Zone Fitness / being lied to in order to sell a gym contract

United States Review updated:

I joined Zone Fitness, CT in Nov 2009 and dealt with a Consultant Monique. As I knew I was going overseas at the end of March I wanted to join for 3 or 4 months but Monique said they only have 1 or 2 year contracts. She told me not to worry about it though, that there are ALWAYS people wanting to join and she will find someone to take over my contract and sort it all out for me. As the 2 year contract was the cheapest & I knew someone would have to take it over anyways I joined for 2 years. Monique said I must come see her at the beginning of Feb if I want to cancel at the end of feb. At the begining of February I went to see her & I was informed that 'convieniently' Monique doesn't work there anymore.

I was then asked to email Kristen Parris at headoffice with my issue because it is their policy not to take over contracts as I was explained. After MANY emails to & from headoffice I was offered to change my contract to a 4 month contract at R325month, so I must just pay the difference of R703! I was still furious as I would never have joined the gym at that price. They refused to give in and I had to end up paying the difference as they kept taking the debit order off! UNHAPPY!

Tr

Comments

• Ta
      12th of Dec, 2017

They are not transparent to customers and I regret signing a contract with them.
    They are still doing it. I was tricked into signing a contract with them in December 2016 Cape Town, Kraaifontein when they had some kind of 'promotion' and they never mentioned that I could not get out of it for at least a year. I know that to some this is general knowledge, but for a first time gym goer it's not so obvious. The only thing they mentioned was that the promotion meant I could have 1 month free membership. I know (now) that this is the practice of most gyms, but FULL DISCLOSURE is not too much to ask for. It should be mandatory!!

• Al
      18th of Jul, 2018

When I was approached re a contract, I was sold with the Watergate Facility that was soon to be opened. So I signed up and was told that in the interim, I am able to gym at Westgate Mall. Now that Watergate has opened, I enquire at Watergate how I go about this, and they referred me to Westgate. I visited their branch on the 13.07.18, only to be told I would have to fork out a further R150 for a transfer! They blamed the sales consultant that never advised this. Surely I should have been made aware of this before opting to take out this contract before Watergate opened? I refuse to be held liable/hostage for blatant exploitation.