U.S. Bank Car Leasing / I will never lease a car from U.S. Bank again

Over the past twenty years I've leased many, many cars. At the end of each lease I've turned in the car and have never -- not once -- been charged for any out of he ordinary wear. All of the cars I've turned in had some minor scratches, the occasional door ding, and so forth. No charges. Ever.

U.S. Bank, on the other hand, seems to have discovered a profit center in charges for "out of the ordinary" wear. After 39 months of use on a Lexus RX330, they found a buffable scratch on the front fender, treads too low on one tire, and scratches on the outer 1/2" of the rim or two wheels. The total charges for wear are $836.00. There is not a single other scratch on the car -- anywhere.

I called to tell them that I was willing to pay for the worn tire, but the scratches on the rims were going too far. I was curtly told that this is in their stated policy and that I could write a letter but they would bill me regardless. Thank you for calling U.S. Bank.

I will never lease a car from them or use any other U.S. Bank service. They have no interest in the customer and they appear to be using fine print to boost the bottom line.

A  17th of Sep, 2007 by
I also had a infiniti fx45 leased w/ US Bank, and wasn't happy with their customer services. Two months after I paid the termination bill with all the fees they had charged they send me a bill for a "new" wear and tear item. I am trying to dispute the charge.
A  2nd of Oct, 2007 by
I had almost the exact same experience. I have leased 7 or 8 cars in the past and always return them in very good condition. Leased a Lexus IS300 for 4 years and returned it in extremely good/clean condition. US Bank came up with $700 of really nit-picky "excess wear" charges, mostly small scratches on the bumpers. I agree - I will NEVER do business with these people again. I am also kind of upset with my local Lexus dealer in setting up the lease through USBank.
A  15th of Dec, 2007 by
I too have had a similar problem with a Suburu Outback. The $750 charge includes $200 for 24 chips on the bumper... now if that's not normal wear and tear I don't know what is. Clearly, unlike the Manufacture's own leasing companies, this is a transaction, rather than a relationship. I urge everyone one to publicize these deceptive trading practices so others don't get similalry swindled.
A  22nd of Jan, 2008 by
I agree with the lack of services and operations from US Bank. Who can we report this sub-standard service. This is the worst financial services organization. NO ONE in their organization has a clue of what is happening with my lease and this experience is a nightmare.
A  20th of Feb, 2008 by
So these cowboys also include a superfluous monthly payment and late charge on the final bill which is over and above contractual payments already made. When I called them on it, they said it was for not returning the car to the original dealer although all subsequent paperwork received from them said this wasn't necessary providing you notified them... which I did. Given that they removed it immediately and they disguised is as another "monthly" payment is further evidence of their decpetive trading practices. This is a class-action lawsuit waiting to happen. Count me in when someone gets round to it.
A  12th of Mar, 2008 by
I am in the midst of freeing myself from US Bank. They are without a doubt the most difficult financial institution I have ever dealt with. They want to get it all on the first round because they must be aware they will never ever get repeat business. I actually ask the rep I talked with how they treated their bad customers because this good customer certainly felt abused! Never ever do business with US BANK, I agree whole heartedly that a class action suit might get their attention.
A  1st of Apr, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I'm also having an unpleasant experience with US Bank and my lease termination. I had the Lexus RX330 pre-inspected before it was picked up. The only thing that showed up on the inspection was that the floor mats were missing. I had the car completely detailed and the floor mats were steam cleaned and were drying in my garage. When I got the final inspection, they listed $1880.00 in damages. It was like they inspected a the wrong vehicle. I was never late with a payment, I had the car detailed before termination, and it was delivered at under the specified lease miles and they still want to squeeze more $ out of the lease. I refused to pay the damages and told them I was contesting the charges. The customer service rep didn't sound surprised with my statement. If anyone is reading these complaints and are near the lease termination with US Bank, make sure you take lots of pictures of your lerase vehicle and prepare to do battle!
A  4th of Apr, 2008 by
I had the same thing just happen. My cars are always in great shape when I am done with them. I've leased 5 cars prior to this one and never been assessed any charges for "excess wear" but they sent out a guy who spent an hour going over every square inch of this car and found a half dozen buffable scratches which they are saying I have to pay $439 to refinish...total B.S.

Don't ever lease a car from the thieves at US Bank!
A  9th of Apr, 2008 by
I also had many many many problems with US Bank! They kept charging me late fees even though ALL OF MY PAYMENTS WHERE MADE ON TIME! I had many go rounds with them. And they constantly called me ### about not recieving the monthly lease payment which they did because it showed in my account that the check had been cashed. They added up over $500.00 worth of late charges that were bogus! I turned the vehicle in this march and had a payment fo through days after I turned it in. I contacted US Bank and told them that a payment was made after the vehicle was turned in. They told me they would refund the money immediatley. Well needless to say I have yet to receive my refund to this point and its been well over a month and a half! I called them at least a half dozen times about it and have been told thats it's been sent out. Well where is it? Funny how they are all up in your ### when they want their money but take a lifetime to refund. Time to call them everyday like they do to their customers!

I will never deal with US Bank ever again. Serious issues with their accounting for payments and bad book keeping.
A  28th of Apr, 2008 by
I have been leasing cars since 1994. Each and every one of the cars that I have returned has been in excellent condition. I have never been charged for any "ANY" thing upon returning the vehicles. I recently completed a three year lease on a XC90 in “excellent” condition with US BANK. Not one single dent, 7 pencil sized rock chips in the hood and lower bumper. They sent me a final bill for $871.00 for, a windshield with a chip the size of an eraser head next to the windshield wiper. Not in the drivers view, only able to be seen from the outside of the vehicle. The rest of the cost is for, motor oil (change every 7500 miles), trans oil (change at 52000 miles), power steering, (Volvo owners manual states power steering fluid does not need to be changed) brake fluid (change at 30000 miles), The report said they are all dirty. Dirty? The inspector never looked at the dip sticks or opened the brakes master cylinder. The vehicle only had 23995 miles. US Bank is the worst banking intuition I have every dealt with and I will never deal with them again!!! One can only hope that more people will read these comments before they enter into a wallet draining contract with US BANK!
A  8th of May, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I bought out my lease over a year ago. I had 3000.00 in excessive fees which i paid. This past month i recieved a letter from the ### saying i have 355.00 worth of personal property tax that i need to pay. They haven't had a contract with me in almost a year and now they want this. I would never lease or do business with us bank.
A  24th of May, 2008 by
I turned in a 2005 Chrysler 300C at lease end, leased through U.S. Bank, to the dealer from which I leased it. Three weeks later, I received a letter from U.S. Bank demanding another $430 for "Contractual Termination Fee" plus tax. I haven't talked to them about it yet, but I intend to demand proof from them that they can charge this fee, that they have never mentioned, after the lease has been satisfied. Probably not going to pay it. If they damage my credit rating so I can't buy a new car, who cares? Until new cars get over 60mpg, I'm not buying one anyway. Not doing further business with U.S. Bank under any circumstances.
A  28th of May, 2008 by
I just received a bill for 1700. The inspector said the car had normal wear. US Bank provided a list of of charges with an emphasis on paint scratches and a missing decal on a wheel ($500!) Crooks!
A  17th of Jun, 2008 by
This happened with my wife's Volvo too.

My suggestion is people start suing them in small clams court. This will drive them nuts and cost you little to nothing - possibly some of your time if they decide not to let the fees go.

A  26th of Jun, 2008 by
The WORST. A cretin just called from U.S. Bank as my wife's auto lease -- which I pay -- is with them, unfortunately.

He refused to tell me what the call was about, because my name is not on the lease because she wanted to do it herself. I hope they get mass-sued, class action and beyond.
A  30th of Jul, 2008 by
I turned in a lease on a VW Toureg with 5000 unused miles and fairly new tires. US Bank did to me what they did to all of the above - riduculous wear and tear charges. They origianally sent me after 29 days from turning the car in a bill with just an amount for over $1, 000 - no detail. When I asked for detail they actually sent me a detailed form with pencil line outs reducing the bill about $100 - think about that charges crossed out in pencil. I have sent them two registered letters disputing every charge and I fully intend on turning this over to an attorney no matter the legal costs.

I will keep people posted on whether I win or lose.

Incidentally I believe the vehicle was in tip top shape period.
A  5th of Aug, 2008 by
I Totally Agree, My wife and I Bought a seqouia and lost our baby and our business all in the same 3 months. We had no choice but to return the vehicle to them. I apologized and explained I am a business owner and have no insurance so I am getting hammered with hospital bills. I put DVD's in this running boards all with my own money. Well I got a letter that they are going to Sue me for $37000.00 They said the car auctioned for 15 grand...I am speachless...Heartless people. I mean it had less than 2000 miles and in perfect shape...I Don't know what I am going to do..
A  26th of Aug, 2008 by
Just returned my wife's 2005 Volvo XC-90. EXACTLY the same complaints as the original post: $900 in BS "excess wear" charges for scratches on two rims ($600) and a "cut" on the black rubber rear bumper ($300). Note that this was a SUV that I had detailed and run through the body shop to remove dings.

They said I had a "late charge" pending because I made a late payment at some point (they couldn't tell me when or why it wasn't charged against my account at the time it happened). When I explored it, I discovered that they had called me on an unreceived auto withdrawl payment so I paid them directly (over the phone) and then the auto payment had gone through. So after the owned up to the double payment, they credited me back the late fee and the payment, but kept it to go against the lease termination fee and the other charges.

Of course, all is forgiven/credited if you buy the car (which they contacted me 20 times to do.)

In fact, the only reason I found this chain is because I was trying (in vain) to find a contact number in the leasing department to complain and make sure that they don't keep auto-debiting my account (which my dealer whispered to me that U.S. Bank does and then makes it hard for you to get it back!)

A  28th of Aug, 2008 by
Us bank is the worst bank I have ever dealt with.
I have other bank send them checks over the mail for my payments. I make sure to send the paments at least 12 days before they are due. At least 3 times US Bank claims they did not get the checks eventhough my bank showed theat it was mailed on time. They did not remove the late fees. Since then I was going myself to the branch and paying at the teller.
I too, got a $950 bill for little dings and scratches. I had my body shop fix it for $600. I am returning the car tomorrow. Let's see what they say...
To be continued.
A  30th of Aug, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Please call your local dealers and corporate headquarters of your auto companies and send them this page link. I would like to see USBANK removed as an option from all major dealerships.

I wanted to make you aware of how bad USBank treats your customers. Please read this link: https://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/us-bank-car-leasing-c9117.html I have bought 4 cars from you in the five years and am so upset with you recommending USBank that I may not come back. I would like Infinti to take issue with USBank at the corporate level and make this right for your customers.

US Bank / US Bancorp Logo US Bank / US Bancorp