Costcoorganic whole milk contains fish oil

K Review updated:

I have been purchasing Organic milk from Costco from last 3 years. Last week i brought oragnic milk and i also conusmed some of the cartons, without knowing the milk has a fish oil.

How come an Organic milk has ingredients like FISH OIL.

When you say ORGANIC means it is pure and should not contain any additives or preservatives. The product did mentioned omega-3, but there are natural omega-3 found and we dont suspect the milk can have fish oil in it.

The product is called ORGANIC WHOLE MILK, if you add Fish Oil, the name should be something else. This is misguiding the people.

We are a vegetarian and consumed the milk without knowing it has a fish content. I would like to request you and mark these product appropriately and i also want my money back for these products.

Costco should change the name of this product, ORGANIC WHOLE MILK should be just milk and should not contain fish oil.

• Sk
    sk10 Jun 17, 2010

I too have not liked this. If we wish to get omega-3 we can do so separately. Why add it in milk?

• So
    Somommy Aug 21, 2010

Waa waa...suck an organic egg veg head!

• Cb
    cbhavsar Sep 20, 2010

So this milk is not Organic and pure Vegetarian. why Cosco is selling as Organic Milk!! I believe there is legal and misleading info...

• Mi
    Milton Thomas Oct 30, 2010

You should always read the labels of the food/drink you buy. This is on you.

norma cortez Nov 16, 2011

We buy nuts all the time this was a 4lb mixed nuts, my husband loves them they were dry and some rotten just bought them yesterday expiration no, 17 oct.13c no11290g313s vn64919 I don't know what all those numbers mean

Sai gir Nov 28, 2011

I agree to change the name

Sai gir Nov 28, 2011

I agree please change the name or let us know from where the omega 3 is coming

• Mk
    mknagin Feb 26, 2012

My nephew has a fish allergy and became very ill after consumption. It was NOT made clear at all that they added the fish oil. There should absolutely be a warning label when formulations are changed. For those who say, "You should always read the labels of the food/drink you buy. This is on you", you are correct, but if someone has been eating or drinking a particular food for a long time, they go on the assumption that all is status quo. It is a consumer safety issue when the public is not notified. It's not hard for Costco to put up a warning sign. On a different note, I'm disgusted by some of the above comments..."Waa waa...suck an organic egg ved head"...I only hope the fool who wrote that has to endure what my 19 month old nephew did. Idiot.

• Ss
    Ssrd Sep 11, 2012

I agree with that they should display clearly the source. I bought only once then I never bought organic whole milk in Costco when I learned DHA source is fish. I buy Horizon whole milk with DHA for my baby. I am not a vegetarian, but I don't like the fact that adding sea food or meat based things in milk. I sent an email to Costco about not displaying anything about the DHA source on outer box which we see when we buy it. I got the acknowledgement email but don't know wha happened after that. I never cared to check. I buy only 1% organic milk which is also costly if you compare with store brands of Krogar, Publix, Walmart and etc. in fact, Kroger and Publix has two cow ratings in organic milk category, but no ratings to Costco as they don't share the data and source of milk. We have to just go with brand, but hiding full information on organic whole milk does not live up to it's brand.

• Brenda* Sep 11, 2012

Organic foods are foods that are produced using methods that do not involve modern synthetic inputs such as synthetic pesticides and chemical fertilizers. Organic foods are also not processed using irradiation, industrial solvents, or chemical food additives. Google the USDA definition of organic.

• Ji
    JISCal2 Sep 11, 2012

All units!! All units!! Converge on Brenda. She is really the Madconsumer. GO GET HER!!!

• Dc
    DC_RICK Sep 13, 2012

Completely agree, would love to buy that milk except for the fish oil, Fish Oil has mercury and PCBs unless it is rigorously tested which I doubt is being done. We can get omega-3 from other sources.

Costco really has a lot of legal liability here if it turns out there is any contamination at all. It is very misleading to sell Organic milk with inorganic components.

• At
    Athena_00 Apr 11, 2019

@DC_RICK Is Fish Oil Safe? What About the Mercury? | Consumerlab.com

"ConsumerLab.com's tests of fish oil supplements have found none to contain mercury and most, although not all, to have only trace levels of PCBs (which can't be fully avoided since PCBs are found in water everywhere). A serving of fish meat is likely to contain far more contamination than a fish oil supplement."

And fish oil, inorganic?

Definition of inorganic:

"1 a (1) : being or composed of matter other than plant or animal : MINERAL
    (2) : forming or belonging to the inanimate world
    b : of, relating to, or dealt with by a branch of chemistry concerned with substances not usually classed as
    organic
    2 : not arising from natural growth : ARTIFICIAL"

Not so much.

• We bought and consumed one of the 3 cartons in the Costco pack, before discovering the ingredients label. What was sold as "milk" is indeed fish-oil-milk. Quite deceptive.

• Brenda* Dec 24, 2012

Fish oil is organic .

marlasil May 05, 2013

I do not know about this "fish oil" in this particular brand, but for Horizon it seems it is actually algae oil, which is vegetarian and perfectly fine for anyone with a fish allergy. Nevertheless, the product should say it bigger and explain where it is coming from. It would make more sense if it read, organic milk with DHA added from "____" source, on the front.

• Sh
    ShwetaNY Jun 07, 2013

I am a strict vegetarian and have been using this organic milk for past 2-3 years. But only yesterday I noticed the whole milk carton said Fish Oil as an ingredient in the milk. I was very shocked. I totally agree they should change the name of the milk. How can a milk be just milk if you add fish oil. It should be clearly printed in the front in bold letters that it contains Fish Oil. I am not just vegetarian by choice but by religion too. I could not sleep yesterday night thinking how many times I might have consumed this Milk with Fish oil during my religious fasts. I am really hurt by this. I am always very careful when by stuffs and always look whats in it but never ever have thought that I should look the ingredients of milk and that too milk that Costco claims to be organic milk. When you pick a box of milk that says Organic Whole Milk, it should only contain Organic Whole Milk. This is very painful for me.

Annaclaireo Dec 05, 2013

Fish oil in milk taste awful. Why Costco? Why do that to my milk? I paid twelve bucks for fishmilk that I cannot even bring myself to drink it's so nasty. I want my money back!

• Ri
    Richard Dimsey Aug 05, 2017

@Annaclaireo You cannot taste the fish oil that has been added to the milk. However, I would prefer to have my milk without the addition of the fish oil.

Annaclaireo Dec 05, 2013

I want my money back. I paid $12 for fishmilk so gross it's not fit to drink. Seriously who came up with this idea? Who on earth woke up one day and said "ya know I think fishmilk is a good idea." It isn't. I want my money back seriously.

• Sl
    slynn1 Dec 09, 2013

Buy almond milk instead. It is lower in fat and better for you and cows are not exploited.

• Gi
    Ginnyspal Jan 15, 2014

My niece started to have an anaphylatic reaction after the first sip of milk. Fish oil does not belong in milk. There is no excuse for this. We read the labels on everything new, but never thought to question something we have always known to be safe.

• Bu
    bumbleb2014 Feb 05, 2014

today I brought a carton of milk when I went to open it the plastic lid was so tight I could not open it due the milk carton being weak .when I finaly opened it the carton split . I'm am not happy with what happend I want some action taken2

sam267 Jul 07, 2014

I just came to know and was surprised that the ingredients of organic whole milk would contain fish oil and fish gelatin(grounded bones). What next in the name of organic milk? will NEVER BUY this brand of organic milk again. Thx for spreading the awareness.

• Re
    readthelabels Jul 30, 2014

The fish oil is added so that the milk will contain more DHA, this, if you notice is only added to whole milk, not lower milk fat varieties, this is done for toddlers and infants who are drinking cows milk in addition to or instead of formula or breast milk. Many brands offer organic whole milk varieties both with and without the additions. And fish oil can be organic.

• Ki
    Kirkland milk Jul 31, 2014

We buy Kirkland non fat milk in two pack containers and use it in coffee.Today a large deposit appeared in the bottom of the coffee.Does anyone have a similar occurrence ?

• Ad
    Adarsh T Sep 19, 2014

I totally agree with the author of this article and have been buying the so called organic milk without knowing that it has fish oil until recently I learnt. This is so wrong on part of the Costco for misguiding its loyal consumers. Costco needs to do something about it fast.

maccy16 Jan 22, 2015

I recently returned from college and my family has this milk. I have been home for one month and have had many allergic reactions that have been close to hospital level. Finally we figured out it was this goddamn milk. I don't like whole milk very much so I only add a bit to my coffee and so the dose was small enough to not kill me but I would have to use a nebulizer and take a lot of benadryl to help my breathing. Really wish there was a warning label. I missed work and was sick for hours every time this happened.

• Fr
    freeg Jan 26, 2015

Yes, I do agree that it should be clearly stated in label that it contains fish oil. Unless otherwise stated clearly, no one will have the doubt to check the ingredients for milk.

• Dr
    dr. p Feb 07, 2015

The original complaint, which is totally legitimate, was made such a long time ago! If I'm still writing this to agree with it (as a vegetarian, I too was shocked to have been misled), it doesn't seem like Costco is taking any of this seriously. Perhaps a class action suit might get their attention? By the way, their lowfat organic milk has Vitamin A Palmitate, which may or may not be "vegeterian" (usually fish or synthetic). Until I know for sure that it is vegetarian (i.e., they disclose it on their carton), I will no longer be buying it.

• Pa
    payingattention Feb 23, 2015

The OP's complaint is NOT in any way legitimate, additives or preservatives are added to a lot of Organic foods, Organic is about being "Natural", and not directly related to being additive or preservative free, good god at least do your research first.

Taken directly off Wiki "Organic farming in general features cultural, biological, and mechanical practices that foster cycling of resources, promote ecological balance, and conserve biodiversity. Synthetic pesticides and chemical fertilizers are not allowed. Processed organic food usually contains only organic ingredients. If non-organic ingredients are present, at least a certain percentage of the food's total plant and animal ingredients must be organic (95% in the United States, [22] Canada, and Australia). Foods claiming to be organic must be free of artificial food additives."

As it explains, Organic is in reference to chemicals used on food such as pesticides, and artificial additives. So adding a substance (Omega-3) obtained from natural resources (Fish)in no way "violates" the Organic rule.

On this next part I haven't done the research so don't quote me on this, but Omega 3 only comes from Fish and Sheep oil, so these vegetarian alternatives your talking about are probably man made and likely not Organic.

Mamta Midha Oct 05, 2015

It's wrong, I'm strict vegetarian & after 4 months of consumption, I came to know that it contains fish oil & gelatin, change the name at least !!

• He
    heknows Nov 28, 2015

yeah you have to read! its your fault. and by the way organic means "once living". not pure????? also if your vegetarian you shouldn't be drinking milk anyways

• Re
    Reviewer28051 Dec 07, 2015

We can't find the mocha/frappe mixture we normally get at the Bellingham Costco. If you have removed this item from your store, please return this item as it is a favorite in my family. Thank you.

• I've been buying this milk for some amount of years now and only a week ago did I read the ingredients. Originally, I was quite taken aback that I had been drinking fish-milk - I don't even like fish!. After a few moments of deep contemplation, it dawned on me that I don't actually care because this milk is the best tasting whole milk in the world in my opinion. Admittedly, it wouldn't hurt to make the presence of fish more noticeable - for the sake of those with severe fish allergies and what-not.

• Ha
    Halbert Jan 24, 2016

Hello,

Well once you see dha added you should have done your due diligence and read the ingredients... Sorry about your nephew, however you do not have a leg to stand on in court or ethically in my opinion *9 years legal experience, and a pretty good hooman being*

• Va
    Val16 Jun 07, 2016

I'm a vegetarian and would never have thought that they would put fish based product into milk. Yuk!! I have been buying costco organic milk for a while and assumed "organic" meant natural etc..So cannot buy this any more. why would they add fish oil? Is nothing else available? Costco needs to highlight this much clearly and in the front of package.

• Pf
    PFANSSCHMIDT Jun 16, 2016

I went to costco in new rochelle one industrial lane concession 501 - 52 and ordered a pizza pie, the attendant told me it will take about 15 minutes (Simone) , so i came back after 20 minutes and she replied is almost done, i notice that she was doing something around the back with another worker and saw her put in my order in the oven, i ask her is that my pie that you just put in the oven and replied no, so i ask her how come there are no more pizza pies cooking in the oven? And then she replied yes it is your pie, so ask her why did you that that and she replied i'm busy, so i ask her to refund my money and she said your pie is almost done, i said please give me my refund and call a manager, so the manager showed up and my money was refunded, the manager never ask me why i want it my money back or any other reason in this matter.
    I call the corporate office when this happen 03 - 05 - 2015 and spoke to james and i told him the same thing and give him my email [email protected] to let me know the outcome, until today no news, is anybody there can return my email?
    Thank you.
    Allan pfannschmidt customer 111818786116 4x.

• Ki
    Kidhassle Jun 16, 2016

we ordered a medium pizz with three toppings witch where pepperoni ham and extra cheesewe then drove 11 miles to pick it up. when we arived at home with the pizza we found it did not have extra cheese only three peices of ham three peperoni what a rip off and it cost us 11.66 plus the gas to pick it up.

I posted a copy of the reciet below.
    Sincerly Kirk Diehl

• Ri
    richard.jacks Jun 16, 2016

This is a Fake Company. There Customer care is Pathetic, and has no Physical existence. it is operated by fake People, with the help of few people in Pakistan.

• Tr
    TREYI Jun 16, 2016

Advetisments say great pizza their liars ordered several pizzas at. At diffrent times they all sucked don't look like they do on tv

• Wo
    wojosworld Jun 16, 2016

I have had the same issue with them in the past and they no longer get my business...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices