Wells Fargo / hold on my money

I have to say that Wells Fargo pissed me off for the last time. I made a deposit exceeding 5k on 6/13/08 so there was a hold placed on the check and was told on 6/16/08 by a phone banker that the hold would be removed on 6/17/08. I then questioned him several time to make sure because I needed to write a check against those funds. They assured me that it would be removed on the 17th and it would be okay for me to write a check and as long as the person I was making it out to did not try to cash it on the 16th I would be fine. Well let me tell you how surprised I was on the 17th to see that the were now holding the funds until the 20th. So I called again to see what was the problem and was told that the can extend the hold at any time but when I got upset they said that if the check came in before the hold was lifted they would not return it. Well need less to say the check that I wrote to my 401K was returned and I was charged NSF fee after I was promised by two different supervisors that they would note my account and the check would not be returned. I can't wait until the return check clears to I can get my money out of there.

Va

Comments

• Fr
      2nd of Nov, 2008

Did you ever consider that the check you deposited was bad and the bank could not collect the funds from the bank it was written from? Did you ask a manager to verify the funds so you could get access to your funds sooner? Finally, why would you write a check to your 401k that you knew you did not have available funds to cover? That's check kiting, and it's a crime. The bank did the right thing by putting a hold on your check and if I was a shareholder of that bank I would give their risk manager high-five for protecting me from deadbeats like you.