WageWorks / Customer service/claims denials

My husband uses a CPAP machine for sleep apnea. His employer switched FSA administration claims for the 2009 benefit year to Wageworks. Our health care plan leases the CPAP equipment to the patient on a monthly basis until the equipment has been paid for, (as patients may sometimes need to change the piece of equipment). Our FSA administrator in the past year has covered CPAP equipment.

As the annual insurance deductible renews in January, the entire lease payment is due out of pocket (to the tune of $139.26. The payment was charged to our Wageworks debit card. We received a card use verification form requesting the receipt for the item, which was faxed to them and then processed. The claim was denied.

I contacted Wageworks so-called customer service. The representative was almost entirely clueless, and could not tell me anything more than what I was able to read for myself on the Wageworks website. The customer service is completely divorced from Wageworks claims, and the representative could do nothing to elevate my concern over the claim denial. Further, she had no information as to "how" I could actual dispute the denial.

Not only are Wageworks customer service reps unempowered to do anything other than listen to a complaint, but the one I spoke with could not understand that a CPAP was a critical piece of medical equipment. I finally contacted the HR department for my husband's employer to elevate the issue (and hopefully negotiate with another FSA administrator next year).

Comments

22nd of Oct, 2009

I had a similar problem with oxygen costs. Not only wouldn't they agree that oxygen was a covered expense- they wanted to know what form I got the oxygen in - bottles, concentrator, etc. When in frustration I asked to speak to his supervisor, I got somewhere- after carefully explaining the situation to the supervisor, he was off the phone for some minutes and came back to tell me that it would be covered, but that reinstating the wageWorks card would take a few days. That part went smoothly enough. My new police- when you get stonewalled, ask to speak to a supervisor- they have more options. - Judy

• Fs
      23rd of Feb, 2011

Wageworks Customer service is a waste of time. I suspect they hire illegals from across the border to staff their call center in Texas. Supervisor's are not adequately trained to make decisions (common sense) on their own. Further complaints are directed to:
    Executive Escalation Team
    1100 Park Place
    San Mateo, CA 94403

You can bet they will recieve at least 2 pages from me.

• Cu
      6th of Dec, 2011

I agree 100% with these folks. WageWorks is a joke. I fought them over an electric toothbrush being covered that was perscribed by a doctor for receeding gums. I took it all the way to the IRS who said it SHOULD be covered. Threatened a lawsuit through the state of Illinois against WageWorks, that got their attention and they covered it. WageWorks=WasteWorks.