Webroot / poor customer service & no refund

1 SC, United States Review updated:

I puchsed a subscription to Webroot protection software last year and they place me on auto renew without notification. Ionly found out when they charged my credit card for the renewal. There were no option to speak to customer service. Only mean to ask for refund was by mail. I have notice that there have been numerous complaints lodges for lack of respond and action for refund. If yo already have Norton, webroot maycause problems periodcally (conflicts). Further, when Webroot is running, large portion of the RAM is use, causing the computer to run slower until the san is completed.
Webroot is playing hardball traying to get money with auto renew. Their lack of respond and poor customer service in this area leads me to suspect their intention to prove service. Rather, the company is more interested in making money (anyway it can) no matter the what's the cost. Their underhanded way of auto renew for the program is and example (no notice, no waring: just charge it). I am curious how that can b don without my knowledge (that is another problem that I am taking up with my credit card company).

Nt

Comments

• Sm
      30th of Sep, 2009

I had the same problem or rather have the same problem.

I emailed them at refund etc but did not get an answer within the promised 48 hrs.

Have just phoned them again and after finding all the menus lead to a recorded anser refering me to an email address, I decided to press "1" - technical support, talked to a person by the name of Vivienne, who, upon taking my bank card number said she would refund me (after talking to her supervisor). I said, "How do I know you are going to refund me, and this is just to put me off?" - she said, "Because I said it would refund your money"...

If you want to email me barbdunnsmyrl@live.com I will let you know what happens.

If nothing happens, I will surely report this Webroot company to the Better Business Bureau, and also have my bank investigate it.

I have also made copies of all the complaints against Webroot which are posted on this site.

Best wishes - B

• Th
      17th of Nov, 2009

Yep...similar problems...I wanted just the anti-spyware software...but no...they bundled/combined the antivirus software with it...even when you use the download link for the anti spyware, you still get the bundle...like it or not...and when I complained and asked for a refund...silence..not even an email reply. And for all you guys out there who are getting their credit cards debited with the cost of auto renewal when you didn't want to auto renew...well take it from me (being an ex-bank manager) they are acting illegally. A word of advice on getting your money back (and beating them at their own game)..simply contact your credit card administration and tell them that you know nothing about that debit entry from webroot...that you have never heard of the company and that you demand your money back. Stick with that story and you will get a refund from your credit card company to the debit of webroot's account.

Webroot was good oncenow they've turned to puss. Their "window washer" will not work on windows 7 64 bit even though they claim it will...and once again they will not answer emails or refund money...!!

• P5
      30th of Dec, 2009

Webroot has proven to be nothing but an unscrupulous company intent on ripping off the consumer. It is a shame that a company like Best Buy recommends them (or did at the time I purchased my computer from them). I lost all my data and most programs when Webroot failed to detect a Virus that Norton Antivirus was then able to locate and quarantine. There is no response to customer support inquiries (subsequently refund requests) by telephone or on-line support as their "specialists" are always "busy with another customer". I have spent in excess of an hour at a time on several occasions waiting for customer support to answer the phone, likewise with on-line support. Stick with NORTON.

• Ca
      28th of Jul, 2014

Don't waste your money on web root. They recently screwed my
    sister out four hundred bucks for two computers. This company is obviously a
    scam. This Bob guy is a fake or a plant for web root.

It took Microsoft several years before they begin the
    develop their own anti-virus programs. It’s not a scam I have been happy with
    it for some time now. What’s what’s the best about it is it’s free to go to the
    Microsoft website. Computers are, like automobiles there’s a lot of crooked
    mechanics out there therein is to screw you over. My background in computers it
    was 20 years experience. Over the years I’ve owned several made some mistakes
    that have learned how to fix an errant computer. I have rebuilt & built new
    computers. The only thing I can say is my method for cleaning up the computer
    is to backup all your data off drive on an external drive and format the
    computer which is reset it to factory new. Once my data is backed up a reformat
    my computer and presto like new. At this point I own five different computers
    and I maintain them with no problems if you want to get rid of these
    bloodsuckers who probably have to change your credit card number.