Having problems with CyberDefender?

CyberDefender reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Sep 4, 2008. The latest review Unauthorized charge was posted on Oct 9, 2015. The latest complaint RIPOFF! was resolved on Jun 18, 2011. CyberDefender has an average consumer rating of 4 stars from 40 reviews. CyberDefender has resolved 30 complaints.

CyberDefender Customer Service Contacts

1541 Ocean Ave., Suite 200
Santa Monica, California

CyberDefender Complaints & Reviews

CyberDefenderUnauthorized charge

I do not have an account number, date of incident, etc. I just discovered (my fault for not paying attention) that I am being charged for cyberdefender on my card. I remember downloading this and had to immediately cancel bc it did not work with my computer. It froze my computer. I cancelled and got a new computer. Should have paid closer attention that I was being charged. Researched and I have been charged for this product several times. I researched and found an email address to contact cyberdefender. It bounced back saying unknown address. I tried the number on my statement - not a working number. I also read that a reminder is sent to our email before billing. I have Never received an email reminder and I have had the same address for 10 years. This would have alerted me that I was still being charged for a product I was never able to use. My email is [protected]@columbus.rr.com and don't know if I can be found under Phil or Kim deRoche. Refund and close account immediately.

• Za
      Zackary Bee Sep 02, 2020

I am in the same situation, my credit card was randomly charged by cyberdefender, ive never even been sent an email, and ive been living in the same house for 15 years.
      I do not know why this happening, and would like to see this resolved, other wise I will call my bank.

Cyber DefenderWe refuse to pay anything

We got "free computer" scan information phone # off
    computer. We were told we had over 1300 errors on our computer and the cost to remove would be $39.00.
    We agreed, provided visa #. We were immediately charged $69. When we called their customer service after finding out our worked very slowly after their suppposed fix costing $69. We were charged another
    $389 immediatelly on our visa card. Supposedley we
    have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. We areNOTt
    satisfied! Customer sesrvice refuses to honor their
    guarantee and we have had it 48 hours. Visa will
    be contacting them on Monday as soon as they are open. We refuse to pay anything.

• Th
        Thetruthsohelpmegod Nov 26, 2011

If people didn't respond to pop up ads, there would be no pop up ads. This review is like complaining your hand hurts each time you hit it with a hammer. Enjoy your free scan.

CyberDefenderStay away

When i initaly called the price on the TV advertisment was 14.95 by the time my slick fast talking salesman had convinced me that 269.95 would give me a year of top service with up to 3 computers in my house, i knew that i would be adding a 2nd computer in my bedroom but it would be a few months, after the dsl service took 6 weeks to get my computer hooked up it was over 3 months but i calles cyberdefinder to "add my 2nd computer" I was then notified of the additional charges..but i stated i was told there would be NO ADDITIONAL CHARGES FOR THE PRICE I PAID, i then was mad and requested to have all software taken off my computer and filed a complaint with my credit card company, long story short i was out of the 3month period to get my money back and i am stuck with a 250.00 charge for something i have already taken off my computer and my credit card company said i have to take them to small clames court !

CyberDefenderAntiVirus Software

Two years ago I purchased CyberDefender and then had to spend an additional $200 to get my computer debugged and cleaned up - software is crap. CyberDefender wanted to charge me $360 to do it online. Last year they renewed without authority and it took 5 months to get the money back on my credit card, which I believe only happened because I continually pursued them. Yesterday I received a renewal notice and replied that I under no circumstances wanted their software. Today I received notice that I was successfully renewed and that they'd charged my card! After waiting on the phone for 45 minutes, I was told they would cancel the charge. Looks like I'm in for another long haul with these con artists. What do I have to do? Cancel my credit card? Change my email address? Vultures!!!

• Ck
            CKSmith Sep 17, 2011

If everyone with these problems would please go to the Better Business Bureau link above and file a complaint, then people like me would be able to check them out BEFORE getting stuck with this software and company. I checked for the MyClean PC that we purchased the Cyber Defender through but got good reviews. (Actually, CyberDefender has a good rating also!) Then, when my husband was having problems and the program was never turning up any problems with my computer (fixed or otherwise) I was getting suspicious. Now, I wish I had known about this complaint site.

CyberDefenderRIPOFF!

###! I had bought Microsoft office. Each week I had to reinstall product key. I looked online and it said it could be a virus. Nope. Thought it could be a registry error. I called Cyberdefender. They ASSURED me they could fix EVERYTHING no question about it. No problem. I paid the $29.99 for the software. I was convinced that I needed their premium support. I spent $239.00 to have a technician remotely access my machine. I woke up in the morning as the tech was going over everything on my pc. In the morning I woke up to a pc that was shut down. I booted up and tried to use OFFICE. It asked for my product key. I installed. I called Cyber defender and was told they DO NOT WORK ON MICROSOFT ISSUES! I demanded a refund and was told they had attempted to fix my p.c. I hit the roof. They gave me at least 6 different 800 numbers to call. Always redirecting me. Typical "wear the consumer down". I do NOT get wore down! i complained over and over. I received a call from their technical staff offering to help with microsoft OFFICE. they refused to refund my money! They contradicted themselves. Lied and committed fraud! STAY AWAY

• Cy
              CYDE Customer Jun 25, 2011

Not surprised. These guys are a joke. Offer the worse service after hard selling customers.

Cyber Defenderbilling

What a rip off. i went to clean my pc and they did a diagonis and of course they had a long list and to fix it I paid 339.98. Then they transfered me to cyberdefender and was told for 129.98 I could have three years of tech support. Wasn't i suprised when i was billed for three payments of 129.98 for a total of 389.97. When I called to cancel and get a refund I was told that that was not possible. There was no one for me to talk to other then this rep. They said they would do a call pull and see if I was told that it would be three payments, and I told him no one ever mentioned 389.98. Nothing can be done now except to warn others

CyberDefenderDid not finish job

Cyberdefender fix my computer. then i had a 1 inch border on the right side of my monitor.then a tech from cyberdefender told me he could fix the monitor problem in a couple of minutes.4 hrs. went by and no one fixed anthing. then i called them to let them know. another tech then tried to fix the monitor. we could not stay connected online together.the computer kept crashing.then i got pissed and said i am not paying for this.2 days later the c drive crashed and now i have no computer. I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR THIS CHARGE!!

• Al
                  alewi May 04, 2011

I recently dealt with this company only to run into the same issues. When they performed their "fix" on my computer it would no longer stay on for more then 5 minutes at a time. It even ran slower then it did before they performed their service on it. For a company commercial called DoubleMySpeed, I found it laughable. When I called tech support to check my status no one could give me a straight answer and was continously told a tech would get back to me in 24 hours, which never happened. I finally found someone that looked at and fixed my computer for free only putting me out the $130 they charged me (I know its still a lot but could have been much worse). That person told me the only thing wrong with my computer was the backdoor software they installed nearly destroyed my hard drive and almost everything else. NEVER USE THEM

CyberDefenderUnethical business practices

I saw the advertisement for Cyberdefender and thought I would give it a try to see if it would make my computer run faster. I called to download the "free" trial. I bought a 2 year subscription for 5 computers with the understanding that if within 30 days I was not satisfied I could get a full refund. Luckily I only installed on one computer because it was a nightmare. I spent numerous hours on the phone with the support techs (and of course getting to the support techs) but it was a calamity. I called to get my refund and am still waiting for the return calls from two different customer service reps who "promised" they would call. This is not an honorable company.

• Ob
                    obsteve Aug 27, 2011

Here is another one: I tried to buy the one year subscription after running their free diagnosis scan. Fortunately my CC info was not accepted and I called Customer Support. The technician, assuming I knew little about computers talked me thru the opening of the task mgr. He said: OK, how many processes are running? OK, 89. Now how many apps do you see in the tray that are running? OK, 4. That means that 89 minus 4 is 84 (sic) which means that you have 84 applications put on by hackers who are stealing your identity without your knowledge and even your virus software won't show it. The only way to get rid of it is to have a skilled technician go through your computer. We can do that remotely and in fact do it for the troops in Afghanistan and Iraq who can't just run down to the local computer store...and on and on and on. Until I said no thanks. He really sounded pissed that I let him talk for five minutes all the time, enjoying the yarn that he was spinning. Don't buy it. Reformat your hard drive. It takes a little time but its free and it's easy.

CyberDefenderCustomer Service

Cyberdefender is the worst company on the internet! I will never use there service again. On Saturday, I spent my entire day trying to get ahold of them and had set up 5 connections to assist me with my issue. They said that they would help and make me a priority. Today is Sunday and they have not helped me and I have attempted 4 more times!!! Each time they say the Understand and will make me a priority...SUCH A LIE! They all say the same thing and it is all BS! I spent over 6 hours of phone time and 7 Unanswered Call that just stayed on hold for over 20+ Minutes! They are awful and have no service and do not care about the customers. They appear to have a call center based in the Middle East and they really do not care about the customer. My mission is to spread the word of their poor service and they just want your money in the front end and they do nothing on the back end! Just awful! Oh ya...go to www.ccleaner.com and download the free software. This will do the same thing that they do, but it is free! This is a bad company and they do not help! Please check around and do your research before getting involved with these assclowns!

• Je
                      Jerome Bush Mar 07, 2011

Granted, sometimes callers will get different actions, and mine is probably in the minority, but I noticed a charge on my credit card in June, 2010. I just noticed it today when I was scanning statements into my computer to allow less paper in my file cabinet. I called CyberDefender's number, and they admitted they charged my card on 6/25, but if I looked farther, I'd see a credit for the same amount on 6/26. Both operators were very polite. I had had the service in 2006 but never renewed it. The supervisor said he'd personally cancel my account so I'd never get charged again. So my experience was much better. I use AVG and CC Cleaner exclusively these days, and both work well.

CyberDefenderBilling Fraud

I had many problems with my computer after downloading this software, They charged me for a free download, Then their software crashed my computer and I got in touch with them and then they wanted to charge me almost $500.00 to fix my computer, I fixed it myself. These people give good Software Companies a bad name because of their unscrupulous business practice, They said they refunded my money after charging me for a auto renewal I never sign up for, I have not received it. I am going to file a major complaint and try to bring them up on Fraud charges, People like this gives the internet a bad name and they should be charged just like anyone whom robbed someone on the street, They should not be allowed to hide behind the internet and think no one can find them or bring them up on charges.

• Di
                        Digital Tech Jul 15, 2011

Some of my customers have fallen for Cyber Defender's Ruse - through the TV commercials about cleaning your PC. NOTHING on your computer can be ADEQUATELY cleaned from any ONLINE service! They just charged one of my customers who happens to be handicapped, $397 (Three HUNDRED and 97 DOLLARS) to INFECT her computer with their crap! In fact, she had the "Your computer is infected" pop-up that encourages people to "click here" to fix, only to more deeply infect the computer if you don't fall for their RUSE. I hope my complaint on her behalf to the BBB gets them some attention from the law! This lady spent her rent rebate for a WORTHLESS program.

Cyber Defenderlieing to comsumers

i brought a this cyber defender internet security system for them and i call about a problem they had me open a chat window and no body came to the window so i keep it open all night when i woke up the next morning no tect had work on my computer and i paid 129.00 for 2 years i waited 12 hours for a tect but never got a tect to work on my computer andi called them back and they put me on hold for hours these people should not be doing this to us that paid our money for this internet security i want my money back that i paid for this and they keep giving me the run around about this this sucks

Cyber Defender — it's a scam

Hi, I am very upset with your level of service and thoroughly disgusted with your customer service. On...

CyberDefenderWON'T GIVE MY MONEY BACK

My computer went down and I no longer had cyberdefender on my new computer, but they charged me anyway. when I called about the charge, the man had me on hold for 20 minutes and never came back. I called again and the next man told me that I had to cancel within 30 days, and the 30 days had passed. I didn't even know I had been charged until I received my credit card bill. it seems that they should notify you that your renewal is due so that if you no longer have a computer — you could cancel. it seems pretty shady to me!!!

• Ni
                            Niteowl Mar 12, 2011

Around July of last year I found a charge of $64.97 on my credit statement from Cyberdefender. I called Sears and was told there was an automatic renewal. I got in contact with Cyberdefender and talked to a woman. She said she would cancel my account and send me some rebate forms. I sent the forms in. Nothing. I really didn't expect to. At this point I'm out nearly $65 and I didn't get the product. I will be canceling my subscription my mail and contacting the BBB.

• Na
                            nanse78 Feb 18, 2011

I paid Cyber Defender $405.95 for 3 years of support. I have tried to get a very simple problem solved. I've spent days being transferred from person to person only to be disconnected with absolutely no resolution to my simple problem. I've also tried to get a refund of my money since all Cyber Defender has been able to do is transfer me from person to person and then disconnect me. This is the most incompetent Company I have ever dealt with. If there is anyone out there that has gotten satisfaction from C.D. please contact me. [email protected] I love to know what you did to get any kind of satisfaction. Sincerely, Frustrated in Illinois.

CyberDefenderFraudulent Charges

DO NOT ENTER INTO ANY BUSINESS AGREEMENTS WITH THIS COMPANY -- it is nothing more than an elaborate scam that convinces people there is something wrong with their PC and then sells them worthless software that does nothing, and may even make existing problems worse or create new ones. AND they will also automatically sign you up for recurring billing without your knowledge and charge your credit card or bank account without your approval. THIS COMPANY IS BAD NEWS -- AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

• Ne
                              needsleepnow Apr 27, 2011

Dealing with CyberDefender was a nightmare. If I actually get the refund I've requested, the nightmare will have lasted several weeks. Please, please, stay away from this company!

CyberDefenderFraudulent charge for service not rendered

My Dad's computer was stuck in "Power Saving Mode". He couldn't get out of it because the battery on his wireless mouse had run out. (I discovered this AFTER what I'm describing here.)
                            He was tricked into contacting CyberDefender for help about being stuck in Power Saving Mode --- they told him he had a hard disk problem, and charged him $229.95.
                            In fact, he did NOT have a hard disk problem, just a dead mouse-battery.
                            I called CyberDefender for a refund of the $229.95. After several call-transfers, someone said they would submit my request to "Management" for approval of the refund.
                            I'm not hopeful that the refund is actually going to happen, given all the complaints about CyberDefender I have been reading.
                            In any case, the problem-solving information they gave my Dad was totally erroneous and completely useless.

• Ka
                                karenjo Mar 22, 2011

They tried three times to work on my PC to no avail. My link kept failing but after many calls and emails they have not refunded my money $129.89...they even told me I would have to pay them that sum two more times and it would be taken from my credit card.

Cyber Defender — Their free virus removal hi-jacked my computer

I down loaded the free antvirus and yes it does run a scan and it does find a virus, but then they want BIG...

CBD CYBER DEFENDERNo Renewable Notice

I have signed up for 24/7 Live Tech Support [protected] last year on 13.9.2009, but I find it not useful therefore did not want to renew it this year. But it was charged automatically into my creditcard without my approval and knowledge till I received my creditcard bill this month (Oct). Kindly help to remove my creditcard deduction in the future. Ref No: 24351780256948361618385. I have called your toll free number at [protected] on 11.10.10 but there was no respond. Should there be any queries, please feel free to call me at 65- [protected].

Cyber Defender — scam

We got "free computer" scan information phone # off computer. We were told we had over 1300 errors on our...

Cyber Defender — Don't Buy the Service

I have purchased their services in May of this year. I had to use their services but everytime it was a...

CyberDefenderi cancelled order, they credited my credit card, yet, you ,charged me 39.95 on my card. i want it, taken off..

I cancelled order, they DID NOT credit my credit card, yet, you, charged me $39.95 on my card. I want it, taken off.. They have given me a conformation # 925064 on MONDAY

• Updated by CyberDefender · Jul 29, 2010

Dear George Pratt,

Thank you for contacting CyberDefender's customer service.

For future reference, it would be far easier for you to obtain a refund from our company by directly contacting our company's customer service, rather than by posting a complaint on a website unaffiliated with our company. At any time, any dissatisfied customer can contact our corporate headquarters at [protected], or email us at supportATcyberdefender.com, and please be sure to give us your full name, date of purchase, and the email address you used when you made your purchase. We will be happy to assist you.

Our records show that two refunds in the amounts of $39.98 and $39.98 were issued today. Refunds can sometimes take 1-2 billing cycles, depending on the issuing bank, before they appear on your credit card statement.

Regarding the status of your refund, the funds have been released on our end. You will want to contact the customer service department of your financial institution to inquire as to when it will appear on your statement.

• Updated by CyberDefender · Aug 16, 2010

Dear Just Sick and Tired and JJJENSEN4087,

Thank you for contacting CyberDefender's customer service.

For future reference, it would be far easier for you to obtain a refund from our company by directly contacting our company's customer service, rather than by posting a complaint on a website unaffiliated with our company. We would be glad to assist you in sorting out any difficulty with your accounts, but we cannot locate your accounts based on your complaintsboard.com online names.

• Updated by CyberDefender · Aug 17, 2010

Dear pissedoffandreadytorage,

Paypal can't have attempted to bill you for our service, as we do not accept Paypal as a form of payment. If Paypal attempted to bill you, it did not come from our company, as again, we do not and have never accepted Paypal as a form of payment.

If you are in fact a CyberDefender customer and were billed $29.99 for an autorenewal, then when you first subscribed to CyberDefender's computer security software, you authorized and agreed to our Terms of Service and EULA (End User License Agreement). She can reference our Terms of Service by visiting http://www.CyberDefender.com/terms.html. CyberDefender notifies all customers by e-mail regarding the subscription renewal process a full week in advance prior to renewing them. The e-mail reminder offers customers the ability to cancel or opt-out from our database. Customers that do not respond are then billed accordingly.

Auto-renewal of customer subscriptions is standard industry practice in the antivirus software business, largely because a gap in the customer's service will leave the customer's computer unprotected, and also because of the software engineering problem of somehow re-activating a customer's account once it has expired and been deactivated.

We would be glad to assist you in sorting out any difficulty with your accounts including issuing you a refund, but we cannot locate your accounts based on your complaintsboard.com online name. At any time, any dissatisfied customer can contact our corporate headquarters at [protected], or email us at supportATcyberdefender.com, and please be sure to give us your full name, date of purchase, and the email address you used when you made your purchase. We will be happy to assist you.

• Pi
                                    pissedoffandreadytorage Aug 17, 2010

I don't know how I got on cyberdefenders purchase list, but I found a 29.99 "attempted" charge to my debit card. Luckly, there WASN'T enough money in there for the transaction to go through. So I do not have a purchase number. I don't even have the cyberdefender program on my computer. The question lies then, how did they get my paypal debit information to attempt a charge. These complaints make it seem like calling customer service won't do any good. People are making the call and not And since I never gave them my debit card number to begin with, I am worried they may keep trying to charge me later... This is bogus, and seemingly tied into these phishing scams and so on.

Cyberdefender, you suck. SCAMMERS!

I refuse to call your customer service, instead I will contact Paypal customer service and demand they do not accept any charges from your bunk operation!

• Jj
                                    JJJENSEN4087 Aug 15, 2010

A similar issue happened with me...I called to order the cyberdefender basic 69.00 package. I gave the guy my debit card number and then he proceeded to try and sell me the upgraded 129.00 package. I realized this whole thing was going to be a huge problem and was going to try to suck every penny out of me, so I explained to the guy that I honestly dont want either service at this point. After about 20 minutes of NO THANK YOU's and MAYBE NEXT TIME's, he assured me I would not be billed. A few days later I realized I was not only billed for the 69.00 package, but I was also billed for the 129.00 package!!! I called the customer service and explained what had happened and that I have never activated any services or utilized anything dealing with them. The service rep explained that he would review my account and call me back to let me know what they will do and if they will refund the money. It has now been over a month ( July 8th) and still no call. They did however refund me the 69.00 but NOT the 129.00!! So today I called and the service rep tried to claim that I had recieved services and the previous rep had accessed my computer to do maintinance. IMPOSSIBLE!!! I never activated ANY service and I didnt even have my computer on when I called to order the services!!! I got the number from a commercial!! SO once again the service rep tells me that he will have to review my account and my phone call to see if I even qualify for a refund!!! This is complete BS!!! it has been almost two months and they still continue to give me the run around. Fortunately, myself and my wife are in the military so we can spread the word about this Cyber Scam...but it is still amazing how these people can just take you for your money and not think twice about it!!!

• Ju
                                    Just Sick and Tired Aug 15, 2010

They did the same to me for 84.95. I even called them on the telephone to cancel order. They said email would contain confirmation. What email? The email they didn't send. Further, I called to cancel order because their online order process is scheming in the manner which it is setup. Finally, a reputable company would not automatically select radio buttons, they would not try to force their software/hijack your computer/time, and lastly they would cancel your order after you no longer authorized such.