WeightWatchers.com / free trial is a bait & switch!

I was doing a tech review of the new weightwatchers.com. I clicked on the FREE TRIAL button to sign up for free for seven days. The site redirected me to the first page of the sign up flow. I didn't see anything about a free trial. I clicked the back button and clicked the FREE TRIAL button once more and was once again redirected to the same sign up page.

At this point I assumed I was signing up for the free trial and contined through the flow. When I came to the credit card entry form I assumed my card would be charged at the end of the seven day trial or at the least the funds be refunded when I canceled.

BUT weightwatchers.com is REFUSING to honor the free trial and won't refund my $65.00.

Kelle, the customer service representative (via email only) was not at all concerned that the FREE TRIAL link landed me on the normal sign up page. She only responded by saying that I agreed to their five page legal agreement.

In my opinion, this is a deliberate BAIT AND SWITCH technique employed by what I believed was a trustworthy brand.

Ironically I am a user experience expert so this kind of thing really hits a nerve with me. This is a despicable business practice that should not be tolerated. I will be contacting the Better Business Bureau, the New York Attorney General's office and filing as many complaints as I can.

WeightWatchers.com

Ja

Comments

• Ta
      23rd of Feb, 2009

Same thing happened to me. Thank you for posting. If WW really wanted to offer a "free" trial, they wouldn't have requested a credit card to begin with. This is really upsetting as I should have known better. But I trusted the Weight Watchers name and thought that they would honor my request for a full refund. However, they only gave me $18.10, which means, they kept my $46.90.