Cost Plus World MarketMistreatment of employees

M

Cost Plus World Market was once an employer that I could talk positively about to anyone, until a year ago when a new supervisor was placed at our store. Shortly after this new person was placed into our store, complaints of bullying, mistreatment and even age discrimination were being talked about by both employees and managers alike. Keep in mind that ALL of this happened in less than a year.

The trouble began with this new supervisor telling a manager that she needed to tell higher-ups that she thought a certain employee who had been with the company for a few years was "useless" so she could replace him. This manager who worked with this person since he was first hired refused to comply to this request, and became the next target of bullying. The alleged "useless" employee was tipped off to what was being done to him could not deal with the stress and bullying quit shortly after.

The next to go was the manager who refused to lie. This person worked for the company for around 6 years, worked her way up to management and was never written up in her life. After months of being bullied and mistreated by the supervisor, she went to Human Resources. HR refused to help, and would not look into the complaints. After a few write-ups, the person was asked to step down to a lower pay grade and position to which she refused and was "suspended indefinitely." She received a letter saying she was fired a few days later.

Next was a department-head who was with the company for 4 years, and also had never been written up at any job before. This person was called into the office by the supervisor one morning and was told that he could be trained to be management if he just changed his hair style. This person spoke to HR multiple times about the wrong doings at the store, and asked that they have someone do an investigation which HR refused to do because it would be "unfair to single out that store." He also spoke with each manager at one time or another, and none would speak up because they said they did not want to be the next person to go. This person was asked to do embarrassing things like walk around with a blown up picture of the toilet with red cleaning fluid in it and tell each employee that "this is not how you clean the toilets." This person was written multiple times with little evidence and sometimes for things that had nothing to do with him. He would be talked down to on the store floor often to the point that coworkers would ask him why the supervisor hated him so much. He was asked to step down or be "suspended indefinitely" like the person before, with the manager of another store (one he never worked for) as the witness.

Other things of note that happened:

One female co-worker asked not to have her wallet in her back pocket because for a woman to have something in her back pocket meant she might be stealing something. This was OK for men to have their wallet in their pocket.

An employee was fired on vacation as a no-call no-show, even though there was a paper with the supervisor's signature saying he could have those days off. She then said fine, but tried to fire him anyways. This employee had an open schedule but the boss only scheduled him one day a week for months, he often tried to get more hours but she refused. When he called to get his hours after vacation she said that since you were only working 1 day a week im firing you anyways.

Something of the same note happened to another worker...she received the "step down" speil and took it. This then lead to her getting only 5 hours a week instead of 38. Any attempts to get hours from other people were shot down even if the other person was interested. For 10 weeks this person only got 5 hours on Sundays, so she got another job, but told them she could work any day but Sunday so she could work her other job. When this woman put in a request for her new hours she was told it was unacceptable, even though the supervisor was only giving her 5 hours a week on that day.

Funnily enough, the person who complained of age discrimination to HR was never bothered again...

• Li
    Liv7 Mar 30, 2011

I only lasted at WM for 2 months. Things started off great, but after just two weeks, my manager began to make degrading comments, speaking to me deliberately very slowly to indicate that I was stupid, etc. I realized his m.o. for not getting caught, he would do these things when no one else was around so that it will always be my word against his. The last straw was when he asked me repeatedly if "my brain was understanding my job description" and I was "trying to drive him to drink." The irony is I loved what I was doing and really didn't want to leave, but after talking to HR and learning that they "wanted to get us in a room together to "work things out" I decided enough was enough. No amount of money is worth the harrassment, and especially not just above min. wage. I encourage people to think twice before applying at this company. If I had been able to record the comments made, I would have a lawyer right now, as it has sent me into a depression I've had a hard time coming out of.

• Mo
    Moloko Apr 12, 2011

That seems to be the way they get away with it. They allow their management to say whatever they want, but if you bring it to Human Resources, they will do nothing to look into it. I also had to start taking medication just to deal with this one manager who did whatever she could to try and get me to quit. I've never had ANY job get to me so badly that medication was an option. It's disgusting how much Cost Plus World Market does not care for it's employees.

• Bo
    Bodi.s.woods Apr 20, 2011

Been with the company for 4+ years. They are a disgusting group of greedy pigs, who hire outside the company in order to save money promoting within. CPWM... You have pissed off the wrong person. Upon reading other posts it seems others agree. Take your fake "rewards" program and shove it where you exploited your employees in the early to late 90's to make a buck...

• Bo
    Bodi.s.woods Apr 20, 2011

This company frequently breaks the law in regards to breaks, leaving many to work longer than is legal. The management puts on a front that they are on your side. ITS ALL A LIE. They play on your feelings and anything to put you in a compramising position. Barry, Sir, I hope you are enjoying your upscale life. Please feel free to take from us, as you do so often. No wonder why CPWM stock is so low. Keep taking. Constantly consuming, conquer and devour... Close a store, open it back up. If only the public knew what happens behinds the stock doors. Let me tell you, the soars on my fingers are proof enough. Good day. If need be, ill see you in court.

• Fo
    Former wage slave Jun 17, 2011

UNIONIZE!!

not losing my job Aug 28, 2011

Been with company 4 years. After constant harrassment by my former GM and peer supervisors I left my position. In my situation, I dealt with race discrimination. I am a white female. The African American staff would stock the black supervisors' departments, not mine. If I asked an employee to perform a specific task, I would be told, "no.". When I approached my GM regarding insubordination, I'd be reprimanded. The other supervisors would demean to staff. I had 10+ departments I was responsible for, as 1 of 3 supervisors. One other had 3, the other had 0 . Eventually the supervisor with 0 depts. was given 3 of mine, but the GM always did her work, schematics etc., but o was always delegated to "spruce it up". In reality, I still had 3-5 times more departments than 1 other supervisor and the 3rd had none. This whole time, I worked mostly closing shifts. Anyone in retail knows, you're selling, not tasking, during closing shifts. As said, my departments weren't stocked by the stockers, but the black supervisor's were. Furniture, general stock, and gourmet boxes were left strewn about the building. They'd be waiting for me on my closing shift. My choice was to clean up the mess from the morning while helping customers or "recover" the store (front and face) while helping customers. I tried to do it all, but failed, with

not losing my job Aug 28, 2011

Cont ... no help from several insubordinant staff who were egged on by the other supervisors. It's so bad, they allow one staff member to play anti-white propaganda on his phone in the break room while I'm in there. I've never experienced this in my life. I'm a liberal Democrat and I grew up in a very ethnically diverse environment. I have, and continue to be, discriminated against for being white. Hr doesn't care. Hostile work environment? Who cares. Newest GM has helped tremendously, but she's white and they're working on getting her fired. Cpwm has the worst hr department. Why isn't this being taken care of? Too afraid to anger shareholders? Last time I work for a publicly traded company.

• St
    stotheh Dec 06, 2011

HA i worked at cpwm for three month my gm was sleeping with the furniture head and i had seen evidence of it more then once and when the lead supervisor went to go say something i was blamed for it all and was charged with sexual harassment charges that were not even true to any degree and i resigned lol after talking with a few of the supervisors after the fact it was her intention all along to try and get me fired. Oh, and the best part is, that we were all bullied and degraded and harassed almost daily and even discriminated against based on sexuality and i put that in my resignation letter and HR contacted me and pretty much told me that was nice and did nothing about even when i had three other employees' experience with the discrimination on my side and they were willing to say something about it...but none the less i am still waiting on my final check and every time my old gm sees me she literally runs the opposite direction. oh and p.s. the store i worked for was literally the worst cost plus there was even according to the company i wonder why?

• Mo
    mona c Apr 27, 2016

yes i work for "Redlands" world market, , my time there would be 2 am to 10 am, When i first started there last year in April of 2015 everything was excellent the bosses were great and easy to speak with when i needed help in something i can easily ask, , i would be able to talk with my boss, , they would give me great hours Thursday, Friday, Saturday all 8 hours shifts, .But all that changed as of last year and the beginning of this year i had a personal issue with one of my children and asked for some time off without pay they gave me it, the boss there for night crew was acting different with me change of attitude and not talking with me always walking a different way short speech towards me she makes me feel that my esteem is low, Im afraid to even call her to call off i don't feel comfortable there anymore, I've, been getting headaches and stressed out...It's crazy now cause the night crew boss gave me less hours now and 1 day out of the whole week my hours changed from 2 am to 10 am To 2 am to 6:30 am only Thursday now, , . I found another job and started there on January of this year and there the best, I verbally told my boss I have another job and seemed that i was lying she shined me on and said yeah yeah, and walked away, tonight i don't feel like going into this job it makes me feel unwanted, , they don't appreciate my work there help what can i do or what should i do, even my kids tell me mom are you okay you seem very overwhelmed I cry and Cry, , , ...