Coral ResortsLies / rental income, we have proof

J

My wife and I are writing this to send a message to Coral Resorts and all other owners who have been taken just like us. We have now given the "developer week" scam a little more time and are 100% certain it is a complete lie. Luckily we have the lie/promise/proposal in writing (see attachment). Our attorney has advised us to contact as many owners as possible from this point, as she has spoken to several that have had the same issues with Coral Resorts, and we live in Ohio. We don't have the time or the resources as of the moment to do so, so for know this post will have to do.

We will try to shorten the tragic tale for you, and just give a little background info. We purchased with them 5 yrs ago-Lied too-BIG TIME. Not enough points( told all vacations should be booked last min for better deals), the Developer week will rent and pay us $900-$1200/yr, the golf package can be used anywhere/anytime, the salesperson got our hopes up on Europe/etc. as he kept showing us pictures how he used his points in Turkey or Greece.

Of course we couldn't even get back to Hilton Head when our kids were out of school with the amount of points we had. From what we have read on here, this sounds like the standard sales pitch at the resort, as we have been back for "owner updates" and heard the same chatter amongst the room. My wife and I swore that if we ever did business with this company again, we would get everything in writing. For the last several years we resisted any upgrades, but on our last owner "update, " we gave in.

Our owner services rep we will call "Michelle" (not her real name, but for now we have been advised not to use them). She was very nice, but with good reason, she wanted us to buy something. We had a nice discusion about our kids and we were aware that what we had could not bring us back to Hilton Head when they were out of school. She listened and presented us with a week that would be Deeded a spring break week every year. We knew this would work, but it would cost more money. At the time, and presently, we made it clear that we cannot afford to upgrade.

She then presented us with "changes that have been made with the developer week program." If we owned one previously and we upgraded, that it would go to "Platinum" status, which would guarantee rental income if we did not use it. The rental income she quoted of $1600/wk on 2 weeks($3200/yr written by her on the form) would easily pay for the upgrade as it is only an $8500 purchase, and a $175/mo payment. We knew what platinum status was from previously being denied reservations from RCI/owner services because we did not have enough points to come during platinum season. She said that the platinum weeks stay full, as was proved from our phone calls.

Given that these things had merit and we needed to get a week when our kids were out of school we chose to talk about it. My wife and I chatted for several minutes without her and agreed that this change would serve us well, IF everything was in writing and kosher. She came back to the table and we told her our only condition was that the rent money must be in writing and guaranteed or we could not afford it. She said no problem, and we went ahead with the deal. As you can see from her copy (which she didn't want to give us) we were promised $3200/yr for 2012/13/14. Clearly this never happened and will not, which brings us to where we are now. Stuck, and mislead into a purchase we cannot afford when we were just trying to do the right thing for our family.

We even gave the sales rep the benefit of the doubt for a while. When we called last yr about our check, we were told January 2013 is when it begins. In the meantime the only calls we tried to make to verify this would be coming in January 2013 were to the developer week hotline and a woman named Kate Swisher. She couldn't have been more rude and cold to us. Granted we may have vented a bit and given her too much backround info, but we may have never been nearly as upset if she did not take the tone that she did. A little sympathy would have at least counted for something. She questioned our decision, and gave off the impression several times that we should have never believed that particular sales rep in the first place. Thanks so much for making an already frustrated customer feel dumber, great approach.

Apparently this is encouraged at the resort as the other girls at Reba management were right on her level in giving us a warm and fuzzy feeling about our purchase. It was almost as if they expected everyone to be mad when they called, because they probably are.

Well, Jan has come and gone and sure enough, no check. No one at Reba Mgmt or Owner Services seems to know what we are talking about. They probably think we are crazy, or stupid. To put and end to this madness we finally consulted an attorney. She feels that since we have the promise in writing, we will get our contract cancelled and receive all of our money back. She also put us in touch with 2 other owners in our area that are in the same boat. One did an identical upgrade it seems with an "Amy" in owner services who was quoted more income than we were and intends to pursue legal action. The other one has just recently purchased for the first time and feels that they were mislead as well by a younger salesperson and his manager, which ourselves and RCI even have verified for them. This has to stop. We are people trying to spend time with our families at a nice place in an affordable way. If any other owners wish to contact us that are in the same boat, please feel free to do so through the site. Understand that we have kids and can only devote so much time to this headache.

We intend to keep our payment current until April when we come down to Hilton Head and speak to other owners about it as well. We are confident that we will come home in april with our money returned to us or rent checks in hand and will make many other owners and prospective customers aware of what this company does and how they treat people.

Lies / rental income, we have proof

• Pa
    pattonjenn Mar 18, 2014

We too were scammed and have paid them over 11, 000 and still have 2 years left on contract. I cant afford to waste anymore of mine and my husbands hard earned money on this. I don't have a clue how to begin to fight it and definitely can't afford a lawyer. Please help

• Ts
    tsjustice Dec 12, 2013

Just walk away from it like we did. These folks are crooks, don't give them the satisfaction of taking your money every month. Send them notice you are not to be contacted and be done with them. That is your right! We never want to come to Hilton Head again because of these people!

• Do
    DownwithCoralSands Nov 22, 2013

I am so ready to fight these crooks! My parents fell for this scam and purchased a time share in Nov 2011. The crooks were operating a kiosk at Coligny and were hounding people that were walking by on the sidewalk! How these people are able to operate out in the open on this island is so far beyond comprehension! I begged my parents not to fall for this, but they didn't listen. The salespeople made it sound so good, they fell for it. I tried to research before they signed any papers, but because these crooks operate under so many different names, I was unable to find any concrete evidence of this scam until it was too late.

There is absolutely no availability on any resort that we would stay at. And the "Last Call" garbage, which was one of the biggest selling points to my parents is absolute crap! There is never anything decent available! On top of that, the maintenance fees are three times as much as quoted at the time of sale! And we keep getting bills in the mail for different fees that are due. Ridiculous!

Like I said, I am ready to fight! Anyone who has information on who I should contact or how I can get involved in a class action lawsuit, LET ME KNOW! I don't even care if we end up with $5 after the settlement, we just WANT OUT!!!

• Be
    Betzabeth Taylor Nov 04, 2013

Timeshares have been in existence so long now that I find it hard to believe anyone even listens to the presentations anymore much less buys them. I go to several different charity auctions every year and there is ALWAYS a time share usage up for auction because the owners never use them and, because they are donating the use of their time share, they at least get to take a donation write off on their taxes. I don't care what I'm offered for the value of my time to listen to a presentation - it's just not worth it. This is a good article on how to get out of timeshare:

• Yr
    Yraby Oct 29, 2013

We have the same experience almost to the letter! Right down to being told we were rednecks! We have paid over 11, 000 dollars and have not used this timeshare once! We offered to GIVE it back to Coral Resorts with no return on our parts just cutting our losses and chalking it up to a lesson learned, but we were told they did not even want it back it was worthless! Buuuut for some more cash we could buy something that would work for us. We laughed in their face for a change. They could not get us out of there fast enough I was making such a scene. I told my husband we should stand in front of the place and tell everyone who would listen our experience, but he would not let me he was afraid I would go to jail! But the real crooks would still be operating inside. I guess right now I want to know has anyone just stopped paying? And if so how bad does this hurt your credit? We are done! And just want out! Also to the Island of Hilton Head we will NEVER come back there, this situation has ruined any good memories we have from this beautiful island. I am sure their tourist board and chamber of commerce would be interested in this comment because I am sure we are not alone!

• Co
    Coral reef scam victim Jul 15, 2013

Call Zack Naert and Joe DuBois lawyers in Hilton Head - they specialize in suing these ###!! [protected]

• Sw
    S. wellman Jun 26, 2013

I am having the same problem. Please provide lawyer info. Thanks

• Ls
    lshelley Apr 18, 2013

My husband and I are in the same boat as you. We purchased in June and have made several attempt to speak to someone but calls go unanswered. We were told so many lies I can't even list them here. The biggest concern I have is that the Maintenance Fee was higher than expected. Also they told us they have a "Buy Back" developer week program that doesn't really exist. Could you please share the contact info of the lawyer you are using? I have contacted the BBB but they were unable to help us. I have just sent a letter to the South Carolina Real Estate Commission and waiting for a response. Please keep everyone informed if there are any updates. Thanks!