Verizon / scam don't pay bill

1 Bloomington, United States Review updated:

My husband recieved a letter from AFNI collections stating thet he owes for a Verizon bill. He called the 800# and the lady said that he is responsible for the bill because his name is on the bill. My husband told the lady that he never had a phone in his name at that time. She did give an address where he once lived. What we don't understand is why they are sending a bill for a phone that never existed at that resident. He did tell the lady at the end of the conversations that he is not paying for the bill and if they have to they can take him to court...PLEASE understand that you are being scammed for a bill that should have never been billed to you...

Comments

• Be
      1st of Sep, 2008

I just received my phone bill and realized a $181.48 charge for a phone call to Varna, Bulgaria. I tried various online sites trying to get the rate from Verizon but could not get the information. I could not find it in your phone book either. I check various sites and got quotes that ranged between $.029 and $.259 a minute Mobile being more expensive I do not believe I should have to pay this outrageous rate.

I used Verizon realizing it would be more expensive but it was an emergency. I did not have time to push all sorts of buttons to try and talk to an operator. Never did I think I would be charged over $5.00 a minute. I still do not know how much a minute I was charged or how long the call was as all the bill listed was Voice Additional Charges. Upon receiving the bill, I called the billing department. After pushing many button and about ten minutes later I spoke to the International Billing Department. I Received a $5.00 refund for the first call I made and left a message. My bill was $216.13 for the call with a Freed Value deduction of $34.49 making the total $181.49.

I think it is out outrageous that Verizon charges these rates and the customer does not have easy access to the costs. It is just a way for Verizon to promote international service at an extra charge per month. What about the occasional international caller? I think your rates should be listed on line and in the phone book. I believe Verizon is targeting the immigrant population who do not know the language and sales pitch and take your service instead of phone cards. Why can"t Verizon charge reasonable rates.

After making the call, I received several calls from telemarketer asking if I wanted to buy additional service for international calls. How dare you invade my privacy! It is not anyone's business to know what international calls I make; even worse to pass that information on to telemarketers. Not only are you invading my privacy but annoying me with telemarketer phone calls. To make matters worse after refusing the telemarker, I keep getting calls. Does no mean anything. If I wanted international service, I would call and inquire about it. I am sure if I want to buy a product your company would have no problems providing me with the information

I was considering adding Verizon Cable Service but after this outrageous bill I am checking into At&T and other telephone services and internet services. I am even considering selling my Verizon stock.

• Li
      23rd of Mar, 2009

My husband just received a letter in the mail from afni regarding a settlement offer on an old Verizon phone bill. He has never had a Verizon phone. Is this just a bulk mailing scam?