Menu
Dell
reviews & complaints

Dell
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

508 complaints
156 resolved 352 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Dell. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
K
8:26 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I recently ordered a TV through the Dell website. The first incident was that the TV was delayed for over a week. I returned to the website to check the status of my order, and it had been canceled by the Financial Services Dept. I was not notified that the order had been canceled. Had I not looked up the order I would still be expecting the TV to arrive. I...

5:06 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I purchased a DELL Dimension computer and within the first 6 months, it crashed and would only start in “safe mode”. This issue started when I was sent an automatic update which ended up being incompatible with my driver. It crashed the computer, corrupted the driver and the video card. When I called customer service (which is located in INDIA) I was told...

12:31 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have been trying to get someone at dell to listen to me I even had the supervisor on the phone and she would not listen to me at all. They have been calling my home everyday for 17.00 that I guess I was short due to a late fee which is 35.00. I stated out with my computer only being about 900.00 but now seem to owe them 1878.00 which my credit line wa...

9:50 pm

Dell - fraud and cheating!

I got a computer through Dell financial services. I lived out of town at the time so used my friends name and address. Dell had my SIN number, my bank info, and my email address. I find out 2 months later that somehow Dell said that its not under my credit but my friends

After dealing with that situation I got an email from Dell saying its under me and that its not a problem. Few months later Dell phones my friend cause I missed a payment. They told him its under his credit and to go to the police and file a fraud report because I used his SIN number and agreed to put it under his credit because I was declined. Even tho After I got the computer, I bought a car, got a $1000 credit card and a $3000 loan from my bank because of my "Amazing credit for someone my age"

Long story short Dell said they fixed the problem but didn't, refuse to do anything about and also am thinking of getting a lawyer. Apparently my friends credit is screwed because of this and he can;t get anything on credit because of the balance on the computer. If Dell would have said they didn't fix the problem, I could of found a way to pay this off ASAP. And not have him go to the cops to file a fraud report so his credit can go back to normal. Frustrating.

2 comments
Dec 14, 2008 12:49 am

I fear anyone who has delt with dell in any way has fallen pray to a world wide bunch of crooks, especially their Financial service. They harass me daily with up to 6 Plus calls. I have complained to Dell Customer Support, nothing happened, .It's evident that the entire DELL COMPANY is involved in their customer deceit and outright theft of costumer money. we musta get involved in a way to get a cusumer complaint suit against dell and it's execuives...

Dec 01, 2008 1:16 pm

I have had a business lease with dell financial since 2005 and last year I signed up for 4 additional computers, this has been nothing short of a nightmare. They have progressively gotten to the point that I need to make additional time daily just to speak to someone. They call my front desk so often to remind me that the payment will become due within several days and to avoid any late charges would I like to make the payment today .Now occasionally a courtesy call would be acceptable but this happens each and every month before the due date and they do not call once but they call 3 or 4 times a day till they speak to me. I am trying to run a business here and you will get your payment the same as every month and it would be a god send to have someone speak english or at least to were I could understand them.Now one of my computers lease can be bought out for a mere $587.00 for a 2005 model geez that sounds like a deal, so I opted to return this computer this was on nov.18 they now told me that I would have to make the december payment(its not december) or have itback to them by nov 26 I stated that was not a problem I would overnight it, they stated that they would fax me the necessary paper work. so I waited and called and called and finally on the 26th I got the papers and overnighted the pkg got tracking numbers and followed instructions to the T only to be told I should not have sent it us postal. This is a nightmare company and if I can get out of my lease without having to mortgage my business I will in a minute stay away unless you have unlimited time to chit chat with someone and due to the fact that they remind you that they record your call I suggest you do the same not just with them but everyone this may eliminate some problems because they didnt like it when I recorded them.

9:34 am

Dell - awful computers and even worse customer service

My husband and I have bought a total of 3 computers from Dell, the first of which was completely defective. After several attempts of Dell trying to fix it with no success we then requested that dell replace the computer and they refused. I had to fight for months spending hours upon hours on hold or arguing with supervisors before they finally did exchange it.

When we received the supposedly "new" computer it said refurbished and again this computer to this day does not work right. Dell now refuses to give me any tech support on this because the warranty on the original defective unit has expired even thought this one is supposed to be new.

The other 2 that we have, one other desk top and a laptop, neither work right because of windows vista issues and after several attempts to contact dell for tech support(waiting on hold for more then 40+min each call) and waiting for over 1 month for them to call us back I have yet to have any call backs or any of the issues resolved on my computers.

I highly recommend people not to buy Dell and to go one step further I would not ever buy computer with any windows program again after the havoc Vista has caused on all of my computers (I will be making a separate complaint for this).

Looks like Macs for me from now on, I wish I would have gone with them to begin with.

Update by Valerie
Oct 17, 2008 9:31 am

Computer shoppers interested in customer service and support and expecting it to be good should be wary of Dell systems. This is an example of a company whose outsourcing for services in the global marketplace has in my opinion ruined its serviceability to it's customer in North America. Their response to my technical issues and a problem with sales were not completed in what I would expect to be a timely manner. Expect greater than one hour waiting times on the phone, shuffling of your call through numerous people and sheer frustration on your end! Case in point, Dell laptop crashes, needs several technical advisers to assist in reinstalling all software from start; advisor recommends expensive $249 anti virus software which is sold over the phone and sent via mail for installation. After realizing during install that it was sent for the incorrect windows operating system, Dell customer support refuses to take software back and send correct version (never mind the advisor had to know what system was being used during the reinstall during technical support). Despite calls back and forth at this point because we've been working this issue for almost a month now I'm starting to get quoted a 21 day rule for returns (ironic how we tried to resolve it way before then). This was the 5th computer from Dell and it will be the last. Such a shame to see what was once a once good company for me to deal with appear to be run into the ground. My faith is completely lost in the ability of this company to resolve my issue. I don't expect any response from one of their customer service reps other than something to the effect of "We're sorry and understand your problem, unfortunately there seems to be nothing we can do to help resolve your issue at this time". Save the lip service, I'll do my talking on my next purchase which won't be a Dell Dude! RE order number [protected].

G
Sep 03, 2009 11:50 am

Dell lost lab top computer. It was Mailed July 29, 2017. It was sent to One Dell Way Round Rock Texas. Seven hours on phone with Six different people. Poor product and awful service.
It will cost more to hire an attorney than the computer is worth. Computer six weeks old, sent for repairs. Sean from Dell picked up package at One Dell Way Round Rock Texas 78682. When I get the phone bill. I wil still go to the attorney.
Gail F.

Jun 06, 2009 10:33 pm

Dell will be gone within the next 2 years. The victim of bad advice from overseas companies who promised huge savings in employee costs. However they forgot to mention that there was also a hidden cost, in that your customers will start shopping elsewhere, bit by bit.

Jun 06, 2009 10:15 pm

I have experienced the same technical service from hell the last week. It is diffcult enough to try and explain something over the to a normal American person who speaks English, but to have no other alternative than someone who speask broken english from India who has no clue what you are talking about. But the frustrating thing is there is no recourse. Promises of call backs that never occur. Shipment of a hard drive to an address in California when i live in Texas and shipment of the wrong CD's to my home address to fix my problem. I guess I will have to drive to Round Rock, Texas and see someone directly to get this taken care of because all 800 numbers lead to some third world outsourcing contractor who can only read a script and does not understand what you are saying. Horrible horrible company to deal with...what a shame it has gone down the tubes.

9:28 am

Dell - scam and cheating!

I purchased a laptop through Dell Financial 2years ago. When purchasing it I was told by customer service that I was approved for the Preferred Dell financial account at a 13 percent interest rate. I was somewhat hesitant because the rate was so high but was then ensured that as long as I make my payments on time that the rate would go down. I didn't receive a first bill and then two months later received it. There was 2 months of interest took on this bill and not it was not the rate I was promised, it was actually 29.99%! I called Dell and confronted them with the lie that was told to me. I got an apology and that was all! They did not give me the interest rate I was promised in the beginning and would not take the computer back because it was past the first month guarantee.

It has been two years that I have been paying on this computer and I have hardly put a dent in the principal! Every time I call them I remind them of the rate I was promised and the rate I am paying now. There has got to be a law out there that does not allow these type of companies to get away with lying to consumers. I also recently (within the last 7months) found out that you have to call and request them to lower your interest rate. They will review your account every 6 months. I had it reduced one time (7months ago) and have called again to request another one and the will not reduce it again. I have never been late on my payments. WORD OF ADVISE: NEVER GO THROUGH DELL FINANCIAL!

1 comment
M
Jun 03, 2016 8:18 am

I bought a Dell Laptop almost 5 years ago and financed it for $1, 000. Min Payments were to be $30. After the first month I noticed that the interest mixed with other unexplained charges were above even the $30. Now almost 5 years later I owe over $2, 000 on the account. I would never recommend buying from Dell. They rip off their costumers with the interest and hidden fees. Now I can't even afford to pay the bill because of the fact it never gets any lower and even by paying $100/month I still end up not even making a dent in the bill. I will never go through Dell again, it is going to take me forever to even pay for a laptop that I have had for 5 years that doesn't even work anymore thanks to a bad hardrive that didn't even last more than a year without having major problems.

H
5:17 pm

Dell - paying for incomplete order!

I ordered a promotional deal from Dell. It was a combo of a 46 inch sharp TV & blue ray together. They were shipped from 2 different shippers. I received the TV but not the blue ray. DHL shipped the blue ray. According to the tracking information the blue ray got to their warehouse & never left. DHL looked for it for a few days then said that I had to contact Dell & get another one shipped & Dell can file a claim & DHL will pay since they lost it. I have been fighting with Dell since February on this. The customer service people said they would order a new package & we would return the TV we have. They did this twice. When I called for status I was told that it was canceled because the promotion was over & they don’t have blue rays in stock for Sharp. I asked for them to contact sharp & have sharp send me one & file the claim with DHL. They refuse to do this. I even said if they would just give me a credit for the blue ray & let me order another one, they refused this also. Sales told me that a Sony would be compatible with Sharp TV. Customer service would not send me a Sony either. I was told no credit, no blue ray & tough I have to pay the same amount just for the TV as I paid for the promotional deal. I sent a certified letter to Dell Inc. as an escalated issue. I received a call from a Tina & an email, after playing phone tag with her she offered me a $100.00 voucher toward another blue ray. Blue rays cost between $400.00-$500.00 dollars. I told her this was unacceptable & that they are ripping me off making me pay the same amount for the TV as I would pay for the TV & blue ray. I asked for someone above her & she said there is no one. I asked her if she was general manger, CEO or president of Dell & she didn’t answer. I told her that I was not going to let this go. She finally said she would talk to colleagues & see what they could do and would call me back the next day. I have heard this before so I asked is she promised she would call back & she said she would. This was Wednesday April 2nd. I have not heard from her. I have left her messages & sent emails & I cannot get a response. All I want is my order completed & a blue ray sent to me. I have to pay on the bill or I will be sent to collections. I am paying for an incomplete order.

I contacted DHL & they told me that a claim had been filed but would not tell me any more information since I am not the one who filed the claim; they said Dell would have to contact them. I told Tina that they had filed a claim with DHL, and DHL said for her to contact them. She would not do this, I told her that they are going to get paid from me & DHL and I have no product.

6:56 am

Dell - to dell the truth...

I simply cannot believe that a company would not even attempt to change its ways after having read countless complaints about the way Dell handles its customers! Ihave been through one of thee most frustrating experiences - my computer is now dead and i have lost everything after following for FIVE hours what some tech person told me to do! I am still trying to contact headquarters and will not stop until I have had a chance to tell Dell the truth about their company!

2 comments
G
Oct 09, 2008 2:46 pm

I have spent a minimum 7 hours trying to get a Dell support tech to understand my dvd drive needs to be replaced. They have uninstalled many of my software packages - including my old Canon camera software that I no longer have the cd for and Canon doesn't support either... thanks Dell... Anyway, what do they pay those guys? Do they even make a $1 an hour? You would think if you spent 7 hours on the internet and phone with a customer it would be cheaper to just replace the dvd drive... (they're on newegg.com for $29.99). What are they paying these guys that makes this such a big deal? Dell Support is the most inefficient organization I've ever dealt with. They even tried to sell me a deal where I could talk to an American - I told them I already paid for their extended support, why would I pay more? This isn't a racial issue or anything, I don't care what nationality they guy is, I just need a new dvd drive!

Apr 23, 2008 3:23 pm

I had basically the same problem and dell totally ignored me.I called in as i have many times to customer care and tech support only to get ppl who r'nt any better than me when it comes to computers. They told me i was entitled to a system exchange and all the info was taken down and i was told it took 7 days to receive the new 1 but then next day i get a call not going to get it it was turned down. My comp is under warranty until 2009 and i was told by tech support it is my memory and they cant do nothing about it piss poor business if u ask me.I have satelitte and have had my receiver act up i called and within 2 days have a brand new updated one at my door not dell. My comp is totally useless to me have to use neighbors as i was told to delete all my stuff and i even had it trashed so another person couldnt get info and now im doomed with no comp. My advice is DO NOT BUY A DELL.

10:04 am

Dell - lack of customer service

I recently applied for a dell business account. I was told it would take 6 hrs to process but since it was 5 pm on march 11th i would be contacted the next day. I waited and waited and then called on the 17th only to find out that since my company owes no money to anyone that i had no credit history with equifax which i dont understand since i deal with major bank and payed off 6 figure some in 5 yrs nonetheless when i asked them to contact my bank they said we dont do that sir(this was for a $499 computer by the way) and that i would have to buy it personally. This was not possible since i could not deduct the expense on my business. He said i would have to do it that way but when i asked him why did it take so long to find out and why did i have to call the phone went dead.I sent emails to both customer service and the sales person who sent me email saying so u wanna buy dell? all to no avail. My suggestion buy a computer from someone named ex: harrys computer emporium you might end up with some real customer service something DELL IS SERIOUSLY LACKING.

2:09 am

Dell - theft. on tc

Respected Sir

This is Varaprasad Giddi from Pune, Maharastra.

Sir I am the citizen of Andhra Pradesh, and I come from the district called East Godaveri. P.Gannavaram. Sir I have been studying in Pune, Maharastra.

Sir recently when I came home for the Christmas vacation, and while I was coming back to Pune in the running train somebody robbed my belongings and in the baggage I have my laptop also which is Rs 50,000 of worth. I complained but nobody responded to my complaint. I was traveling from Rajahmandry to Pune in Konark Express 1020, S7 on 7th of January, it was Monday morning between 4 to 5:30 am some robbers cut the chain and robbed all my belongings in that baggage I have important documents also. I strongly believe that the TC of that train also involved in it. Kindly help me I have none to contact. Please take my request into consideration. I will be thankful to the government of Andhra Pradesh and to you all. I will be glad to give you required information.

Sincerely

Varaprasad Giddi

7:37 am

Dell - defective computer

I have a defective computer with a 3 year warranty that is good until August 2008. I have been on the telephone with their consumer resolutions for 2 months. After numerous test on the computer with their technicians in Phillipeans and India nothing has bee done. Around 2 weeks ago I was speaking with Hamamma in India and she was sending a local technician to my home to replace the viedo card and hard drive, after she decided that we were not getting my computer fixed long distance. I was leaving on vacation so she said call when I returned because I had to be there for them to come withing 3 days or the order would be cancelled. I called her twice and e-mailed also with no return call or E-mail and was finally contacted by some one named Siddharth Rep ID 01127682 who e-mailed and did call Feb. 8 at 2:25pm. I did not know he was to call then so I was not at home. He said he would call again today and I have waited all day for his call. I probably live within 20 miles of a new Dell plant and this is the service I get. What good is a 3 year warranty if you can't find some one to honor it. I do not know what else to do. Do you have any suggestion? Any help will be appreciated. Also everything has to be done on their schedule and I have other things to do besides waiting by the telephone for a call that never comes.

Marilyn Martin
2733 Martin St
P.O. Box 117
Walkertown, NC 27051
336-595-2631

12:00 am

Dell - lost my free financing

Recently, my tell financial bill informed me that I had lost my free financing which was supposed to be on until 6/08 but had been terminated as of 12/07. They say it's due to late bills (one in November I HAD paid but due to all they're outsourcing they were unable to communicate with collections-I answered call to collect for 4 weeks). Now, my interest rate is 28.45% and they started it at the beginning of the loan. Currently, I owe more than I originally paid for the lap top. I contacted them by phone, unable to get anyone in Austin-only outsourced Indian employees-who informed me I had to write in order to contact anyone higher up then she. I have sent a letter, including signed receipt required and tracking ability. Is there anything I can do-I'm a single mother trying to get a college degree?

10 comments
E
Nov 07, 2011 5:58 pm

I recently purchased two items from Dell online, a DLP projector and a XPS laptop. The purchases were made separately, but both appeared at the same time on my Dell bill that was mailed to me. The laptop had a no interest for 12 months promotion, whereas I'd would not have to pay interest at all if I paid it off completely before the promotional expiration date. A minimum monthly payment still would apply for the laptop. The projector had no such promotion and would require immediate payment in full to avoid a finance charge.

My plan was to pay the full balance that was due on the projector and to pay the minimum required payment towards the laptop. My worry was that they'd credit the payment towards the laptop first, then what was leftover towards the projector. After reading a note under the Finance Charge Summary section of the bill, I was sure all would go fine. It stated' PAYMENTS ARE APPLIED FIRST TO MINIMUM REQUIRED PAYMENTS WITH EXCESS TO CREDIT PLANS IN ORDER OF PROMOTION EXPIRATION DATE.

There actually is a column that lists the Promotional Expiration Dates of the different plan types. The projector (REGULAR LOAN) was not a promotion and it did not have an entry in the PED column. The laptop had a date approximately 12 months out. In my logical-thinking mind, I assumed that after both minimum payments were credited, the rest of my payment would go towards the projector and it would be fully paid for.

I scheduled an electronic payment and it was credited to my account. Unfortunately, my worst fears were realized, the excess payment was credited to the laptop, THE ACCOUNT WITH 12 MOS NO INT. Needless to say, I was fuming. I immediately got on the phone to India to straighten it out. I was assured that it would be resolved and my payment re-credited to the correct plans.

What really upsets me is how incompetent companies can be. Do they pull these kind of stunts on purpose? I'm starting to think so. With the order in which they credited the plans on this last bill, I would've had to COMPLETELY PAY OFF BOTH PLANS to avoid a finance charge. So much for 12 MONTHS NO INTEREST.

Sep 07, 2009 6:18 pm

We purchased two Dell desktops in Dec '08 on the 9-month no interest program. We made payments faithfully each month repaying the entire balance by the end of June '09. However, they screwed up the account and kept charging intereset. We called the customer service line multiple times. Each time they assured us that the account had been corrected. Eventually, they did get it set to 9 month no interest - on the same statement that noted the final payment received. Yet there was still an outstanding balance of $25. Then they started with the automated calls to remind us. When we talked to them again, they forwarded it to the disputes department. They now say that the amount is still due. When I called the final time, I talked to a "Rick Smith" (with an Indian accent). He then transfered me to "Jeff Smith" (also with an Indian accent). Neither of these people could look up the notes made on my account on previous calls (the "dispute" department cannot look at the details like "customer service" can). I asked if I could call back to the customer service number. He said I could try. Now I know what he meant. If I try to call from my home phone, the automated system pretends to connect me to a customer service person but then hangs up. If I call from a different phone, I can get to a live person but as soon as I identify myself by account number they hang up. What a crock!

Mar 07, 2009 10:19 am

Wow, I noticed there was a lot of complaints about DFS, and I should of read them before opening an account.

Well, I opened a DFS Preferred account in November 2017. With this account I purchased a laptop for my wife's Christmas gift and a Sony DSLR for my personal gift. I never received a bill until January. My total on the account was almost $1300. I paid the account off in full in the first week of Feb. 2017.

We were out of town on the second week of Feb. and we have received at least 20 calls per day on our answering machine from DFS - all automated calls seeking to collect on a debt. Talk about harassment! On top of it, the account was paid off! So, that day we came back home, the phone rang. I answered it and it was some idiot from Inda calling on behalf of DFS. I advised him that the account has been paid in full over a week ago, and I did not appreciate the harrassment, and the SOB hung up on me!

At this point, I emailed Dell's customer service to file a complaint. 48 hours later, I get an email from a character named Romeo pretty much saying that I was late on my payment (I was not!), thus the calls. No apology was offered, and that SOB pretty much justified the jerk's behavior on the phone. I was FUMING at this point, and I started an executive complaint -- this was a mistake.

I sent an email to both [email protected] and [email protected], and instead of receiving a response from the Almighty himself, I get an email from an outsourced team that handles executive complaints (damn Dell, do you do anything for yourselves?). Some screwed up name that I can't pronounce, but she called herself Cathy. Next day, she calls me on the phone and we talk. The conversation felt genuine, and during the conversation I asked her "So, what is Dell going to do to mend relationships with me? Getting extremely poor customer service twice, I took that as a personal insult!" Then the conversation went sour. "Sir, your account was flagged as a late payment." At this time I blew up.

"No, it was not late! In fact, I paid it off in FULL!" Then she started to go off about DFS policies, etc. I had to remind her 3 times that this does not give DFS the right to treat their customers the way they treated me. She then finally said "Well, this whole incident was your fault, and Dell will not compensate you for your frustrations." Then she had the balls to email me a followup.

Well, I responded to that email and courtesy copied several other executives, including the president over North America and the company's CMO, and attached read receipts to the email as well. Never got one from her, but I did get some attention from the executives. 72 hours later, I get an email from Cathy saying that she can issue me a $75 coupon for my next purchase. I'm tired of arguing because my frustrations were worth WAY more than $75 (I demanded a 40%-50% off of my next purchase, or a substantial amount of credit). I felt that my frustrations were worth $75 TIMES the amount of times I was slapped in the face, but I was tired of aruging and accepted it.

I am going to close my DFS account and start making purchases on my trusty bank VISA. At least I know that the person I will deal with is local, and not in India. The only way that Dell is going to learn from this is either by bankrupting Dell, or forcing business to come back to the states by letting Pakistan and India go to war and obliterate each other.

Michael Dell is truly a coward, but a typical American businessman. No wonder why this country is in trouble financially.

N
Jan 05, 2009 11:54 am

I have used Dell in the past for personal use and my company set up a Dell Preffered account to buy new techonology. With that said I will NEVER use them again. I would rather pull out my teeth than deal with any of their customer service agents. As the technology buyer of my company I will be taking my technology needs elsewhere. Regardless if I made the mistake or they did they are impossible to work with. I do not recommend them to anyone unless you want a headache.

Sep 22, 2009 9:09 am

They'll do absolutely anything to make a buck or save a buck. They hired, for security at their plants, the same company that was in charge of airline screening where the 9/11 hijackers got on their flights.

May 21, 2009 9:06 pm

1 - Please take your time to read more about ID theft in USA. 2- United States citizen should read ALL TERMS AND CONDITIONS BEFORE applying for an acct.
3- Your are talking about "trouble financially" . Companies are looking for a way to pay less to their employees without outsoucing their businesses this cant happen.
4-Most of the people that have thick accent is because they do speak more languages...HOW MANY LANGUAGES DO YOU SPEAK?
5- Take your time to review a World MAP not all countries are call INDIA only one does.
6- Open your mind there are so many beautiful things outside USA...CENTRAL AMERICA AND SOUTH AMERICA exist...and bad news for you THEY ARE ALSO AMERICANS...

Jun 18, 2008 8:01 am

I will encourage our company not to do business with Dell any longer. I am a fiscal adminstrator and find that Dell's practices are very unethical in as far as getting help in the USA. All of their customer service reps are in India. A check that was mailed in April was lost in the mail it never ran through our bank account. I did not know that until after I made 4 calls and spoke to different people in India, which took one hour of my time and more. In the meantime we have been charged financial charge after finance charge. A rep from India calls every two days, which I feel is harassment. The reps from India are limited in the English language and it is like talking to a recording almost as they repeat the same thing over and over again "this conversation is recorded, etc, etc." but no one can help as far as having access to Invoice Numbers in order to get descrepancies corrected.

To find out that one of the checks did get lost int he mail should not take one hour plus. I was able to get someone in the states on the phone and I was able to make a phone payment. However getting the right personal to helpme took 45 minutes.

Jun 11, 2008 11:51 am

I have owned a dell computer, of which i have been financing through dell financial services, since 2017. The original cost of the computer was about $699. My interest rate is around 29% and i pay a minimum of $65 a month. After 5 years of paying this same minimum payment, my account balance is over $1600 and i probably paid over 5 times the amount i paid for the computer already. I usually pay on time, but boy if you try to pay online one day before the bill is due, they wont process it for like 5 days. So, i then get tagged with a hige late fee. Dell wont do a thing about it. I have written letters and called them up, asking to either lower my interest rate or let me pay off the rest with 0%, and they pretty much turn the other cheek. Its a joke.

May 27, 2008 2:54 pm

I would like to know how Dell gets away with charging such high Interest . When their computers cost are higher than other computers. They are not worth the money they charge. I want to know how to report them to get the interest lower. 29% is outrages. I have called them and they could care less. The only solution I have is to go to either a company which will make a settlement with them or to a credit counsel and have the interest lowered.

Mar 18, 2008 2:08 pm

Dell is doing the same thing to me. It would be good to check out the FTC fair debt collection act

Section 806 subsection 5
Causing a telephone to ring or engaging any person
in telephone conversation repeatedly or continuously
with intent to annoy, abuse, or harass any person at the
called number.

If the above happins file a complaint with the FTC and Attorney General.

Dell - poor performance!

I own a 1st generation XPS laptop (alias “Baby”). I purchased Baby as a refurbished model. This March my 3-year extended warranty will expire. I'm in a quandary about renewing it. Other than a worn audio jack (which I caused by heavy use), my Baby works like a champ. So far I got my money’s worth from Baby’s dependability and sturdiness. I’m a power guy and I need a “portable desktop”. Now three months before my warranty expires my Baby goes “kaput”. Dell Technical Support was called.

Baby (being blessed) has never had an emergency with Dell Technical Support. For 33-months, Baby was never in dire need of repair. Within Baby is my working dissertation. Mind you, just two days work is not replicated on a Seagate portable drive. Those two days of work may be a curse. Here is my story. I call it The Curse of Case Number XXXXXX5979.

It began on Jan 13, 2008. My late evening chat with a Dell Technical Support was quite interesting. They had me pulling out my RAM, Disk Drive, and other parts to do “shot gun” troubleshooting. For those of you not familiar with the term, it’s when you take a WAG (Wild %#@ Guess) by isolating the problem component by removing it. Well, the WAG pointed to the motherboard. Quite understandable it was a “Post” problem. The “idiot lights” lit-up then go off less then a second. I felt comfortable with the Dell Technical Support diagnosis of it being a motherboard problem. A dispatch was created to remove and replace the motherboard.

On Jan 15, the motherboard arrived. However, the local Dell Technical Support could not fit me in his busy schedule. No issues, I’ll just have to wait a day.

On the next day (Jan 16), the local Dell Technical Support technician met me at my work site and proceeded to take apart my poor Baby. I never saw her spread across a table in pieces before. I watch him perform this task in amazement. I believed it was taking a toll on him when he had to remove a part that he previously installed. My Baby was put together. And better yet, with no remaining parts! At the moment of truth, the “Post” problem still persisted. Additional “shot gun” troubleshooting was performed. I was disappointed that problem was not resolved. The Dell Technical Support technician proclaimed that the processor was bad. This technician was really quirky. He actually insulted the on phone Dell Technical Support due his difficulty in understanding the heavy accented female on the other end of the phone. She was only trying to assist him. A new dispatch was created. This Dell Technical Support technician balked at the chance to fix my 33-month old Baby. He referred her to a more cunning technician close to my home location.

Alas, two days have passed (Jan 18). I went online to Dell’s Technical Support website to get a status on my latest dispatch number. I looked at it. Low and behold, I was snow delayed! Funny, how I looked outside then looked at the terminal and repeated this action several times. I just raised my hands and said “It must be snow delayed on the other end”.

That weekend, my Baby sat on the cold floor of my home office as a door stop.

Bright and early Monday (Jan 21), I called the Dell Technical Support to get a status on my latest-latest dispatch. To my disbelief, the dispatch was canceled. It seems that the cunning Dell Technical Support technician was unaware of the worksite and home location switch. The note on the canceled dispatch said “no contact information for customer”. The parts were promptly returned to sender. I quickly gave a piece of my mind with whom ever I could contact via telephone and email. I was rest assured that this does not normally happen. It was written up as a “wrong queuing” issue. There were miscommunication or the lack of communications between the quirky and cunning Dell Technical Support technicians.

The cunning Dell Technical Support technician was very apologetic on Jan 23, No clear explanation was given in why the parts were shipped back. The appointment time was prematurely set for the next day. The replacement processor was not in hand, but he made the extra effort to keep a time slot open for my Baby.

On the morning of Jan 24, the cunning Dell Technical Support technician called me at work and confirmed when my Baby was going to be looked at. I promptly went home to await the Dell Technical Support technician. Twenty minutes into the time slot, he arrived. Again, my Baby was treated like a car wreck. Spread across a well lighted kitchen island in unrecognizable pieces. I watched carefully as my Baby was being rebuilt. One thing that was missing from the Baby’s emergency kit was thermal grease. After the trip to his car, he applied it onto the processor. I remember seeing him tighten the processor lock. Not once, but twice.

The climax of the rebuild fizzled. The “Post” problem shot down the confidence of another Dell Technical Support technician. This cunning technician called the phone Technical Support to get additional advice. Again, the heavy accented support person can be heard giving out mumbled instructions. At one point, the cunning technician became upset. A mumbled voice can be heard telling him to re-tighten the processor. He adamantly proclaimed the processor is hard to access; “I definitely did tighten down the processor”. I agreed with him. I saw it with my own eyes in what he did. Finally, the dreaded words were spoken “Is the customer acceptable with the idea of sending the laptop to depot?” I unquestionable said I have no objections. The cunning technician indicated that Baby will be looked over with a fine tooth comb. It made me feel better that my Baby was going to be looked at by specialists. Laptop and power adapter must be sent to depot. A replacement power adapter will be sent along with a return laptop kit.

The power adapter was received on Jan 25. I as questioning why the return kit was not delivered at the same time. A call was made to the Dell Technical Support. They assured me that it was on its way. Just wait one more day. If it’s not there in the afternoon, call again to correct the issue, if its an issue.

Jan 26, I kept peering outside my porch. At 4 PM I called Dell Technical Support. They looked and looked. No return kit was ever sent. Really? You figured that out a day late? The latest-latest-latest dispatch was created for another return kit.

Its still the Jan 26, thirteen days since my Baby developed a “Post” problem. I casually started to look at my email on Baby’s older brother (Sony Viao). Great, a new email from Dell, maybe a new status! But wait, this time, an order confirmation. I read on. It seems my call to Dell Technical Service generated this. Apparently, this phone Technical Support (one time incident as it says) was for a problem resolution on an expired warranty. That did it. This was no longer a simple case. This case has been cursed since Baby went belly up.

I promptly called Dell Technical Support and issued a formal complaint. Why charge me for a service call when Baby has a valid warranty? No one could explain it to me. I spoke to a Dell Technical Support manager. He was very apologetic. He asked what he can do for me. I told him point blank. Fix your Technical Support processes. The delays have accumulated due to process screw ups. I told him it may be that the people are not being properly trained or following process directives. They surely can’t be semi-intelligent employees, there are just too many of them working at the same company. It’s has to be the process that Dell has in place, No checks and balances. A simple lookup at my express service code will reveal my warranty is still valid. Multiple orders are just that. Item are shipped in more that one box. As the Dell Technical Support manager puts it, “I agree with your frustration. It’s not normal occurrence with your delays”. After that he was very quite on the other end...

Thirteen days and counting, I’m taking bets on when my baby is getting fixed. I figure the good money will be after Feb 6 2008, unless the curse says otherwise. I wonder what is in store for baby at depot and her return trip home. Yes, it not a normal occurrence, it’s the curse of Case Number XXXXXX5979.

To be continued...

Jun 12, 2009 5:37 pm

I've had a similar problem. When my computer stopped booting up I contacted Dell and it took over a month to get the initial problem fixed. I endured my service tag being transfered to the UK (I'm from the US, bought the computer in the US, and have never asked for the tag to be changed), someone cancelling my warranty (and then claiming I asked him to do it), over 3 hours on the phone, about 10 different chat sessions with computer technicians, and technicians unwilling to accept that I would not and will not ever open the computer myself. It wasn't until I threated to sue Dell over false advertising/claims that they finally dedicated one person to my case who, eventually, will get my computer in proper working condition.
If you have similar problems I suggest looking at any emails you've gotten. If a technician failed me, I clicked on the link provided in their email which allows you to email thier superior. I simply kept doing that until I found someone who could help. Also, it never hurts to threaten legal action and to do it from your law firm's email account.

Feb 18, 2009 1:40 pm

I'm currently working on getting my case notes. As far as i can gather, India is unable/unwilling to provide them. Two managers there referred me to customer service (always closed) so I emailed them off the website. The reply I got was vague, so I just requested a confirmation that my request was forwarded to the proper department. If this doesn't work, I'm going through to the privacy officer (his email is listed on Dell.ca). If i have any luck, I will post an update

M
Feb 13, 2009 6:01 am

I just came across this post while looking for a link to how to make a formal complaint to Dell and also to demand a copy of the case notes for my "support" case, I've been keeping a tally of how many promises I have recieved that haven't been kept...the count is now at 27. I bought an XPS 730 (the flagship desktop machine from Dell) and it died six months after purchase, to cut a long story short there were many engineer visits to no avail and eventually it was agreed that they couldn't fix it and would replace...it is that replacement that I fear I may never see :( It's been over six weeks now since the original died...it's not unreasonable is it to be a bit miffed about that? I mean...it's not as if I used it for software development to pay the bills or anything is it? Oh wait...no...actually I did.

S
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I bought a computer from Dell last summer for 1815.77 and financed it for three months of free interest. Big mistake, as this means dealing with Dell Financial. I paid through Visa in full in Oct. of 2007. Visa paid Dell Computer. Dell Computer still has my full payment. Dell Financial (DFS) went into my bank account and took payments in Nov and Dec. ...

12:00 am

Dell - false collection from dell

It all started when I received a email notification from Dell Inc. The sale was for flat screen TV's and my company has been thinking of purchasing one for our power point presentations, display of items in our catalog etc...

After choosing the desired TV I ordered a Sony Bravia 40", DVD recorder and a service plan.

I applied for credit and was approved.

1 week went by and I was told the TV was on back order. Then I was called and told that it would be shipping on 11/01/98.

Then I was called and said my order was cancelled because my home/office did not have a land phone to verify who I was they would and could not except me from my cell phone.

The order was cancelled. However, the service plan was not!

And now my nightmare begins...

I called nearly 15 departments and was shuffled for nearly 2 hours on 1 day, no one seems to want to work outside the box. I was transfered finally to Dell's Resolution department in Austin, Texas and spoke to a guy named Aaron. He promised me he was going to cancel out the service plan from my account considering Dell never sent me the TV nor can you see anywhere they sent one.

It is now December 21st 2007 and I get a call everyday from Dell Collection. Every day I explain that the Order was cancelled and I asked if they can see a charge for $1300 anywhere on my account along with the $379.00 for the service plan. They can not.

I ask: If you only see a charge for $379, what do you think the charge was for? Their response is always the same: fax us, call us, send us the info. I have written a complaint letter to Michael Dell the beginning of December, I have written emails to my Customer service rep. still no one will help me.

Today was the best:

I asked: what is the charge for? The Indian Man said you bought a service plan.

I asked: What was the plan for?

He said: a TV.

I asked: Do you see the balance or purchase price of the TV on my account?

Indian man said: No.

I asked: Why would I only have $379 on a credit account with out the Television?

Indian man said: I dont know, I cant help you, you need to call...you need to fax...

I asked: Do you have a manager?

Indian Man: Yes, he'll have to call you back.

======

It seems this team of collection agents do not have any records of my account. 6 days a week including Saturdays Dell Collection department calls and tells me I am behind on my service plan payment for my 40" Sony Bravia...Meanswhile I dont own one!

======

They have used up nearly 652 minutes by calling me.

======

The shame of all this is I have purchased 3 desk tops, 3 note books,1 Palm from them since 1997. The do not care about past purchases. My loyalty means nothing to them. All of their employees do not want to work outside of their box to solve this problem. Instead they call me everyday, read the notes of my more than 30 converations and still ask? Mr. Russo...when can we expect your $35.00! Your past due!

FIRST PURCHASE INFORMATION IS BELOW, ORIGINAL PURCHASE 40" FLAT SCREEN, DVD RECORDER & 3 YEAR SERVICE PLAN:

Order Information

Est. Delivery Date: 12/4/2007-12/6/2007

Carrier: Data Temporarily Unavailable

Tracking Number: Data Temporarily Unavailable

Quantity Item Number Description Unit Price

1 466-6310 Ground Delivery only. LCD TVs 40 inches and larger can not be expedited $0.00

Order shipped email signup

Request a Return

View My Orders

Associated Order(s)

Because different parts of your order may ship separately, you may have several order numbers. Below are all the other items that make up your full order.

Associated Orders

Items Per Page: all

2000xxxxxxxxxxxx

Bravia KDL- 40S3000 40in HD-LCD Television

11/25/2007 Canceled N/A

12:00 am

Dell - dell laptop has been one of the most stressful if not worse investments I ever made

I sent this letter with a copy of the search showing 4400complaints against Dell to the Federal Trade Commission

JUDY PERRONE, CMA RMA

Round Rock, Texas 78682

RE: Inferior Products

Customer service

Dear Mr. Dell:

The purchase of a Dell laptop has been one of the most stressful if not worse investments I ever made.

After spending hours on top of hours and not to mention numerous emails with your customer service over the past 3 years in reference to a Dell Inspiron 5120 laptop, I purchased in 2004, I felt it was necessary to make and take the time out of my busy schedule to inform you of what is going on with your products. The dilemma is where to start.

Let's start from the ordering process:

1. Marketing stated no interest/ no payment for one year. False. After tedious hours of arguing with your customer service, it took a class action against Dell to resolve the problem. Not a good thing!

2. The unit was ordered with an internal wireless unit. Never put in. When I called to complain your customer service told me to go out and buy a key and they would reimburse me. Again, after hours of arguing, they sent me an external key. Not what I wanted, never worked properly and very delicate. Not what I paid for from the beginning.

3. The wall adapter would get extremely hot. My significant other is a firefighter and he feared that that the unit would start a fire. Your customer service refused to replace the defective unit�so we replaced it ourselves out of fear.

4. I then had problems trying to connect to my wireless internet. After speaking with Linkys�they determined that it was a Dell problem. Again it took endless hours to repair the problem�just to try to get someone that we could comprehend on the phone was very trying.

5. In April of 2007, the unit would not hold a charge. Again, after many trying phone calls and the costly replacement of a new battery and again another adapter, the unit had to be returned to Dell, and we finally received authorization. Please reference attached work order. The unit was returned.

6. About a month ago, the problem reappeared. I try to explain this in an email to your customer service to no satisfaction. I tried to call but I do not have the time to hold on forever to your customer service lines. Waiting times of at least 15 minutes. Doesn't indicate a good thing. That many problems!

7. I took the unit to a local Circuit City. Lo and behold there were four other Dell Laptops experiencing the same problem. The Firedogs checked out my unit. It was determined that it is an inherent problem. The same exact problem as before.

8. I phoned your customer service today. To no avail they won't replace the unit because the warranty expired 9/30.07. I became very angry and tried to explain to this robotic person on the other end�that the problem is inherent and the same as in May. It was never repaired properly. He 'David' very insultingly tried to convince that parts don't go bad in 6 months. Baloney! It was probably a refurbished part in the first place! New Jersey Lemon Law applies to products as well as cars.

9. I asked to speak to his supervisor and all he could repeat was that the unit was not under warranty. I know that and if the problem had originally happened after the expired warranty there would not have been a problem now. I just would never replace it with another Dell.

10. 'David' informed he that there is no one higher than him. I laughed and asked if he was Mr. Dell. I asked for the corporate office�he informed than that there weren't any. Imagine that!

11. He said he would have the 'executive office' phone me. I almost believe that!

Needless to say, I am frustrated, disgusted and want the unit replaced.

Everything that you list on your customer commitment has been totally negated. It is most unfortunate that I know at least ten people that have had the same problems with Dell units, customer service and satisfaction.

I would apologize for contacting you personally but I can't. It is very hard to communicate with people (your customer service) whose verbal skills do not meet the standards of Americans.

Thanking you in advance for your time and consideration to this matter.

Yours truly,
Judy Perrone

S
12:00 am

Dell - no proper functioniung of microsoft vista

Thsi system we havee purchase one month back.
Within few days of installation your servicee engineer Sylesh visited the system asnd addjusted the internet options. Sincee then we are unable to access the broad band connection properly.
We have made several calls to your service center but no action has been taken from your side.
Recently all the documents in my documents in drive C vanished
In Paint Text is not comming.
CD is not accessable either for reading or for recording.
Frequently system is hanging
There are no hard disk partitions.

Set right the issues mentioned above immediatly.

5 comments
Nov 11, 2009 10:07 pm

Well...at least it's nice to read something that is grammatically correct. I was beginning to wonder if this site was a terrorist site designed to look like dumb Americans who can speak English trying to degrade Microsoft and Dell, but at least this last complaint is coherent. And...I agree. I bought a Dell Studio and installed Microsoft Vista 64, why the 4 is below the text line is weird to me, but I digress, anyway...I think it's the worst decision I ever made. I've been using PC's since the IBM PC, then IBM PC XT and IBM AT. Significant improvements in hard drives, RAM and obviously when the internet came along, the speed in the internet. But of all the computers I ever had, they were slower mind you, but they worked. My Dell with Windows Vista has been the most frustrating experience I've ever had with a PC. Disruptive pop-ups, programs just suddenly not working, changes in MS Office that offer so much flexibility that you can't figure out how to do the things that used to be simple. What a bunch of crap! I used to make videos on an AMIGO (Formerly Commodore) 15 years ago and had better success, though admittedly slightly less artistic appeal, than I do today with Pinnacle Studio 12 on a Dell with Microsoft Vista. I think something happened with the groups from Microsoft and the Developers of Pinnacle. They used to work well together to ensure the product worked well, but with Windows Vista 64, it seems a lot was over-looked, and still no one is caring, working to resolve the issues because for the last 8 months I still get the same error message saying Microsoft will look for a resolution and notify when they find something. Hmmm...no response from Microsoft in over a year now. I used to love Microsoft and Dell, they had good people working hard to find solutions, but now it seems that they just want to sell the next version of software and don't care about those of us trying to make a living with the crap they sold us yesterday.

Oct 14, 2009 8:47 pm

DO NOT BUY DELL! YOU WILL BE VERY SORRY...TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. You are a NUMBER only and will get the royal run around. Promises made...NOT kept! Terrible experince with VISTA...Run fast if you hear the words DELL or VISTA! People tried to warn me not to purchase a Dell product...I should have listened to them. I now work FREE for Dell..everytime my computer has problems - which is at least once a week, (slow, disconnect from internet, programs do not run, etc.) I am then "trouble shooting the problem on MY TIME (after being connected to at least 4 or 5 "supervisors") I spend HOURS on the computer and telephone with so-called Dell "techs" tring to "fix" the problems Vista couses. New computer-Dell will not stand by their product. They will not replace Vista with an operating system that works. I paid over 2, 000.00 for this piece of CRAP!
Dell should be ashamed of themselves...they have created a company without a soul.

Jan 31, 2008 1:18 pm

We have been a happy Co. with Dell units.

We have a car club for 40 years. We made our club a charty club to help little children, with ony medecal things that are bad. The familys need help also. So we have a show one a year and ALL funds to to the person we listed to help. I would like to know if we could ask you for some help. We get things from companys and we post ther name as much as we can all over New Jersey. The show will bring in around 5,000.00 People. I think it would be a good time for Dell to set up a vender stand for us too.

My Phone # [protected] Or E-Mail [email protected]

Robert Grimal

Q
Dec 28, 2007 4:31 am

Spot on... Dell's customer service is apalling. Very incompetent staff. Took me about 3 months to sort out an issue with them delivering the wrong printer. They are very reluctant to forward calls to senior staff but eventually I got through to their customer care department who took swift action. Highly recommend you speak to their Customer Care.

Nov 18, 2007 10:17 am

The dell service is very bad. They have recruited under qualified people for the service job and the quality of service is very poor.

12:00 am

Dell - dell hard drive failure... again

Just FYI, my wonderful piece of @!#$ Dell Laptop computer (service tag 8GF7521) has failed again. This is the second hard drive that has crashed and 4th time I lost everything on this computer. Once again, I am without a personal computer. The computer showed no recent signs of a possible problem.(although It did have a colorful past).

This morning I woke up to find the "Blue Screen of Death" on my computer. Upon re-boot all my hard drive did was make loud scratching noises, then the screen displayed "no hard drive could be found". I have an older back-up, but still lost thousands of man hours in research, music and photos. I had supposedly the best virus software available "BitDefender", but that remains to be seen. Windows is an unstable OS and I am done wasting my time talking with Dell technical support VIA India. Windows and Dell computers should come with an automatic back-up and free external hardrive, as both have proven to be as dependable as a wet paper bag.

Pretty sad that all my online time with this computer has been for my email and reading CNN and MSNBC news. Everything else was documents I composed offline. Needless to say, my laptop is the last Dell product, and Windows based computer I will ever own,. I strongly recommend you all do the same, unless you enjoy losing all your work every few months and spending countless hours with Indian technical support and reinstalling software. I am going to purchase a Mac as soon as I am financially able (which is a long way off) As a result, please limit any and all email as I can only check it once and a while from work.

I am going to forward this to Apple so they can use this email however them seem fit.

Jun 04, 2008 8:38 am

I had got inspiron1420 dell laptop.It came with an inbuilt Vista OS.But i had removed the OS and installed XP.When I installed XP i could get few drivers from the online.But i couldn't get the graphic driver to be installed in XP.Because of this video quality is poor and display is not good too.And also i couldn't play any graphical games too in my laptop.So please say me a remedy to this issue.I want the graphical driver to be installed in my INSPIRON1420 DELL laptop.So please say me a remedy.
Expecting your reply at the earliest...

N
Apr 29, 2008 1:50 am

I have hardly used my dell inspiron 1525 and the motherboard has already blown off . I am without the laptop for the last 1 month but the customer care centre and technical support centre refuse to co-operate and speed up tha matter . First of all, I have to wait endlessly for the customer care to pick up my calls .Then they tell me that the part is not available in India and so I am waiting endlessly for the part and engineer's visit . Dell laptops are the worst . I will not recommend anyone in TCS to buy a Dell laptop . It will be the most harrowing experience if You happen to buy a Dell laptop by any chance .

K
Dec 19, 2007 7:04 pm

I have applied for two laptops, one is for amandeep singh, and second is for me. On the same day and same time through one cheque. NOw the cheque has been cleared and till date only one laptop is delievered and second is not which is for me. I am daily mailing to mahesh badam and abhiruchi. But even they ar not replying on email and not picking up their phones. so they are working with dell india a very big reputed company, but they do not know how to attend customers. So I am requesting you to kindly take necessary action against them and delivered the laptop. My order no is 2279392. Otherwise I am having all proofs that your company people are harrasing me and not delievring the laptop. Waiting for the positive response. That is of dell india.

Dell - piece of junk

Dell Computers - www.Dell.com

My complaint seems to be one many have. I got my Dell computer almost two years ago and from around the fourth month I have had issues with it. First the power supply, then thermal issues modem issues all along and because I didn't have the funds to extend my warranty I am in a mess.

They will do lots for you but with a price and they do not stand by there product. Did I mention that I have replaced the power supply three times and that to make the computer run I am going to have to replace the board and processor.

Clearly it is manufacture defect. The tech guy who was on the phone with me for a very long time tried to get his supervisors to replace the whole system was shot down by them, and told to direct me to out of warranty where there is a price on everything.

I have stupidly recommended there product to many family members and friends (something I will correct in the next few days). I made the biggest mistake of my life getting this computer. I usually build my own and then I know what I am getting. I took a short cut and now am paying the price. Really Paying. We live and learn.

The XPS is not as fast and strong as advertised and I know.

If only one person decides to buy another brand of computer then I will feel like I did something for mankind.

This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Dell canada - www.dell.ca I read the post titled dell hell, and I feel like I am walking hand in hand with that customer... I cannot believe so many people are facing the same insanity with unresponsive customer service representatives and countless hours logged on the telephone, to only be told repeatedly that there is nothing dell can do to fix the me...

Dell contacts