Verizon Fios / terrible technical support!

Words cannot describe how angry i am at verizon fios's tech support.

Last monday, i began having e-mail problems. I could receive e-mail from everyone, but could send to no one. I called verizon tech support, and was told to enter my e-mail address on the " whitelist " form. Two hours later i had e-mail for about an hour. I called again, and a technician " took control " of my computer to diagnose the problem. He deduced that my e-mail [ incoming and outgoing ] were wrong. My settings came from the web provider who hosts my website. I advised him that the settings worked fine for the last 3 years, and began having a problem just last week. He said this was impossible. He advised me to switch my e-mail settings and i would be fine.

Now this tech session would have been much more productive if this young american could have spoken english. This will sound racist, but at this point i really do not care. I felt i was talking ll coo j, or another rapper. I understood little of what he was saying, and had to have him repeat himself constantly. He also forgot the most important part of communication. Listening.

After about a week of not being able to communicate with clients, i called to speak to a supervisor. Again, this will sound racist, but i think i got transferred to bagdahd. The person on the phone spoke little if any english, and literally would not listen to any of my explanations. He reiterated the previous tech's thoughts and told me there is no way my settings could have worked. He also had control of my computer, and took the liberty of changing the settings to verizon's. He said it would work fine, and we parted.

Of course, it did not work, using either account settings.

On a hunch, and to be fair, i contacted my web-host. A tech rep literally took less than 1 minute to find, and fix my problems. We changed some settings in the internet explore menu, and i have had no problems for 24 hrs.

My question is why do verizon tech people not have this basic knowledge.

I am disappointed to say the least. I cannot for the life of me understand how a company can hire people who lack even basic communications skills. Are they aware of how difficult it is to get any help, if only one person speaks intelligently enough to be understood?

I'll probably be shopping around for another provider soon!!!

Comments

• Ta
      11th of Jul, 2007

For all of you complaining... look at it this way... AT LEAST YOU HAVE SERVICE!!

I ordered FIOS at the end of May, and after two reschedules on their part, and the third where no one showed up... you catch my drift. To make it even better, a month later, when the tech does come out, he only installs the outside lines, and leaves in the early afternoon because he 'can't work overtime'...leaving me hanging once again, as no one followed up. On my FOURTH appointment, they finally got it installed... yet, I have had NO PHONE SERVICE. Its towards the end of July mind you...

I have spent over thirty hours on the phone, talked to approximately 20 people (as I call every day now just to get my point across) and no one can seem to figure out what the problem is, and the tickets keep getting pushed from one office to the other, no one letting me in on what is going on. I can't wait for the first bill, as I assume I have been charged since the inception of this catastrophe. Needless to say... I hate verison as of right now, and even though I detest Cablevision more due to the monopolization of that company in my area... they are looking better and better and better as the days go by.

• Kd
      2nd of Jan, 2008

i had same experience with Verizon customer care service. They spent billion $ to build the most advanced FIOS platform for TV, internet and VoIp phone service. But they are the worst in customer care. I did not encounter many FIOS tech and my FIOS installation went very well and I enjoy watching FIOS TV and high speed FIOS internet. I bought new LCD TV before Christmas and ordered a HD STB. I was told the order could take up to 2 -3 business days. I ordered the HD STB on 12/07/2007 and I have not yet received it yet. I have made 5 calls to verizon. On the evarage, every calls lasts about 1 hour. The longest calls were 1 hour 45 minutes. Everytime I called, I was routed around from sale rep to billing account rep and to technical support reps. Most calls resulted with false promises that the problem was resolved. But the problem still exists in the system and I am still waiting for the HD STB to be delivered. Their customer care person kept telling that they had submitted trouble ticket to their IT to fix the problem but it seems no-one is working on the trouble.

While their FIOS is good, their customer care service and their customer system is awfully [censored] bad.

I am looking from verizon website for the VP who is responsible for IT and customer care service and I want to send him my [censored] complaining letter.

KDN

• Fi
      17th of May, 2008

Being a Verizon employee I agree that our customer service is horrible. Our company lost focus on taking care of the customer. The management staff is too worried about making their numbers. Jobs per day quota for the field technicians and call handling time for the online reps. Unfortunately for you the customer you've become nothing but a widget. (A statistic in getting your job done as fast a possible never mind the quality) Fortunately when all of Verizon customers leave us Techs can go work for the competitors. Did I mention we are all being replaced anyways by contract employees who give even less of a dam? Verizons new company motto should be.."Customers are just another widget"

• De
      15th of Nov, 2008

I think they only have 2 people working the tech support phones. It's amazing how long it takes to navigate the web to get the number after which you have navigate their stupid automated system just to be put on hold for 15 minutes to speak with a support person who half the time does not know what's doing on. I've only had FIOS for two months and had to call them three times. Seems they have an issue with their set top box hardware as ours had to be replaced twice. I'm ready to switch back to Comcast and offer to be a spokes person for the terrible service and product FIOS / Verizon really is.

• Yu
      28th of Sep, 2009

I can tell you why all of you are unsatisfied with FioS. You keep getting horrible rep's and its not your fault. I work for Verizon FioS have for a year now and i can say the same thing's about a lot of the people there. No one take's there job seriously enough and they don't want to take the time to learn anything. Not bragging at all but i constantly get told how great of a technician i am. I actually took the time to learn all the correct material plus some, and i care about everyone of Verizon's customers. To be honest i am 3rd party through Verizon so i am not officially even with them but i love the work. I hope that i get the opportunity to work with any body who reads this post and has problem's with there service. I will be glad to fix anything, and if I cant fix it then i will definitely point you in the correct direction!

• Cu
      26th of Nov, 2010

HOw can such a large company have such poor customer service - across the board, no matter what the area. You will lose this customer absolutely!!