Verizon Wireless / unauthorized text

1 GA, United States Review updated:

Verizon wireless is allowing companies to send unauthorized test to my phone, and verizon is charging me 9.99 for each one. Verizon says that I need to call the companies. When I have called they are bogus. The fact is that my payment is going to verizon, not these companies that they speak of. It is considered "premium test messaging" which I never signed up for, so I should not even be allowed to recieve these text. Who do you contact?

Ya

Comments

• Sk
      10th of Sep, 2009

• Mi
      21st of Sep, 2009

sk8788aj is right. all you have to do is reply "STOP". And btw, you more than likely signed up online by putting your phone number in on a website.

21st of Sep, 2009

that is correct if you happen to get a txt message that is txted you from a short code usually five or six digit number you should imeditially txt the word "stop" and wait for a reply stating this subscription has now been cancelled then contact vzw to have them place a block on premium txt messages. a premium txt message is a 3rd party charge. the companies bill your cell phone provider for these services and the cell phone provider forwards them on to the cell phone owners bill.

• Sl
      4th of Nov, 2009

Sorry to disagree with you but I had the same issue, and Verizon took care of it, refunded me the last 4 months of that charge, and put a block on the "premium text messaging" feature.

• Jb
      8th of Dec, 2009

i must warn you, the premium text messaging block cannot completely eliminate these charges. The block is designed to block the "premium" services that are in the Verizon database. Being so, any new services or shortcodes that are created may still get through. As stated previously Premium Text messaging is a third party charge that is typically established through online sites. The best way to avoid these charges is to not put your phone number in anything that says you can get ringtones or your hororscope. Speaking from experience teenagers are typically the ones who "accidentally' sign up as they do not read the fine print. Should your number even once get put on one of these sites, you could begin to receive offers from other, at that point you would want to reply "stop all" for each different message.

• Cc
      17th of Dec, 2009

I just signed with Verizon 2 months ago and was hit with the $9.99 charge this month, I am really mad, would gladly dump them if I could. They have not offered to resolve this yet so I decided to complain to anyone and everyone I could. The FCC, BBB, FTC and of course Verizon have each received long letters detailing the scam. As I have researched on linr I find that there are thousands of victims from all the cell companies, even the prepays. Please take the time to send an e-mail to as many of these agencys as you can, maybe if we all keep hammering we can generate a class action law-suit.

• Bl
      17th of Dec, 2009

Just Go to www.BlackListNow.com
    fill out a simple form explain what happened.
    YOU will be amazed how quickly the BlackListNow.com lawyers and media department will have your concerns resolved.
    They do charge $5.00 -- If you want to share in the proceeds of the class action lawsuit.
    Or you can make a FREE report and NOT share in the proceeds..

• Em
      24th of Feb, 2010

stop texting for late night hook up sites is my solution to all your problems! or texting those numbers for getting stupid little ringtones!

• Wo
      3rd of Apr, 2010

If you would quit using your cell # to think you are getting free ring tones or wall papers or any other crap online where it states please enter your cell # for results or other bs like that then you wouldnt have those charges and if you reply STOP to any text you get besides from people you know you could avoid this problem. PS quit giving your kids cell phones that are on a contract they dont read the fine print if they are between 1-18 dont give them one unless you are stupid they are always on there lines and not yours ha ha ha you [censored]

• Dr
      21st of Apr, 2010

this is a 3rd party deal all the way. Verizon does not charge anything. the way it works is somehow you've gotten enrolled into this company's trap. ever see the commercials that say text whatever to such and such and get free ringtones, games, whatever? These companys have websites that offer and do the same. These two methods normally get kids. In addition surveys and so forth that users fill out with their mobile numbers are often sold to these company's for this purpose. The devil is in the details, read ALL fine print. well the fine print is they charge you normally something like $9.99 a month. they bill the wireless carrier which then turns the bill over to you. There is no inflation or service fees or anything the carrier imposes. These are easily canceled by sending the word "stop" in a text message to the 5 digit number thats billing you. this number can be found at the end of your detailed billing and shows as premium sms.
    Last but not least, realize and accept the fact that this in no way has anything to do with your carrier. They cannot credit i backt to you because they didn't charge you for it to begin with. Be responsible and accept the fact that though you don't know how you got enrolled in whatever acknowledge it was by no fault of your wireless carrier. Normally a quick search online or asking your carrier if they can lookup the company that was charging you will yield a phone number. These are the people to pursue for credits as they're the ones charging you. They may even be able to tell you how exactly you became enrolled in their trap.

Bottom line, place blame where it belongs and pursue the culprit not the wireless carrier. Remember "don't shoot the messenger", your wireless carrier was billed from these people on your behalf not theirs. Above and beyond all else, keeping this in mind, be polite if you do decide to talk to the carrier. I work for one and see it everyday. I'm much more willing to help someone and go above and beyond when your nice. Remember mom saying "treat others how you would expect to be treated"

• Cr
      14th of Sep, 2010

Just reply stop, u can call verizon and get the website and name of the company and contact them directly for a refund! The block stops most, and if u have the block and a charge comes through they will credit it back. But never put your number online because thats where it comes from.

• Mz
      17th of Sep, 2010

Yankee that happen to me a few months ago. I called Verizon and talked to a representative. The rep took my information and credited my account for the two months I was charged. Then I had him put a block on my phone to avoid it happening again. Most people don't know, when you go on the Internet and surf if the site asks for your mobile number and you provide it to them, this could be a way they get your information and make these monthly charges. I know mine was for getting information from surrounding restaurants and recipes.

WARNING!!! Always read the fine print before you submit your information. I didn't know that I would be charged for each month for this service until I went back and read it. Luckily I kept the code in my telephone and was able to resolve this issue with Verizon. Then I called the company and they immediately canceled the services, so they would not charge me any more.

• Ra
      29th of Mar, 2011

My 18 yr old fulltime high school student has a cell phone bill for 1 month of 687.00 in international texts that he did not make . These texts were going to Austria and the Rep of Africa. Called Verizons to ask them to check into this for us as we didn't send these text messages. We spent 2 weeks waiting for them to check with the "fraud" dept as Cust. service also thought this was a fraud . All they can tell us is that the texts DID come from this phone but that WE WILL be held reponsible . The texts were going 24 hours a day for the entire month. We were able to track down a web site that was on one of the pic texts msg and it is a computer generated site... Verizons can not look at anything on the internet to see that we have down THEIR leg work. I have turned this into the Att General of Iowa and heard nothing back as of yet. Verizons did give us a credit of 210.00 towards the bill. Still leaving us to pay 487.00 . Not gonna happen. Verizon and I have never had issues in the past. Feel like they have let me down by NOT helping me get to the bottom of this.

• My
      30th of Aug, 2011

my opinion is to reply back to the text STOP and when you send that you should get another text back saying that it is canceled When I did that I was charged for another $9.99 SMS Premium text message

• Zo
      18th of Sep, 2011

THEY DID THIS TO ME AS WELL FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS. I PAY MY BILL TO VERIZON AND IF THEY CAN'T PROVE THAT I AGREED TO ANYONE CHARGING ON MY ACCOUNT... THEN THEY NEED TO REVERSE IT AND NEVER LET THEM DO IT AGAIN. I AM DEALING WITH VERIZON ON ANOTHER ISSUE NOW. THEY AGREED TO A CONTRACT ON THE PHONE AND NOW THAT I HAVE THE PHONE AND THE CONTRACT (WHICH DIDN'T STATE THE AGREED UPON AMOUNT) THEY SAID IF I WANTED TO LISTEN TO THE RECORDED CONVERSATION THAT I NEED TO SUBPOENA THE INFORMATION. IF ANYONE EXPERIENCED THE SAME TYPE OF PROBLEM THEN LET ME KNOW. I AM GOING TO SEE IF THERE IS ENOUGH OF THIS GOING ON TO FILE A CLASS ACTION SUIT. ZOYIEBMW@GMAIL.COM