed & I could no longer afford to pay fees then I could 'sell' my points & exit from ownership.

So not true. That may well have been the case when I signed my original contract but with each transition has come an ever increasing array of constraints & of course, fees. In accordance with DRI rules, I am not permitted to 'sell' the points (except to existing owners), besides NO-ONE wants them, everywhere you look people are trying to get rid.

I am now retired, gone through a divorce & living off my work pension & still trying to pay off a mortgage so I cannot afford to take a holiday aboroad, let alone pay over £800 a year in fees. I have lost thousands of pounds to these companies in purchasing points & I now owe DRI over £1800.

Their answer? 'Pay up or we will pass the debt to a collection agency!' Well you're going to have to and we WILL have to sort this out in a UK court. I agree with a previous post; there are many people in the same position as I am, if ALL of those disgruntled owners refused to pay their fees maybe DRI would pack it in, sell off the real estate (bought using OUR hard earned cash) & go into some other business more suited to the talents of their sales teams.

I wonder when the authorities in the UK & US are going to start taking notice & react to what is going on out here?

Patrick Duffy Apr 04, 2010

Jojobee,

If you only can libel a person on this board...then I am afraid you are too far gone to assist.
    However, if your situation has a remedy that is congruent to your signature on your contract and paperwork, please send me an email at;

[email protected]

If you have permitted your situation to go too far...Well, email me anyway.

Best,

Patrick Duffy Apr 04, 2010

George Associates,

Well, you just spent the last few hours in wasted futile effort.
    You did come across my name...However, I've received no email... Do you think someone on this web rag is going to assist you? Other than me, if at all possible.

My email is above, if I can assist, please email me.

Cordially,

• Ni
    Nikodog1 Apr 27, 2010

DRI is the best thing that ever happened to my family!!! They are a great company there contacts are clear and if we ever forget or have a question we take the steps that or command since to call or email! We get answers in minutes or with in a day!

Vacation Owner Dec 23, 2010

Nikodog1

DRI TOOL!!! or someone else is paying your fees like a spouse or parent.

Vacation Owner Jan 08, 2011

George Associates,

The only thing Datrick O' puffy can do is help convert you to more points and less money in your pocket.

Vacation Owner Jan 08, 2011

Hey Datrick,

Webster asked me to help...

Libel --[lahy-buhl]

–noun
    anything that is defamatory or that maliciously or damagingly misrepresents.

MISREPRESENTS being key here, if it is the truth then it is not Libel.

• Hg
    hghgh Feb 18, 2011

Hmmm...so what happened?

excessive charges, unfair practices

How can Diamond Resorts, specifically their Board of Directors, justify charging a 25% collection fee. I received a bill for my maintenance fees on Feb 22nd with 5% late charge added since it was due on Feb 1. This was the first bill that I received in the mail but they had apparently mailed out the first bill back in November 2009. I can't blame DR for me not receiving the first bill so I immediately paid the 1220.80 balance online through their website and swallowed the late fee. On the website however my balance showed I owed $1526 not $1220.80. Thinking this must be an error I just paid the 1220.80. When I called DR Finance Service this morning, I got the most shocking news that I had been assessed a 25% collection fee for not paying the maintenance before Feb 15th. I calmly explained that this was the first billing notice that I received so perhaps they can reverse or reduce the fees since I paid immediately upon receiving this second notice. No go with the agent named Teresa nor the supervisor Dan. The timing of the statement mailing clearly offers no other purpose than to let the customer know that you are now screwed. The statement has a due date of Feb 1 and a statement date of Feb 17- two days after the mandatory 25% collection fee! So they conveniently send it out when they know there is no way for you the avoid the collection fee that is written somewhere in their policy sheet that the average owner does not read thoroughly. So I ask Why not send the 2nd notice before the unjustified collection fee kicks in! And Patrick Duffy- Chief Experience Officer of DR, how the hell does your DR board of directors justify a 25% fee for being 2 weeks late from the Feb 1 due date ! I don't even think mortgage companies charge $305 for being 2 weeks late on a 500K loan for a house you live in every day of the year! Why does your company deliberately create such policies that alienate owners. Is this the Board's way of ensuring that they have a large enough pot to fund the hefty bonus they soooo richly deserve. I hope there is a class action suit that looks into the practices of DR. Count me in Hafter Law firm of Las Vegas. I would be happy to sign on that document. Patrick Duffy, if you are really concerned about the horribly negative image that your company is gaining, I would expect to get a response from you at [protected]@yahoo.com. If not then your silence will say it all.

Patrick Duffy Feb 24, 2010

Dear ppaz98,

Responded to your email ay Yahoo.com...Look forward to assisting you.

Best,
    Patrick

• Pp
    ppaz98 Feb 25, 2010

It's only fair that I follow up my complaint with what DRI, specifically Patrick Duffy, has done.
    Briefly summarizing, I submitted my complaint Tuesday night here.
    The very next day around lunch time, Patrick Duffy emails me to acknowledge he has read my complaint.
    That same night I check my account on the DRI webpage and see a zero balance, meaning the $305 collection fee had been waived. I also received a voice mail from Mr. Duffy himself this morning confirming the removal of the collection fees.

I have to give credit where credit is due. If Mr. Duffy is representative of the customer service provided by DRI then I must admit that it is without doubt one of best performing, most responsive customer service dept I've encountered. These days when we have to tolerate shoddy customer care from the likes of ATT, Citibank, etc., it is comforting to know that there are still companies that actually have customer service.

I am not saying I am completely sold on the business practices of DRI. There is still the issue of mailing out late notices 2 days after the large collection fee has kicked in, giving the member no opportunity to correct the problem, whether it's due to oversight or in my case, a delivery problem. And I am certain only a very small percent of owners are aware of this 25% collection fee kicking in 14 days after the maintenance fees are officially late. There is also the issue of transparency regarding the >30% increase in maintenance fees. These maintenance fees have completely erased the incentive for buying and keeping timeshares. If I am to continue paying a maintenance fee that can be used to pay for a similar size unit, then I need to be convinced that my initial 12K investment for lifetime vacations with DRI actually has some long termvalue. I know many feel the same way.

Vacation Owner Feb 08, 2011

Pretty sad when a customer gives praises for a good job for something that should not have been a problem to begin with. Like saying what a good job the phone company does by providing phone lines, oh great job AT&T for selling phone service and providing it too...

What a pathetic attempt to put a good face on an ugly monster...

timeshare

I have been a GVC / Sunterra / Diamond member for 9 years and have watched the company develop. Your head line complaints are misleading. I have had reason to complain and have always had a response from DRI usually satisfactory. Yes they are not perfect but generally they are trying very hard and have an ethical approach. We have had great holidays from our points and visited places that we would never have dreamt of. Most of the people we have met whomoan about their membership have unrealistic expectations. Nothing is for nothing in this world you have to make it work for you.

Patrick Duffy Feb 20, 2010

Thank you for your candid thoughts...We both appreciate and work every day to earn these thoughts, sentiments and always based on our customer-centric actions.
    We will always continue to provide you, and all our members the effortless holidays you are looking for.

Yours faithfully,
    Diamond Resorts International

• Ta
    Talman Jan 21, 2011

Same here joined GVC 9 yrs ago plenty of availability now with DRI virtually non where I want to go. My expectations are no higher than was promised when i signed up 5* accommodation wherever i went this is patently not true! Now not only do they want to tie me in for life but also claim that that even under exceptional circumstances before they will allow you to get rid of your points there has to be no family who the points can be transferred to! And before we have one of the DRI spin doctors dispute this I have a letter from DRI saying so! The lies keep coming from these people what we were sold and what DRI now claim we have are two different things! They are a bunch of shysters and sooner or later they will be called to justice! As for Mr Duffy's comments all i can say it HOGWASH!! That is of course putting it politely!!

relinquishing my timeshare

After my husband passed away almost two years ago, I was left with unsurmountable debts and notified Diamond...

getting rid of timeshare

We are another owner of a timeshare, ours is in Sedona AZ. ourfees have gone up, difficult to use, worthless, I see sometime ago someone was trying to get a class action going did anything ever happen with that It seems to be we have some fraud & misrepresentation which is going on what if everyone stopped paying their fees and just sent in a quit claim deed

Patrick Duffy Feb 14, 2010

Your concerns are duly noted...
    Fees are decided/budgeted/agreed and voted by HOA's...Not Diamond Resorts International...

I can help you re-learn how best to use your membership...No one on this board can do that for you!

Email me at your [email protected]

Thank you for the opportunity.

Diamond Resorts International

maint. fees

Bought timeshare in 2003 at Powatan Plantation in Williamsburg, VA. Said maint. fees would not be much over $...

dishonest collection /foreclosure

Diamond Resorts International are dishonest and after contacting the Court House and Prosecutor I will file a...

fraudulent charges

Like many others I have tried to relinquish our membership of Diamond Resorts International - a type of timeshare holiday company who operate a points system. The annual management fees ( originally promised not to exceed an annual increase of 2 - 4%) have now increased by circa 37% and many members like ourselves either cannot afford ithem or do not believe the company offers value for money - it is possible to purchase a comparitive holiday for less than some of the membership fees and at a time and location of choice.

I have written to DRI asking to relinquish our membership, even offering the points for no financial reward even though they cost £3000 to purchase back in 1995. DRI eventually responded saying 'they do not operate a programme to enable members to relinquish their membership' and outlining some other options - none of which are viable given the huge amount of complaints about DRI on various websites and blogs which makes finding a purchaser very unlikely.

I am sure that such an increase in fees cannot be lawful and that this system of membership with no option to cancel constitues a mis sell. Judging by the large number of complaints about DRI on the internet I am sure this company should be investigated by Trading Standards or by Watchdog.

pressure sales and no availability afterwards

The high pressure sales "tour" we took not only lasted over 2 hours, but I would have sat there all day if I...

rip off - bait & switch

Rental Ripoff. I checked the rental rate for a condo in St. Maarten. I am an interval member and they have an...

timeshare will not let me surrender timeshare, says i'm in "club" for life

We bought this Timeshare from Club Sunterra (now Diamond Resorts) in 2004. The loan is paid in full and the...

$250 credit owed for maintnance

The manager, Mr. Bill England, guaranteed credit of $250 to go towards maintenance since I complained that it was too high in March of 2009. It is noted on their records in Las Vegas, Nevada that a credit was owed to me; yet, every month interest rates are accrued. I have repeatedly attempted to get it resolved, to no avail. I have Mr. England's voice on tape promising the credit as well. Truly, the Federal Government needs to regulate the Maintenance fees--they are astronomical. We, the consumers are robbed blindly by these avaricious, unscrupulous and unlawful men and women. The fees are not allocated to maintain property because each time I visited my Timeshare something was in dire need of repair. I detect fraudulent acts and mismanagement. Are these individuals using funds to acquire land and build new Timeshare? I was promised last November that if I converted my Deeded Properties to Points the fees would be less because I would be part of a large pool; moreover, there would be no Special Assessment fees--they lied. I received my first maintenance bill since the conversion with an extra cost of $230.00 dollars. HELP us Washington DC and free us from these bullies. By the way, did I mention that my mortgage Interest Rate given by these monsters is 15.99%?

• Je
    JennHan Jun 12, 2009

Read the contract! You have a period of recission, why didn't you utilize that period? I did the first time, then I bought and received my maintenance fee credit on the second presentation 3 years later when it became Diamond Resorts. Now call their office and get your credit.
    Kyle

• Je
    JennHan Jun 12, 2009

Hello Ms. Smith:
    My colleague Kyle just forwarded me your email. As indicated in some of my past correspondence you would serve yourself better if you call Patrick Duffy at Diamond's corporate office. This is a company that is quite customer-centric from my personal experiences.
    Yours faithfully,
    Terry

• Eb
    Ebersole Feb 05, 2010

We too have been having nothing but problems. 15 years ago my parents bought a timeshare in Daytona. They loved the place and the upkeep was great. The added bonus, the property was deed time and NOT points. The maintenance fees were reasonable and remained so for about 10 years. Now, since the properpty has been "assumed" by multiple companies, the latest, Diamond resorts.

Every year, we have the extreme miss fortune of having to sit through the sales speech and lies about how the maintenance fees are so high because of special assessments and that we really are still only members because they are a compassionate company and we need to really make the conversion to points. They have repeatedly told us the company we bought went bankrupt and the deed we have in our possession is effectively useless.

I have done my research and looked at the equivalent points. We not only would have to PAY for additional points to ge tthe equivalent of what he had to the tune of another $12, 000 and the maintenance fees we flatten out. I refused to go for their last sales pitch. The result was immidiate. We were essentially threatened and told we would eventually, no longer be able to use the resort to which we have a deed. My father is over 80 years old and felt scared and believed we needed to do what they said. When I refused, he was afraid. My experience for the rest of the stay seemed to change. We were basically ignored and subjected to rude comments and when trying to inquire why there were no more programs for families, we were told it was because customers like us made it impossible to provide quailty services and programs.

I complained about the exorbatant fees which have effectively gone up by about 30% a year for the last 5 years. I reminded them they could look at their records and see that we have been there every year for 15 years and can tell you on less than 2 fingers the amount of times all of the ammenities and facilities in the complex worked. I have had the same furniture, carpet, bedding, wall paper for the last 10 years. The only things I have seen change is a lobby make over and new pool chairs. No more family programs. No more fitness center. No more putting green. No more playground. No more working water slide. No more "owner night" (free food, games and music). No more pool bar. No more game room. No more breakfast nook.

Do NOT waste your time and money buying into this company. Once you are in, you are stuck. You will NOT see your vacation being cheaper and better than if you rented as an individual. Right now, with the travel sites, we can rent for about $830 a week. Our maintenance fees, $962. You do the math, where is the savings?

• Fo
    fourtimesamomma Jul 31, 2010

JENNHAN/Terry- Why do I think that you must work for Diamond Resorts. The only comments you've made on this site have been to say how wonderful their customer service is and how helpful Mr. Duffy can be...

Patrick Duffy Aug 01, 2010

Ms. fourtimesamomma,

I may have asssisted her...Now what is your question? I assist many people, do you need assistaance?

702-823-7660

scams and fruads

To: Diamond Resort International 10600 W. Charleston Blvd. Las Vega, NV89135 Scams and Frauds From: John...

fees have gone crazy

If any one reads this Diamond Resorts has more than doubled in 5 years. They have gone crazy. I would not buy there again. It is supposed to be a help in keeping vacation costs under control. W e could book a regular vacation with airfare for less than just the maint. fees.

Cheryl1960 Feb 08, 2010

Then why don't you explain to all of us WHY maintenance fees are through the roof - you can't ever book anything - nothing is available during the time people want to vacation - Why did our sales person tell us we could book anything on 2500 points - HOWEVER - that is not true - We CAN'T BOOK anything on 2500 points. So this whole thing is WORTHLESS - I say everyone who has a complaint against this Scam of a company needs to pull together and get a Class Action Lawsuit against. Please comment

Vacation Owner Jan 15, 2011

In doing a bit of Research on Diamond Resorts CEO Stephan Cloobeck I found an interesting quote;

The setting;
    During an interview after a very heated board meeting with regents for the Navada University system regarding instate tuition fee. The article is interesting and gives more background on THE MAN himself, but the quote tells the story of the man...

Direct quote from an online article from the Las Vegas Sun.
    Heather Rawlyk
    Friday, Jan. 30, 2004 | 11:14 a.m.
    ...
    In the hallway Cloobeck told a small group that if his business had overcharged people and refused to pay them back, there would be a criminal complaint from the attorney general's office.

Where's the criminal complaint against them? Cloobeck asked. This is so wrong and incorrigible that we would have elected officials acting like an (expletive) circus. Its simple, give all of the people their money back...

see the article yourself, just want to share with everyone what a great man they have running Diamond Resorts hypocrisy and self importance.

unfair business practices

I purchased a timeshare with points I could use every year. I was told the fees would total less than $800 a...

billing discrepancies

Diamond Resorts does not invoice properly and preys on delinquent charges and foreclosures. I was never...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices