[Resolved] Viking River Cruises / viking river cruise - changing cruise due to medical reason

-----------, Calfornia, US Review updated:
Phone: 000000000

My parents purchased a Viking river cruise to leave in April 2017 booking # 4408979. My mother had to have EMERGENCY surgery yesterday which lasted 7 1/2 hours. Her doctors informed her that she absolutely cannot travel, especially out of the country, and they would be happy to provide letters stating that fact for her. She is not going to be able to go on this trip in April. This is the very first time she has not purchased any type of insurance with her cruise. When I called Viking to ask them if there was anyway I could change, not cancel, but change their booking to another time I was told absolutely not. they are totally out of luck and will not receive any type of refund for the 4000+ dollars they spent nor can they pay a fee and change their booking. I do you understand that insurance was not purchased, but I am totally and completely baffled by the inability from Viking to take into consideration literally a life-threatening situation and not letting someone change their booking. I clearly I'm not happy about the situation and was not happy speaking with the agent on the phone. When I asked who I needed to go ahead and speak to above her I was just told a manager. She came back on the phone saying that she had spoke with the manager and there was nothing they could do because of the bike and cancellation policy. I totally lost my temper and just hung up because I am getting, and understand but I may still get nowhere. You can rest assured that my parents will not be traveling with Viking ever again if I cannot get a resolution, nor will anyone that I know or even talk to. As a dental hygienist you can be be sure I will share this story with everyone I come into contact with and the lack of customer service and compassion shown by this company. I am sure I will get a whole explaination about the cancellation policy and insurance, but warn you to not even respond if that is what you are coming back with. I would have truly appreciated talking with a manager, but was not given that opportunity. I am cautioning people like my parents who worked hard and saved so they could take these types of trips in their retirement to find another cruise line or option.

• Resolution statement

Kory Robinson from Viking Cruises corporate office has been in contact with me by phone (1-877-668-4546), and we are working towards a resolution in regards to my parents cruise. I understand that they are under no obligation to do anything for my parents, but due to extenuating circumstances she is willing to discuss options once my parents are able to make some decisions in that regards. After my initial horrid experience with VRC customer service I was truly concerned, but Kory's excellant customer service & concern for my parents situation has renewed my hopes that we will come to some type of agreement.

• Viking River Cruises Customer Care's Response, Mar 27, 2017

Dear PdrKar,

We are truly sorry to hear about your mother’s health, and hope she has a speedy recovery.

Our records indicate that a Viking representative has attempted to contact you regarding your parents’ booking, in hopes of attaining an amicable resolution. While we expect to connect with you by phone soon, please also feel free to reach out to us at [protected]@vikingcruises.com.

PdrKar, we thank you for allowing us the opportunity to respond to you and look forward to speaking with you.

Please send our best to your mother!

Kind regards,
    Viking Cruises

• Updated by PdrKar, Mar 28, 2017

I have been contacted by Kory at Viking Cruises Corporate offices. Kory has gone above and beyond (excellant customer service) in my opinion and we are working towards a resolution, so I am going to mark this complaint as resolved for now.

Pd
Mar 24, 2017

Comments

• Am
      Mar 24, 2017

My husband and I love cruising and a European river cruise is next on our list. After reading this review we will be looking into alternatives to Viking River Cruises. You would think they could at least let this poor couple reschedule their trip for a fee. Medical emergencies are stressful enough with out additional worries. After I read this review I looked online and saw that when AARP got involved other people without insurance had been allowed a refund for medical emergencies. I would say that sets a precedence.
    I don't understand why this lady was treated so poorly. If I do business with a company I expect to be able to speak with a manager if that is my request. That's just good business
    Viking River Cruises needs to spend less times making pretty commercials for PBS and more time on customer service.

• Pd
      Mar 27, 2017

Thank you so much for the message. I am currently awaiting a call back (unfortunately playing phone tag) from your representative. If I do not hear from her (although I am quite sure we will connect soon) I will be sure to send an e-mail as suggested. I appreciate your concern and look forward to speaking with somone.