World Education Services / wrongfully charged monet

1 NY, United States Review updated:

I contacted WES(World Education Services) over phone on the 23rd of Feb '10, so that they can have my foreign academic degree evaluated. After speaking to them about payments/costs etc I was assured that no money would be charged to my account until and unless they received all documents in it's entirety needed to complete the evaluation, also they informed that a rep would be contacting me if further docs were required, no one contacted me from WES, I called them to find out as to what was going on then I was informed that I had to get in touch with my foreign University and have them mail a sealed envelope containing the required grade sheets, I contacted the University and was informed that it was not their policy to mail such documents, I could get them in person only, which would cost me $2400 in air fare in addition to other expenses, so that was not a logical financial decision, I can get a BA degree here in the US. So, I called back WES and explained the scenario and asked them to refund money wrongfully charged as no services were performed by them at all, because how could they do anything when they had nothing to work with, they asked me to use the "contact us" feature on their website, I did so, and today I received an email saying that I would not receive any refund. Why not? how are they allowed to keep this money? based on what services?.
First they say they would not charge money and now they did. They forced me to include a credit card number for assurance purposes.
Please help me receive appropriate assistance in this matter.
Thank you.

I have filed a complaint with the BBB and the FTC, I would urge others to do the same so our voice can be heard.

Ib

Comments

• Co
      8th of Apr, 2011

First and foremost, you are not forced to enter your credit card information on the WES website. You do that by choice, ON YOUR OWN. NO ONE was next to you forcing you to apply, was there? Furthermore, the website does give the Terms and Conditions for you to READ before you apply. If you agree with the policies you proceed, if not, you DO NOT have to apply to WES. Unfortunately MOST people NEVER read the policies and the fine prints and the excuse is I NEVER SAW THIS. YOU NEVER HAD THIS WHEN I APPLIED. Lie off course.
    The customer service team cannot tell you that you are forced to make a payment however, they can inform you that you must apply to their services before documents are received. People hear what they want to hear and will do things the way they feel is suitable to THEM. Just as any other company, you have to apply before they can provide you with any services. Learn to read the procedures, ask the right questions and right down the answers. If you are not sure ask again and make sure that what you understood is correct.
    I do not like people who complain for every little thing when they are the ones at fault for not following directions. But people only complain when they do not get things done THEIR WAY. But sometimes it’s not all about YOU. And people like you complain not just to WES but to all companies that you do not get YOUR WAY.
    Thank you.