Zales / useless protection policy/resizing error

1 3400 Meadow LaneLas Vegas, NV, United States Review updated:

I bought my wife a diamond ring and cross and had, without being told the cost, 100 dollars added to the bill for protection policy. Unfortunately the ring had to be resized and when collected was so big my wife cannot wear it on any finger in case she loses it, she didn't try it on in the shop as we were in a hurry and took it on trust since the assistant had measured her finger. The ring was in no way correctly resized and we were unable to return as we had to travel to LA before returning home. The protection policy is useless as it would not be easy to send the items back to be checked every six months as I live in the United Kingdom also my own insurance would cover any mishaps. The policy states that if these items are not checked every six months the policy is null and void. Being English and my wife having left the shop I feel that I was misled into thinking the policy was free and was unaware that the policy was so costly, I was given no opportunity to refuse it which I would have done. I am a bit worried about returning the ring and requesting a refund, within 30 days, as it may get mislaid or not received. I am not sure how we stand in our relationship with the USA and complaints.

Comments

• Re
      1st of Jun, 2010

I agree that the protection plan was added without your knowledge, however, did you even try to ask them to refund that back to you? When the salesperson is ringing up the sale, the computer system makes is very easy to accidentally add on the protection plans. It is also your job as the consumer to pay attention to what you're signing. The reciept always lists the protection plans as a separate item with a price next to it. I'm sorry that you were in a hurry and didn't really read your reciept until you left the store, but that is not the salesperson's fault. When you are making a purchase, especially something like jewelry, you have to make sure that the reciept matches what you are purchasing. The free guarantee is the Lifetime Diamond Bond, in which the diamond does have to be inspected every six months in order to keep it valid. Unfortunately there really is no solution to that part of the problem. If you currently live in the UK, you can contact the store or home office and insure the items, at your expense, and send them back. They will have to issue you a refund check that will be mailed to your UK address within a few weeks.