Cox Communications Logo

Cox Communications

Having problems with Cox Communications?

Cox Communications Customer Service Contacts

+1 888 278 6660 (Closed Captioning)
+1 800 234 3993 (Support)
6205-B Peachtree Dunwoody Road NE
Atlanta, Kansas

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Cox Communications Customer Service. Initial Cox Communications complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Cox Communications above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Cox Communications. Discuss the issues you have had with Cox Communications and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Complaints & Reviews

H

Cox Communications — reported collection in error

My name is Hicham Rhenja, and I have been a loyal Cox customer for at least 8 years. In May of 2010, I...

J

Cox Communications Kansas — hidden fees / unknowledgable staff

Constantly scamming and posting hidden fees on your account. Always check your statement thoroughly. Customer...

Cox Cablestolen

Cox cable in fort smith arkansas. had converter box stolen, turned in police report, said we were responsible for the 400 dollars to replace the cable box, so evidently crime does pay, because the thief isnt out 400 bucks. would certainly like to do business with cox but i am unwilling to pay for a cable box that a thief broke into my home, took everything i owed including this high price cable box that im sure didnt cost 400 dollars to begin with. i am through with cox cable i assure you. direct tv here i come.

• Oh
      OhWowReally Feb 04, 2011

I am so confused by your complaint. So, had your TV (we'll say you bought it at Best Buy) been stolen, would you be asking Best Buy for a new TV and expecting them to give it to you free of charge? Those cable boxes, esspecially if it was an HD box with DVR are not cheap. When you have cable, you are renting the box, you don't outright own it. And yes, $400 does sound accurate.

Seriously, it is called home owner's insurance, look into it.

C

Cox Communications — fraud

In June I signed up for an Internet/Phone package with Cox with automated billing to a credit card. I took...

Cox Communicationsactual chat session with cox

Here is an actual chat log with cox, about their rates for high speed internet. Note that they cannot provide service to the address I gave, even though it is actually the address of cox in my area!

System:
    Attempting to connect you with an operator...
    System:
    Edwin has entered the conversation.
    Edwin:
    Hello, bundle and save with the cox triple play! It includes digital cable, high speed internet and digital phone.
    Edwin:
    Pleased to have you on chat. How are you doing today?
    Ok
    Edwin:
    How can I assist you today?
    Bubba:
    The cheapest rate for high speed internet is listed at $46.95. I know others have gotten a lower rate. Is cox trying to discourage new customers?
    Edwin:
    Sure, I can assist you with that bubba.
    Edwin:
    In order to locate the best promotions in your area, may I please have your complete address (Including apartment or unit number if applicable) with zip code?
    No. Just use my zip: 85022
    Edwin:
    I apologize for inconvenience, I will be unable to pull up the information without your complete address.
    Bubba:
    So, the answer is yes, cox is trying to discourage new customers. Correct?
    Edwin:
    I completely understand and apologize for the inconvenience.
    Edwin:
    But I will be unable to pull up the information without your complete address.
    Edwin:
    May I please have your complete address (Including apartment or unit number if applicable)?
    Off to qwest I go...
    Edwin:
    It’s been a pleasure being able to assist you today. Thank you for visiting and have a wonderful day.
    Bubba:
    Yes, you can answer the question. Is $46.95 the lowest rate you have? It is a simple question.
    Edwin:
    I am very eager to help you, but I will be unable to pull up the information without your complete address.
    Edwin:
    I understand your concern but we do not use address collected for marketing purposes. They are solely used to assist our customers with any questions they might have.
    Are you there?
    Are you still there?
    1101 e. Bell rd., phoenix
    Edwin:
    Thank you. Please hold one moment while I confirm services in your area.
    Edwin:
    Is there an apartment or unit number?
    Edwin:
    Thank you. Please hold one moment while I confirm services in your area.
    Edwin:
    Thank you for your patience.
    Edwin:
    Unfortunately at this time cox does not offer any services in your area. I apologize for the inconvenience.
    Ha! What a crock.
    Bubba:
    The question is: is there anything at all that you are able to assist with?
    Edwin:
    Bubba, cox does not service all the areas.
    Bubba:
    The address I gave was the old address of cox!!!
    Edwin:
    Unfortunately at this time cox does not offer any services in the address provided.
    Bubba:
    I know, it never has! Ha!
    Edwin:
    I apologize for the inconvenience.
    System:
    Edwin has left the conversation.
    System:
    All operators have left the conversation. Conversation has ended!

• Sh
        Shannon36535 Feb 16, 2011

You BUBBA are a ###. Are you afraid the cox fairy is going to come to your house and get you if you give them your real address?

• To
        Top Sales Feb 16, 2011

Unfortunately you have proved absolutely nothing here... The operator needs an address so they can check your prices in your area. By you giving the address to the Cox retail offices all you are proving is that the address is not in the system. The people on the other end of the chat session are live people, but they are answering about 5 or 6 other screens...all you did was waste their time and yours...

If you really want to check the Cox pricing, go to the Cox website at http://www.cox.com and choose the area where you live... All the pricing info is available online...

Cox Communicationsover billing for phone service

I dropped my Verizon home phone line a couple years ago for the Cox home telephone service. It was only $9.95 a month compared to about $30 a month for the Verizon line. I had every single cable channel, HDTV Internet the works from Cox. I did notice that my monthly bill had soared over $200 a month and inquired numerous times as to why it was so high... Only after disconnecting a bunch of services and going through a detailed review of my bill did I discover the $9.95 phone service was really over $45 a month!!! I have disconnected it now and am seeking a rebate of the over charge... Whatever you do, don't sign up with Cox Communications for anything if you don't have to.

J

Cox Communications — outrageous returned payment fee

I am slapped with extreme return payment fees - 239% of the original bill! My monthly internet bill i...

Cox Communicationstechnician stole my jewelery box

Last tuesday I ordered cox tv service to be added to my account, on wednesday morning the cox cable tech showed up on time, he had to hook up the tvs in 4 rooms of the house, and while working in my bedroom, I was standing next to him, till when my baby started crying, I left the room and ran to my son, by the time I he finished, I went back to my bedroom, realized that my jewelery box went missing!!
        That's outrageous!!!
        That lowlife stole all our jewelery and that's basically all what we had.

And the problem is? Jul 07, 2012

Well, can you prove that the Cox employee took it? My word it's hard to believe anyone would not only have the guts, but have a way to hide such a thing without you noticing. Not to mention who would take the risk of losing their job over something so petty. And for you to call him a low life just makes you look like one your self for calling him that without getting all the facts first. Some people I swear. No wonder why America is going down hill. Jumping to conclusions. I hope you found you jewelery box that probably fell on the floor somewhere.

• Co
            CoxTech1 Nov 22, 2010

I apologize for any distress this situation has caused. If you would like assistance resolving this matter please feel free to email me at [email protected]

--CoxTech1

Cox Communicationsthieves and poor customer service

Worst company ever!!! Don't use them if you have a choice of other companies. Hopefully you will be spared the aggravation and headaches, and just outright criminal thievery that cox seems to get away with. They are stealing from me by keeping my overpayment (And reducing it) that I have requested back on numerous occasions.

I only use cox as an isp, only because I don't have a choice of any other isp. I used to have them for cable tv and phone as well but canned those services due to many problems a couple years ago. Now I don't have a choice for internet access so am stuck with this terrible company.

Cox has the worst service I have ever encountered. I overpaid them by accident recently (Thought I was paying another creditor of mine, electronically) and it's taking an act of congress to try to get them to pay my money back (Hundreds of dollars). Cox cashed my electronic check almost 3 weeks ago and now they have been chipping away at my overpayment since it's taking forever to get any cent of a refund from them. If there was another provider in my area, I would switch in a heartbeat. This company has horrendous service to say the least!!!

If you have a choice of another provider, I highly recommend that you go with another company for tv, phone, and especially internet access. Save yourself the headaches.

And the problem is? Jul 07, 2012

No...What you meant to say is save yourself some headaches. Pay attention to what YOU are doing, and don't blame everyone else for YOUR OWN mistakes. You made the mistake. Deal with the aftermath. You would have gone through that with any company dear.

N

Cox Communication — rebate

Cox Advertised up $300.00 Visa Card Rebate when switching from Dish or any other service... I switched and...

Cox Communications — unlawful entry and destruction of personal property

In March of 2010, a Cox cable technician unlawfully entered my back yard by climbing over a locked gate and...

Cox Communicationscox has shut-down my bulk emailing (to clients) without notice or message

Cox has shut-down my bulk emailing (to clients) without notice or message. The "service" has been down for 5 days now. I've spoken to 2 people on the phone over the last four days, and had online contact as well. No explaination, no help whatsoever. I was forced by Cox to switch to a more-expensive business program (explaining that I needed to email a lot of people). I was assured that would not be a problem. I highly recommend you choose another company if you want business service.

Cox Communicationslack of customer service

For the past few months, Cox Communications has increased my monthly service fee each month. When I contacted their (lack of) Customer Service, the attitude of their agent was "our fees have gone up... deal with it" - when I asked to speak with a manager, I was told "they're just going to tell you the same thing". I received an automated email response from Cox telling me that they "care" about their customers and that someone would get back with me - that was several days ago and to date, nobody has attempted to respond. Why is it that there is one ONE cable service provider for my area? If my memory serves me, I had thought that MONOPOLIES were against the law.

R

Cox Communications — above the law

The following is an excerpt taken from my conversations w/cox communications and their prime...

Cox Communicationspoor customer service, overcharged, no help

Decided to upgrade to DVR service and take advantage of a promotion. They had no DVR receivers for pickup at the locale office for 2 weeks finally was able to get one and they said the promotion was over. They gave me the DVR and said to try calling customer service. I called customer service and was told to bad. Now the promotion is back on 2 months later and the still won't honer it. I pay $160 a month and this is how they treat me. I'll be looking for satellite now. Save yourself the headache and just go with satellite.

And the problem is? Jul 07, 2012

So let me get this straight. Your feelings get hurt, because more people got that upgrade before you, and now your mad about it, so how you are going to get them back is disconnect your service. Some people are so childish. Grow up.

Cox Communications Cable, Internet, Phoneripped off and poor service

This company is continues to push the envelope on the absolute worst provider in history. If you want to be ignored, overcharged, and treated like crap, then i think this is your provider of cable TV, Internet, and phone.

Not only are you guaranteed to receive the run around and the worst customer service i have ever seen, which is sooooo typical of larger companies who have little completion in their respective markets.

The actual services they provide are consistently unreliable and marginal at best. Cable TV is poor, with constant problems that are blamed on anyone but themselves...their excuses are endless...its the house wiring, its the internal cable wiring, its your TV, its your problem. Internet is spotty and also problems are blamed on someone else to deal with.

If you held a gun to my head, I would still not agree or say yes to using Cox Communications ever again.

I would prefer to watch grass grow, and communicate by smoke signal as deal with this company ever again.

Cox Communicationsfraud issue

I had a fraud issue with my bank account in June 2007 for which I had to close my bank account and open another one. Part of that was getting all my bills that are automaticly debited from my account swtiched over to my new checking account. The day I closed my account, Cox tried to debit my closed acount for the bill amount, which for obvious reasons didn't go through. The day after my checking account closed, I cancelled the automatic debit from Cox and set an automatic debit request for the new checking account I just opened. The next week I got a very nasty letter from Cox stating that not only was my bill past due but I had to pay it in cash at their office upon receipt of the bill.

I'm not hurting for money, and paying the bill in cash wasn't a problem, but I'm a doctor and finding the time to to go by their office to pay it was a problem. But to make sure I took care of my end, I scrambled find the time during business hours the next day and paid the bill at Cox's convenience. Thinking this was a one-time issue, I didn't think much of it the whole thing until I got my next bill from Cox and got the same "your payment is late and it's due now in cash."

I called customer service to see what the issue was and was told by customer service that my automatic debit was cancelled due to a closed checking account. When I asked the Cox rep what happened to the automatic debit agreement I set up for my new checking account, I got the usual run around with the customer service rep dening that such a thing had never been done, then when she realized that she was miskeying some info and that there really was a request to set up a new automatic debit, she didn't apologize and she told me that I had to be in good standing with my bill, which meant I had to pay my bill at their office. So I again scrambled to find the time and paid the bill. This time after paying the bill, I asked the customer service rep who was assiting me at the Cox office if I was in good standing and if she could ok my automatic debit. She said she couldn't ok the automatic debit, but that I was in good standing and assured me that I wouldn't have a problem with my next bill.

I called the next week just to assure that the automatic billing was set up, and was told "it was not a problem." Wouldn't you know it, the next bill arrived stating the same thing like the previous two, that there was no automatic debit in place, that I needed to pay in cash and it was due now.

Now I have been a customer of Cox Commications in the South Louisiana in some capacity or another for the last 7 years and never had so much as a late payment until now. By now, I am confused and incensed since I was told the automatic debit was not a problem twice. So I call customer service for a third time, get the usual run around again and am told I am not in good standing with my account and that to get in good standing I would have to pay my bill at thier office.

By now, I am a little suspicious of what is going on and the Cox's ability to get this solved correctly as it seems to be an ongoing problem, but not with me as I am consistently doing what they ask me to do when they ask me to. So I reported them to the Better Business Bureau of Baton Rouge for this issue, thinking at least I'll have some record of this whole mess happening.

When I paid the third bill for which I again had to scramble to find the time, I insisted on having someone at an upper level help me. I had the pleasure of having Angel who although provided excellent customer service, managed to perform it such in a way as to insinuate that I was making an issue out of nothing, when I came to find out that the problem was Cox not telling me that I needed to pay not only the money that was due, but also the next month's bill to attain good standing and have the automatic debit request be accepted, and that was discovered only after I insisted on having Cox put the automatic debit in place while I was present at their office.

The worst part about it was that I never heard an, "I'm sorry for your inconvenience" even after I explained numerous times what was a true inconvenience this whole mess was. It took them two months to respond to the BBB complaint saying only that it had been resolved with an insinuation that I had made a premature complaint.

• Au
                        Austin Manahan Aug 11, 2015

Here's one for you... I go into the cox store to upgrade my Modem.. (but since I had purchased my own modem they would not swap it out... I had to pay for it). In the store one of the guys seemed very honest and said we could buy a better modem elsewhere.. my wife loved that idea, but me (always wanting to get it done and marked off the list), I decided to just purchase the modem at the store. We went across the street and my wife did some research and decided we could order a better modem through amazon.com - prime. So, I returned the modem just an hour or so after purchasing it (and supposedly would be credited back - even steven). Well, here we are in August and my cox bill is bigger.. so i call yesterday and the gal at cox said that she saw that I had purchased and returned the modem, but that two days later we purchased another one. So, I chalked it up to my own bad memory and said ok. Today I ran it by my wife (who remembers everything - good and bad- since the beginning of time) and she pulls up the Amazon.com receipt on her phone. ugh.. So I call Cox back.. and the guy was insistent, no matter how many times I told him that we did NOT purchase a modem through them... Finally after the 3rd time I told him and the third time I was on hold, he came back and told me that there was a mistake and that they would take care of it. The funny thing is, .. they (Cox) showed the second 'Modem' charge on the same day that we received it from Amazon and hooked it up. I'm usually not suspicious (and have NEVER written a review before) but I don't want someone else to be falsely charged. Overall my service with Cox has been ok.. some gray area here and there.. and some so- so service at times - but that's what I'd expect from a big company. However, .. this seemed a bit sneaky to me. And by the way, .. the first time I called the gal (yesterday) she knew the exact modem I had .. and i read her the serial number - and she said 'YUP' that's the one you purchased from us. So, beware, .. once you hood up a modem they know exactly what it is and might 'accidentally - through a glitch or 'wrong code entered' charge you.

Jojo Jenkins Sep 26, 2013

My current situation is not exactly the same. I hope people will read this.
                        What has happened to me was this.
                        Clled cox last night to see if we could get an account. They said yes but I had to pay a deposit as I have no credit history with them. I can understand this.
                        So my wife decided to go to the store and pay it this morning. They said they would be by the next day for installation.
                        So now she comes home around noon and gives me the info.
                        Then around 4pm I get a call from the store. They are saying I owe a past due bill for aroun $90.
                        Now in no way could I have been a cox subscriber. I lived in a comcast and verizon area. The address they gave me for the past due account is from a neighboring state. The state is a cox state. So I explain this to the gentleman.
                        Now they want me to provide proof of residency and a police report to clear my past bill.
                        How is this even possible. When on the phone last night and in the store their was nothing said about said past bill. Also why would they take my deposit and then tell me of this hours later.
                        Now my installation is on hold! Hell I even have the modem at my house for next day installation.
                        I will try calling the office tomorrow in the morning and see what can happen. So far it appears they have "stolen" my money.
                        Maybe I can get a manager in the billing dept.

And the problem is? Jul 07, 2012

Sniff...Sniff... We are all sorry we lost part of our lives reading this. All companies make mistakes, if you want a "I am sorry" for everything every company does wrong, you would never get away from them all.

Cox Communications / Cable Tvpoor billing practices

Cox is perhaps the worst in the industry when it comes to billing. I signed up for cable/internet/phone services. After 3 weeks of problems with the cable, I get a disconnect notice in the mail for non-payment (really, it was 3 weeks). I called and was told that they had sent a bill (which I had not received) so I paid over the phone. The same thing happened the following month. And the 3rd month. When I spoke to customer service I was told that they were sending the bill via email, but the rep could not give me the email address that the bill was being sent to as it was confidential. The fourth month I cancelled the service.

Cox Cableunreliable company

I was lied to by a rep at Cox Cable that said my phone line would not be cut off this AM on 4/24/09. I informed the rep that I had to work 2 1/2 hrs this morning from my home and need the phone line. She stated that the service would stay on until 5-7pm this evening. I had to release my hrs and am in jeopardy of losing my income over this. I need to be compensated for this!!

Cox Communicationsbilling error

I have been on the phone so far with 4 customer service reps for a total of 3/2 hours and yet to have anyone that can help me. Every time I call I also get a different answer and they say the previous person was wrong. They seem to have a system when you ask for a supervisor they hang up on you. I have never been able to get to a supervisor they must not exsist. I also found out all these customer service reps work from home so no wonder we cannot get answers! Cox used my credit card twice to pay someone else's Cox Account and they told me yes they see they did it in error but not only will they not give my my money back but they want me to still pay my bill now! They told me they would only transfer the charges to my Cox account after I sent them a copy of the Transmital report from Chase Bank. I have been to the bank now 3 times in person and no one at Chase knows what that is and even the Chase fraud department doesn't know what it is. They said Debt Cards don't have transmittal reports. So Cox won't help me and the bank won't help me. I am out so far $258 and they want another $200 out of me. I also have to cancel my debt card and spend hours more contacting all my other auto pay accounts to change it. I work in customer service myself and I have never in my 26 years seen such incompetence and Cox can do whatever they want when they want to and no one can stop them! BUYER BEWARE!!! Everything is okay unless you have a problem and I would NEVER set up easy pay EVER!!

• Ge
                              Geremia Feb 21, 2015

Cox's billing "mistakes" are outright lies. The "total due" online often doesn't reflect what is actually due.

Look at my attached picture. I even called a few reps, and they said I didn't owe anything on Feb. 15, and that their system would update it with the right information. At the top of the page it says " Total Amount Due: $0.00 Payment Due By: Feb 15, 2015" Yet, at the bottom, it says "Total Due by Feb 15 2015 $66.99"! Which is it‽ It's really neither. The rep I spoke to about downgrading my service said I'd owe $40-something (he prorated it)! I'm willing to be what I really owe is the bottom, and they'll charge, as they've done to me before, late fees, and I'll call them and tell them they told me I owed nothing, and they'll say they have no record of it!

Cox are a bunch of liars and cheaters.

• Mj
                              mjames702 Apr 23, 2013

They have the worst billing department ever. They can not get one bill right then you cancel their service they send you a bunch of bills which are all wrong then send you to collections with a different amount then you owe. They still can't get the billing right even after . Then they say they only sent one bill at the end and destroy evidence . When it was like 5 in total. They are horrible and I would stay away from them.