Vonage - Voip Internet Phone Service / Vonage charged me a lot for a lot of misery

I spent about $75.00 in fees to transfer a virtual line. I paid for 2 months of a second line, even though it wasn't working. I sent an e-mail asking for a refund because my phone quality was so poor I couldn't carry on a conversation, and was told I could not be refunded until the problem was fixed, which it never was...

I spent many hours "fixing" my phone line so it wouldn't cut out around once a minute for 10 seconds or so. I attempted to transfer my phone number 6 times, Having to wait 6-9 business days each time, so nearly 2 months, and my transfer request was rejected over and over. Finally I got the number transfered. When I called to cancel my service I was told I had left the special offer time period and would be changed $85.00 to cancel(including the cost for my vonage device, which I had been told I could return.) After saying, I just want to cancel my service, at least 6 times, while the person on the other end of the line tried to seemingly bribe me with first one, then 2, free months of service, among other "options", finally my account was canceled.

Va

Comments

• Cr
      19th of Jan, 2008

SUE for a full refund in small claims court. I won my claim. You can, too!

ALWAYS communicate with Vonage via POSTAL mail (paper).

Vonage is the new MCI: they're good at selling but have ZERO interest in customer service, have ZERO ethics, and don't even have the best audio codecs. You're call quality will suffer with vonage. Most of their money is spent on advertising. Their "support" model is like AOL: paying abusive cretins that use vonage with free vonage service. ZERO accountability!!

You're better off with VoicePulse.com or even voip.com. VoicePulse has the BEST quality audio codecs with the lowest compression. $20/mo unlimited National. They also offer lower bandwidth codecs. I use them. They're a little slow implementing new features. It's been TWO years and no new features.. but they will never screw you like vonage does.

For best results use a router that works with DD-WRT.com firmware!

--quote-start--

VoicePulse is the only service that offers five features to protect your privacy.

* Telemarketer Block stops telemarketers even before your phone rings.
    * Anonymous Call Block stops all unidentified calls. (I LOVE this feature!)
    * Do Not Disturb stops all calls.
    * Filters let you configure who can ring your phone and who can't. (puts an end to abusive family calls)
    * CallerID Block stops others from seeing your phone number when you make calls. (if I don't get to see who it is they are NOT ALLOWED to ring MY phone)

--quote-end--

voicepulse can also email voicemail.

Combine with YouMail.com for your mobile phone -- screw verizon wireless!

If you're techically savvy consider getting OPEN SOURCE asterisk and setting up your own VoIP system that's SIP friendly.. with EVERY FEATURE imaginable..

save even more money!!

asterisk.org

"Asterisk is the world’s leading open source telephony engine and tool kit. Offering flexibility unheard of in the world of proprietary communications, Asterisk empowers developers and integrators to create advanced communication solutions...for free"

asterisknow.org

"AsteriskNOW is an open source Software Appliance; a customized Linux distribution that includes Asterisk (the leading open source telephony engine and tool kit), the AsteriskGUI™, and all other software needed for an Asterisk system. AsteriskNOW is easy to install, and offers flexibility, functionality and features not available in advanced, high-cost proprietary business systems."

The VoIP providers, especially vonage, will hate me for informing you about asterisk! ;)

spread the word and screw vonage into non-existence

web ads suck too. never see another one. get all three easylists: http://easylist.adblockplus.org