Walmart / old, broken tv in a new box

1 Michigan City, IN, United States Review updated:

My future sister-in-law bought a new Phillips flat screen TV for 700.00 from Wal-Mart. When she got it home, she discovered that it was not the new TV she had paid for, but a TV that another customer had used and returned. The TV was dusty, the power cord was missing, and the stand was cracked. Of course, she returned the TV to the store. Once there, the store clerk compared the serial number of the TV with the serial number printed on the box, and found that they did not match. He ran the serial number on the TV through their computer and it came back listed as a customer-returned TV. One would think that it would be a simple matter for the store to replace the TV, since they had proof that no fraud had occurred on her part. One would be wrong. She was told that nothing could or would be done to correct this situation. They ventured that an employee in the electronics department had "accidentally" sealed the old, dusty, broken TV in a brand-new box and had put it back on the shelf. "It's not our fault, and it's not your fault, but there is nothing we can do for you." When informed that the TV is useless without a power cord, it was suggested that she contact the manufacturer, who might be able to sell her a replacement. My, but Wal-Mart has excellent customer service. "Sorry, can't help you, " is the response she got from every one with whom she spoke, all the way up the Wal-Mart food-chain. She is now awaiting a return call from Wal-Mart's corporate office. One sincerely hopes that she isn't holding her breath while she waits.

Comments

• I0
      14th of Feb, 2010

i hope she gets a new phone or her money back that is very unfortunate please let know what happens

• Al
      29th of Nov, 2015

I just bought a 39 in vizio about 7 pm last night got back home unpacked no Styrofoam.. no Manuel just remote stand and power cord... So u put the stand on plugged it in and cracks every where.. ..
    So I went to exchange it and they had no more ..and I didn't want a 32" and needed $25 for other tv that was nice so i asked what to do ..all other stuff happened real fast tgey called more managers..I guess a sticker upc thing was over the other one and one it was covering was a tv that wasn't purchased so they said it was a fraudulent return and were denying it .. I called me the online number they told me talk to a salary manager ..I asked for one and the guy said I already talked to 2 lol so got to callback the online # again