Value City Furniture / All kinds of problems

First of all, I am not "Wowed" with Value City Furniture. The family room set I ordered (the sofa, loveseat chair and ottoman) all had 4 different availability dates. That alone is frustrating. I ordered the complete set on May 28, 2008...I am still waiting for 2 more of the 4 total pieces to be available. The last piece will not be available until July 2 when everything was supposed to be ready to go by June 17...I think it's a bit ridiculous to have to wait over a month to get furniture pieces that Value City itself manufactures.

I am also somewhat dissatisfied because the throw pillows do not match…they aren't the same fabric dye lot, yet they are supposed to sit on the same couch together... it looks horrible. It’s frustrating because I bought the American Signature line that the store offers which is supposed to be better quality.

I realize that Value City Furniture is aimed toward more budget-conscious people, but money is not free and I expect excellent service and quality products, along with matching fabrics when I make a major purchase like furniture. Although I bought from Value City, the American Signature line is more mid-priced when compared with other brands, and I feel I am not getting what I paid for.

I did my research on this website before buying from Value City…I DIDN’T fall for the fabric protection plan thanks to the recommendation of many reviews on this site. Even though the sales associate really tried hard to get me to buy $200 worth of extra fabric protection, I ended up just buying my own spray protector myself.

In all honesty, I initially felt comfortable buying from Value City Furniture because I bought my mattress set there years ago and I love it, yet with this entire family room set, I am very frustrated and somewhat dissatisfied with the fabric colour and availability delays. Buyers Proceed with Caution!

Va

Comments

• Li
      30th of Nov, 2008

I agree with all this complaints, we purchased over 2220.00 in furniture in columbus. at one time this was a good place and sold quality furniture to the middle class buyer. we went in and the salesman was helpful, we purchased the furniture and paid cash.
    two days before it was to be delievered he said the cashier made a mistake and wanted us to bring in 300.00 more we told him no cancel the order, we said they should take the loss since it was their mistake, they eventually discounted somethings and because we were in a desperate stituation we went ahead with the purchase. I found the employees unfriendly, cold and rude lacking customer service. this isnt the value city I use to know, the prices are to high and they tried to push the warranty and fabric protection on us. I will be looking for another store, the quality of the furniture has also changed.

• Je
      21st of Nov, 2009

I purchased a dresser and paid for it immediately. So far it has not been delivered. Today was the second delivery date and still no dresser. I called and again was informed "oops it was never ordered" Amazingly it was never ordered but my money was taken out of my account. So the next delivery date is a week from now. I am trying to cancel the order now because I have already taken two afternoons off from work and I will not take a third. This is the most pathetic service I have ever seen. Oh I purchased this at the store in Liverpool, New York.

• Lo
      23rd of Jun, 2010

In February 2009 I purchased a Lane recliner rocker chair from the Value City store in Beavercreek OH. In December of 2009 I noticed the chair was not operating correctly, even though I was basically the only one using it. I made a phone call to the store and a repairman came to look at the chair at the end of January. I am still waiting for the chair to be repaired. Over the course of several months and many phone calls and delays, I finally spoke to a store manager that seemed to be on the ball and acted as if he was truly making an effort to get to the bottom of the problem as to why it was taking such a ridiculous amount of time to get the chair repaired. Once again, after several back and forth phone calls, he assured me that the all the parts has been ordered, , , , apparently when the repairman originally visited, he didn't turn in the repair parts order or at least that is what I was lead to believe. Three weeks ago was the last time I spoke to anyone, and I initiated that phone call and was told that all the parts came in except for one and that was expected the next day, , , , still waiting and basically have given up on getting the chair repaired. I will never purchase another item from the store and as far as I am concerned the Lane manufacturer has lost all credibility with me.

8th of Feb, 2011
    Value City Furniture - I have waited for over 18 hours in order to get my furniture delivered!
    Value City Furniture

I can't even begin to describe the awful customer service that Value city has provided. I bought a bedroom set from them in December 2010. It took them 4 delivery times to get it correct and over 18 hours of window delivery time for them to actually get it right. They first delivered the set and the media stand was broken and so I had they had to redeliver and I was given another 3 hour window in which they would deliver. When they arrived the second time of couse they had the order incorrect AGAIN! So I had to schedule another delivery time with another 2 hour woindow...which they were unable to make again and I was called at the end of my window to be told that the truck just left their warehouse and it would be at least another 2 hours before they could come to my house so I had to reschedule AGAIN-4th time again I was given a 2 hour window 10-12 and of course they were not at my house at 12 so I called and was told that it would be another 30 minutes. 30 minutes later I called back as they were still not there and then I was told that the truck was in a ditch. They finally showed up at 2:35-two and half hours after my window...on their FOURTH attempt on trying to get my furniture correct.

• Mm
      16th of Jun, 2011
    Value City Furniture - Don't even try
    Value City Furniture

I am an informed consumer. I read all of the complaints regarding VCF and determined that the majority of the issues were delivery related?. I decided to try give VCF a try and pick-up my couch". I guess I knew after all the complaints something would be wrong - I examinded the packaging for damage and read every piece of marking indicating that the couch was the blue that I had ordered!.

I get home, my friend whose truck we used left and I find I am now the disgusted owner of a mint green couch for my mauve and blue living room/. The order, the receipt and packaging all indicate the blue couch that I ordered". Now if there was any chance I am color blind, the couch came with a set of pillows that are comprised of the all the colors the couch is available in/. Needless to say it sticks out like a sore thumb in my house and I curse VCF each and every day".

Everyone reading these posts who thinks you will have better luck, you have been warned!

• Co
      23rd of Jul, 2012

I bought the McKinsley sofa for $999 and less than two years the color is coming off in spot. Since it is out of warranty I asked the manager if I could PAY to have it fixed. They won't even send someone if i PAY them. I have purchased a lot of furniture over the years and you would think they would want to satisfy the customer. NEVER AGAIN!

• Mo
      15th of Jan, 2013

I brought a sectional sofa in 2010 and paid for warranty. In September. 2012 the recliner got caught onto the bottom of the sofa which was not supposed to happen? and it ripped. I called warranty service I was so glad that I had a 7 year warranty. I was told they would need to order it and I I need to take a picture of the rip and mail to them. I asked if I could email the pictures and was told yes. When I call to check the status I was told they never received the picture... ok I resent it. I called in and I was told that they didn't get in and was told to send it to a different email address which I did. Ok so months and months passes by and no called from them. I called back in December and I was told they had to order it fromChina.. I'm like huh ok? which I was told they would call me when the fabric comes in . I t wasn't until yesterday Jan.14th2013 when I decided to call, that I was told that they do not have the fabric and they not longer make the sectional that I have. I was given two choice... go to the store and pick out a sectional at the same price and by new warranty as they do not tranfer the warranty or they would refund me $699.00 back and I would no longer have warranty.. which sound like a joke because they no longer make the sofa that I have.

• Bu
      9th of Nov, 2013

Columbus OH - Once you purchase an item and pay for the delivery it is an untenable disaster to get the items delivered as promised. Bought a Bed Set - Mattress and Boxspring...to be delivered on a Friday...only the boxspring came (this was a SET) I called and complained, and they said they would have the Mattress out to me by Saturday. Saturday the call comes - starting with asking me whether I wanted the Mattress delivered on Monday or Tuesday - I told them it had been promised for that day - they said that they could not deliver it that day...even though they had scheduled it because it had not come in before. On the phone they came across with a 'take it or leave it' attitude...knowing that they had the payment, and that my delivery was merely a subject of their 'whim'... I told the lady on the phone to call one of the Managers and have them find a Mattress to put on their truck and get it out to me, that this practice was unacceptable...I received mumbling, and the phone was disconnected. Based on my experience, I would not have ANY item delivered from them, and in Fact, I would not pay them anything unless they have it in their store to be taken right away. The Business practices are very questionable, and the Customer Service is like listening to a politician...

• Ki
      20th of Oct, 2016

I am on my fifth set of furniture since march and still waiting for a credit back to my debit card !!! it only been a month since I was told they were going to credit me !! I have called four different times and talked to four different customer service people, they keep telling me they did it today !!!
    I'm done with value city furniture ...

• Ri
      7th of Dec, 2016

I want to preface this by saying I'm not the guy that lives to complain. In fact, it really takes a lot to get me to write one of these reviews.
    That being said, Value City Furniture is so bad it's not even funny. First, the delivery crew couldn't assemble the TV stand and ultimately damaged the door. I refused delivery and they had to bring another one about a month later. Then, the guy dripped a big glob of glue on my rug. It was an old rug so I didn't push the issue. About 6 weeks after receiving the love seat the mechanism that releases the recliner portion of the literally fell off. I called customer service, waited the obligatory 45 minutes to get a live person, and was told to send a picture of the damage. I was told they would call back in a few days. No call back. When I called back I spoke to a rep (after another hour on hold) who said they probably need to order a part. Again, no call back. It's about a month later and I'm waiting on hold again. This time they tell me the customer service manager just left. I'm at my wit's end. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS STORE!!!

• Su
      11th of Aug, 2018

I went to The Value City Furniture at 6067 E Main St, Columbus, OH 43213. I was waited on by a professional and patient man named Mr. Jeremy. He was calm (when I wasn't) kind and understanding. Later the next week I received several calls regarding verification of purchase, address and delivery date and window. Everyone that I spoke with was pleasant and accurate. Then today (on time and fighting the rain) two very pleasant young men came to deliver and assemble my bedroom suite. They were professional, quiet, and quick. This whole experience from start to finish could not have gone any better in my eyes. You all are doing a wonderful job and are a true example of Excellent customer service and going above and beyond. I will be a customer for life. Thank you Sincerely TD