Xlibris / royalties

1 1663 Liberty Drive Suite 200Bloomington, IN, United States Review updated:
Phone: 888-795-4272

My name is Smith Pettis author of the book, Poetic Soul Vol 2: A voice From The Other America. I had self published a book called Poetic Soul in 2002 in Lansing Michigan which did well on a local level considering that it was just a 20 page booklet of about 20 poems. I decided that I wanted to do a more comprehensive book of more than just poetry, but also a biography of my once troubled life as a drug addict for over 40 years as well as the damage that it had brought about through out the years in my life. I also wanted to make social commentaries through out the eras that I have lived. I first learned of Xlibris through research that I did in regards to publishers that allowed you to print on demand by various packages that you could choose from. They started from the very basic packages to more sophisticated ones which offered more services as you went up in price. I started off with the most basic package called the advantage which cost $299.. Once I paid that package, I began to talk with a representative of Xlibris named Ren who began to encourage me to go up in packages to give myself a better chance of getting my work out there to be seen by a larger audience as well as to take advantage of better service that the higher packages offered. I began to pay on the premium package that cost $2, 999 over a 3 year period. The book was finally published in April 2011 but not without it's problems. The worst problem was the amount of typo's that I couldn't get them to correct, because most of the people I talked to couldn't speak proper English very well, plus I kept getting different editors that I could not get to understand what I wanted in the way of the way I wanted the book formatted. I had made it clear for them to not edit my poetry yet they did and butchered the verses. At this point, I was so frustrated that I told them I would do my own editing even though I had paid for them to do it. I finally asked them to do a general work spell check on the narratives which they did not do so that changed the whole dynamics of what the book was supposed to be about, The agreement for payment of royalties is for each quarter which is every 4 months, after a who year and the investment of over $3000, according to Xlibris, all I have sold is one book! Even though reliable people telling me that they have recently purchased copies, some even posted pictures with book in hand! Then to add insult to injury, they call me with these offers to try to solicit more money. In conclusion, I would like to say the Xlibris has proven to be a great disappointment even though on the surface it appears to be a highly professional. Their staff initially seem to be highly competent, but in reality, they are just interns and no one seem to know what the last person did. Their only true objective is to make as much money as they can without much, if anything of their won resources. They have been ripping off the royalties of the unsuspecting such as myself and should be brought to judgement for their unsavory practices as supposed publisher that rips off peoples life work. It is time ti bring these scam artist to justice! I for one am willing to do whatever it takes to see this happen. I want to recoup my investment as well as whatever royalties that they've withheld.

Xlibris

Comments

• Th
      3rd of Nov, 2012

Yes their only objective is to make money. They steal and steal they give nothing back they are con artists they are criminals.