Complaints & Reviews

technical support

I recently started receiving pop up on my computer, i downloaded a couple of pop up blocker programs that came recommended, But I continue to get pop ups. I had talked to friends and they saaid they too were having problems with pop ups. I called today [protected]) and talked to a very nice tech one rep. She helped the best she could but did mention that they had made an upgrade to the system and had been receiving calls about the same problem. She was unable to help me so she sent me to a level two tech who seemed to be bothered my my call. I explained my problem and his answer was "Sure i can help you with that" It will ost $120.00 and how would you like to pay for that. Well, i was floored! I asked if this was new and his answer was he didnt know. I asked if there is anything they could do and he was silent a bit but then said pay the $120.00 and he will fix it. Since i dont have 120.00 sitting in my pocket just waiting to be spent i guess my last resort is to go to circuit city or best buy and try another pop up program. Lets just say my experience with cox cable was beyond crappy. Tech one is willing to help but if you have to go to a tech two then your screwed unless you cough up the money. Guess i wont call for their help anymore.

• At
    athomsfere Aug 31, 2009

The tier 2 you went to likely wasn't for cable, but for PC repair, and these Pop-ups have nothing to do with you ISP, they are an infection or a byproduct of the sites you visit.

A good AV/ firewal should fix it (You should get McAfee free from Cox) or even try a good forum for PC help, I would recommend www.helponthe.net its free, and the people there are more than willing to fix any problem for absolutely free.

mcafee security suite false advertisement

I downloaded the free McAfee Security Suite after I was instructed to uninstall any other security program...

horrible service

I signed up for Cox about 4 months ago for the bundle pack (phone, internet, and cable). Shortly after I...

over head wiring

Cox Communications has left a mess across my property. They were on the property on Monday to fix some sort of breakage in the line. They did not complete their work and left wiring down as low as 3 to 4 feet off the ground across about 2 acres of property. The lines are tagged with streamers over my driveway. When I call, the customer service center only knows how to get a technician here to my house for my service. He said the earliest he can schedule someone is "Tuesday". This is not a home issue with regard to service, it is a safety issue. Any child can pull that wire down. I told him he was putting his company at risk and he stuck with his ability to only schedule on Tuesday. I would hope that Cox could see this is a very UNUSUAL situation that requires more attention than "we will have a tech check it out". When I told him a tech was here yesterday to fix my outage, I was told that no one was here. ???????? Really??????My service was out, I could describe the man...and I am typing this email on Cox service. What is wrong? I was also told that there was no record of Cox trucks being here Monday working on the high wires.

Please encourage people to train representatives to listen carefully before a customer gets this angry. Every once in a while there is a WEIRD problem that someone needs to come out and check. Right away.

• Ka
    Kaos Mar 30, 2009

As Tech Reps they don't have the ability to have someone come out RIGHT AWAY. Doesn't matter if your cable box is on fire and you're running out of your house to avoid the flames. The Customer Support Rep has NO ABILITY to immediately send someone to your home.

And the problem is? Jul 07, 2012

Well that would obviously be a temporary fix as you saw. The technicians can only do so much for what ever happened there in the first place. You never mentioned what happened or maybe you can't. They have to get contractors out there to hang new cable up in the air, and that does not always happed right away depending where it's at. If it's over driveways, then yes they would have no choice to get right on it, but if its where no traffic is, then it could be days. As far ask kids are involved, you keep your kids away, common sense. Cox can't keep mother nature or whoever else from damaging their lines etc. Put your self in their shoes.

• Et
    etal Jul 06, 2013

Cox was grossly negligible by leaving not only a mess, but a fire and safety hazard on your property. In light of the loss of several firefighters in a recent wild fire, this point is driven home. SDGE (San Diego) was faulted for another wild fire due to their neglect of their equipment which was allowed to degrade to the point of being a fire hazard. I would have demanded a supervisor. If the supervisor refused to elevate the situation, then I would have contacted the home office and threatened a small claims action. Chances are, Cox outsource their field techs, but they are still responsible for the company they choose to represent them out in the field. You can also call the Fire Marshall on something like this. They can fine Cox and the subcontractor for violations. You can also contact your area to file complaints against a contract license for what they did. I'm certain if the home office knew they were going to be fine by the fire marshal, they would not hesitate getting someone out there to make things right.

just awful!

I have used Cox Communications for almost 5 years now under my mothers name. I just recently moved into a new house and out of my mothers and ordered Cox thinking I would be getting a GREAT deal since I was a new customer. Boy was I wrong. First of all the tech that came to install got saw dust all over my new living room floor and furniture. He left all the wires going to the computer, phone and TV in a huge knot and to top it off, the box on the side of my house he left opened with the cover to in on my driveway!
I was so upset to see this when I got home. I called and complained and they told me they would send someone out the next day, did they? NO! I had to wait over the weekend for someone to come and clean up after themselves.
When I thought this was the end of it... boy was I wrong! Next came all the hidden fees. I signed up for a bundle which should have saved me money. It was called the Max View Bundle cause we watch TV quite often. It said on line it should come with free HBO and Cinemax... turned on my TV... neither was on there. The went to use our DVR... didn't work... they gave us the wrong box. So I had to go and pick one up myself and call to have HBO and Cinemax put on.
Then I go to use my phone... no caller ID or call waiting! Is this the stone age? Since when does a bundle that should save you money not include caller ID and call waiting... but instead includes "phone tools" to let you listen to your messages online... I don't want that. I want to see who is calling when I am at home! So call and they charge you extra for that... You would think this would be the end of it... NO! Get my bill and they charge me an extra $10 for Cinemax. I call and they say oh that is right. There are TWO Max View Bundles... one with just HBO for free and the other with BOTH for free but that ones cost an extra $10... so I ask... what would it cost if I switched from the HBO and Cinemax one to just the HBO one with Starz... oh the same... WHAT THE HELL!!!

Long story short... Cox Communications is a horrible company to have for cable... It is really too bad that they are the ONLY company that I can use in my location other than a dish... it is also too bad that they have the BEST internet around... other wise I would have switched a LONG time ago!!!

• Aa
    aaron posey Aug 21, 2008

same thing happen to me same thing this is horrible

Sarah Oct 17, 2008

You are so right! I too signed up for the Cox Bundle in July and it was a nightmare. I had to make about 3 dozen calls where I sat on hold each and every time and was put through all of the automated garbage before being connected to a real person. Then I had 6 different service guys out here on six different days before they got everything working "correctly" but that didn't last long! Phone calls didn't come through to me half the time (people told me that my phone rang and rang and I never answered ... well, it never rang on my end!) and on half a dozen long distance calls I was disconnected while in the middle of the call. My TV's were constantly "tiling" ...that's a term I learned from Cox. Of course my connections to the internet were frequently interrupted as well.

Would I recommend Cox Bundle? NEVER! I used most of my cell phone minutes just phoning COX to report problems! Thank goodness my cell phone is from a different company.

• Am
    Amanda Nov 12, 2008

Cox is pure garbage. It took them 3 weeks to set up my account because the last tenant returned everything but forgot to turn off his phone line and they could never get ahold of him. So I had to fax and re-fax my lease THREE TIMES. This past night was the worst though, they said to just fax the lease again and they'd call me RIGHT BACK. I asked "are you sure I'll get a call back tonight because I'm waiting here". Oh sure, yup a call right back.

2 hours go by (meanwhile I'm at work waiting past hours because it's the only fax machine I have) and I call back. Oh sorry, the department that can "verify" the lease won't be back until tomorrow and they left 3 hours ago. WHAT THE HELL.

Plus, they charged me $500 for equipment even though I asked them to transfer my account instead of close it. That was a whole other ordeal I needed to get sorted out with them. So unorganized.

Beyond that, I've had to return 3 DVRs in the past because they give you used ones that don't work. Plus Internet is always shutting off and going back on. Pure garbage I tell you. I wish there was another service provider in my area (RI)

• Jc
    j clarke Mar 13, 2011

I really don't understand the objection to providing a copy of the death certificate.

incorrect billing using autopay

This is only my point of view of this major communications conglomerate, but with that being said, I believe they should be brought up on charges. If you take anything from this tale, it should be & ldquo;do not sign up for autopay with cox!”

My story starts in a rather benign way with purchasing cox communications to supply my tv and internet access to my household. I have had them for years since they were my only choice. (Can we cay monopoly?) only recently my husband and I reviewed our bill to find that we were paying a lot more and getting way less compared to various new satellite communication companies. We thought what could be better than getting more and paying less in this newly monetarily restrictive climate. Making the decision to change from cox to satellite tv we made the calls and settled on a new provider. All that was left was to call cox and cancel. Sounds simple enough, right?

Here is where cox’s dark noxious cloud settled over our household.

On a saturday afternoon, after 5 pm, I called cox to cancel my account. They tried to argue that I never called in to complain about the service so why should they need to cancel my service. Working in a service industry, this was absurd to me! Why would I need to justify my dislike of a product to get it canceled? I don’t want it any more… I have moved on… this is a break up and no we can not be friends… this it is in my right to cancel? After the cox representative forced me to come up with some bogus answer involving conspiracy theories, aliens and the need to wear tinfoil hats, she finally let me cancel the service. [this reason for canceling was for my amusement only; we all know aliens come through the toaster ;)] I had five days to return their battered cable boxes and I would even be getting a refund of $75 for part of the month.

Monday morning, I got up and doing my usual monday routine I grabbed coffee and got on line to read the news and check my bank account. The need for coffee became no longer needed when I found that cox had gone into my checking and withdrew over $600 for no viable reason. After getting the household off to summer camp and work I got on the phone with cox to ask them the ever elusive question of & ldquo;what the hell!”

After speaking with a high number of doltish ###ic representatives I was finally transferred to the credit department. The credit departments response boils down to & ldquo;oops, so sorry, this debit is our fault, but we will refund your money in 5 to 7 days”. It has always amazed my how they can withdraw funds overnight but it takes an act of congress to put the stolen money back.

It is now wednesday and still the account sits empty of the $600+ so I being proactive decide to call them and check on the progress. The all new doltish representative tells me they are waiting on the collection of the cable boxes to even process the & ldquo;oops, so sorry, this debit is our fault, but we will refund your money in 5 to 7 days” deposit. When I exclaim, in a slightly panicked and pissed off state, you have your stupid boxes and remotes I am once again placed on hold. After what felt like 10 minutes, she came back with the comment of & ldquo;oh, here they are. We can process your refund now”. It is everything I can do to maintain my composer and not release a tirade of expletives and adjectives that would probably just make her ears bleed.

Now, maybe to you $600+ is not that much money but to our household it was to cover groceries, gasoline and the power bill for the house let alone a little bit a cushion till payday. Now I find myself pawing through the pantry looking for anything I can put together and call dinner (In the looses sense of the word) and coasting the best I can if I have to drive anywhere to save every drop of gas I can till either cox replaces the money they stole or payday, which ever comes first.

Thank you for reading my rant and I hope at the very least you do not sign up for autopay with cox. (Or cancel before it’s too late).

• Bo
    BOB MULLAY Apr 19, 2011

Take heed, do not put Cox Communications on bank auto pay!

I just took them off. One of the girls from Cox tried to convince another girl at my financial institution to release money from my account. It almost happened but I changed to another banking institution just in time!

San Diego area.

• Co
    cox cable Jun 10, 2014

You are not going to like this.To begin with, you have enough commercials on TV and very, very loud I wear hearing aides and even if I turn them all the way down it still is very, very loud.Next, I get enough commercials on TV, I would like it if you people would be be nice and TAKE THEM ALL OFF.It's a pain in the butt when you are doing something and be cut off from a ---- commercial.A long time ago, last year around this same time I was sending a long note and to a very close friend when my screen went to a light brown, stayed that way for a very long time and when I finally got my screen back guess what was on it, A COX CABLE COMMERCIAL and I ended up losing the whole d--- thing.Can I send another one?He passed away soon after that.I was into the V.A. portion trying to find something and kept being interrupted from stupid COMMERCIALS.It's VERY, VERY ANNOYING.I bought this thing to get away from all the loud and dumb things on tv.SO, IT IS A PAIN TO KEEP CORRECTING WHAT I AM DOING.I'M TO D--- OLD TO GET AGGREVATED BECAUSE OF WHAT YOU PEOPLE ARE DOING.Thanks for listening, I hope this does some and I don't mean filling up the waste basket.

unfair practices

Dropped channels that were originally included in my basic package. Tuesday morning I had TMC on channel 60 and a program guide on channel 69, and Tuesday evening they were gone!! Also other things like the History channel and Animal Planet and several others were on some other station number so without a program guide they are difficult to locate. When I called the company they told me that in order to continue getting TMC I would now have to up grade my package for an additional cost of $20.00!! No warning. nothing, just oh, you'll have to pay more now to get what we promised in your original package.

poor customer service

Over the years I have dealt with cox communications because it is the only cable company available in my area...

scientific atlanta cable cards

I've been a TiVo subscriber for 11 months and I’m using the HD DR with two Scientific Atlanta cable cards provided by Cox Communications. On four occasions within a six month period one or both of my cable cards have needed to be replaced by Cox. Each time this happens we loose the opportunity to see several programs we thought were being recorded – then we loose our service for the three days it takes for Cox to make the repair – and then someone needs to be home for three or four hours waiting for the repairman. To say that this is an inconvenience is an understatement.

We are not accustomed to buying inexpensive equipment with unreliable performance. Our lifestyle is quite the opposite and this lack of reliable service from a piece of TiVo equipment or Cox Communications is very frustrating. I don’t know whose equipment is at fault – Cox says it’s TiVo and TiVo says it’s the Scientific Atlanta cards. I find it hard to believe that with all the cable subscribers using Scientific Atlanta cards and TiVo in this country that an incompatibility between these two pieces of equipment would be tolerated.

If the problem is with TiVo, I would appreciate some proof of that from Cox to use against them to force their prompt solution. If the problem is with Cox and their Scientific Atlanta cable cards, I want a full credit for my subscription fees for the past six months and to know what is being done to resolve this issue. I’m tired of being in the middle and paying full price for completely unreliable service and subjecting my household to these aggravating annoyances.

• Du
    duckguy Feb 09, 2010

Use to be a Tech for cox in virginia. The problem was the cable cards. What was the problem? I have no idea but I hated working with the darn things.

poor internet connection and customer service

This company has the worst customer service possible. I schedule an transfer of service 1-2 months in...

pay per view charges

I recently reviewed my cable bill and noticed a charge for a pay per view I nor my wife nor my cat had ordered. The title was “1 grl takes’em all”. I honestly had not ordered this movie. I called to complain about it and the lady told me there was nothing she could do about it. She said the only way any pay per view material could be ordered was with my remote. Also they never refunded pay per view or on demand, especially adult material. Of course at this point I could not prove that I had not ordered and watched this movie. I was going to give up but I asked if there where any more ppv orders and she said, “yes, 3 more“. Three more!! I have only lived here 4 months, that’s one a month! Each order was $12.99! So I hung up the phone and called my wife to be sure she had not ordered them. No she hadn’t. I called back ready to cancel all service (I had just canceled cable and kept internet and phone) and give them a peace of my mind. The girl that answered was polite and said that she could not reverse the charges but her manager could. Her manager gladly reversed the charges and told me she had to put a block on pay per view.

I had been charged $51.96 over four months.

There was no way to prove I had not ordered them. It was my word against hers.

Be careful!! Watch your bill!!

• Me
    Mel May 07, 2008

Has happened MULTIPLE times to us. Exact times when we were in the hospital, no one in the house for weeks on end. Usually adult related ones. Guilty no matter what, at mercy of cox cable. They have no reason to research why since they are getting the money and just don't care. Many of the movies ordered within minutes of each other. Malicious hacking!!!

Gloria Jul 26, 2008

It was not malicious hacking. You do realize that your box is your responsibility & whether or not you want to believe it, those movies were ordered from your box. When we credit your account, we LOSE money...we have to pay for those services to the broadcasters.

fraudulent bait-switch tactics!

I was lured to Cox communications because I was offered a special price for bundled services for a period of one year by the customer service rep I spoke to. This was for Cable TV, Internet, and telephone. When I got the bill it was far more than I had agreed-to on the phone. It took more than an hour to get resolved and even then the bill was not adjusted to the amount I had agreed to pay. I normally would not have carried the matter too much further, but I found out that my Friend, Lynn Wentz had switched to Cox with the same promises of saving money, and agreed on a rate, only to get the bill and a big surprise that it was not was was agreed, and in fact was a LOT bigger. It may be that what we have discovered is an effort by Cox to bait-and-switch customers and then gouge them. In the absence of an up-front contract price it would be hard to prove, but there IS an implied contract in these dealings and possibly a violation of Federal law. I am posting this to see if other customers in VA are experiencing this anomaly. I am sure Verizon's lawyers would love to find more on this story.

Nova123 Sep 12, 2014

I had similar issues with Cox as regards the bait & switch for pricing in VA, with the 1st bill being more than double the amount promised (including taxes & fees) that I confirmed at least 5 times with various customer service reps, supervisors & Level 2 employees. Cheats & liars, basically, this whole company really., , ,

• Ta
    Tawanna Frazier Lumpkins Jun 21, 2017

I agree. I am experiencing the SAME issues! Told my bundle would cost me $159.04 per month for a year and at the end of the install it was $288!!

• Co
    Cox is a lyer Aug 21, 2018

I just googled this heading and found your post. The exact same thing just happened to me. My husband got a quote
    for $79.00, when the service rep came to my house suddenly all these fees starting adding up. The price out the door
    was at $127.02 per month. That is nearly twice what we were quoted from the telephone rep. I refused to accept the service and sent the Rep. on his way. A few minutes later some telephone rep from Cox who was clearly calling from a country far away wanted to know why I canceled when I told him he could have cared less. Well GOODBYE CABLE,
    there are far many ways to watch TV and to access the internet. Like I am now with my hotspot on my phone that I have with TMobile. COX SUCKS!

• De
    Deekay729 Jul 11, 2019

They're doing it here, in Ohio too!
    They quoted me 39.99 for basic t.v. only and then sent me a bill for 89.99 and told me that's the prorated amount and that my regular bill will be $115 per month!

100.00 rebate

I had recently switched to Cox Communications from Century Tel as my telephone provider saying that If I...

Billing fraud

So between jan-feb my roommate tries to order pay per view movies 15 total. Each time he tries to watch them it comes up with service unavailable so he tries back at a later time with same results.

The bill comes and I have $152.25 bill for 15 movies 4 different movies in all which we never was able to watch. The bill comes in April for movies which where tried to be ordered in jan-feb?

I contact their customer service and they say it was ordered from the cable box and their records show that the movie was sent to the box, and since I did not call them the moment it happened that we paid for a movie and did not get it the charges would stay. They also threw out a BS comment on why it took 2 months for the charges to show up on my bill. "The receiver can down load the information on purchased movies at any time, though it normally does this nightly". In this case it took 2 months to pull?

So to pretty much cox is charging me 152.25 for 15 pay per view movies i never watched between jan-feb and tried to bill me 2 months later in April for it.

• Hi
    HimU85 Jul 22, 2010

We were billed twice for the same transaction (not even billed the same amount).

We had to call them three times to rectify.

We were made to feel like criminals not valued customers (typical of large corporates).

They refused to call us back after us asking them!!!

• Ll
    ll2014 Dec 05, 2014

How did you get the charges fixed. This just happened to us, we just looked at our bill we have 21 charges at $12.99 each totally $277.00 and they are all for porn, which we didn't order.We have called a million different phone numbers and nobody can help us.

Joe Harlin Jun 03, 2016

I've tried and tried to get a second DVR from Cox but they refuse saying since I don't subscribe to all their services I'm only entitled to 1. So I purchased one my self, the same make and model as the one I have from Cox. When I went to install it, I received a code saying it had to be registered with my cable provider. I called Cox and after a while the Cox help desk told me that since I didn't get my DVR from them I could not use it.

How in the world do they have the right to refuse me service for something I bought. What's next if you don't buy their TVs you can't watch shows on their network. Maybe next it will be computers on their internet. Thank goodness they haven't figured out how to stop Vonage routers from working.

What's the difference between a DVR and a video recorder?

in demand movie rental refund

I had purchased a movie for 3.99 on-demand through cox, doing so I am allowed access to the movie for 24 hours, however at mid-night my account fell past due and the access was not granted due to in-demand disconnected itself. When I called in and asked that they either refund the money I spent or allow me to repurchase at no charge once I paid the bill they have refused. Needless to say this 3.99 purchase became a heated debit that caused me to threaten to disconnect all service (high speed internet and digital cable) but this supv was very politely said he will set up the disconnect. Over 3.99 a customer with a monthly rate of 150.00 all I want is to be refunded the charge of the movie or even half the charge since I lost the purchase due to the in-demand disconnects itself on a past due. I can't understand how he represents the company and will disconnect a customer over 3.99

• Em
    Employee Oct 06, 2007

When making a complaint, it would be nice if you gave all the information, and not leave out the stuff that makes you seem like the bad guy.

Your EOD service will not be shut off as soon as your account goes past due. It happens when you get interrupted for nonpayment, weeks (sometimes months depending on your area) after your account goes past due.

How many warnings did you get for your interruption? 3? 4? I'd be surprised if it was any less.

If you are told your service is going to get shut off for non payment, why did you not use your free time to call in and pay your bill, rather than order a movie that you knew was going to be interrupted?

That supervisor did the right thing by agreeing to disconnect your service when you asked. How much you pay monthly quickly becomes irrelevant when you never actually pay it.

Gloria Jul 26, 2008

I agree with the reply, your on demand service is the first affected when your account is past due. If you want your services to work, pay your bill.

• Ki
    killi Nov 30, 2010

You were not disconnected over a 3.99 on demand charge. This company has one of the longest grace periods I have ever seen. Sometimes it is more than three months before they interrupt service. You were disconnected because you don't pay your bill.

outgoing email blocked!

The following is an email I sent to Cox. I sent it to Customer Support and Technical Support and here I am weeks later without a response. I know big shocker. But I've done my homework over the last month and I think I bring up some pretty good points. Take a look:

Ok so I've been through level 3 tech support. I understand that there is nothing you guys can possibly do to help me send mail using my cox account. You've blocked port 25 (which has not made one bit of a difference in how much spam I get). All it really says to me is that you don't believe that I'm not a spammer. Instead of blocking my outgoing "spam", you're actually just preventing me from using my email account at work and conducting business with hundreds of contacts. I refuse to use web mail it is ridiculous and antiquated. So I see one of three solutions. 1) Lose a lot of business. I've talked to countless people besides myself who've encountered the same problem and their ready to just switch providers. 2) Conduct a phone interview to verify the legitimacy of these people (such as myself) claiming to use the email account for business rather than spam. If they are on the level then unblock the port for that account. And finally, not as good of an option 3)At least create an apply for PC AND MAC that allows people to import their address books into the Web mail system. I don't like suggesting that but I am dumbfounded that you all have not thought of it yourselves. You are losing Mac customers by the minute. Customers who might I add are willing to pay twice as much for a computer and file in a higher tax bracket. I'm in film production where macs are mostly used and in an office of 200 people I'm finding out that I'm apparently the last sucker still with Cox.

I'm sorry if this email contains the frustration that I have encountered upon researching the problem created by your company.

One pissed off long time Cox customer.

• Sc
    Scott Ray Nov 20, 2007

I just want to second this statement... I'm in the exact same boat.
    COX get your ### together.

• Su
    suggestion Oct 23, 2008

I just happened upon your post and being that I have a reasonable understanding of how to work around your problem I thought I might offer some suggestions. You have a few different options on how to get around the problem.
    1. Since youre trying to use the email service for a legitimate business purpose, you could pursue the business service that Cox provides. It would provide you with the ability to avoid said blocked port.
    2. If youre not thrilled about coughing up the money to switch over to business service (for what you have made clear is a business purpose), here is a work around. Set up a gmail account and configure it to forward email labeled with your cox email address. Then simply reconfigure your outgoing mail server in outlook to reflect gmail's outgoing server. You should then be able to sent mail regardless of your location.

cox communications won't stop service of deceased parents

My parents had their ISP, television and phone services through Cox Communications of Phoenix, Az. My father passed away September 2004 and my mother kept all services active. My mother passed away June 2006. I informed Cox of her passing and canceled internet and television services with no problem. As the house had a security system using phone lines I kept the phone active and had the billing transferred to my address. All of these actions were done over the phone with no requested identification of me.

In January 2007, I notified Cox that we no longer needed the phone. I was told that I could not make changes (including cancellation of services) without first showing a copy of the trust showing I was the trustee along with a death certificate. I refused their request for such information. They have continued to send bills (now up to 4 months for a total of over $87) despite repeated notifications that the service is canceled. I have been hung up on 3 times when I insisted to speak to a manager rather than to the lead worker at the call center I was speaking to.

I wrote a letter to corporate and received a letter back from someone identifying herself as a manager but with no phone number; the main phone number to the call center. She also noted in her letter to me that my refusal to provide a copy of my parents death certificates was "frustrating their attempts to help me".

I have called in and gone in-person to cancel services. I have written a 2 page letter to Cox canceling the service explaining in detail the history of this account and that it has been canceled. I am now just returning bills with a note indicating that the account has been canceled due to my parents deaths.

Once there is actual competition of services for High Speed Internet I will cancel Cox as my ISP and television services. Deregulation of the Cable industry has been a slam against the consumer.

• Be
    Beans Oct 06, 2007

Around November 2006, there was a change in policy where only people listed on the accounts are able to access the account. This was done to increase security of customer's accounts, and prevent unauthorized changes. It seems like this change occurred between the times when you called to disconnect the cable and internet, and when you called to try to cancel the phone. This is why you were not successful when attempting to disconnect the phone. You simply were not authorized. Obviously situations do arise where customer's do pass away, and leave nobody listed as authorized on their accounts, but there are ways around this, ie. Death Certificates. I'm sure this was explained to you when you called in, probably every time, but i can see why you would leave it out of your complaint, because it makes your post seem less valid. :)

It seems to me, this situation would have been resolved much sooner had you just brought in a copy of the death certificate when this was suggested to you. I'm not really sure why you would not have done that, as it would be much easier than calling in over and over, and writing letters to the corporate office.

I personally feel more secure knowing that a person cannot randomly call my phone company, tell them I'm dead with no proof, and have my account shut down. Don't you?

Gloria Jul 26, 2008

Agree with the last poster, all it takes is a simple copy of a death certificate & the account can be closed. That's it. You were informed of it, but chose to ignore it. How can Cox know that your parents are deceased if you refuse to bring in records indicating it? Kind of silly, right?

• Wa
    Walt Askey Dec 27, 2009

The above two posters are obviously employee's (and probably supv/mgmt stooges) of cox communications. I have had conversations with other people who have gone through the same difficulties with Cox.
    As a post script when the bill was finally sent to collections and they called I explained the difficulty and situation with Cox and they said they have had this problem before and cleared the debt and I haven't heard from them since.

• Ki
    killi Nov 30, 2010

Why don't you just provide them with a copy (photocopy) of the death certificate? You are making this harder than it needs to be.

messed up home theater setup

We purchased a 46" HD t.v. , had Best Buy set it up for $200 with home theater speakers, dvd player and they set everything up on one remote. The one that Cox provides. Everything worked off that remote. However, the signal from Cox disappeared and we were without television until their tech came out two days later. He installed new connections on the back of the HD/DVR box and added something to our cable box outside. The wires he said were very old. He left, we have no home theater or DVD capability anymore. Whatever he did also undid what Best Buy set up. Called Cox and was told we would have to wait five days until a tech could come to the house to fix what they broke. Called and spoke to many tech reps at Cox and all they could say was they could not get anyone out any sooner. We have been a Cox customer for 20+ years, have t.v., five computers and phone through Cox. We are without the $200 service that Best Buy set up for us and they would charge us for trying to right Cox's inability to service their HD/DVR boxes correctly. I was also told by a Cox tech rep that I could contact the DVD manufacturer. There is nothing wrong with the products it is Cox inexperienced techs they send out. They absolutely refused to help in any way except to say "the soonest is five days until a rep can assist you". So we are now without our $3,000 home theater set up because of their mistakes.

They are in total denial that they could do anything wrong. Try to find a way to contact their corporate offices to lodge a formal complaint - absolutely no info on any type of contact point except the local offices which are the one's who could care less.

illegal billing

We have Cox internet and cable, but Qwest telephone, so on Nov 11, 2006 I switched from Qwest to Cox..telephone service.. well, after they made the switch, we had no telephone service for the first 5 days, finally they sent a technician to fix it, 3 days after we called. Then the phone worked, but the fax line rang several times a day and noone was on the line, so I called again and again, so they sent a different technician twice in 2 days, and it still rang, so we gave up. Now I get my monthly bill, and they added $27 to our bill for "repair"..trying to fix what they installed improperly..so I called them today and they said they would put in that I dispute the charge and let me know the result on Dec. 27th...Is this robbery or what??

no customer skills!

Hooked up digital service and left us with no sound. We payed for Circit City to hook up our up our sound when the TV was delivered and Cox unhooked it and has yet to send a tech that has a clue. This took place Tues November 28th. They scheduled a tech November 30th to fix sound but no one came. They also charged us for a High Speed Internet modem that they forgot to bring and I went to a retail store to pick up and self installed. They have no customer skills and I want what I payed for, Sound!

• Kk
    K Kraemer Dec 19, 2006

COX COMMUNICATIONS, PHOENIX AZ

I have been through a three month customer service nightmare !

August 2006, added high speed internet to my existing service of phone and digital cable. Purchased modem from Cox. Went home and tried to install the product only to find that the original install done by COX three years ago was done incorrectly. Instead of putting an outlet in each room as requested, they put a splitter with co-axe and pulled it into two rooms. When I tried to connect the high speed internet, there was not enough signal to run both the TV and Internet. I called to set up a service call for an single outlet in each room. Two week later a "genius" technician showed up and said " It's a splitter problem, I can't fix this" and left ! I called back and rescheduled another appointment with COX for a outlet installation. The earliest appointment was three week later. In the mean time, I got my monthly bill which included a charge for a service call for $45.00 ! I called back....I was told "We can't take the charge off until the work is rescheduled and completed". I waited for the next technician to show up....(more time off work). This time the technician started running co-axe all over the outside of my house, only to get half way around and state "This bush is too big, and it has thorns. You must remove it before I can complete the work". Fine, I called back and said "I have no internet service, I should not be charged AND as soon as I can get someone to trim the hedge I will call to reschedule for the third time a service appointment". Two weeks later a technician was rescheduled for Sunday "between 1:00 and 3:00". Additionally I was now having issues with my digital TV service, so I called again and asked if they could send someone at the same time as the outlet installer already planned. The answer was "No, it has to be someone else". So that Sunday, I waited for the outlet installer to show up "between 1:00 and 3:00" and the TV person to show up "between 3:00 and 6:00". At 3:00 pm no one had shown up, so I called AGAIN. I was told "He was there and no one was home, he tagged the door and called to leave a message" I WAS HOME AND THE PHONE ON THE ENTIRE DAY. I told them to check the phone records...no one called. I was also informed that because this guy didn't show up...they cancelled the TV call ! THIS MAKES DAY THREE WASTED WITH NO SERVICE. After I calmed down I called back to speak to a manager and was told someone would call me back..no one did. Then I come home from work a couple of days later...my service had been turned off !!!!!! I called again, I was told I was $152.00 past due and service would remain off until I paid (for service I was NOT getting). I called back the next day and asked to speak to a manager....I was connected to the incredibly RUDE Marisa. I was told there never was a service call set up for the prior Sunday "We never set up calls for Sunday", and because I "took so long to reschedule the service call after the "bush to big" guy, they were not going to discount my bill ! So now I'm being told I am a liar and need to pay for service not received !!!!!

I CANCELLED ALL SERVICE WITH COX COMMUNICATIONS AND WILL GO TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH TO MAKE SURE EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT KIND OF CRIMINALS THEY ARE.

• Bo
    Bobby Schaefer May 03, 2007

I couldn't agree more!

If you want to complain for changes send your complaints in writing to: Kevin Sonoda, c/o City of Scottsdale, 3939 N. Drinkwater Blvd., Scottsdale, AZ 85252 Phone (480) 312-4138

A letter provides a paper trail so send it certified return receipt. Make sure it is dated and ask for all problems to be settled with in the time frame required by law.

Make sure all communications are in writing as this gives you the legal leg to stand on.

• Mr
    mrs macias Jan 07, 2008

My bill is due the 4th of every month ---- they upgraded me without asking to a higher internet speed ---- upon calling and getting this corrected the associate said i was past my "due date" and would need $40.11 to bring account current to correct the upgraded mistake, which i did on the 14th---- on the 22nd of the month a new bill cycled stating i had not paid $28.53 that was "due" on the 4th ----- upon receiving notice on 5th of the next month that my service was to incur a disconnection fee if $28.53 was not paid in 2 days, i called customer service and got someone who wanted to only explain that it was my fault for not paying the $28.53 prior to 12/22/2007 and naturally i asked to speak with a supervisor ----- i asked the supervisor to specifically explain what the $40.11 paid on 12/14/2007 had been applied to since it was not the $28.53 past due amount and the supervisor said he didn't know since he wasn't the person who had taken the payment (since when do supervisors not assume responsibility for the mistakes of the people under them?) ---- at that point i asked for his manager and he then informed me his only manager had left for the day due to a medical emergency and that she would call me back the next day to resolve the issue ----- this phone call from the manager has yet to come ----- are we to not have cable or internet service, in an effort to protect ourselves from the scams these companies are running??? Is there no type of legal group out there to exploit and right the wrongs cox communications is bestowing on their customers??? Rant over, but hopefully others will speak out against this type of unnacceptable behavior and not just let it slide, so that differences can be made.

• Wh
    whine to go w/ my cheese Dec 08, 2010

About a month ago, my husband's work email started getting thrown in the Spam folder without my knowledge because we use Outlook to open Cox email instead of logging into the web based. I chatted w/ someone who was able to fix it & for about a month or more we were ok. It started happening again & I called but got someone who didn't have skill set to answer or help. She just said, "I can't tell you why its happening & I can't help you". Since I was able to log into the web based email & pull it out of spam filter + check the option "this is not spam" every single time, the support tech thought it was ok. What a pain in my drain. I called the next day & got someone who gave a better explanation: my husband's signature had hyper links to his company's site, facebook, twitter & a facebook "like" button. He removed everything but the company logo so its still happening. I put his address on safe sender's list, not helping.