www.priceline.com And Hilton Hotel / scam and cheating!

In 2005 my husband went on Priceline.com and booked and paid for a room at a Hilton Garden Inn in Carslbad, CA. I sat next to him and watched him enter everything and it all looked ok. They charged us $129.00 per room per night (3 nights) for two rooms ( one for his parents) , a total of $774. When we got to the Hotel, the manager asked my husband for his Federal Government employee I.D. card. My husband said he was not a Government employee. He said priceline gave us the Government employee rate and without an I.D. we had to pay $199.00 per room. I showed him the confirmation sheet we had printed, which had no mention of this. He left and came right back with a fax from Priceline that had a line that said I have read and agreed to abide by the terms and conditions and privacy policy with my husband's typed initials in a box.

At that point we knew we had been scammed but had no choice but to pay the $199. rate, which came to $420. more than originally quoted.

I sent a letter to Consumer Protection and all they did was send a letter to Priceline, who of course denied any wrongdoing and claimed my husband stated he was a government employee---he did no such thing! We received a letter back from Consumer Protection saying we had the option of contacting an attorney.

I don't know if Hilton is involved in this scam also but suspect they are-- they seemed too ready with a response when we questioned them about Priceline. I would not recommend going through Priceline or staying at Hilton to anyone.

Comments

Ih
  13th of Apr, 2008

Its quite possible your husband accidentaly booked a government rate via priceline which is possible and thats probably why they were asking for government employee id. There is most likely no scam here.

Tu
  21st of Sep, 2010

As a hotel employee, do not book through 3rd parties... If you book through the hotel directly you will get the most accurate information, and all information would be provided to you by an employee of that hotel. 3rd Parties get commission when booking reservations, so of course they will promise you the world. When you arrive at the hotel your stuck to deal with whatever situation the 3rd party puts you in. Don't pay someone to do a job you can do easily...