Complaints & Reviews

fraud

In June I signed up for an Internet/Phone package with Cox with automated billing to a credit card. I took...

actual chat session with cox

Here is an actual chat log with cox, about their rates for high speed internet. Note that they cannot provide service to the address I gave, even though it is actually the address of cox in my area!

System:
Attempting to connect you with an operator...
System:
Edwin has entered the conversation.
Edwin:
Hello, bundle and save with the cox triple play! It includes digital cable, high speed internet and digital phone.
Edwin:
Pleased to have you on chat. How are you doing today?
Ok
Edwin:
How can I assist you today?
Bubba:
The cheapest rate for high speed internet is listed at $46.95. I know others have gotten a lower rate. Is cox trying to discourage new customers?
Edwin:
Sure, I can assist you with that bubba.
Edwin:
In order to locate the best promotions in your area, may I please have your complete address (Including apartment or unit number if applicable) with zip code?
No. Just use my zip: 85022
Edwin:
I apologize for inconvenience, I will be unable to pull up the information without your complete address.
Bubba:
So, the answer is yes, cox is trying to discourage new customers. Correct?
Edwin:
I completely understand and apologize for the inconvenience.
Edwin:
But I will be unable to pull up the information without your complete address.
Edwin:
May I please have your complete address (Including apartment or unit number if applicable)?
Off to qwest I go...
Edwin:
It’s been a pleasure being able to assist you today. Thank you for visiting and have a wonderful day.
Bubba:
Yes, you can answer the question. Is $46.95 the lowest rate you have? It is a simple question.
Edwin:
I am very eager to help you, but I will be unable to pull up the information without your complete address.
Edwin:
I understand your concern but we do not use address collected for marketing purposes. They are solely used to assist our customers with any questions they might have.
Are you there?
Are you still there?
1101 e. Bell rd., phoenix
Edwin:
Thank you. Please hold one moment while I confirm services in your area.
Edwin:
Is there an apartment or unit number?
Edwin:
Thank you. Please hold one moment while I confirm services in your area.
Edwin:
Thank you for your patience.
Edwin:
Unfortunately at this time cox does not offer any services in your area. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Ha! What a crock.
Bubba:
The question is: is there anything at all that you are able to assist with?
Edwin:
Bubba, cox does not service all the areas.
Bubba:
The address I gave was the old address of cox!!!
Edwin:
Unfortunately at this time cox does not offer any services in the address provided.
Bubba:
I know, it never has! Ha!
Edwin:
I apologize for the inconvenience.
System:
Edwin has left the conversation.
System:
All operators have left the conversation. Conversation has ended!

• To
    Top Sales Feb 16, 2011

Unfortunately you have proved absolutely nothing here... The operator needs an address so they can check your prices in your area. By you giving the address to the Cox retail offices all you are proving is that the address is not in the system. The people on the other end of the chat session are live people, but they are answering about 5 or 6 other screens...all you did was waste their time and yours...

If you really want to check the Cox pricing, go to the Cox website at http://www.cox.com and choose the area where you live... All the pricing info is available online...

• Sh
    Shannon36535 Feb 16, 2011

You BUBBA are a ###. Are you afraid the cox fairy is going to come to your house and get you if you give them your real address?

over billing for phone service

I dropped my Verizon home phone line a couple years ago for the Cox home telephone service. It was only $9.95 a month compared to about $30 a month for the Verizon line. I had every single cable channel, HDTV Internet the works from Cox. I did notice that my monthly bill had soared over $200 a month and inquired numerous times as to why it was so high... Only after disconnecting a bunch of services and going through a detailed review of my bill did I discover the $9.95 phone service was really over $45 a month!!! I have disconnected it now and am seeking a rebate of the over charge... Whatever you do, don't sign up with Cox Communications for anything if you don't have to.

outrageous returned payment fee

I am slapped with extreme return payment fees - 239% of the original bill!

My monthly internet bill is $40.99 and I am signed up for the automatic payment on my credit card. Last month, I lost my wallet and had to block my credit card. Unfortunately, the next day was the due date and the automatic payment failed.

Then, I got this bill with $97.81 for the credit card denial ($44.48) and returned payment fee ($50). This is 239% of my original monthly payment. This is extremely unjustified. If they see the credit card had problem, they could have sent email to me, just like Netflix did! I could fix my credit card information on Netflix thanks to their smart warning. On the contrary, Cox communications takes advantage of this unfortunate situation and charges $97.81 on top of my original bill.

I want these monster fees waived.

technician stole my jewelery box

Last tuesday I ordered cox tv service to be added to my account, on wednesday morning the cox cable tech showed up on time, he had to hook up the tvs in 4 rooms of the house, and while working in my bedroom, I was standing next to him, till when my baby started crying, I left the room and ran to my son, by the time I he finished, I went back to my bedroom, realized that my jewelery box went missing!!
That's outrageous!!!
That lowlife stole all our jewelery and that's basically all what we had.

• Co
    CoxTech1 Nov 22, 2010

I apologize for any distress this situation has caused. If you would like assistance resolving this matter please feel free to email me at [email protected]

--CoxTech1

And the problem is? Jul 07, 2012

Well, can you prove that the Cox employee took it? My word it's hard to believe anyone would not only have the guts, but have a way to hide such a thing without you noticing. Not to mention who would take the risk of losing their job over something so petty. And for you to call him a low life just makes you look like one your self for calling him that without getting all the facts first. Some people I swear. No wonder why America is going down hill. Jumping to conclusions. I hope you found you jewelery box that probably fell on the floor somewhere.

thieves and poor customer service

Worst company ever!!! Don't use them if you have a choice of other companies. Hopefully you will be spared the aggravation and headaches, and just outright criminal thievery that cox seems to get away with. They are stealing from me by keeping my overpayment (And reducing it) that I have requested back on numerous occasions.

I only use cox as an isp, only because I don't have a choice of any other isp. I used to have them for cable tv and phone as well but canned those services due to many problems a couple years ago. Now I don't have a choice for internet access so am stuck with this terrible company.

Cox has the worst service I have ever encountered. I overpaid them by accident recently (Thought I was paying another creditor of mine, electronically) and it's taking an act of congress to try to get them to pay my money back (Hundreds of dollars). Cox cashed my electronic check almost 3 weeks ago and now they have been chipping away at my overpayment since it's taking forever to get any cent of a refund from them. If there was another provider in my area, I would switch in a heartbeat. This company has horrendous service to say the least!!!

If you have a choice of another provider, I highly recommend that you go with another company for tv, phone, and especially internet access. Save yourself the headaches.

And the problem is? Jul 07, 2012

No...What you meant to say is save yourself some headaches. Pay attention to what YOU are doing, and don't blame everyone else for YOUR OWN mistakes. You made the mistake. Deal with the aftermath. You would have gone through that with any company dear.

rebate

Cox Advertised up $300.00 Visa Card Rebate when switching from Dish or any other service... I switched and...

unlawful entry and destruction of personal property

In March of 2010, a Cox cable technician unlawfully entered my back yard by climbing over a locked gate and proceeded to cut the wiring that ran along the side of my home. I was unaware of his presence until I heard him hammering on the side of the house. He never knocked or notified me that he was on the premises. He wanted to bury new cable lines. When I refused, he then spliced the cables five times and refitted them with connectors.

This caused me to lose most of my channels viewable with an hdtv. When I complained to Cox, they wanted to charge me $60 extra per month to have my channels restored. Cox has even admitted that the technician acted far beyond the scope of his duties, however they have refused to repair the damage. The green box cable is next door, the filtering of channels is lawfully installed at the box, not on my home. The cables are my property because the house was wired for satellite, not for cable TV for over 20 years. In order to resubscribe to satellite TV, the wiring will have to be redone all over again. Cable companies are deliberately doing this in order to penalize customers who may leave them for satellite. I am interested in a class-action lawsuit. I live in BR, LA. Put an ad at Craigslist list in order find me.

And the problem is? Jul 07, 2012

Class action lawsuit. Give me a break. I am going to take a whack on why he may have been out there. There is preventive maintenance called signal leakage, and chasing return noise that can backfeed from customers homes, because they don't know how to tighten a F connector all the way snug, or a dog of theirs chews on the line on the outside of your house like yours, and of course the customer does not even realize this unless it's really bad. The FCC requires ALL cable companies to repair anything that is causing this leakage whether is poor quality cable ran by customers, loose connections inside. bad TV's, bad RF modulators, cut lines, lines with no F connectors just stabbed into a TV. If a tech detects this he or she IS to do what it takes to fix this IMMEDIATELY, depending on this size. Either they will need in your yard or they will have to put a door tag on your door for access at a later time, or they will just shut you off if you are backfeeding too much into the system which is return noise and causes othere paying customers issues with speeds and poor service. If he had to splice in cables, then some of it on the side of your house may have been brittle, or had cuts etc. in them. He would have to cut them to repair them. Read about CATV signal leakage, and CATV return noise. You would be amazed how many people jump the gun and think all they do is cause trouble, when some techs jobs are to do nothing but keep the network cleaned up from problems caused by the customers themselves, besides the illeglals causing service issues.

• Et
    etal Jul 06, 2013

Definately lawsuit material. That tech had tresspassed and then damaged your property. NO ONE has the right to access your property without expressed permission. Considering the alterations he made that resulted in unnecessary financial burden to you, definately take them to court and file a complaint against the contract license for the tresspassing and illegal work done. Years ago, a Cox field technician came to my home wanting to do work on the property, even though we did not have Cox service at the time. I told him NO. He looked confused that I turned him away. He said if we wanted Cox service later we wouldn't be able to get it without the updates they needed to do now. Told him we don't have Cox service and had canceled Cox for a reason. Been fine without them and don't want Cox on our property. He left, complying with my instruction to leave and the law giving me the right to deny access to my property.

• Ir
    IRATE13 Aug 09, 2014

COX recently dug up many yards in the new subdivision where I live. They did send their contracted crew to replace sod after trenching many yards. The sod was only partially laid and was haphazard at that. There are spaces between the sod and a big mud hole at the bottom of my yard. There is a 25' by 15' stretch of my yard that looks like pure ****. The kicker is, I don't have Cox and don't want them. They just installed cable throughout the subdivision because it's new and they wanted their cable in place for people who want it and for new houses that haven't been built yet. I called them 2 weeks ago and was told they would fix it. I called again 2 days ago and they said they would call back within the hour. 2 days later, no call. Fortunately, I had the foresight to take pictures before, during and after along with video of their shoddy sod placement. I was thinking class action, but I think multiple individual suits will send a stronger message.

cox has shut-down my bulk emailing (to clients) without notice or message

Cox has shut-down my bulk emailing (to clients) without notice or message. The "service" has been down for 5 days now. I've spoken to 2 people on the phone over the last four days, and had online contact as well. No explaination, no help whatsoever. I was forced by Cox to switch to a more-expensive business program (explaining that I needed to email a lot of people). I was assured that would not be a problem. I highly recommend you choose another company if you want business service.

lack of customer service

For the past few months, Cox Communications has increased my monthly service fee each month. When I contacted their (lack of) Customer Service, the attitude of their agent was "our fees have gone up... deal with it" - when I asked to speak with a manager, I was told "they're just going to tell you the same thing". I received an automated email response from Cox telling me that they "care" about their customers and that someone would get back with me - that was several days ago and to date, nobody has attempted to respond. Why is it that there is one ONE cable service provider for my area? If my memory serves me, I had thought that MONOPOLIES were against the law.

above the law

The following is an excerpt taken from my conversations w/cox communications and their prime customer/supporter the RI Public Utility Commission.

Me:Hi. I am calling about a couple of issues. How come every few months my bill keeps getting a few dollars higher even tho I made no changes?

Cox: After reviewing your account, you are correct that no changes have been made. We are not raising the prices every few months. However, the PUC gave us permission to raise the costs every august.

Me: I have my bills for an entire year in front of me now and I see raises more often than once a year, in fact it is a 3-4 times a year, it is almost every 3 months.

Cox: Perhaps the phone usage. At times you exceeded the limits of usage and hence extra charges for the phone and perhaps you made long distance calls.

Me: Look, we have cel phones that we use for our long distance calls. So don't go there, as I have said I have all my bills in front of me. So are you suggesting that my bill that I get in the mail is different from your records?

Cox: Send all copies of every bill you have and we will investigate.

Me: You are attempting to stonewall me. Nevertheless my second issue is that I want to downgrade some of my services. I want to downgrade to basic basic, turn in my 2 cable boxes too.

Cox: I can do that for you. However you will be required to pay 180. early termination fee as stated in your contract.

Me: Contract? What contract? I didnt sign any contract or have any knowledge of it. No one told me about any contract.

Cox: When you added anything you were entered into contract and was informed of this at the time.

Me: Well, let me ask you, since I have been with all the same services, no upgrades or downgrades, for over 15 years and have never called you to make any changes, how did you enter me into any contract? So let me get this straight, you enetered people into contracts w/out calling or mailing your intentions to the customer? You did so w/out providing the customer the opportunity to decline the contract and/or opt out? Who gave you the right to do this?

Cox: It is our new policy of practices and procedures. It is in our corporate bylaws.

Me: Oh! So it was cox's own laws of practice. Cox gave themselves the right to do whatever they want and whenever they want then?

Cox: Sir, I must go and deal with other customers, goodbye and ty for calling cox your friends in the digital age.

Me: Hello, is this the PUC?

PUC: How can I help you?

Me: I want to make a complaint against cox communications.

PUC: What is your complaint about sir?

Me: Cox entered me into a contract similiar to a cel phone contract that if I try to cancel or downgrade any of my services I must pay an early termination fee.

PUC: I know about that, there is nothing we can do about it.

Me: Also, cox has informed me that the PUC gives them the right to raise the prices every august, yet the proces are raised every 3 months.

PUC: We dont just tell companies they can raise the prices. They petition us to do so. In the case of cox, each year they petition us to raise the charges in accordance to the rising costs of living. In return, we get a percenatge of the increase as allowed by law.

Me: Wait a minute, people on disability income recieved notice that there will be no increase in their checks because, " The economy and costs of living have not changed and will not change for 3 years", so how do you jusitfy saying that they are given the right to raise there charges due to rising costs of living?

PUC: Sir, if you dont like cox's services, I suggest you find another cable company.

Me: You know darn well that there are no other companies allowed in RI, that cox is the sole cable company for this pittance of a state RI. Furthermore, PUBLIC UTILITIES COMMISSION is supposed to be a tool for the public to take their complaints to regarding any service that you regulate. It looks like that the public has no real recourse, that the PUC is really for the businesses. So if I pay some moneyto the PUC, a 100 grand or so, then do I get rules changed and prices dropped?

PUC: We are in charge of regulating businesses in RI that provide electric, heat and telecommunications.

Me: No, you are in charge of taking pay-offs from companies and in return you give them the right to suck the blood out of the consumer! have a good day, ty for wasting my time.

Joan A. McKinnon May 25, 2012

I have watched channel ten for many years, I have also been a cox customer for years to.PLEASE DO NOT DROP CHANNEL TEN>
    I will have to change my server if you do
    Joan A. McKinnon

• Jl
    jlgvin Apr 10, 2016

I am in Portsmouth and have had the exact same experience. I am looking at a Nov. 2015 bill that was 143+, Jan March bill that hovered at 164+ and the current April bill that is 184+. I have written to now retired OTTIANO about doing something about Cox's fraud and abuse of RI consumers and NOTHING GOT DONE. We rhodies need to fight the apse double talking cox employees / execs. They seem to enjoy needling us when we call, talking us in circles as wereview and try to take down the continuous inching up of their charges, most of which make no sense. They are obviously in the pockets of the powerful assemby do not want to loose their hefty reelection cox coffers. I noticed hundreds of complaints and yet they fell on deaf ears. We Rhodies are powerless in the hands of these slimy law makers. Jeanne in Portsmouth.

poor customer service, overcharged, no help

Decided to upgrade to DVR service and take advantage of a promotion. They had no DVR receivers for pickup at the locale office for 2 weeks finally was able to get one and they said the promotion was over. They gave me the DVR and said to try calling customer service. I called customer service and was told to bad. Now the promotion is back on 2 months later and the still won't honer it. I pay $160 a month and this is how they treat me. I'll be looking for satellite now. Save yourself the headache and just go with satellite.

And the problem is? Jul 07, 2012

So let me get this straight. Your feelings get hurt, because more people got that upgrade before you, and now your mad about it, so how you are going to get them back is disconnect your service. Some people are so childish. Grow up.

ripped off and poor service

This company is continues to push the envelope on the absolute worst provider in history. If you want to be ignored, overcharged, and treated like crap, then i think this is your provider of cable TV, Internet, and phone.

Not only are you guaranteed to receive the run around and the worst customer service i have ever seen, which is sooooo typical of larger companies who have little completion in their respective markets.

The actual services they provide are consistently unreliable and marginal at best. Cable TV is poor, with constant problems that are blamed on anyone but themselves...their excuses are endless...its the house wiring, its the internal cable wiring, its your TV, its your problem. Internet is spotty and also problems are blamed on someone else to deal with.

If you held a gun to my head, I would still not agree or say yes to using Cox Communications ever again.

I would prefer to watch grass grow, and communicate by smoke signal as deal with this company ever again.

fraud issue

I had a fraud issue with my bank account in June 2007 for which I had to close my bank account and open another one. Part of that was getting all my bills that are automaticly debited from my account swtiched over to my new checking account. The day I closed my account, Cox tried to debit my closed acount for the bill amount, which for obvious reasons didn't go through. The day after my checking account closed, I cancelled the automatic debit from Cox and set an automatic debit request for the new checking account I just opened. The next week I got a very nasty letter from Cox stating that not only was my bill past due but I had to pay it in cash at their office upon receipt of the bill.

I'm not hurting for money, and paying the bill in cash wasn't a problem, but I'm a doctor and finding the time to to go by their office to pay it was a problem. But to make sure I took care of my end, I scrambled find the time during business hours the next day and paid the bill at Cox's convenience. Thinking this was a one-time issue, I didn't think much of it the whole thing until I got my next bill from Cox and got the same "your payment is late and it's due now in cash."

I called customer service to see what the issue was and was told by customer service that my automatic debit was cancelled due to a closed checking account. When I asked the Cox rep what happened to the automatic debit agreement I set up for my new checking account, I got the usual run around with the customer service rep dening that such a thing had never been done, then when she realized that she was miskeying some info and that there really was a request to set up a new automatic debit, she didn't apologize and she told me that I had to be in good standing with my bill, which meant I had to pay my bill at their office. So I again scrambled to find the time and paid the bill. This time after paying the bill, I asked the customer service rep who was assiting me at the Cox office if I was in good standing and if she could ok my automatic debit. She said she couldn't ok the automatic debit, but that I was in good standing and assured me that I wouldn't have a problem with my next bill.

I called the next week just to assure that the automatic billing was set up, and was told "it was not a problem." Wouldn't you know it, the next bill arrived stating the same thing like the previous two, that there was no automatic debit in place, that I needed to pay in cash and it was due now.

Now I have been a customer of Cox Commications in the South Louisiana in some capacity or another for the last 7 years and never had so much as a late payment until now. By now, I am confused and incensed since I was told the automatic debit was not a problem twice. So I call customer service for a third time, get the usual run around again and am told I am not in good standing with my account and that to get in good standing I would have to pay my bill at thier office.

By now, I am a little suspicious of what is going on and the Cox's ability to get this solved correctly as it seems to be an ongoing problem, but not with me as I am consistently doing what they ask me to do when they ask me to. So I reported them to the Better Business Bureau of Baton Rouge for this issue, thinking at least I'll have some record of this whole mess happening.

When I paid the third bill for which I again had to scramble to find the time, I insisted on having someone at an upper level help me. I had the pleasure of having Angel who although provided excellent customer service, managed to perform it such in a way as to insinuate that I was making an issue out of nothing, when I came to find out that the problem was Cox not telling me that I needed to pay not only the money that was due, but also the next month's bill to attain good standing and have the automatic debit request be accepted, and that was discovered only after I insisted on having Cox put the automatic debit in place while I was present at their office.

The worst part about it was that I never heard an, "I'm sorry for your inconvenience" even after I explained numerous times what was a true inconvenience this whole mess was. It took them two months to respond to the BBB complaint saying only that it had been resolved with an insinuation that I had made a premature complaint.

And the problem is? Jul 07, 2012

Sniff...Sniff... We are all sorry we lost part of our lives reading this. All companies make mistakes, if you want a "I am sorry" for everything every company does wrong, you would never get away from them all.

Jojo Jenkins Sep 26, 2013

My current situation is not exactly the same. I hope people will read this.
    What has happened to me was this.
    Clled cox last night to see if we could get an account. They said yes but I had to pay a deposit as I have no credit history with them. I can understand this.
    So my wife decided to go to the store and pay it this morning. They said they would be by the next day for installation.
    So now she comes home around noon and gives me the info.
    Then around 4pm I get a call from the store. They are saying I owe a past due bill for aroun $90.
    Now in no way could I have been a cox subscriber. I lived in a comcast and verizon area. The address they gave me for the past due account is from a neighboring state. The state is a cox state. So I explain this to the gentleman.
    Now they want me to provide proof of residency and a police report to clear my past bill.
    How is this even possible. When on the phone last night and in the store their was nothing said about said past bill. Also why would they take my deposit and then tell me of this hours later.
    Now my installation is on hold! Hell I even have the modem at my house for next day installation.
    I will try calling the office tomorrow in the morning and see what can happen. So far it appears they have "stolen" my money.
    Maybe I can get a manager in the billing dept.

• Au
    Austin Manahan Aug 11, 2015

Here's one for you... I go into the cox store to upgrade my Modem.. (but since I had purchased my own modem they would not swap it out... I had to pay for it). In the store one of the guys seemed very honest and said we could buy a better modem elsewhere.. my wife loved that idea, but me (always wanting to get it done and marked off the list), I decided to just purchase the modem at the store. We went across the street and my wife did some research and decided we could order a better modem through amazon.com - prime. So, I returned the modem just an hour or so after purchasing it (and supposedly would be credited back - even steven). Well, here we are in August and my cox bill is bigger.. so i call yesterday and the gal at cox said that she saw that I had purchased and returned the modem, but that two days later we purchased another one. So, I chalked it up to my own bad memory and said ok. Today I ran it by my wife (who remembers everything - good and bad- since the beginning of time) and she pulls up the Amazon.com receipt on her phone. ugh.. So I call Cox back.. and the guy was insistent, no matter how many times I told him that we did NOT purchase a modem through them... Finally after the 3rd time I told him and the third time I was on hold, he came back and told me that there was a mistake and that they would take care of it. The funny thing is, .. they (Cox) showed the second 'Modem' charge on the same day that we received it from Amazon and hooked it up. I'm usually not suspicious (and have NEVER written a review before) but I don't want someone else to be falsely charged. Overall my service with Cox has been ok.. some gray area here and there.. and some so- so service at times - but that's what I'd expect from a big company. However, .. this seemed a bit sneaky to me. And by the way, .. the first time I called the gal (yesterday) she knew the exact modem I had .. and i read her the serial number - and she said 'YUP' that's the one you purchased from us. So, beware, .. once you hood up a modem they know exactly what it is and might 'accidentally - through a glitch or 'wrong code entered' charge you.

poor billing practices

Cox is perhaps the worst in the industry when it comes to billing. I signed up for cable/internet/phone services. After 3 weeks of problems with the cable, I get a disconnect notice in the mail for non-payment (really, it was 3 weeks). I called and was told that they had sent a bill (which I had not received) so I paid over the phone. The same thing happened the following month. And the 3rd month. When I spoke to customer service I was told that they were sending the bill via email, but the rep could not give me the email address that the bill was being sent to as it was confidential. The fourth month I cancelled the service.

unreliable company

I was lied to by a rep at Cox Cable that said my phone line would not be cut off this AM on 4/24/09. I informed the rep that I had to work 2 1/2 hrs this morning from my home and need the phone line. She stated that the service would stay on until 5-7pm this evening. I had to release my hrs and am in jeopardy of losing my income over this. I need to be compensated for this!!

billing error

I have been on the phone so far with 4 customer service reps for a total of 3/2 hours and yet to have anyone that can help me. Every time I call I also get a different answer and they say the previous person was wrong. They seem to have a system when you ask for a supervisor they hang up on you. I have never been able to get to a supervisor they must not exsist. I also found out all these customer service reps work from home so no wonder we cannot get answers! Cox used my credit card twice to pay someone else's Cox Account and they told me yes they see they did it in error but not only will they not give my my money back but they want me to still pay my bill now! They told me they would only transfer the charges to my Cox account after I sent them a copy of the Transmital report from Chase Bank. I have been to the bank now 3 times in person and no one at Chase knows what that is and even the Chase fraud department doesn't know what it is. They said Debt Cards don't have transmittal reports. So Cox won't help me and the bank won't help me. I am out so far $258 and they want another $200 out of me. I also have to cancel my debt card and spend hours more contacting all my other auto pay accounts to change it. I work in customer service myself and I have never in my 26 years seen such incompetence and Cox can do whatever they want when they want to and no one can stop them! BUYER BEWARE!!! Everything is okay unless you have a problem and I would NEVER set up easy pay EVER!!

• Mj
    mjames702 Apr 23, 2013

They have the worst billing department ever. They can not get one bill right then you cancel their service they send you a bunch of bills which are all wrong then send you to collections with a different amount then you owe. They still can't get the billing right even after . Then they say they only sent one bill at the end and destroy evidence . When it was like 5 in total. They are horrible and I would stay away from them.

• Ge
    Geremia Feb 21, 2015

Cox's billing "mistakes" are outright lies. The "total due" online often doesn't reflect what is actually due.

Look at my attached picture. I even called a few reps, and they said I didn't owe anything on Feb. 15, and that their system would update it with the right information. At the top of the page it says " Total Amount Due: $0.00 Payment Due By: Feb 15, 2015" Yet, at the bottom, it says "Total Due by Feb 15 2015 $66.99"! Which is it‽ It's really neither. The rep I spoke to about downgrading my service said I'd owe $40-something (he prorated it)! I'm willing to be what I really owe is the bottom, and they'll charge, as they've done to me before, late fees, and I'll call them and tell them they told me I owed nothing, and they'll say they have no record of it!

Cox are a bunch of liars and cheaters.

nothing but problems

I have been using COX HD services with no problems for over 3 years until end of February 2017 when first problems occurred (-> loosing HD channels).

After a few technical attempts to fix - no results. With CABLE card in "analog" Channels (below 100 except for 95) do not work - HD channels (> 700) are ok. Without Cable card the "analog" chanels are ok but HD channels do not work.

COX is unable to fix this and claims that I should get a Cable Box. The Cable box is more expensive ($10/m, and introduces unnecessary clutter instead of a Cable card tht is inexpensive ($1.99/m) and simple to operate (no additional wires or remotes.

COX customer service is unable to solve the problem, does not return any calls and makes it difficult if not impossible to escalate the issue that would lead to a successful solution.

• Ri
    Richard Wallen Aug 20, 2007

We relocated from LA to TX where Cox Communications does not have service available. We held the same service with Cox since 2017. I accessed the website and left a message last month requesting email forwarding service so I could continue using and PAYING for the email service once I transferred out of the state. No problem one entity told me we can take care of your service needs. They actually called and led me through at least 6 different people before I was sent to someone who told me NO we don't offer that service. So instead of allowing me time to make a transition, as soon as the account was closed all service was terminated even though I was billed through the end of the billing cycle. Not recommended, use EaTEL instead as they have a much better customer service support system.

• Mi
    Michelle Reed Aug 05, 2008

Here we go AGAIN! This goes on ALL the time. Yesterday, MONDAY, the computer and T.V. through COX Communications in Tulsa was completely off. Today, the t.v. goes on for 2 seconds, then freezes for 5 seconds. When you call the "technical support" team down at Cox, we are supposed to believe they are "upgrading" the system. I'm fed up with the constant "upgrades" and having to pay for the "upgraded" bill. This is just a lie, from my experience, to cover for their poor system that they will NEVER repair. This is the worst cable system I have ever seen.

When you ask them to adjust your bill they lie and say, "of course". Then you get the bill and nothing has been done. I'm about ready to shut everything off. This is more frustrating than NOT having service. Dial up computer would be faster. High speed my ***!

Has anyone seen the commercial where the Cox Executives hand a large check over to charity? I love that one. They take TOTAL credit for donating money but never ever even once, acknowledge where the money came from. OFF THE BACKS OF HARD WORKING PEOPLE that they continually raise rates on and lower standards of service. Cox is TRULY an EVIL company!!

COX COMMUNICATIONS IN TULSA ARE NOTHING BUT THEIVES AND LIARS. THEY MAKE BILLIONS BUT ARE TOO CHEAP TO PAY OVERTIME TO UPGRADE THE SYSTEM AT NIGHT. THEY WOULD RATHER STEAL FROM THEIR CUSTOMERS RATHER THAN LOSE ONE RED CENT!!

May there be a special place in Hell for this corporate thief!

• Ac
    Ace11 Jun 19, 2009

I've just recently had internet service turned through Cox communications after shopping around for service, as I use to be a Cox customer in the past. And I should of never came back to their horrible service, but we here in Las Vegas have little choice as Cox has most services monopolized. So I returned (unfortunately), I signed up for a promotion of 8mps DSL for $29.99 for the first 6 months. But of course the internet speed doesn't even run close to that, not even half. The only way they can fix it is send a technician, which of course I have to pay for and negets the savings from the promotion. The only other solution is to downgrade service to slower internet speeds, but I'm sure those won't be what they promise either, so where does it end ? The customer service is the worst by far of any support lines, very unhelpful, and unpleasant to deal with. This service is not worth it.

• Be
    Bentley13 Aug 20, 2009

I have been trying for almost three years to receive even adequate service from COX. They have the poorest service and poorest technical support of any company I have engaged in the Phoenix area.

• We
    WeddingMan Jun 21, 2010

• 05
    0508 Sep 03, 2010

I received my bill today and there was an on demand purchase made on aug 16th for 15.99. I asked my husband if he ordered any movies this month and he said no. So I went back in my calender and realized that that was a date that we were both working and the kids were over my mother house for babysitting purposes. So noone was even in my house. So I called cox and asked what the charge was from and the rep said 'an adult movie' and gave off the name of some movie. I told him no one was home that day/evening and he said 'well someone ordered it. '
    I told him this was rediculous because I have paystubs to prove that noone could have been in my home that knows the pin code to order, which he said was endered in on the box.
    He told me sorry but there was nothing he could do. I just resigned my services aug 10th for another year so I was curious if someone elses account got crossed with mine. He kind of laughed. I was so mortified to be fighting over an adult movie, one that we didn't even order.
    Finally he decided to credit our account back, but told me that this never happens. I am happy with that result, but I asked what happens if it goes on my bill again? He said we will just have to pay it. I asked if there is a way they can see if someone is stealing cable off my line, and that maybe that happened. He said they don't investigate that. It's my responsibility to know where the lines are going!! Whatever. Just keep an eye on your charges.

• An appointment was set up 5 days prior to installation, an appointment was set up from8am to 8pm- missed worked so I can be home for the installer and it came to find out my order was not even in placed, I've wasted all morning because of this!!! So disappointed, I don't deserve this!!! Gave me a confirmation number but didn't even have the courtesy to call me or anything, what a waste of my time!!!

never again

Cox Communications may well be the most offensive cable company I've ever dealt with. Within two weeks of doubling my monthly rate to $165 (which they did because my promotional period expired), my television went completely blank for several months. I called Cox technicians several times in an attempt to fix the problem over the phone, but that didn't work. I then scheduled a service call, but wasn't home when the technician arrived because a work-related emergency came up. Then I got extremely busy and simply did not have the time to wait at home for a technician to show up. All this time, I continued in good faith to pay my bill on time and in full and just hoped that somehow the service would be restored. Of course, it wan't, so I finally called Cox and dared to ask for a credit for at least part of the time I had no cable TV service. They not only refused, but said it was my fault that I didn't sit at home and wait for their technician. They also refused to accept any responsibility for the cable service going down in the first place. Cox's billing people were rude, insulting, and made it sound like it was all my fault that my service was down for months because I didn't make the time to sit at home and wait for their technician. There are many more sordid details to this story, but you get the picture. These people don't care a whit about their customers. When there's a problem, they blame the customer, take the money, and add insult to injury by treating you rudely. I'm done with Cox Communications. Never again.

• Do
    douglas pu Nov 10, 2014

your not alone...on mass people should withold payment to these absolute criminals. its left such a bad taste in my mouth i wont come back. i will be spending the rest of days in some other country that isn't full of companies like this...what a shame...i suspect their is a lot of us snowbirds that feel this way. i know i will be posting it all over the sites on how i was treated here . nothing but a bunch of scam artist...i would be better off in mexico,

• Do
    douglas pu Nov 10, 2014

pretty sad..don't even want to deal with another service provider here in the united sates cause all i hear is they are all thieves...my money will be gone. i came here to enjoy my retirement not argue monthly with cox. innovation, good customer care...i have never been treated worse and i have been all over the world...AMERICA...this is now another person in another country thats not gonna have anything nice to say about you. i'm just one person but i have memberships to site for retirement living. i will be posting my experience . company's like cox will if left alone. make the honest hard working people of your country and state( arizona) suffer because people like me will just go where somewhere else. there lots of warm places...

my phone bill

I am trying to get a copy of my bill. I phoned Cox. My phone number was not recognized by the system even though Cox installed it themselves. I tried several times. Same result. I phoned. They said the bill was sent. However, I had ebills so the bills were sent to Bank of America where I had paid them through online banking. I have since changed banks and wanted to let Cox know that.

They sent my bill to my email address, but they will not discuss my situation without a PIN which I will find -- guess where? -- ON MY BILL.

I have asked them to mail my bill to my home address. They have responded that they have to follow FCC guidlines. I wrote back asking if the FCC prevented them from using the U.S. Post Office.

I am so frustrated I can hardly breathe. I actually asked them in my last email if they were ###ed.

I hope you can resolve this problem. All I want is my bill. I can send their emails to you upon request.68dd

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices