Complaints & Reviews

rip off

In February of 06 my fiancé bought me an engagement ring from zales in Layton Utah, within having the...

how can they get away with this stuff?!

My husband bought my engagement ring in the Rancho Cucamonga, CA Zales store March of 2006. By May 2006, I'd lost a diamond. I don't do labor, I will admit to wearing my ring all day/night... but I assumed that was what you were supposed to do with an engagement ring!!! It took two weeks to get the diamond replaced. When I got it back, the tint seemed a bit off, and the cut didn't fit the setting (tad too small on one side). I didn't complain about this... I was happy to have it back. By July 2006, I had to take it in AGAIN for another missing diamond! I couldn't believe how ridiculous it was that I'd only had the ring for a few months, and already had to replace two diamonds. It's heart breaking enough that part of the ring that holds such sentimental value is not whole anymore, as far as items that were there the night he proposed!!! I got it back just intime for my August wedding. Two months later, ironically enough as I am sitting with a friend and exchanging scary "I lost a diamond" stories... I glance at my ring, and to my surprise (not sure why I was surprised, but nonetheless), My prongs are broken! WHAT THE! Again, I work in an office. Short of washing my hair or doing the dishes, these hands are never anwhere near anything strong enough to rip out diamonds or break prongs! This time, it literally took 8 WEEKS to get my ring back! Knock on wood... I got it back November 2007, and I haven't had anything wrong since. I'm just waiting for it!

Here is the kicker. My little sisters fiance asks me to ring shop with him. We looked everywhere... ended up in the same Zales where my husband bought my ring. We laughed about "we shouldn't purchase here, who KNOWS what might happen with this ring!" But it was the perfect ring... she was thrilled when she saw it. It fits her personality to a T! So, for a moment, everyone forgot that it was purchased at Zales, and all fears were set aside to enjoy her sheer happiness everytime she looked at her left hand. Low and behold. The poor girl takes it in to have it sized. She just picked it up, and her fiance called with a horrific story. Not only is the ring now missing 4 diamonds (small specs on the side, but still, they are missing!)... but there are three gashes in the ring (one on the inside, two on the sides) which we can only imagine were left from a vice or something that held the ring during the re-sizing. I cannot believe this, I don't know what to say... I feel horrible for even suggesting Zales to my little sisters fiance. And of course, when her soon to be husband calls the shop completely outraged, they tell him "you have insurance, send it in, we'll have it fix... or you can have it replaced with another that looks just like it." Yeah, that's what they told me. Do they not realize the significant value of a ring he gave her the night he proposed? HELLO! I understand they won't comp the ring... but why the hell does Zales have such POOR quality jewelry, why the hell are we all complaining about the same thing... and they are STILL in business?

Signed, PLEASE tell me where to go from here!

• Ti
    TISHA Apr 09, 2009

I COULDN'T AGREE WITH YOU MORE. I GOT ME RING ON FEB. 14, 2009; AND ONE WEEK AFTER I HAD IT SIZED ONE OF MY DIAMONDS FELL OUT. I JUST GOT IT BACK ON APRIL 2, 2009. TODAY IS APRIL 8, 2009 AND THE SAME DIAMOND HAS FALLEN OUT YET AGAIN. THEY PULLED THE SAME DAMN YOU HAVE INSURANCE SCAM ON MY FIANCE' AND I. WHAT CAN WE DO IN A SITUATION LIKE THIS?

• Ko
    konz Apr 21, 2009

hi i was just browsing for a ring for girlfriend and i was just curious to read your story... am like this ... rings are man /women made right??? parts can break but its how & what the company does to fix the problem and with sincerity... and if they dont show compassion towards there valued customers thats when there showing that they are getting too big to kiss [email protected] . so now i feel that im taking my buisness elese where... thanks for saving others n i time and our hard earned money... Konz from BROOKLYN NY

Juliette May 01, 2009

How sad is it.. that I am looking to replace my ring.. because I have had all my stones fall out too . I have gone to Zales several times.. emailed, , ect.. and they said that they a new jeweler.. My band.. I had custom made band.. I went back to them.. and they said.. I shouldn't have selected that band.. that anything custom is sketchy.. so my question is.. why DO WE PAY MORE FOR CUSTOM THEN??? I just got married and three times people have asked to look at my ring.. and how awesome.. that either.. A new stone is missing, or I have to say.. oh well i don't have it right now.. Zales is fixing it again.. NEVER SHOP at Zales!! IT has added so much stress to my husband and I!!!

jonass May 01, 2009

I learned that diamonds used to be really expensive, but then diamond mines were discovered in South Africa in the late 1800s and prices plummeted. Thus was the De Beers Group formed as a cartel to bolster prices.

De Beers has been an extremely effective cartel. Diamonds would probably sell for only a fraction of their current prices where it not for a combination of restriction of supply and a marketing campaign to increase demand.

The tradition of the diamond engagement ring is a bogus one. It's a tradition that De Beers invented in the 1930s. De Beers spent big money on marketing, and worked with Hollywood to place diamonds in romance movies.

The retail price of diamonds is two to three times the wholesale price, which in turn is quite a bit higher than what you would get paid if you wanted to sell back your diamond. And probably the wholesale price is several times higher than what it would be without a cartel to prop up the prices. (De Beers has successfully convinced people not to sell back their diamonds with its "diamonds are forever" campaign--if people sold back their diamonds instead of keeping them as family heirlooms, this would put downard pressure on prices.)

Who decided that a man should spend two to three months of his salary on an engagement ring? De Beers. If only all the men of the world would unite and agree not to pay so much, we would all be better off.

• Ni
    nikkih72 Nov 02, 2009

Wow! I had a ring all picked out and told my husband about it so he could buy it. Now after reading all this, NO WAY! This may sound crazy, too, but I found a GORGEOUS ring at WalMart (their guarantee is no better/worse than Zales) and for the money I think I will buy that ring! It's always a chance you take buying anything so I may as well save a few bucks and do it at WalMart. Thanks for the info, guys!!

sorry service

I placed an order for 4 items. I got my first order, it wasn't what I expected, it looked a little old but oh well I was okay with that.
So then I get an e-mail saying my second part of the order is on it's way and it contains your other 3 items. Okay great. I am excited because it contains my gift to my husband for our anniversary. Well I get the package and it has 2 items in it. I go to the e-mail to be sure i read it right, I even click the link to check the shipping. Yep, it says it was delivered. So I go to the website and the contact link only has an e-mail so I e-mail them and get an auto repsonse. End of day still nothing. SO I e-mail again and get anther auto response and again no response. SO I hunt down a number to call and the woman tells me there could be a number of reasons I didn't get it, maybe it was left on the counter instead of put in the package, maybe I left it in the package(yeah not many are that dumb, it's an envelope), maybe so on. Okay then what do I do. We'll look into it but it can be up to 2 weeks before we know anything. That's great. So I explain I ordered this over a week ago and this gift is very important it is to celebrate my 12th aniversary I need it no later then the 27th. This call was on the 18th. Well like I said it can be 2 weeks. I said fine just put down that I want to cancel the order. Okay but it will 2 weeks before you get your answer. By this time I am ticked. I said yeah funny you had no problem taking money for something I did not get but you can't give it back. we hang up and I go back to e-mailing a few days later trying to get an answer. I got another auto response after a few more e-mails. Then on the 23rd I think I called bcak. The lady couldn't help me in any way at all. So she connects me to her supervisor, she tells me she will put in a request but it's not likely to help. I can't cancel because I am just now canceling she says and it's to late. I told her well I put in a request to cancel over a week ago and she says no you didn't. Okay. She says call back later and I will let you know, here is my extension. SO I cal back and assume being that I used her ext. that it would be her but no it's not. So I start all over again and tell this woman what the deal is. She says the cancel was not put in the first time but there is one from an e-mail the 21st. She connects me to the supervisor and this lady denies there is an e-mail and says the other lady just made a mistake. I can't cancel my order but can't get it for my anniversary either. All I can do she says is refuse it when it is delivered. Can I talk to somebody else? She knows that I need this Sunday and this call is Friday she says yeah you can talk to the manager on Monday and maybe get it in time. If I could have slapped her through my phone so hard she would have in the next week. So now I am still trying to get my money back and it is the 29th. You'll love this after 20 e-mails I finally get an e-mail and it says I will do whatever I have to and on and on... I have replied 4 times and have got not one response yet. I will never order from them again. But how on earth do I get my money back?

• He
    help May 07, 2008

You need to write out your entire situation including all the facts you know. Then in the letter write the resolution you are seeking. Send a copy to the Better Buisness Bureau and one to their corporate office. Address will be found on BBB.com.

worst customer service ever!

My fiancee lost his ring that we purchased from somewhere else so we decided to go to Zales (Tyson's Corner Mall, Virginia) to buy a new ring for him. His size is 9.5 so we had to make a special order for him. The sales associate told us that it will take up to 3 weeks and we agreed to pay and wait for the ring. He also said that he will call the manufacturer and make it a rush delivery so maybe we can receive it earlier. After 3 weeks, I called them and asked if they receive the ring, they told me that they are so busy at that moment and got my phone number to call me back with the information. I waited for 3 hours and I decided to call them back to "remind". The manager told me that she will call me back "shortly" because they are busy with other customers. After 24 hours, I call them again and asked for the ring again. They said that they are busy and I started getting frustrated and told them that "I am a customer too and I have been waiting for my ring for 3 weeks and for them to call me back"..He finally agreed to check the status of my ring and he said that he will call the manufacturer. Guess what? They could not find the ring! After 3 weeks of wasted time, I had nothing but the worst customer service experience. The way they treat, talk to the customers is very unprofessional and I heard the same experience from many many customers. I will never ever buy a single thing from Zales!!

JUSTIN Feb 29, 2008

They are the worst company ever. Don't call the customer service line, they will tell you they will call you back and never do.

I would rather talk to the ###s at microsoft. They don't speak english, but get the problem resolved.

• Je
    Jessica Navaro Jan 18, 2009

It sadden me that the Zale Corporation do not investigate these kind of behavior of there Zale Employee. Just like when I was shopping at Zale Pentagon City mall, the Zale Store Manager in Pentagon City Mall is bragging how she found a loose diamond inside her store premises but yet claim the Zale Corporation do not owned it as they do not sale a loose diamond. How add is that and what is the add of finding a loose diamond inside your own store? Then the Zale Store Manager continue to brag how she keeps the loose diamond then she start talking how bad her Zale Employees specially the Pakistani how lazy he is? And the Filipino Zale Employee wanted her husband and her Afro-American Zale Employee beat another Zale Employee. Truly; who cares about there problem at work, I just want to shop. What kind of Zale Store Manager she is? All she talked about is how bad her Zale employees are? Then she continues telling us she going to fired two employee. This is bad business all she talked about is she is very unhappy with her Zale employee. I think she need help! All I want to do is choice the ring I want but continues to open her big mouth so I left.

• Je
    Jessica Navaro Jan 18, 2009

The same thing what happened to me? I bought an engagement ring in Zale Pentagon City Mall, they loose my ring after sending it to resize the ring. The zale employee could not find it then they look all over the store still could not find it.
    Then after a day or two they find it; the Zale Store Manager was wearing it for the weekend and forgot to return it.
    Then by the time I pick it up the Zale Store Manager all she could say is that oh, I forgot to return it. How sad is that?

customer service refund!

The customer service at Zales leaves a lot to be desired. I bought a watch online on 12/25/07 with my giftcard. They supposedly credited my giftcard back but everytime I check the balance it's $0. I've called them at least 9 times and they say that their system shows a credit t was made to the card but for some reason it didn't go through. Now, the nice ting would be to send a new gift card while they work out their disorganized accounting... Nope... they refuse to give me my store credit back until they figure out where they put their own money and it's mid February of 2008.

• Re
    ReesePualani Jun 01, 2010

It had only been about 3 weeks since the purchase and you called customer service 9 times?? Most refunds take up to 30 days. They cannot process a return on a giftcard anyway. Even if they send a check, that takes up to 4 weeks to get sent out. You could have also gone into any Zales, or Gordons store to make the return.

poor quality merchandise as well as terrible customer service!

Zales has terrible customer service and the quality of their merchandise is very poor. My fiancee paid $4,000...

false advertisement!

Warning : don't ever buy jewelry from zales. Last december I received a jewelry set from my boyfriends mother. It was a lab created sapphire and diamond accent ring and necklace. The description stated that it was 10k white gold. When I got the ring it did not fit, but fortunately she sent the reciept with me because she had a feeling it wouldn't fit because they only came in size 7 and i'm a five. She purchased the ring in tri cities and I live a few hours away so armed with my receipt and everything still packaged I went to a local zales they were very rude and told me under no circumstances do they do exchanges. So my boyfriends mother was kind of enough to take it back to the zales she purchased it from and got it re-sized. It took almost 3 months to resize. I then got it back sometime around february and I hardly wear it. I only wear it on special occasions and I take excellent care of my jewelry. I have had the ring about 5 months and its chipping!!! All the shiny silver stuff is peeling off it and underneath it just looks awful, tacky and cheap. 10k white gold my ###. I suggest going to another jewelry store to make a purchase, especially if you are buying a gift for somebody.

• Ca
    Caldwell Sep 10, 2007

I never have to face such problems but I generally shop through Zales, Diamond.com, Ice.com like stores through CouponAlbum site (http://www.couponalbum.com) along with coupons.

just so you know Apr 01, 2009

Just an FYI--white gold is always plated with a substance called rhodium, to give it its "white" color. White gold actually has a yellowish cast to it, and will need to be replated every so often to keep its color.

erroneous collection report!

I recently opened an account with zales in may07. The account is a 90 days no interest/no payments. No payment was due until 11aug07. In jun07, zales reported to citi bank my account was delinquent and sent it to collections. I have statements from zales which states no payments due and lists the account as 90 days no interest/no payments. I was contacted by citi bank collections and I called zales customer service center. Zales admitted to the account being sent in error and assured me the letter sent to citi bank was being taken care of. I received another call from citi bank collections telling me to contact citi bank dispute department because zales no longer has control of the account. Clearly on hand not talking to the other here. Citi bank states there has been no payment made which is incorrect. I have been paying the account on zales. com. I work hard to keep my credit history clean but this clearly poor management of accounts/credit.
I am closing the account paid in full and never going to get a zales account again.

Even the citi bank collections department admitted that they are baffled at how my account was sent to collections. Now I have to rectify this situation because of zales poor service.

Charles Britton Aug 04, 2008

I agree with your complaint but just so you are aware of it, Citibank owns Zales credit.Zales Jewelers itself had nothing to do with all the paper you were getting.Zales has not owned its own credit in many years.
    I know this because I have worked for them for 30 years and I apologize to you for all the hassles you went through.

bad customer service and repair

I'm at my wits end with my diamond engagement ring from Zales. My fiance bought me a 2,100 dollar...