Walmart / awful customer support

1 Neptune, NJ, United States Review updated:

I just walked out of a walmart in Neptune, NJ with a rather weird experience. I walked in to buy a hard drive for my game system. When the teller ran the item at the register it rang up for 177.00 but the tag showed it at 100. When I told the clerk of the error they first observed the tag and complied it did say a different price but they kept fighting the tag. They took the sku off the display and brought it to the counter and told me "o the sku's don't match so this isn't the right price". I asked about there honoring a shelf price even if it differs from the ring up price and I got a bunch of different excuses. The first of course was the sku doesn't match, I will get to the rest in a few. After that I decided to keep my cool and just go to customer service and ask for a manager. Once the manager accompanied me to the department I showed her the product and the tag. The original salesman came over to try and fight my claims. At first he told her that its not the right size hard drive, I pointed out to her that the tag said "xbox 360 hdd" and made no mention of a size. His next argument was the sku, I told her that the item was behind a glass and once you ask for a product they bring it to the counter to ring it up so there is no way to compare sku. Then she said the hard drive was in fact priced but the tag she pointed to was for a dvd player not the hard drive, once i informed her of the error they paused. Then she said since the product is about 6 inches out of the spot of the tag that they can not honor the price and when i pointed out there is no other tag with a different price anywhere in the department she said that they just don't have a tag printed for it. I was forced to leave the store since I only had 130 in my account giving me not enough for the product. If a store has a policy they should honor it now I'm out of the product they had in stock that nobody else did and with awful customer support.

Sp

Comments

• Ai
      23rd of Sep, 2007

As a former Wally employee, I can't tell you how many times a customer has made that mistake. You must always compare the product to it's shelf tag, if possible. Many items are replaced incorrectly & mostly by customers. The next customer will then think they have discovered the bargain of a lifetime, although common sense should tell you that an item that normally sells for $300.00 will not suddenly cost $50.00.
    Always compare both the shelf UPC & product UPC.

• Ne
      5th of Nov, 2007

Walmart in Neptune has a lot to be desired. The Management team has always been awful as has the stock in the store. I would say that this store has to be the worst one I have ever frequented. They have lazy workers, and nobody wants to help you there. I would suggest taking your business elsewhere and paying the extra $2.00 for the item. The workers say they are paid such poverty wages, they hate their jobs and therefore don't care about the customers... well it certainly shows in the attitude of how it's run.

Boycott Walmart, that's the only way to make changes happen... gotta hit them where it hurts the most, the mighty dollar.

• Sh
      28th of Nov, 2007

Wow I've just had an experience of my own with Walmart in Neptune. I have been in MUZAC heaven now for 29 minutes. I've called twice to check on the availability of a toy. It's a weekday at 11am, so it's not during the weekend holiday madness. I've been transfered from Jewelery to clothing back to somewhere in hopes my question gets answered. I guess I should have just gotten in the car and looked in their stock room myself. I'll drive to target instead.

• Ju
      10th of Feb, 2008

This comment has to do with the Walmart in Bessemer, Al. on Acadamy Drive. I purchased an item for the first time on Site-to-store. I called to see if the item may have came in. A manager talked to me and said ,"well to be honest the girl that was working the department called in today, and we are extremelly busy, and I can't pull anyone away to check on it." I thought to myself he himself could have checked it. And, I did not want to hear about his staff not showing up. I do all of my grocery shopping, and everything else there because It's convienent for one, and the prices are reasonable. But, I also feel neglected when I go in sometimes when I need help. Most, not all, of the employees give me the impression they don't want to be of help, that their to busy socializing with other employees, in other words "cutting up". And, with all of the business Walmart has you would think they could hire more help instead of cutting back. Because, usually they have 10 lanes open and their are about 50 cash registars.

26th of Feb, 2008

Have to agree with the shelf price and actual tag prices differing at the Walmart in Neptune, NJ. Yes, they do the whole runaround for a price check that comes up with incorrect prices. When this particular Walmart does the runaround, they're buying time to correct all their mistakes so you can't call them on it. They also do not honor giving a discount or free item for errors on their part.

I had the same problem when buying food items from that store. Instead of honoring the free item or discount after walking over to the shelf WITH the customer service rep, customer service manager, retail clerk and "other" person that stocks the shelves and confirming with each one that the price was incorrect on their part, they told me to wait at the customer service desk to see if their district mgr. who was in the store at the time would help with the discount. It took a good long 15 minutes to wait. In that time I said I would be right back and I decided to pick up one more box of the food item. As I approached the shelf, 2 of the clerks that disputed with me over the price were REPLACING the price tag on the shelf to show the correct price. I grabbed a box anyway and returned to the customer service desk. When I returned, the district mgr. was there and said that the price on the shelf is correct and that I have no claim on any errors by any of the Walmart staff. The customer service mgr and the rep behind the desk just looked down when I looked at them.

No honor at that store whatsoever! Then they had the nerve to ring up all the boxes at the higher price which they erred on the first place. I told them they could keep their stuff. I don't shop there for food items anymore. It may be cheaper SOMETIMES but you can't trust that company. If they can get away with cheating the customer believe me they will!

Another thing you have to watch out for... If you ever use their auto dept. and get an oil change they're supposed to vaccuum the interior. They don't. They also don't always put the oil cap back on. Sloppy work there. Also they must get a kickback from Goodyear Tires because they push it so hard when you go in for an oil change. After my oil change, I was told that my car needed all new tires. " I should really bring it back in to have my tires replaced. " I had just had brand new tires put on at the dealership! Now Walmart is telling me they're worn out? Another customer mentioned that you have to watch them like a hawk at that store. They could easily be replacing your tires with faulty ones and claiming you have to buy new tires from them. Believe me, I'm not happy with what's going on at Walmart!

• Gr
      10th of Mar, 2008

My commets are against the Wal-mart in Sencer WV. My daughter-in-law told me 2 weeks ago she bought a pair of shoes that rang up $4 more than the tag. It was corrected when she complained.

Friday I bought a DVD from a bin marked $5. It rang up at $7.50. That also was corrected when I brought it up. Once in the car, I checked the receipt and discovered the 3 hand towels that I thought were $1.50 rang up at$2.89! I bought 1 last week at that price. Anyway upon returning to the store I was told that the towels were in the wrong place and they could let me have 1 at that price, the others would be full price! I took one and left.
    Walmart is the only department store with 30 miles of here! They have us over a barrell and know it.

• De
      3rd of Apr, 2008

Hi folks,
    I have had similar experiences at the Hornell, NY Wal-Mart. However, if you are ever in Bradford, Pa definatly shop at that Wal-Mart. The employees are the friendliest, most helpfull I have ever encountered in a retail store. If they have a pricing mistake, you usually are given the item at the price displayed. I got a 45.00 radio controlled Airplane for 15 bucks from there because of a pricing mistake. I was not made to wait any longer than it took for the employee to check out the mistake for the manager. Being a small city, everyone that works there are our neighbors and friends, and I think that is why the service is so good there.

• La
      22nd of Nov, 2008

I live in South Texas and can tell you that ALL the Walmarts down here have horrible customer service especially the one in Palmhurst, Texas. Finding an associate to help you is like pulling teeth. I have had price discrepancies of a few cents that they refused to honor. Make sure that you look at the register as they are scanning your merchandise.
    Every single time I have shopped there at least one of my items does not match the price on the shelf, and they wont change the price. If you do decide to argue the price, it becomes a big production. I bought a 10 lb package of ground beef that was marked down from $10 for about $4 because it was due to expire. I looked away as they were scanning it and didn't realize until I had payed that I had been charged full price. The cashier told me that I would have to go to customer service to get a price adjustment. I asked to speak to a manager and asked her if they had a fast fix option at the register like Target does and was told that they were too busy and I had to go to customer service. After standing at the service desk line for 45 minutes, I returned the beef and got my $10 back.(It was the principal) As I was walking out, I noticed the same "busy" manager returning an item from another customer at a register. I was so pissed. Long story short...Walmart sucks. Shop at Target instead.

• Pe
      4th of Mar, 2009

when walmart makes a mistake, don't let it go, fight them all the way. chances are you might not win, but there are the times when you can. take them all the way. my boyfriend has won more times than not with these people at walmart when they are in the wrong. you just need to know a little bit about consumer protection. there are a lot of litty bitty laws that they have to abide by. look them up. we as consumers let walmart get away with making too much money as it is. don't forget the wrong scan price law. its a % of the price of the product up to $5 plus the refund of the product. i forget what the name of this policy is but they don't advertise it. i just call it "i want my $5 for the incorrect scanning policy"

• Bu
      23rd of Mar, 2009

If you haven't worked retail, you don't know how it is run. I've worked in retail for over five years and that is a common mistake that happens with customers. Most of the time the customer did NOT read the tag correctly. For example: If a tag says "buy more and save" it means that you have to buy more than one to get the deal on the item that you want. Walmart is known for having scanners throughout the store so you can verify the price. A LOT of retail stores don't have these-and it tends to be a big draw back when dealing with someone who is trying to "get a deal" that does not exist. And if you are at a store that doesn't have a scanner, the least you could do is try to figure out how they label their products when putting it on the shelf so that you will know if it is the correct price tag. In the end, if you tell an employee (specifically a manager) about a product that is in the wrong place, let them know. Whatever employee put it their needs to make sure that they know how to do their job correctly.
    It's a shame that walmart treats their employee's like garbage. It's a great place to shop for what you need. I'd like to be able to get better customer service when I need help looking for something.

• Mi
      10th of Oct, 2009

bait and switch is a common practice in the world of free market but sad to say the wal mart world monopoly also has started to practice some of these same hard sell tactics. For example one of the more common practices of this is to place merchandise over the wrong shelf price as your complaint suggests but the more deceptive practice was disclosed to me by the stores management only after my formal complaint was addressed to him through the CEO MIKE DUKE IN ARK. AND HERE IS WHAT I WAS TOLD: "It is wal marts practice to place merchandise in a discount/closeout section of the store without a discount price marked on it while awaiting a reduced price to be sent down from the main office". Hopefully this is not an example of what is to come in the new world order of monopoly because it is an absolute deception to miss lead shoppers into assuming they can receive a discounted price at the register only to be humiliated as a spectacle to others when you are debating why you are being charged the regular price with no discount offered to you. well needless to say I found out the hard way while standing in the check out line for nearly 30 min. as the debate continued leaving those viewing to conclude that I was trying to get something for a reduced price when the store intended to get full price by way of this bate and switch policy. Whats worse is the fact that wal mart acknowledges this practice but refuses to change there methods by keeping the unmarked supposed discounted item of the discount shelf until they can properly display a discount price on the item.

• Bc
      10th of Jun, 2010

If Walmart expects the Customers to compare the SKUs on the pricing label / tag with the SKU on the product, then they should PRINT the SKU large enough on the label so that it can easily be compared! Then the Customers will not have a legitimate argument about the pricing discrepancy, when shown the label / tag.

I have learned to compare SKUs / UPCs from the label / tag and the product when I find a price that I think is too good to be true.

However, Walmart has a tendency to show one price on the label / tag, and then the POS register rings it up at a different price (usually higher, of course). This has been occurring more and more lately, over the past 2 years.

I think ALL STORES should go back to placing a price tag on each and every product, not just a label / tag on the shelf and leaving it up to the Customer to verify the label / tag against the product.

• Zi
      27th of Aug, 2010

This is Walmarts way of making a few extra bucks. It is called bait and switch and in unethical no matter what the former Walmart employees states.

Yes customer can switch product on the shelf to confuse the next customer, but I have seen many many instances where the correct product rang up a different price than the shelf. It also seems bizarre that if it wasn't common place that customer service would just hand out cash for the difference when it is caught by the customer at checkout.

Walmart is gambling that we (customers) are just too stupid to notice or too busy waste 20 minutes in the service line to get the refund.

This exact thing happened to me in the Zion, IL Walmart on Tuesday 8/24/10. I spent time in the service line to get the refund, and then the guard (as I left the store) had the nerve to stop me to produce the receipt for the item. They think everyone is stealing from them when they are the ones being unethical.

I called the Asst. store manager who was a useless front to field these calls (obviously has had a few of them too since he had no empathy left). They need a policy that if it doesn't ring up correct it is free before I shop there again.

13th of Oct, 2010

PAY UP OR SHUT UP

• Cl
      31st of Jan, 2011

i had problems with neptune wallmart, the parking is not that good. when i was in the parking lot the cars would not slow down, almost hitting me.the customers are alwaYS IN A PISSY MOOD. SOME OLD MAN WAS EYEING ME DOWN WHEN YOU FIRST WALK IN.ACTUALLY A COUPLE DIFFERENT OCCASOINS THIS OCCURED, AT NEPTUNE.I FEEL THE EMPLOYEES FLOAT AROUND ON THEIR OWN AGENDA, AND DO AS THEY PLEASE.QUITE FRANKLEY THEY HAVE SOME NASTY WOMEN WORKING THERE.WELL I GUESS MEAN PEOPLE HAVE TO WORK TO AS WELL [censor] IDIOTS NEPTUNE MUST BREED SOME NASTY HATEFUL PEOPLE.NOT TO MENTION NEPTUNE MCDONALDS, MANNY TIMES HAVE I WITTNESSED ALTERCATIONS. ALSO A DRIVE THROUGH INCIDENT WHERE A WOMEN BROKE A WINDOW.MY OWN EXPERIENCE TODAY WHERE I HAD A COUPON TO BUY A ICED COFFEE, AND GET ONE FREE.THE HAITIAN WOMEN TOLD ME THE COUPON WAS NOT VALID, THE COUPON WAS VALID.SHE TOLD ME IT WAS TO BIG.I USED THE COUPON ELSEWHERE WITHOUT A PROBLEM.WHERE DO THEY FIND THESE PEOPLE, WHO DO NOT CARE ABOUT CUSTOMERS AND NEGLECT THEM, LIKE SO.ALSO A WOMEN EMPLOYEE GAVE ANOTHER THE MIDDLE FINGER WHEN I WAS IN THE STORE.VERY INAPROPRIETE .I GUESS THE PEOPLE HAVE NO CONTROL OVER THEIR EMPLOYEES.THE CUSTOMERS SERVICE STINKS AND THE HAITIAN LADY IS AN IDIOT AND NEEDS TO WAKE UP AND SMELL THE FOLGERS.I JUST HAD TO SHARE THAT WITH EVERYBODY THANKS FOR READING COMPLAINT

• Pi
      8th of Apr, 2012

i went to wallmart in neptune, and once inside a man tried to sell me drugs, he said cocaine, he said i got some good ### bro, i told him get lost, a man told me his name is julio franco of neptune a major drug dealer, and a gang member, and has connestions with shadowbrook restaurant in shrewsburry nj, possibly a colombian connect, the man told me he also likes little kids and has sex with minors, he also gets high and is a drug addict, this dangerous man needs to be caught and his organization to be destroyed, before its youre kid or daughter dead from this son ###, survaillance follow and apprehend him, might be dirty cops as well.