Wincoservice dog

was shopping with my service dog & was told I could not...I was asked to remove him from my cart, as it was an 'oregon health law violation' attempted to resolve the conflict by showing my nationally recognized badge & explain that he is a service animal...was harassed throughout the store & as I was trying to pack my groceries & pay...I asked for names, so I could file a legal complaint...the manager would not stop harassing me, until I left the store...ADA LAWSUIT HERE I COME

Comments

•   Aug 02, 2012

Purchase your own personal shopping cart.

• Ns
      Aug 02, 2012

How much would that cost?

• El
      Oct 31, 2012

Sitting in a cart, my service dog decreases my stress while shopping. He is sitting on my coat or a blanket or my recycle bags. He is not sitting on the metal mesh, He is only 13 lbs. and if he were walking next to me as he normally does, I worry about him being stepped on. This way he is safe, easy for me to interact with and does not bother anyone.

• He
      Oct 31, 2012

The dog can not be in the cart, it has to have all four feet on the floor. It is a health issue, children ride in carts and some may have allergies to dogs, the carts are made for people. If you don't want your dog on the floor for fear of being stepped on then how do you walk it? Do you push it in a cart all the time? She was asked to remove the dog from the cart, she was not told to leave the store. I am guessing she was harassed because she argued and didn't take her dog from the cart and they were trying to get her to follow the rules. The store has to allow your dog in the store, they do not have to allow it in the cart.

• Wi
      Jun 17, 2013

Grocery carts are made for GROCERIES. I am neither for nor against children, nor am I for or against service dogs. I am against disruptive, unconstrained, misbehaving children and dogs. Allowing children to sit in a shopping cart is a COURTESY, not a reasonable accommodation; and it is not why the carts are provided. Additionally, older children with shoes are often in the 'food section' of grocery carts, which is completely unacceptable. There is a place for small children with a seat, leg holes and a safety belt. Children should not be allowed in any other area of the grocery cart. (Yet they are.) Older children walk.
    As for Service Dogs, having them is not a 'courtesy' it is a medical necessity. The law provides for the presence of these dogs (and miniature pony's) as a Reasonable Accommodation. Like small children, small dogs walking about a store poses a safety hazard. Even the most well behaved little one can be over looked by another shopper causing an accident or be run over by a cart. They are not the ‘norm’. So, other shoppers don’t see them. Both small children and small service dogs are safer in the designated, seat belted, area of a grocery cart. And, the cart should be protected by some type of barrier. Older children and larger dogs walk.
    Note: A 'barrier" (such as a blanket, towel, carrier, etc.) that separates the SERIVICE dog from the cart is acceptable by most local health codes. Frankly, the same should be required of children – a barrier between them and the cart. It’s only fair.
    Consider: A service dog MUST accompany their handler. It is a health & safety issue to not have them present. Children don’t have to accompany their adult when they are grocery shopping.
    One would be hard pressed to argue a small service dog, with a barrier, is not a reasonable accommodation when children (with their germs and contagious diseases), without a barrier, are allowed.
    Note: Allergies are not a consideration, according to the ADA, when it comes to service dogs.

It is unreasonable that persons with disabilities are being asked to hold their dogs or make them walk. Parents are not being required to hold their children or make them walk.
    Why can't we all get along? Be nice. Be courteous. Contain your children and your service dogs. Respect others. Appreciate our differences, even if we don't agree with them. And ask yourself before saying anything: Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?
    Peace, love and often.

• Go
      Jul 28, 2013

I am surprised at some of the comments above...do you or do you not have a service animal for a disability? It is obvious who does & who doesn't...why even comment on a topic you know nothing about? Oregon does NOT have a law or regulation regarding shopping cart use! If it did, the carts would not be used for bottle & can returns, seeping goo on them, street people who not be allowed to use them, leaving all kinds of horrible germs on them & potty training/diapered children would be banned as well. The shopping cart thing is a COMPANY policy, which is illegal. My Bear is with me 24/7 & helps me integrate back into society, I was isolated for years because of my disabilities! He lets me know when I should take my meds, he is trained well & sits or lays quietly on his rug, with his service dog attire on & badge hanging in clear view, while I do my shopping. He is better behaved than most children. You would not even notice him in my cart, if I was not harassed & discriminated against, treated with disrespect by the employees at some of the stores I shop at. Winco was by far the worst, Costco comes in second & Bi-Mart third. I have demanded documentation for each of the stores, showing me where it says it is illegal for me to have Bear in a shopping cart...there is NO law, what I get is company policy. Costco actually gave me a copy of theirs! I will not be treated differently because I have disabilities!

• Da
      Sep 09, 2015

I have a 9 lb yorkie and she is my therapy dog (with tag). When in stores and around food products, I hold her and quickly pick my items. When in part of store carrying non-food items, she walks on leash next to cart. She is taken to professional groomer regularly, is very calm, patient, and quiet. I try to be very respectful of others because I don't want to abuse or lose the privilege of bringing my little girl on shopping excursions.

• Ti
      Dec 25, 2016

Your emotional companion animal isn't a service dog nor is the "nationally recognized badge " that you purchased from a website valid. Your dog isnt trained so get it out of the store.

Sep 16, 2019

If you need a service dog god bless you and the animal and some people have too much time on their hands a service dog generally is groomed if in a cart in often on a blanket. Same with most kids I always sanitize the handle. I worked in a store looks clean and spotless but there were roaches and rodents all over the food all the time it is rare if that is not the case due to doors being open etc... If you are worried about service dogs contaminating something it is a bit silly. All that food gets manufactured in mills and plants look up how much rodent hair and insects can be i each serving of food allowed by the FDA proper food preparation and hand washing are important for many reasons I doubt pet or service dog contamination is on the top 100 list.