Zales / terrible experience

My husband purchased my princess cut solitaire at zales in Jan of 2000. When trying to pick out a band to go with my solitaire I was discouraged from the idea that I liked and wanted to see on my finger, being told it wasn't a good look. Another idea I had, a jacket, was also shot down. I was told that the ring was too wide and it couldn't be done. My current jeweler showed me that it was not only possible but very stunning! The look I was going for back in 2000 was very popular last year and this year, 2007-08. This was only the beginning of my experience with Zales. In March 2000, only a couple of days before my wedding and barely two months after the ring was purchased, I lost my diamond still attached to the head it was set in. The gold in the band where it had been attached appeared to be pitted. The store gave me a loaner ring to wear to my wedding while they fixed mine. When I received my own ring back it had the wrong head. I was told they had no way of knowing which head was originally on the ring even after I presented my papers (with photo on the certificate) to them along with the broken ring when it was brought in for repair. I was upset and just wanted to take my ring, even though it was not right. I was told that even in a couple days or so if I decided that I wanted to have the right head put on the ring I still could. When I asked for my certificate for the new diamond that was replaced I was told to keep my old certificate and that the diamond was a match to my original one. I thought they knew what they were talking about so I left with no new papers for this new diamond. Only days after this all took place I was having some snagging issues with the prongs that were on the ring (the wrong head) and took it in only to realize that there were two cracked prongs. I had them put the original style head on the ring at that point. I eventually took the ring in to Helzburg's and was told that I should indeed have been given a new certificate for the new diamond because no two diamonds are alike. I also asked another jeweler from one of the city's most reputable jewelry stores and was told the same exact thing. I went back into Zales with this information and they argued me out of it. That was the end of it. I took no further action. I wish I had but it has been almost 9 years since the purchase of the ring. As one woman stated in another post about Zales... "I am now stuck with a ring that I do not like and has no sentimental value to me."

Va

Comments

Re
  1st of Jun, 2010

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. You should have returned the ring after you started to experience those problems. It is definitely not ok that all this happened to you. But it is also your job as a consumer to watch out for yourself and not let people talk you into something you don't like. If you didn't like their ideas and suggestions for your ring, you should have left that store and gone elsewhere. It is their job to try to make you happy so that you buy, not only that ring, but lots of other things from them. But, under no circumstance, did they hold a gun to your head and make you sign that reciept and buy the ring from them. It is not the salesperson's fault that some people let themselves get talked into buying something, they are there to make money!